It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 13th Anniversary.........and a small story  (Read 16675 times)

Offline CaptB

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
13th Anniversary.........and a small story
« on: August 20, 2016, 04:03:31 AM »
Hi All,

I am making by annual appearance here on RWD. My wife and I just had our 13th anniversary on August 8. Still haven't killed each other.........still have a lot in common (which keeps us from killing each other :-) For years I came here after my marriage......to offer advice....etc. I started out back in 1998 on the RWG (Russian Women Guide).
Back then there were maybe 350 - 400 guys (tops). But except for the ocassional "Troll" ............most were actually serious about the searching for a mate in the former FSU. I was surprised by the large percentage of guys who "actually" visited the FSU. I came across the RWG accidentally. I was planning a month-long trip to Australia. I had been divorced for about eight years and had not had an "adult" vacation in years. If you have children......you know what I mean. In searching various travel websites one day.....I came across a Russian Women dating site. Up until then I didn't know the phenomenon even existed. I was intrigued......but not seriously interested. One day I came across the RWG and started reading posts. At this point it was just for entrainment ......only. My dating life was very good.....I was happy with the status-quo.

One day I was reading a post by a guy from the upper peninsula of Michigan. He was from Escanaba........I was from Marquette......about 50 miles apart. He had been to Russia several times.......and was using an American/Russian dating agency called "Lifetime Partners". They had an office in California.......and one in Tver, Russia. I told "Chuck" from Escanaba I would give him a call some evening. We talked......I was intrigued. Not about finding a RW.......but in his knowledge on the subject of "Russia". Russia was on my "short list" of places to visit someday. I had hitch-hiked with a college roommate from Marquette, Michigan......to fort Lauderdale, Florida.......in December....1978.
We were vacationing for 10 days.......and had exactly $105.00 US between us. On New Years eve we hitched from Fort Lauderdale to Homestead......and arrived about 8am. With our thumbs-out.......we managed by 5pm to "NOT !!!!!!!!" arrive at our final destination.......KEY WEST. After hitching from Northern Michigan to florida......our luck had run-out. We spent an entire day "NOT" hitching a lousy 100 miles !!!! I told my roommate that I knew of a tiny "sailor's bar" where the intercostal waterway ended in Miami. I had been there several times when I was in the US Coast Guard.

We arrived at the bar in Miami after a relatively easy "thumbs-out". It was about 8pm. With our very limited funds.....we agreed to 4 beers each.......which would get us to "mid-nite"........then find a quiet spot on the beach to "crash". About 11pm a foreign ship pulled up to the dock......... a cargo ship. The bartender said......."the Russians are here !!!!! About two dozen sailors pile into the bar. The ships KGB officer/interpreter......sat next to me. His name was Valery.......a really great guy. The Russians knew we were poor college students........they bought us piva's and vodka all night. They would not accept our offers of drink......even though they were probably as poor as we were. Conversation with Valery flowed for the next 6 1/2 hours........the bar usually closed at 2pm........but local authorities gave the bar special dispensation......when a foreign ship pulled up at the bar late in the evening. Valery talked of many things.....but didn't ask lots of questions about the US........he had been coming here.....for 14 years. I asked him what was his favorite place.......in the US..............................................Rhode Island..........he replied...........without hesitation. He said that he was retiring in about 5 years......and that he and his wife would like to move to Rhode Island......if they can afford it. I leaned over and quietly whispered to him.........."you mean that you will...."defect".......to the US. And in a normal voice (volume).......or slightly louder............"Yes....yes......I will have to defect !!!!!!!!!!! The whole bar erupted in laughter. He was "KGB"..............but he was amongst friends...............all of his shipmates knew of his dream.........to move to Rhode Island, USA. No one was going to turn in one of their shipmates.........their "friend". I liked the Russians. They were not much different from.......ME. It was at that precise moment that I knew our own government.....lied about the Russians.........and who they were (as a people......."politicians"..........aside). Russia was now on my short list as a "must see" country to visit.

After a few phone calls........Chuck and I decided to meet. I believe we met in Escanaba the first time. Chuck makes a killer Lasagna. I brought Villa Capris homemade garlic bread (best I ever had at any Italian restaurant in the US). Their food is good/excellent.......  but the garlic bread.....is fantastic !!!!! We had a real nice chianti.......talk of Russia.......his agency.....his girlfriend........a really good time.......a really good time. A few weeks later he came to my place for dinner. Eventually it turned into my place Friday.......his place......the next friday. I decided to put my "Australian travel plans".......... on hold. I was now going to Russia..... first.

Chucks marriage agency (Lifetime Partners) called me one day ???????????? They got my number from................Chuck!? I told them I was not interested in a Russian wife. They explained that they also provided Lodging, interpreters, transportation service Etc. etc. The sales person....Mark.......explained that "Tver" was a very historical city.......in contention with Moscow as the capital city..........almost 1,000 years ago. Originally I was going to Moscow.....then Yoshkar-Ola......and finally.....meet Chuck in St Pete for the last thee days of our three week trip. I accepted their offer of room, translator, unlimited transportation, airport (Moscow) pick-up, "free membership", unlimited RW contacts,
monthly videos off RW and a few other perks..........for $125 per-day.......for three weeks. Our plane tickets were $725.00 from Detroit to Moscow.......at the time. Lifetime Partners explained that even though I was "NOT" interested in a Russian wife..........that I may want to use their services for an occasional "date". Mark (from LTP) said that maybe Chuck and his girlfriend might go out to dinner, movie etc. etc. more willingly with "me"..........if I had a............... "DATE" !!!!!!!!!!!! I could see the logic. Chuck's girlfriend worked 6 days a week. Every morning at 9am.......when the Tver Lifetime Partners office opened for business......Chuck and I would meet there.......for breakfast.

Actually...........we met at LTP........watched the RW come in to drop-off their letters to AM/FM or read and have a translator translate their replies. A lot of beautiful women !
Are Russian women more beautiful than American women...........I don't think so (my opinion). If you spend enough time in Russia (FSU)........what you will see (if you look closely).......is very average/nice looking women........who care more about their appearance than their American counterparts (my opinion). I really hate the "scale" analogy.
Russian women on this site......please don't hate me. But a RW who is a "7"(to an American guy) can look like a "9"......because she really cares more about her appearance than do "most" AM.

Chuck and I decided to go to a movie.....about the third evening in Tver. I told him I would contact one of the women I wrote to 4 weeks before coming to Russia............ I digress.............     The agency.........LTP...........suggested........that I write a few letters to some women on their website........in case I needed a date.....etc. Four weeks before leaving for Russia.......I wrote 16 letters.....to sixteen interesting women. I was still not interested in a Russian wife. But the women were so attractive.....I am a guy...
what the.............."----".........I wrote letters.....on paper.........sent in envelopes........snail mail......even though I was aware of "e-mail". I received 14 replies ....out of 16 letters written. One reply said she was engaged.......I replied my "congratulations . One never answered...........but did much later ( i will explain later). Why so many replies many ask ? My letters were only one half page long. They said I would actually be in Tver......on such and such a date.......I was a real person......actually coming.......on a set in stone date. The first half of the letter described "my " life.......where I have been..... what I was looking for. The second half asked questions about "her" life.......her aspirations. And then a brief line or two.........it would be nice to meet.....have dinner......etc. etc......... No expectations......just a nice evening out.

Lifetime Partners set-up meetings with "all" of the women I had written to. I expressed my....."slight" displeasure in their setting-up these meetings........but I said I did not have definitive plans.........what the heck. The first day I had meetings with 4 RW. The first .....had a small (3 y.o) daughter........her name was elena. 36 y.o. (I was 49). Very cute, great personality, adventurous, parachute, hang gliding, mountain climbing, sailing, swimming, snorkeling.....etc. etc. She was attractive,  interesting............who would not want to meet her. Next was Svetlana. Too young for men .....31.........but artistic.........good natured........and surprised we did not have a second date. Olga........Olga !!!!!
Olga was fit........very fit. Bahama Blue.......describes her eyes. Even the girls at LTP...........called her the "eyes". Olga was friendly ..............upbeat.........very beautiful. A lawyer from L.A. California had his sites set on her. Even as I was leaving on our first lunch date........he yelled......."take care of my girl". What an A-hole. We had lunch. we talked of many things. Then I asked her........."what if your man were fooling around on you? She said......men will be men. i looked at her........a long glance.......and said to her.............what about your? She said...........I would never have an affair.........with a very determined look on her face. I sent back a very, very stern looked on my face.
"For either party to ever cheat.......would be totally unacceptable. This was not an extremely beautiful women sitting in front of me.........just another women......another "nice" women.......studying my face. She knew I was serious. She broke out into a a very large ear-to-ear grin. I think Olga will always wonder why we did not have a second date. She was was beautiful, intelligent, outgoing........... But for those who are not......"desperately seeking Susan"..........sometime a lot..........is not "enough".

Three dates.........three beautiful women. Tver was fun......Tver was Great.........8 hours after leaving Moscow.......Tver felt like a second home. Their was a guy on the RWG.....named Kiolani. He was Hawaiian. He had a Russian girlfriend.......a very nice "dude". He said "Marc"..........when you go to Tver........please at least have dinner with (I do not remember her name)......so and so. After all "us tied-down guys.....live vicariously" ....... from you "still single" guys. I had a date with her my first night in Tver.....Kiolani. I did not have the heart too to tell him that our first date (only date)......sucked!!!!  I really believe she was a street person.....a hooker.....among other things. No judgement.....it is what it is. She scarfed down her plate of food.....like she hadn't eaten.....in days. She only looked at me......occasionally.......while quickly shoveling down her food. O the website......she was extremely beautiful. In person.....a few years had passed......life was not very kind to her. I felt for her......... I went back to my apartment .........turned on the Russian equivalent of MTV......at about 11:30 pm..............I felt at home. Russia suited my style. My first date was a disaster.........Bur Russia did not feel foreign.........to me. I slept like a........well rested.......baby.

The second day inn Tver........when I met 4 women..........I had described Elenna, Svetlana & Olga. "No-Name......was the first night. Day two.........the 4th......was the best.....so I thought. Her name was Irina........... Blond......gorgeous.......funny........bigger than life.........she knocked me out. Our 1 hour meeting.......seemed like 15 minutes. We were smitten !!!!.

Unfortunately............because I am one of those "old guys" who don't know what they are talking about.......and need five knapps a days........the booze has finally hit me.......I need to pass-out.

If there is interest I will give my 10 reasons  " why" I no longer give advice...............here.

Thanks for putting-up with my rants.........here.

Cant B

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:04:19 AM »

Welcome back CaptB! If it's not too late, I'll wish you a happy anniversary. 13 anniversaries is a number of anniversaries any man here would be lucky to have.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gator

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
Capt B,

It is always a pleasure to see your name in "unread posts.".....................................................

First of all - congratulations to you and Mrs. B.   13 years is a lot of living and loving. .............................................

So you met real Russians here before you ever went to Russia. I had the same experience.  Interesting people. 

Please continue when you recover.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 08:16:44 PM »
Reads almost like a trip report....very good.
CaptB....visit again soon and

Congrats on your 13th
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline CaptB

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:52:51 AM »
I will add more late Friday nite.......early Saturday morning (8-27-16). I really did not mean to start a long story. I just started to write and couldn't stop. I really like to write......but don't do it very often. Late Friday nite until about 5am Saturday is my once-a-week time for myself. I look a Florida real estate ads, have a glass or two of wine........and chill. My wife has her day also. We are looking to relocate to Florida in the next year or two. I will write more next week.

Capt B

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:51:05 PM »
My first trip to Tver, Russia was wonderful. In less than 24 hours.......I felt at home. The first night I fell asleep to Alexander Marshall's song...."White Ashes" (rough translation). I met about two dozen women in all........but I fell hard......when Irina came into the room. Funny, smiling, self-deprecating.......but model gorgeous. Irina was bigger than life. We immediately hit it off. Irina had a 10 y.o. daughter....Nastya. After my first week (out of three) in Tver.....I stopped seeing other women. Irina notified the agency (coincidently) the same day that she did not want to meet other men. That evening we went for a 2 1/2 hour boat cruise on the Volga river. They did not provide alcohol.......but you were allowed to bring your own. I brought a six-pack of Baltic #5 diva.......her choice. The price was about $1.50 US each....2000. We went to dinner a lot.........a movie or two......museums......the circus.....weekend market.....visited her friends. Irina only knew a small amount of English. We had an agency interpreter with us most of the time.....Dianna during the day....a few others most evenings. One of the movies we went to see was a movie called "Heart Eaters".....as interpreted by dianna. I later told her the correct American title.......was "Heart Breakers". You have remember.....not everything translates......exactly :-)

We went to the circus one day.......Tver has its own permanent circus building. Many Russian circuses do not use tents......they use a cities building. A young clown (age 29) .........who also did an awesome elephant act......was looking for volunteers to do a "skit". I was sitting with Irina's daughter and Irina and Dianna we sitting directly behind us.
As the clown was walking up the nearest isle to us......he kept looking at us with a strange look on his face. He had chose all the folks he needed....but needed "one more". He came for me! Apparently Irina and Dianna......had been pointing at me all along. I was to play a rapist!!!!! The victim was about 30......and pretty......her husband "pointed" at her.....to be chosen for the skit :-) Anyway......I was too energetic in my part......I was dressed-down as a "local".......but apparently he seemed to think I had trouble taking direction from him (in Russian). He told me to change parts with another guy.......and become another "bad" guy.....this time wearing a swim mask, fins & snorkel. I was to lay low at the edge of the circus ring.......and kidnap the woman......"after the rape" !!!!!!!! Poor woman! BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the clown tripped.......he was the "good guy".....of course.........but not for long. The "gun".......fell from his hand and landed near me. I jumped......grabbed the gun......and went into my best "gansta" pose....gun cocked side-ways. I did not point the gun in the direction of bad guy.....but at that obnoxious........CLOWN. It was a starter pistol......and I unloaded all six blanks into the clown. The crowd went crazy.....everyone was cheering and yelling. The clown played along......and fell to the ground. He then came over to me when things quieted-down....and spoke to me in Russian.....of which I still did not understand. You see.....he thought I was Russian. I tilted my head down and quietly said: "ya ner ga varu....pa Ruskie. And then in English. And then said......"Americanski" . He shook my hand....gave me a hug.....and in perfect English......we had a conversation for a few moments. Perfect English because this "5th generation' circus performer.......had lived in the USA for four years....and had earned a college degree in business. We all went out that night and partied.

I'll finish with Tver.....next time.

Capt B

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:25:21 AM »
Things seem to progress well with Irina. We seemed to get along well. Others at Lifetime Partners (employees & other clients) said we looked natural together. At the end of three weeks it was time to go. Dianna (my interpreter) said it was customary to give a small monthly stipend to an RW you have matched (exclusive relationship) with. She mentioned $300 a month would be reasonable. At the time I didn't question this. I chalked it up to....."culture". Lifetime Partners offered free three times-a-week English lessons to those who "matched". Irina and I decided that she should attend these lessons. Her daughter was already starting English classes in school. In the beginning she was motivated......then started to lapse after three weeks or so. Eventually she quit altogether......with many excuses for why she could no attend. On the other hand my friend Chuck's Olya not only attend all free English classes......but completely devoured a 24 cassette program which Chuck bought for her. Five months later when I went back to Tver to see Irina......I "muled" a present to Olya from Chuck. My first day there I was walking down the street.....when a woman yelled from the other side....."hi Marc"!! It was Olya. The last time I saw her....she spoke virtually no English. Now she could carry on a daily in-depth conversation. When I talked to Irina later in the day about not taking her English lessons.....she replied.....if I move to the states.....I will worry about it then. If she waited until then......she would be miserable...not knowing the language.

Irina, Dianna & I all went to St. Petersburg, Russia for a few days. He Mother lived there. Her Mother was energetic, animated....good sense of humor....she was fun. We saw
all the major sites...Russian Museum, church of the spilled blood, the Peterhoff, Hermitage etc. etc. We had a great time and went back to Tver on the third day. We went to dinner, a movie one night.......just normal things. We did go on a day trip to Moscow. The agency proved a cab for $100 for the entire day. 5 hours round-trip to Moscow.....and the cab driver waited in his car while we visited St. Basil's Cathedral, the Diamond Fund, Lenin's tomb (please bury him) and several other places. We got back at about 3am.
The trip highlight of Irina's daughter Nastya.......a "happy meal" at McDonalds in a little town called Klin.....between Moscow & Tver.

The spark that Irina and I initially had seemed to fade a bit. I had really bonded with her daughter....Nastya....a really great kid. But Irina just did not seem motivated enough to move forward. Everything was always ....."later". She would not reconsider taking English lessons. When I departed after three weeks.....we left on good terms. But....."good".......is not....."GREAT". After a few weeks back home.......I called her through the Lifetime Partners office.......and told that we should go our separate ways. It would not be the last time I saw her. After my second visit to Tver......I did see someone in Moscow......but I will save that for later. After two visits to Moscow.....I heard that Lifetime Partners had been purchased by another American. He was a doctor from Fort Pierce, Florida......and a regular on the old RWG (Russian Womens Guide).....Doc Woody. The Doc met his very nice wife through Lifetime Partners.....several years prior to purchase. She was his interpreter.....Elena. He met with many women but was smitten with his interpreter.......as was she. They eventually had a few kids.

Doc woody was upset that things did not work out with Irina.......for me. As the new owner of Lifetime Partners.....he made me an offer. Free membership, free interpreter, free ride service including pick-up and departure from Moscow/Tver.....Tver/Moscow. I would provide my own accommodation & and the plane ticket. Doc Woody was providing was basically providing all else (thanks again Doc). Doc thought I would find "another" nice woman on this trip. He put no restrictions on who I could see. I had visited a doctor in Moscow for two visits......but now was determined to go back to Tver and win over (idiot me) Irina. I was going to be........THE MAN!!!! Irina agreed to my visiting her. She found me a gorgeous apartment in and old historic building that had been renovated. Very modern Euro-styled......with 12' high angled ceilings....with about four skylights in the kitchen. Beautiful one bedroom place. Irina informed me it could be had for about $16,000 US !!! One night I had her over for dinner. I had cooked shrimp Sicilian. After dinner we had more than a few glasses of wine. She was sitting on my lap as we were watching TV. I felt a little (49 y.o.) frisky.....and stood-up.....holding her in my arms.
THUNKK!!!!!!! The "angled ceiling was very low on one side of the room. She bumped (more like cracked) her head. She stayed the night....but complained of a severe headache in the morning. She went to a doctor later in the day.......and he pronounced she had a mild concussion. So much for romance. Even with my good intentions.....things never really changed between us. This time I said good-bye in person......before leaving. I hope she is well......as is her daughter....Nastya.

I skipped over the trips to Moscow......so I could tie-up.......my three trips to Tver.......a very nice little (population 350,000) city.

Between my last two trips to Tver.....I dated a Doctor in Moscow. I know this was originally an announcement of my 13th wedding anniversary.......but how I got here is a relevant story. The devil.....is in the details. The thing is.....none of my journey was bad......or a waste of time........because it got me to here.......a very good place.
Even though I made two trips to Moscow.....between my last two trips to Tver.....it feels more right to treat Tver as Part 1.....of a three part journey.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 05:35:24 AM »
Gator,

Just a quick note. In February of this year....I had a small heart attack. I am doing very very well. Good diet....lots more exercise. My friend JB called me after hearing about it. I had not talked to him in a few years.....but our connection is always.....immediate. Yes......he is a rascal.....and rabble-rouser. I love him dearly. Those years when we had weekly talks......before we married our RW's.........were some of the best times.....not to be forgotten. I told him you were still alive and kicking.....along with a few of the old RWG "geezers". I hope all is well with you....and yours.

Marc

Cant B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BC

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:02:43 AM »
Congrats to you both CaptB! and a hearty hello to jb next time you chat!  Do miss the 'ol feller :)

Thanks for popping in!

Offline CaptB

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:37:02 AM »
Thanks BC,

I am old.....outdated......but there is still that "rush"......when I read these discussions. The adventure never fades.......just mellows with age.......for the both of us.......but it is always there.............

Capt B & Mrs. B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline Gator

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »
Capt B,

Sorry to learn of your heart attack.  Take care of yourself.  Your family loves you and needs you.

Good story about your romance trips.  Tver was not a large city, yet three marriage agencies operated there about 12 years ago.   Critics said it was "fished out," but several men met their brides there.

Offline Gator

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
.....and a hearty hello to jb next time you chat!  Do miss the 'ol feller :)

The two of you would be having an interesting, spirited dialogue regarding the election, considering his political beliefs.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:15:09 PM »
In February of this year....I had a small heart attack. I am doing very very well. Good diet....lots more exercise.

I know a three guys that got a heart attack. They got the zipper on their chest. Doctors cut their chests open and did the fix. All three still living 10 years + after getting the operation. Keep up the good work eating and living healthy and you'll have many more good years ahead of you.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 10:57:20 PM »
Thanks Billy & Gator,

No chest cutting here (thank god). Just a single "stent".....what a miracle they are. No anesthesia........they were done in 20 minutes!

I do have a "foot" problem though that maybe the two of you can help me with. On my "Why Ukraine ?" thread I seemed to have pissed-off two guys (unintentionally).

Thanks,

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline Gator

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 03:52:26 PM »

I do have a "foot" problem though that maybe the two of you can help me with. On my "Why Ukraine ?" thread I seemed to have pissed-off two guys (unintentionally).

Sensitive subject.  Ukraine  has been a "free" country for only a short time in its long, long history.   Many feel betrayed in the struggle to free Ukrainian people to pursue happiness in the form of closer ties with the West.   Many good people have been killed. 

Some of the stories are very personal.  One UW member of RWD had a brother serving as an officer in the Ukrainian military in the middle of the front line hostilities. 

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »
One of the RW here had an uncle living in Donetsk, who left for Russia.  Another RW's mother lived there, and she is now living with the RW.

My better half's cousin is serving on the front line.  He was on the front line, then in Mariupol, and now back on the front line. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline CaptB

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 04:44:28 AM »
PART 2

Lifetime Partnes in Tver, Russia, was a great experience. Ultimately .......I didn't find the right women.....but the experience was very valuable. Steve Morvay.......who was one of the partners of the agency......I met on my third and final visit to Tver. One evening we were ready to go out to a disco......Irina had to work that evening. He looked up from his desk at me and said: "you know Marc.......most of the guys are completely clueless when it comes to reading whether an RW is......into "them"......as much as "they (men) are into the women. A simple concept........but mostly ignored. The guys always think their situation is different.......others don't understand.....the ten commandments of FSU/RW just does not apply "to them". I didn't feel that he was directing the comment......to me.....in particular......but it stuck. I realized that evening that Irina "liked me enough"........but maybe not as much as I cared for her. Sometime the guy has stronger feelings.......sometime the woman........but ultimately.........for things to really work.......the feelings for each..........must be equal. You are (probably) not going to "win" her over. You will probably not make her see.....you are a great guy. She may already "see" you are a great guy.........but the spark is missing. Just the way it is. I told Irina a few days later......we should go our separate ways.

MOSCOW

Between my second an final trip to Tver.......I went to see a doctor in Moscow. I kind of wish I had finally learned.......what learned on my final visit to see Irina......in Tver. Unfortunately things happen in their........own time. Such is life.

Elena was a doctor who worked as an advisor to a pharmaceutical company. She was pretty.......and fluent in English. We talked on the phone many times before my visit. She met me at the airport. She had been kind enough to find me a very nice flat.......and took a cab there. It was about 7:00PM local time. She had groceries.......and cooked us dinner. She was a little nervous during dinner.......then finally told me she had been previously married......and had a 7 y.o. son. We had written.....and talked on the phone....for three months......and she never mentioned either. I did not care about an ex-husband......or child......but I did care about the "omission" these subjects in our conversations. I told her I understand that she was worried that such information may make a difference in my decision as to whether I would be interested in her........or not. I was a little upset. I explained that "full disclosure".........is the only way.......in this process. Both I........and her.......have the right to complete honesty in this situation. She was a little pissed.......and ready to leave the flat. I firmly asked her to sit down. After we talked about the situation.....I told her if she still wanted to leave.....then please do so. We smoothed things over.....and decided to start again. She left about 11pm.......and would be back at 10am.

We stayed in Moscow for two days. I had booked us a flat in St. Petersburg. A beautiful apartment........I could definitely live there. Would took the over-night train....departing at midnite......and arriving at about 6:30am. We walked to the flat......about four blocks from the train station. After resting and having lunch.....we decided to walk around and see the sights. We came across a particular street and I asked her how to prince it's name. She looked at me a little glaringly........and said....."you do not need to know how to pronounce......"anything".........you have me for a guide. I told her I want to learn Russian. Again I asked for the pronunciation.......and my request was denied. The first red flag........had risen. I gave her a copy of the key to our flat. I asked her if she could remember how to get there.......and went storming-off.

There was a farmers market (this was Saturday).....only two blocks from our flat. I filled-up a large paper sack with many vegetables, fruits ,saseeki, sir, a bottle of red & white wine, chicken and a small box of chocolates.......for her. Most of the market was outside.......except the meats. The butcher shop was indoors. Chopping a cow.....with a large sickled blade........was a very beautiful......model gorgeous youg women. I did not snap a photo (darn).......but it was a life magazine cover photo.........for sure. Many, many years before......i had to pass-up such a photo......because of lack of a camera. It was 1989 and I decided to go to North American van lines truck driving school.......in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The greyhound bus strike was in progress.....so I hitch-hiked from Northern Michigan......to Indiana. The guy who picked me up in Ohio said we would have dinner at a local diner......near his home. The special for desert........was 6 inch high...........strawberry pie. The tables were picnic-style. there dad to be two hundred coffee cups hanging on hooks.......from the ceiling. Each had the name of a regular customer. I told them I was just "passing through". At the table next to us.......were three couples sitting at the same table. They were farmers........grandpa, son & grandson.......sitting on one side. Grandma, daughter & granddaughter.......sitting on the other side. The three guys had on "casey jones-style" hats......and Oshkosh........coveralls.......with a kerchief around their necks. The women were also dressed similarly to each other. But in front of each of the six individuals...........was a piece of........6" strawberry pie. You just had to be there.........a Life Magazine cover.......................for sure. I took the groceries to our flat.......thinking of that time at the diner.........then the reality of Elena"s nature.........snapped me out of...........a wonderful memory. She was still pissed.

We went "out" to dinner......that evening. Elena had invited her Brother and his girlfriend. They would arrive the next day and stay for three nights. I was never informed.....until dinner that evening. The next day they arrived. Elena's brother was a stock broker. Long-hair.......casual dresser........smart as a whip......we became instant friends. His girl-friend was very cute, very attached to her boy-friend.......did not work.......but took very good care.....of him. I liked her very much........Elena.........did not.
That evening.......the girls told us to leave.......and pick them up at about midnite.........to go out to a disco. We had dinner.....then Misha and I went to a bar at about 8pm. We had 1 or 5 picas.......each :-) By 10pm........many beautiful women were piling into the bar. Misha told me to go talk to a few. I told him.....NO.....I was here to see his sister. I told him........why don't "you".........talk-up a few ladies. He said.........."I would never cheat on my girlfriend". I said........."that is good". We became instant good friends......that night. We went back to the flat at midnite.......picked-up the girls........and left for a nite out. St. Petersburg is just a very wonderful place.......for a "white" knight (night).............out.

We went to a disco......played billiards.....pool......karoke.....and left the complex about 4:30am. We came to a bridge about 5am........and it was up. From 5am - 7am all canal bridges are up.....to let out....and in......ships & boats. Each bridge has a guy with a large cart selling sausages (hot dogs), snacks and diva.......and sometimes wine. You are stuck for the next two hours.......but it can be.......a very beautiful............"stuck". It was very romantic for Misha and his girlfriend.......Elena and I were "cordial":-) ???? One night at the bar (guys night out).......Misha said....... in broken English......"my soestra"........ya luv her..........but she can..........difficult........ All I said was.......DA. We understood each other............100%.

Misha and his girlfriend departed. Elena and I were stuck with each other...........again. We had a rowe (fight).......that evening. I told her the apartment was paid for......as was her return ticket to Moscow. I had a back-up plan to go to Yoskar Ola.....in the Mariel Republic. It looked like a beautiful place......much like my native Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The MASIM Agency was there. I talked to Max........several times over the years. A real legit.....honest guy. He cared about his male clients......and......the local girls.
He was the....."real deal"......a 100% honest Russian marriage agency. Max.....unfortunately.....passed away a few years ago. A great guy. He will be missed. I decided to "not" to institute my back-up plans. I knew she was not for me.......but we had made plans to go to Samara, Russia.......to visit he Mother.....and aunt. I would not regret my decision........to "stick-it out". We got on the plane in Moscow..........and headed for the very beautiful region of the Southern Volga river city of..................Samara.

More tomorrow.

Capt B   
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 10:36:23 PM »
We finished our visit to St. Pete. We took the train back to Moscow and stayed at Elena's for two days. On the day we were to go to Samara......we were taken to the airport by Elena's brother......along with his girlfriend. We arrived at Samara, Russia at about 10:00pm.....and took a cab to Elena's aunt's flat. They had prepared a huge spread of food in anticipation of our arrival.Elena once told me that the only way to eat red (salmon) caviar......was on a piece of white buttered bread. I told her that I liked it with sour cream rolled up in blini. Elena passed this info. on to her Mother......who passed it on to her aunt. Her aunt informed Elena.....that blini and sour cream.....was just as "traditional" as buttered bread. Her aunt knew her niece could be ......."difficult" He aunt reached over to the plate of blini.....put a dollop of sour cream....and era. She took a bite.....looked in Elena's direction and said........."mmmmm blini and era". Elena went storming out of the room. Elena's Mother and aunt both laughed......I liked them immediately.

More in a day or two,

Capt B
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:10:33 AM by CaptB »
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
For the next week we went to the open market, drove around the area with some of her friends, went to the beach. Samara is a beautiful place located at the lower end of the Volga River. Many, many beautiful women live in Samara. That section of the Volga becomes very wide....several miles in width. You will see cruise ships, a freighter, small boats and jet skis. The beach is man-made and about 3km long. It has a raised walkway with many food carts and kiosks, go kart track, mini-golf and other attractions. Many volleyball courts on the beach....also. Dozens of round tables with umbrellas.....all sporting Coca Cola logos in red & white. As the river continues on it squeezes between low-lying mountains or foothills.

We continued doing ordinary stuff for the rest of the week. Walks, dinner, movie......shashlick with her Mother and Aunt. At the end of the week it was time to go back to moscow. I was going to miss Samara.....I was really happy I stuck to my guns and made the trip. I met a lot of very nice folks. After getting back to Moscow we saw a few sites.......red square.......Guum......the underground mall. The last evening I was glad that we were having a home-cooked diner.....with her brother and his girlfriend. At least on the last evening....I knew I would have a good time. I also knew that Elena and I would probably never see each other again. On this second trip...her real personality showed. She felt very entitled about a lot of things.....quick temper.....pouting. I left the next morning......for home.

A sidenote. I forgot to mention that on my first visit to see Elena......we went to a wedding. I set up this visit to coincide with my friend....from this forum...."JB". I was co best man....along with his future son-in-law......Dima. The wedding was held at a Zaggs in Moscow. Beautiful wedding......Irina looked stunning.....JB wasn't too shabby either. The reception was held at Irina's apartment. About 20 people in all. Good friends....good food....good conversation. Most of the guest were women....and Irina's cousin.....a retired general from the Russian amy was also there. Later in the evening.....JB and I stepped-out onto the terrace.....with our backs against the rail.....looking through the french doors.....watching the women flitting about. He then produced a really nice bottle of cognac......and two Churchill-sized "Cuban" cigars. Life was good.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 03:17:01 AM »
PART 3

The doctor in Moscow did not work out. In Tver, Russia.......I have to say that there were many that I met......that I should have had more than one date with. I was so bowled over when I met Irina......that I only focussed on her. I realize now that I should have given a few others.....further attention. First impressions can be overwhelming......but some of the others really could have been very suitable. I was in a negative place after calling things off with Irina......my heart was just not into giving Tver another chance. I think of those women I met......who were really great.....and hope they found a good match. In retrospect....I should have dated "all" the women that I felt a connection with......for awhile more....before focussing on.............one. But if I did......I would not have met my wonderful wife.

The next place I was to visit....was Stavropol, Russia. It is situated just north of the Caucus mountains.......and probably 4 hours from Sochi....in the south. I chose Stavropol because of "Commodore Steve"......who owned a marriage agency with offices in Stavropol, Samara, Krasnodar, Moscow and a few other cities. Steve was a "hoot" and really enjoyed his work. At the time I started my Russian adventure.....RWG decided there were at least three agencies that were honest and really cared about their clients: Lifetime Partners (in Tver and still in business), MAXIM's in Yoskar Ola (a really great guy....Max) and Commodore Steve. Steve had services similar to Lifetime Partners.....a set fee (about $200 US) for up to 15 contacts per month....for a year.....with free translation. But he had "mini" tours......where 5 or 6 guys would meet with 30 or so women. He would make sure that there were at least a few women who matched the qualities each individual guy was looking for. Unlike other tours (love.com etc.)....these were women who were actually registered with his agency. No "fillers".....i.e. asking women on the street or bars to come to a party.....if they happened to be short a few women. Steve was personable.....he cared about "all" his clients. Steve was a "guys" guy. He would talk......like his male clients would talk. But he was protective of the female clients....also.

As a sidenote I am hoping one of the computer "geeks" can do a "defunct" archives search (I do not know how to do this)......for: Commodore Steve Russia women dating marriage. Chuck (a friend I made my first visit to Russia with) and I would take turns having dinner (we are both great cooks) at each others house each week.....tuned into Commodore Steve's website to see new listings of RW......and Steve's blog. Very entertaining....a lot of fun. Hopefully someone can locate these old pages. Although I never used Steve's services......I did get to meet him in June of 2003.......... as he was looking to retire.

My next trip was to Stavropol, Russia. It was one of the cities where Commodore Steve had an office. It was one of his favorite Russian cities.....his website sold me. I decided to go without any plans this time. No one on one. No write many.....visit many. No agencies.......but I may drop in on Commodore Steve.......and maybe use some of his services.....who knows. I had been to Russia 6 times already.......maybe I was looking at this as just a "vacation". I did decide to visit galleries, museums and other cultural entities. For those occasions I thought that I may hire a guide/interpreter. The guys on the RWG suggested looking on dating sites.......for someone who spoke english.....and was familiar with their city. I came across a dating site called TrueLoves.com (no longer in business). It was started by an American guy. He was a guy looking for an RW himself.......but was dissatisfied with the dating sites out there....in general. So he started his own. He was very concerned with scammers.....and folks frequenting his website for reasons other than.....the intended use. He finally found his future wife......shortly before my first visit to his website. A really nice guy. Real photos....of real women. A more smaller more intimate dating site. We could use more of them.

I looked at his site for a few weeks.......and finally found a women who taught english at an international language institute. No children......she was 38 y.o. I was not looking for a wife at this time.....just a guide/interpreter. It was not a negative that she was very attractive. I decided to send her an email. I told her I was looking for a guide/interpreter for about three days.....to show me the sites, museums etc. of Stavropol. I told her the dates I would be coming (in about 3 months)....and could she get back to me.....in a week or so. I would offer $40/per day....for three days......possibly more. She e-mailed me back.....in about 5 days.....and said "yes".....she would be interested in my offer. I told her that since her english was so good......maybe we could converse once a week or so.....until i came to Stavropol. She said "yes"......she would be excited to converse with a "native" english speaker. So a week later (Friday nite)....we had our first conversation.

The first thing she explained.....on our first phone call.......was that she was not interested in finding a foreign husband. She explained that over the years....after the fall of the Soviet Republic......she had helped many girlfriends over the years.....in letter writing, translations, phone calls, e-mails etc. etc......for friends who "were" interested in finding a foreign husband. She was happy and content to stay in Russia.....she had a job that she loved. The only reason she had a profile on TrueLoves.com......was her girlfriends kept on "bugging" her to post a profile. They new she was happy where she was at......but they said "who knows what may happen"......it can't hurt.....so she posted a profile.
We had our weekly phone every Friday. After a month.....the calls were every there or four days.......and finally.......almost everyday. She offered to help find me find accommodation. She found a really nice two bedroom flat......for only $9 per nite. It was located only about 3 blocks from her own flat......that she shared with her Mother, sister and her niece. Just shortly before my arrival.....I would say....with all our phone calls.......we had become friends.

I will write more....in a few days or so.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »

Thanks for sharing CaptB. It's not easy to reach in your memory bank and pull out so much detail from 13+ years ago.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »
Billy,

Actually I have forgotten more "details" than when I wrote trip reports for the RWG. As soon as I hit the "post" button.....I remember something I could have added. An example:

Irina, Dianna (our interpreter) and myself went to the "CITY CLUB".....not named in Russia....but actually named in english. A fifty ruble cover charge....they gave you a drink card.....good for three drinks (the exchange rate in 2000 was about 34 rubbles to the US dollar). This was a two-story structure with a large disco, a jazz lounge, small bar with three pool tables and stuffed furniture and coffee tables, a karaoke room, video arcade room.........and billiard room with 2 western-style pool tables....and maybe half-dozen Russian billiard tables. I was teaching Irina how to play pool.....her first time. Two guys....playing on a Russian billiards table......kept looking our way. After finishing their game they walked toward us.....one started speaking to me in Russian. I said....in Russian.....that my Russian was very poor. They figured that Irina was with me.....and Dianna was a third wheel. They both started talking to her. A few minutes later...Dianna told me that they wanted to play "mixed doubles". I told Dianna to ask them if they knew how to play western eight-ball. They said yes. Dianna getting a little irritated....as she had a boyfriend.....and was hoping the guys would leave. I said I will play either one of you.....one on one. They agreed.....and one of the guys stepped forward. He wanted to flip a coin for the break......I told him that he she break. He broke and sunk a few balls....a good shot....but a "slammer". I dropped several balls. He shot and sunk a ball then missed. I had two or three balls on the table.....but no clean shots. The other guy.....not playing....reached into his pocket and pulled-out a wad of rubbles. I knew ....after this game.....they would want to play for money. I asked them if I could make a jump shot.....they looked a little puzzled.....and Dianna explained to them what I was asking. The object ball was only about six inches from the pocket......the jump was about 20 inches. I jumped the ball......and made the shot......quickly shot a full table-length bank shot.....most of the way down.....and all the way back....dropping the eight ball. I looked at the guy with the wad of rubles in his hand......asking Dianna to interpret the word "next ?". His hand with rubles went back into his pocket....and politely said....nyet.......nyet.....pazhousta. They both shook my had.....and quickly. Those 14 years of pool-league lessons.....finally paid off :-)

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 10:32:30 PM »
The other guy.....not playing....reached into his pocket and pulled-out a wad of rubbles. I knew ....after this game.....they would want to play for money. I asked them if I could make a jump shot.....they looked a little puzzled.....and Dianna explained to them what I was asking. The object ball was only about six inches from the pocket......the jump was about 20 inches. I jumped the ball......and made the shot......quickly shot a full table-length bank shot.....most of the way down.....and all the way back....dropping the eight ball. I looked at the guy with the wad of rubles in his hand......asking Dianna to interpret the word "next ?". His hand with rubles went back into his pocket....and politely said....nyet.......nyet.....pazhousta. They both shook my had.....and quickly. Those 14 years of pool-league lessons.....finally paid off :-)

You should've hustled them because they were thinking of hustling you. I know a guy who ran the pool room in college. He won some games for money and lost some games. There were times he made spectacular shots. We were alone in the room and asked if I wanted to play. After breaking, he cleared all his balls and then said he'd switch with me so I'd have the eight ball left but he cleared the rest of the balls and eight ball to win. I knew he was better than he was showing others and that is why I didn't bet him. He confessed he won a junior championship a few years ago.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 03:16:26 AM »
Another time....when visiting Tver.....it was city day. Lots of drinking.....open bottles of "piva" everywhere. I was with Irina and my interpreter Dianna. The bumped into some friends.....and told them I was going for a short walk. A young guy....maybe late twenties....came up to me......and said (in english)...."boxer". I did not know if he was referring to the english word......or something else. I said to him "ya nerga vary...pahrusky". He said...."Amerikansky ?.  I replied "da". Again he said
"boxer"....punched the air a few times....the pointed to my biceps. He was built....but he was drunk....and slow. Playing "friendly"....but I was on my guard. Now Irina and Dianna saw what was going....and raced over to me. All of a sudden.....I was airborne. No he didn't strike me....The two girls took an arm each....and lifted me off the ground....and away from the "boxer". I weighed about 185.....Irina was 5' 5" and 120 pounds....Dianna was 5' 2" and maybe 105. Russian girls are very "strong".

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 04:02:28 AM »
I arrived in Stavropol, Russia......in mid April, 2003....at the local airport. Vika was there with her friend....a local cab driver....Yuri. Yuri's wife was Svetlana...who was Vika's longtime friend....and university classmate. Via wore a short leather jacket.....and a leather hat that reminded me of USA 1920's "flapper-style) . She was 5' 3"...about 110 lbs.
Most of the women I have dated in my life seemed to average 5' 6".......about 125 lbs. I feel an Andy Grieg (country singer) song coming on now. She looked different...but the sparking eyes....and the smile were unmistakable. We loaded my luggage into the cab.....and talked. Yuri....also very good english....a really nice guy. We arrived at my flat about 25 minutes later. Vika had made us some food.....with a nice bottle of Georgian red wine. We had arrived at about 10pm......and talked until about 2am. Via had to work the next day.....at about noon. In our four hour conversation (along with more than 100 hours previous to my arrival).....we were very comfortable.....with each other. No sex.......(both too tired).....but she stayed the night....and we both slept like rocks.

The next morning (about 9am)......she made breakfast. Later we got on the bus....so she could go to work. She did not want to leave me alone my first day.....so I went to work with her. I got to meet her co-workers.....all very nice....very welcoming. Her friend from the university..."Igor" (correctly pronounced..."ee gar")......collected 1950's metal "model" USA cars. On my next visit....I brought Igor a gift of a model 1955 T-bird......he was ecstatic! All of my wife's friends at work made it a point...to let me know how fortunate "I" was......to be dating her. She was everybody's favorite person. After 13 years of marriage....I understand why. Perfect....no. But caring about everybody around her.....definitely. When visiting her co-workers at the Foreign Language Institute.......I felt completely at home. They did not make me feel like a "foreigner".......they were really a great group of folks.

After work we went back to my flat.....relaxed for awhile.....then went shopping. Neighborhood grocery stores are located every 2-3 blocks......just like in the US 40-50 years ago. Mostly vegetables, fruit, wine and of course.....my addiction......diet pepsi. She said we would go later to a cart down the street that sold roasted chickens......middle-eastern flat bread (like flour tortillas.......but rolled-up). She cut-up some cucumbers, tomatoes & sour cream......for a salad.......the chicken....and buck wheat. Some white Georgian wine.....also. We watched some TV......talked.....and went to bed about 1am. She told me tomorrow was a big day. If things went well the first two days.....we would now be meeting her Mother, sister "Inna" &  Inna's daughter.....Alevtina. We went to dinner at her Mothers house that evening. Great family....we hit it off immediately. One thing we "all" had in common.......a great sense of humor. I could tell her Mother "knew"......I like her daughter a lot. When I finally proposed to Vika about a half year later.....it came as no surprise.....to her Mother. I have really great inlaws.

I will write more within the week.

Capt B

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541295