It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: SIM card for Ukraine  (Read 12289 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: SIM card for Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 05:11:02 PM »
Or he found more interesting company. :)
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline eich

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 02:19:44 AM »

What about Russia? Just curious if anything has changed since I was there a long time ago. I was required to show my passport and registration in addition to something else that I don’t remember. I used Beeline I think. Anyway I may be returning in the summer assuming Sasha Bortnikov isn’t still mad at me. ;)
Life is just an empty room.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: SIM card for Russia
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 03:43:10 AM »
What about Russia? Just curious if anything has changed since I was there a long time ago. I was required to show my passport and registration in addition to something else that I don’t remember. I used Beeline I think. Anyway I may be returning in the summer assuming Sasha Bortnikov isn’t still mad at me. ;)

You need to show your passport - they make a copy of this and your immigration registration card - if you buy at the airport - on arrival - you tend to pay more.

IF you are being met by a lady - on a WO trip - she'll buy you the same network she's on - as calls will be free

I recommend getting a YOTA sim for DATA - bring a MiFi device

http://http://tinyurl.com/mifi-device

that isn't locked to a network- if you are going to more than one city and buying a local mobilnik ( cell phone ) with 2 sims - then you can pop in Beeline and ( say ) MTS - as you can choose which network to call on.

Yota don't charge for inter-city roaming

MiFi devices allow you to make a personal WiFi hotspot for your laptop and other devices - it is NOT tethering

With Yota DATA sims you still get unlimited internet for 1, 000 R / month 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:48:01 AM by msmob »

Offline DaveNY

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »
If you're American do not take your personal or work phone abroad, to any country. Buy a phone locally and use it locally. There is a chance, probably slim, that the government will seize the phone or at a minimum search the phone.

The article below tells the story of a NASA engineer having to give up his work phone, that he took on vacation to Chile, to CBP agents to have it searched.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/citizen-nasa-engineer-detained-at-border-trnd/index.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/can-us-border-agents-search-your-phone-at-the-airport-2017-2

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 09:33:07 AM »
If you're American do not take your personal or work phone abroad, to any country. Buy a phone locally and use it locally. There is a chance, probably slim, that the government will seize the phone or at a minimum search the phone.

The article below tells the story of a NASA engineer having to give up his work phone, that he took on vacation to Chile, to CBP agents to have it searched.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/citizen-nasa-engineer-detained-at-border-trnd/index.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/can-us-border-agents-search-your-phone-at-the-airport-2017-2

Huh? That was a one in a billion occurrence and being overly paranoid. There was also more to that story that later came out if I recall....Most people carry their personal phones all over the World without issues. My wife has entered almost every country on the planet without issues.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »
It probably isn't an issue for your wife, but it would be an issue for anyone whose phone is tied to their business, and that business includes confidential information.  For example, think of a lawyer who is working on an IPO.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline alex330

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
It probably isn't an issue for your wife, but it would be an issue for anyone whose phone is tied to their business, and that business includes confidential information.  For example, think of a lawyer who is working on an IPO.

Considering my wife flies planes full of gold, extradited drug lords and terrorists, Russian Oligarchs, and the owners of the largest corporations in the World I would think it would be an issue if it mattered.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:56:40 AM by alex330 »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
Yes, but she doesn't have the ins and outs of their accounts, does she?

Offline alex330

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
Yes, but she doesn't have the ins and outs of their accounts, does she?

She has their names, passport numbers, tail number, time of departure/arrival, flight route, etc sent to her gmail account. Enough info to heist 300 million in gold or spring a drug lord loose. If they want your info the last thing these need is the pin to your phone these days. Someone can walk up right beside you and take any info off your phone without touching it.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
That’s all information border officials have access to as well. They don’t routinely have access to what NASA is working on, or the details of an IPO, or, say, draft financial statements, or negotiations on a public deal, etc. These are things that, of disclosed, can make or break a career.

As for accessing without a pin, how?

Offline alex330

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
That’s all information border officials have access to as well. They don’t routinely have access to what NASA is working on, or the details of an IPO, or, say, draft financial statements, or negotiations on a public deal, etc. These are things that, of disclosed, can make or break a career.

As for accessing without a pin, how?

If someone wants your info and knows how it is not difficult to steal it. Not to mention most people are very sloppy. There are many ways to steal data from devices in your proximity. Heat transfer, acoustically, electromagnetically, through lights, etc. When I ran a data center we had very strict protocols because of this issue. And tech advances have progressed substantially since then.

EDIT - One of many examples. There are more advanced methods. Now I have all your logins just from standing in line next to you.

http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/airhopper-hacking-into-isolated.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:29:26 AM by alex330 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1978
Total: 1987

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM