It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Samara Russia Trip Report  (Read 13880 times)

drsecu

Samara Russia Trip Report
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
The Girl is the one I met in Ukraine, Ukrainian Mother and Russian Father although she considered herself Ukrainian.  She lives in Samara where there are better jobs than Kyiv.  I have a pending K1

Samara is the 6th largest city of Russia, on the Volga River.  Aside from the river there is not much to do here.  I didn't meet another english speaker here at all, vs over half of all waiters, etc in Ukraine knowing some level of English.  People generally didn't seem very friendly, rarely would anyone talk in public.  Women are rumored to be hot here (there is some type of folk song about this city if I recall), but as far as what I saw in public I would thing overall below my home state (North Carolina).

Two sections to the museum, with both and rights to take pictures I think this was about $8 for two people.  Main floor exhibit is ok, there is a an app in google store with English voice translations, however it is just one small room.  The base floor exhibit you can finish in about 30 seconds.  Rocket outside that is free to see is the best part.

[url=http://imgbb.com/]

You can take Hoovercraft rides to towns down the river.  Not intended to be a tourist activity but its the the only thing entertaining thing to do in Samara.  They seemed perplexed I would want to do this for fun.

A Typical food court has a KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Sushi (only sushi no hibachi), Russia restaurant, and a Kazakhstan restaurant.  Kazakhstan is basically Russia's Mexicans.  Food looked Turkish.  I've heard multiple Russians list KFC as their favorite place to eat in Russia.  Burger Kings have free refills on sodas, which is pretty much the only place to Russia to do this, they are popular for this reason.  Tap water is not drinkable, but they have a filtration system on the fountain drinks.  I didn't see a fountain drink setup offered anywhere else except the via American Fast food.

Russian food is similar to Ukraine from most accounts.  Food palette is pretty bland.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:14:38 PM by AnonMod »

drsecu

Re: Samara Russia Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Aeroflot (Russian Airways).  Raleigh NC (local for me) to Samara was only $671.  It was about $20 less than Turkish air connecting through Istanbul.  I'm sure some of you remember I took exception to Turkish food, I decided to try Aeroflot this go around.  Workers know less english than turkish did.  I would not call Food great, maybe not even good but better than Turkish Air.  Always two entree choices and they were pretty good.  Moscow to Samara was much more basic service, but I this leg is priced at like $60 or so, so you shouldn't expect much.  Airports are like Istanbul in that to use internet you have to already have telephone/internet service, because you have to sign up and receive a text message.

drsecu

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:06:50 AM »
Main thing to do in Samara is walk on the Volga river.  In June and August you can observe it, and in July swim.

Stalin's bunker has bad reviews online, but I thought it was pretty interesting.  You can sit at Salin's desk and take pictures.  It was a state secret until 1991, it was rumored the 497 workers that built it were all killed to keep the secret.  The Russian guide told us Japan attacked Pearl Harbor because they were to afraid of Russia.  He also showed us a video of a WWII victory parade and told us the american's were not there because it was too cold for us.  The parade appeared to be in Moscow so not sure why he would expect us to be there?

The girl had a Dandy (chinese snes) so I build her a raspberry with roms of the games she played as a kid.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:15:28 PM by AnonMod »

drsecu

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:10:01 AM »
I always would tell her about Taco tuesdays, and she said they had no tacos, so I brought a taco kit to cook.  This is the one of the few pics I had inside.  Her apartment is modern, I'm pretty impressed.

All the radiators are turned off, but just the pips running through make the place super hot.   You typically have to keep a window open, even though it was below freezing the entire trip.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:15:47 PM by AnonMod »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »

Excellent trip report. Based on the big smiles, I think it was a success. Thanks for sharing!
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »
Nice write-up and pics.  Thanks for sharing.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

drsecu

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
I'm leaning toward bailing (K1 pending).  I feel pretty awful and shallow but I don't think I'm attracted (edit attracted not attractive) enough to her.  She is a great person but I really be screwing her over if she came over (giving up job and appartment) and I didn't go threw with it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:31:56 AM by drsecu »

Offline ML

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
I don't think I'm attractive enough to her. 

Are you speaking about her attraction to you; or did you mean you are not attracted enough to her ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
I'm leaning toward bailing (K1 pending).  I feel pretty awful and shallow but I don't think I'm attractive enough to her.  She is a great person but I really be screwing her over if she came over (giving up job and appartment) and I didn't go threw with it.

Silly man, don't let your faulty self-image get in the way of something that could be the change of a lifetime..

First of all no man deserves his woman, with few exceptions,  I really don't match up to my girl in the looks department, but apparently I have something she likes a lot about me since she is willing to give up a really high paying job, friends and relatives and her native country to come live in Sweden.. and she keeps saying how good I look, how handsome I am, how attentive and a good man I am.
And I am all that, to her - and that my good man - that is what counts.

work on your insecurity instead of making a stupid decision..
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

drsecu

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
I screwed up the wording, I'm not very attracted to her.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
haha well that put things in a different light..
If so, then you are most likely doing the right thing, for both of you.
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »

At least you're honest, some guys on here post trip reports that all is rosy then we never hear anything more of them, odds are the relationship has gone south but that is something they are not big enough to say.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »

Then why the hell did you bother to start the process???? This poor girl.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
Then why the hell did you bother to start the process???? This poor girl.

I gather he determined his lack of attraction for her after spending more time with her.
Nothing unusual about that.
Sometimes it takes a while for manners, quirks, habits, etc., to come out and irritate or whatever.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
Well, I don't know why some would be panning a guy for being honest with a lady he has decided won't light his candle - BEFORE she gives up her life, job, etc.,

How you tell her, explain will not be easy ... But I hope you invest in asking for a native speaker to help you write a letter and I wish you both well

Offline BillyB

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »
I'm leaning toward bailing (K1 pending).  I feel pretty awful and shallow but I don't think I'm attracted (edit attracted not attractive) enough to her.  She is a great person but I really be screwing her over if she came over (giving up job and appartment) and I didn't go threw with it.

You're honest with us about it but you should also be honest with her and talk about it. She may be happy with you but you may be a person living with regret and a marriage with her may not go smooth and end badly. You're in a tough spot right now.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
I gather he determined his lack of attraction for her after spending more time with her.
Nothing unusual about that.
Sometimes it takes a while for manners, quirks, habits, etc., to come out and irritate or whatever.

Which is the exact reason for getting to know someone BEFORE deciding to start marriage process?
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

drsecu

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 06:33:42 AM »
Which is the exact reason for getting to know someone BEFORE deciding to start marriage process?

I had thought my process was fairly good.  I've known her for 1.5+ years.  Casual friends on facebook, met her in Ukraine, met her family there after we hit it off, skypes almost daily, visit to russia to see in everyday life and meet her father.  I have 2.5 months before K1 decision is due so I have plenty of time to pull the application so it won't count against my 2 lifetime applications.

In Ukraine I had some doubts but I chalked it up to me adjusting to normal (l've had some really thin model type GFs here).  I see her daily on skype and thought attraction was there.  She is about the perfect person otherwise.  It just wasn't doing it for me in person though.  I'm second guessing myself now that I am back home again, but I was ready to bail out by day 3 of trip after not seeing her for 5-6 months, so I think its too risky to do this.

drsecu

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 06:38:50 AM »

How you tell her, explain will not be easy ... But I hope you invest in asking for a native speaker to help you write a letter and I wish you both well

Her English is very good.  She is going to be heartbroken though.  I'm going to wait until a Friday night or Saturday to do it so she can be recovered for work.  I'm became fairly close to her mom and sister (via Facebook).  I'm going to disappoint everyone.  I may wait until next week to do it just because I have my kids this week.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:18 AM »
??

It's Thursday

Write the letter today, send it tomorrow - before you have your kids round - it will be evening in Russia

NOT something to put off - do the right thing !

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 07:18:07 AM »
??

It's Thursday

Write the letter today, send it tomorrow - before you have your kids round - it will be evening in Russia

NOT something to put off - do the right thing !
Absolutely agree. Dude, this is about her feelings not yours.....
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
  I have 2.5 months before K1 decision is due . . .

I see her daily on skype and thought attraction was there.  She is about the perfect person otherwise.  It just wasn't doing it for me in person though.

First, I thought you said you had already started K1; so what's this mean 'before decision due?'

Second, you have left us in the dark as to what you see as the problem with her.
'Otherwise' she is perfect.
So mathematically speaking, what does (1-Otherwise) consist of?

drsecu

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »
I applied for a K1 but we are are about 2.5 months from a decision, after which she would be scheduled for interviews, etc.  I can withdraw the application now and its like it never happened.  I'm out $535 fee either way, but doesn't count against the 2 K1 ones you are allowed, and it would not have as big of an effect on her if she was on a K1 in the future.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:43:01 AM by drsecu »

drsecu

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »

Second, you have left us in the dark as to what you see as the problem with her.
'Otherwise' she is perfect.
So mathematically speaking, what does (1-Otherwise) consist of?

I'm not attracted to her to the extent I would want to commit, for whatever reason it is different in person than Skype.  She is an awesome and genuine person.  My gut was telling me to bail after a couple days in the trip, so it seems to risky to go through with the move.  I'm having second thoughts now because I like her as a person so much.

Offline ML

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
I'm not attracted to her to the extent I would want to commit, for whatever reason it is different in person than Skype.  She is an awesome and genuine person.  My gut was telling me to bail after a couple days in the trip, so it seems to risky to go through with the move.  I'm having second thoughts now because I like her as a person so much.

So in reality, to you, she is more like a female cousin or the girl next door who you have a good time talking to, but feel no romantic attraction to.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1873
Total: 1884

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM