It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trip report from a yacht  (Read 27777 times)

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Trip report from a yacht
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 11:03:07 AM »
day 5

Woke up to the sounds of Spanish voices and popped my head out to wonder who was up so early. on of the big catamarans - to moor on the same pontoon as us was heading off with the first light.

They had 'joined' us late in the evening at the restaurant and seemed keen to head off.

There was no wind to speak of an I got a shot of the fort and the drooping flag - rare during our time and waited for SC to surface.

She didn't want to climb to the top of the fort - but to swim in a 'private place', where we could have breakfast, so we set off across the fiord to a place where bigger yachts couldn't go in ....

..except that catamarans draw even less than our keel and when we got their - under sail - there was the Spaniards  :chuckle:

They had taken the prime spot and we had to moor in such a way that if they wanted to leave, before us - any mooring lines - I planned to tie up between the rocks - would have to be removed. By the time I used a combo of anchors - SC had made breakfast and we took a dip, first.. The Spanish had gone ashore to check out some more Byzantine ruins.

I filmed her - after we had just swam a long way - and noted that more folk were arriving - it was v.early. It was a party of Russian in kayaks - also coming to see the ruins.. so much for our 'private cove'  ..

The Cat - of course - wanted to leave and I made sure they could without 'sinking' us and we had breakfast- fresh fruit - as always.

We were heading back and the prevailing wind would be against us if we didn't make a headland by about 12 noon - when it tended to really kick in.

So, we couldn't stay and SC couldn't hang off the back as the wind was so light that we had to use the dreaded 'iron top sail to help the sails' - This was a day when she allowed the bimini - a sort of parasol over the rear of the boat - to be used.

As it transpired the wind didn't kick in until about 2 pm and the last 30 mins was hard on the wind - the boat healing - and SC was wondering why why didn't need to sit on the sides to keep her flat - so important in my little Laser. I was pleased that she was picking up tips and she helmed - rather than using the auto-pilot as we surfed into a bay.

I had an appointment at a hotel - only accessible by boat - and we arrived at 1630- the meeting was 2030 - at the restaurant

We rested and swan with the Turtles -Loggerbacks - but every time I videoed them - they would dive ..a bit like SC -  >:(

We went ashore at 1900 - all 'dressed up' - High heel shoes - it the water proof bag - and landed at what we THOUGHT was the Hotel's steps..

Two elderly guys - who had been swimming - climbed the steps and one of them asked if we were 'expected  guests' ?...  I realised my mistake and the penalty was an invitation to join them for pre meal drinks.

They were Italians and both had made their homes in Turkey - one here in the bay and another lives in Istanbul - both knew the 'Stans intimately and also know SC's old boss ...  :o

SC doesn't really drink and had never tried Rosé - but this was a good Portuguese wine and two bottles were consumed prior to our adjourning to the restaurant. These guys were such characters and knew the people we were meeting - which made the business so much easier.

- our host looks glum.. Perhaps he's realised that it is time to open another bottle...SC has had two glasses and probably needs the chairs to stand..NOT a drinker..like me, I cannot drink much.

The Hotel is owned by a Turk with a Scots wife and her cooking is legendary.

View from the dining table

Our surprise host told us to be up at 0800 as his 'man' would take us to the fruit / veg market and collect / return us from our boat. So we couldn't drink too much after our presentation was complete - the best part was two orders - from the hosts and the people we had lined up for a meeting - that paid for the holiday and some...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:41:55 PM by msmobyone »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 11:50:25 PM »
''swan with the Turtles'' - excuse the typo
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »
Day 6

Woke up at 0730 and prepared for our water taxi to Kas fruit and veg market. SC can be ready in minutes - which is a revelation to me - and our driver arrives 5 minutes early

I admit that - for a change - it is pleasant to get somewhere fast :chuckle:

We were given an hour to do our shopping for provisions and headed up into the town to look for the market. It was only 0830, but the late June sun meant the market was covered with awnings to protect the product and people.

I speak little Turkish and found Google's translate function - pre-downloaded was entertaining but helpful.

SC adores fruit and veg and I was presented with several large bags to carry back - 'garçon mode'  :chuckle: SC sauntered back while I panicked that our driver would head back without us...naturally, he wasn't on time and Madam returned before him and couldn't understand what all the 'fuss' was about.

I was 'nervous' as I had an appointment at 1000 back at the hotel and if we missed our taxi....

SC swam with the turtles and I concluded the 'deal' and we set off to moor up some quiet for lunch and the plan was to wait for the Meltemi winds to drop and make our way to the Marina and spend the last day of the charter pottering about.

Turtle time..well nearly - blink and you'll miss 'em

One of my clients took a photo of us departing .. as you can see it was peaceful and that was the forecast.

The wind was too light to sail, and our route took us directly into what wind there was so we used the dreaded iron top sail...the motor.  The passage was only 10 km and involved negotiating the channel between the eastern most Greek island and the Turkish coast. We had nearly reached the headland where we could turn to starboard - right - and be in the sheltered inlet to the Marina.

The wind came up without warning and shortly after we were in steep seas and it was hard to make way. I decided to 'give up' and take shelter in the lee of the cliffs off the Greek island. Larger yachts around us also turned tail and I was feeling 'clever' until the anchor - which I had left hanging - rather than stowing - decided to go over the side along with 60m of chain.

SC took the helm and I had to pull in the anchor as the boat rocked sideways and up and down - reassuring her that I did not intend to fall overboard. Luckily, there was 90m below us - as if the anchor had held... I dread to think of the consequences. I was an IDIOT and although SC thought I was a hero - at the time - I had broken just about every precaution. Wind does not come up like that in the UK and I really should have known better.

I managed to get the anchor and chain back and stowed in under three minutes and we motored the 2 km to shelter in 20 minutes - blown along.

The moment we were under the cliffs the wind and waves stopped.... SC thought it was 'magic' and we soon dropped anchor where we spent our first night.

A Greek family paddled past on a surfboard with their dog and had NO idea of the hell only 1km distant

Looks so peaceful over in Turkey..

We needed to crash and slept - waking an hour before sunset ...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:24:32 AM by msmobyone »

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 12:25:36 AM »
day 6 - continued

We awoke to the sound of an engine close by - the fishing 'fleet' was returning. We had nodded off in the cockpit and must have looked 'interesting' with arms and legs strewn in death like doses - such was the stress of the short passage.

We promptly dressed and rowed ashore in the inflatable. The wind was still strong and the sun was dropping behind the tall cliffs that offered us shelter. We reached the top of the hill and took a long flight of steps to the Mosque at the entrance to the harbour. The sun was still shining this side.

One of us was dressed for sun.. the other knew it would be cooler when the sun disappeared

The harbour of Kastellorizo is rectangular in shape and the boats moor up stern to - our vessel would have looked tiny in the company of some of the vessels present. All the hoses were painted in pastel shades and were more traditional than the modern new builds we had seen on the TR mainland.

After WW1 the French and Brits had encouraged the Greeks to land in Asia minor and the initial land gains ended up in military retreat and the Greeks having to abandon their settlements on the mainland.  Population exchanges took place and Turks from Crete and Greeks from the mainland were painful examples of the 'swap' - leaving evidence of past settlements by folk of a different ethnic background.... it is all very sad.. How the Greeks ended up getting this island and three tiny ones nearby - eludes me. But as you'll see - it has made for an interesting population make up...

Greeks tend to eat late and we had to wake up early next morning - hoping for calm conditions to get the boat back to the marina in time. So we found a fish restaurant in the middle of the harbour - and sat down - we had the choice of tables.

Now, you may have seen I tried to get a decent shot of Turtles - but they seemed to tease me - diving when I aimed the camera - not tonight ... I got 2 of them playing - right by harbour edge.

SC came over to see why I was 'excited' and they swam off  :chuckle:

We started to take photos of each other - hoping they would come back ..

I retain some 'Greek' from my Cyprus days - Cypriot Greek is more an evolved dialect and sounds harsher... I prefer the softer tones of 'true' Greek and was shocked by the accent I heard...it sounded REALLY Aussie ?

So, we ordered our fish and soon locals started to arrive. I asked a man if he was Australian -I took a risk as he was HUGE  - and he roared with laughter  - ''Aussie Greek mate, as are over half the *snip*s you'll meet when things liven up''  :o

It transpires that their families are from the island and come during the Aussie winter. We met folk from Melbourne Sydney and Adelaide... ???

S.C . had NO idea what we were saying - as we spoke too quickly - so we all spoke in simple English. Retsina flowed - I hadn't tried the stuff since I was 22 and it tasted better than I remembered.

The meal was great ... I had Sea Bass and S.C. said the Kalamari - Squid - was the best she had eaten.

As we ate another Turtle came close by - Those who understand Russia - please forgive my incorrect use of the second person singular and many more irregularities .. I was excited that these Turtles - were coming so close

We couldn't 'escape' the now buzzin' atmosphere and we met 3 Lithuanians - so S.C could now converse in Russian. They lived in Turkey and had never stayed over - and I am certain they had hangovers the next day. We left them dancing to Greek music at 0030.

We had discussed the impending possibility of a 'Grexit' - the crunch day was 2 days later- but the Aussie Greeks had their money in Australian banks and there biz would keep the islands single shop and Bank going  - even if  they had to deal in Turkish Lira - which was readily accepted. They were partying like there was no tomorrow.

S.C and I made our excuses - bought some wild honey - using TR Lira - fair exchange rate - and we headed back.

We saw the duty Policeman - but decided he wouldn't be interested to process a non EU visitor and we simply said 'Kalispera sas' to the group he was taking Coffee with.

We were never bothered by immigration officials and I wonder if this island is inundated with refugees - being so close to the TR mainland.

We went to sleep - the wind was still blowing hard - the flags of the castle stiff as boards... I wondered if we'd default on our charter.

My mobile phone refused to work and I used S.C's Turkish sim to send an sms to the German lady owner that we were close by - but would try to cross the channel in the morning.

SC slept and I stayed up on deck - deciding if the wind dropped we would make a night passage ...

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »
Wonderful story and a great adventure !!

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing, moby.  I enjoy your posts.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
Good TR. I'm enjoying the photos and videos on the water, especially of the large turtles. Also the excellent description of the wonderful seafood and fruits you and Sveta are having.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 02:05:01 AM »
Thanks to all who have posted compliments.

This was a very simple vacation - with the Euro [ edited to add; and Turkish Lira ] weak against the UK Pound - the charter of the yacht was great value. The yacht part of the story is nearing the end - and it is great to have a diary version for the future.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:26:15 PM by msmobyone »

Offline Gator

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  SC is hot.  I like the photo of her holding the tiller while reclining.  How are her tacking skills - please show a video. 

Sailing is a delightful way to tour.   One of my business partners has a 48' boat and I have sailed with him a few times in the Caribbean and New England.  Sailing is very relaxing except for docking, anchoring, coming about in strong wind and waves - clearly I am not seaworthy.   

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  SC is hot.  I like the photo of her holding the tiller while reclining.  How are her tacking skills - please show a video.

Thanks,Phil... Yes that particular shot was her idea...

Re 'tacking skills' - she had to take the tiller during the storm that came out of no where and when anchoring up. As there was only the two of us - no videos  ;D

She had NEVER been sailing before and was totally trusting and a brilliant crew.

Sailing is a delightful way to tour.   One of my business partners has a 48' boat and I have sailed with him a few times in the Caribbean and New England.  Sailing is very relaxing except for docking, anchoring, coming about in strong wind and waves - clearly I am not seaworthy.

Indeed, S.C. wants the 'next yacht' to have a

1/ windlass - winch for anchor
2/ roller reefing mainsail

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 05:01:33 PM »
Indeed, S.C. wants the 'next yacht' to have a

1/ windlass - winch for anchor
2/ roller reefing mainsail

What! No galley slave or cute stewies?
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »
What! No galley slave or cute stewies?

Goodness, no... that would be a crowd ;D

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »
Day 7

Woke at 0545 - not sure I had really slept and the wind was dropping ..felt it was more than safe enough to cross the channel - but did not want to put SC off sailing for life.

I started the engine, lifted the stern anchor and SC did her usual trick of waking up and being ready in seconds - quite a feat - judging from my previous experience of FSU women - hence I keep saying it :)

SC took the helm and we weighed anchor  - she had become proficient.

It took 5 minutes to reach the end of the shelter of the cliffs and we entered the channel to find the wind had completely dropped and the sea was a gentle swell.

It took us 30 minutes to cross the channel. We didn't talk much - SC was watching for dark patches of water that would mean a squall and I was tired and a little sad that this would be our last day on the waves.

We entered the inlet and we knew we would make the marina by 11 - as no matter what the wind in the open seas - it could never be that bad in the sheltered inlet.

I even opened the front sail - the Genoa - but it was useless - such was the lack of wind.

We arrived at the first anchorage -  where we had met the Scots, It was only 0730 - the water was beautifully clear and SC had her last aquarobics session and I tried to film her..

Guess who forgot to connect the camera to the charger ?

The waters were so clear and we swam amongst tiny fish that ate bread crumbs we threw to them - causing the water to 'boil'.

Then we had our last al fresco breakfast. :(

It was time to pack, tidy up, fill up with fuel and meet the German lady owner at 1100 ...

Offline msmob

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 03:46:03 AM »
RWD123 mentioned photos and I was going to mention my personal fav and  discovered the hilarious 'censorship' by photobucket  - THE WORST photo sharing company -   re our fav photo from our first yachting trip in Turkey ..

Offline msmob

Re: Trip report from a yacht ( revisited )
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »
My Goodness !

Photobucket had stopped sharing images uness a paid for option was chosen overnight and I've just noticed they're back working....

Happy days

Maxx2 had posted some great Georgia shots, so they'll be viewable again, too !!

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=22265.msg496611#msg496611

Edit to add : Ooops - I forgot he moved to Flickr

Maxx .... Flickr is introducing a 1000 image limit, soon - so you might like to look at imgur.com

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:10:46 AM by msmob »

Offline John Gaunt

Re: Trip report from a yacht ( revisited )
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2019, 04:53:13 AM »
My Goodness !

Photobucket had stopped sharing images uness a paid for option was chosen overnight and I've just noticed they're back working....

Happy days

Maxx2 has some great Georgia shots, so they'll be viewable again, too !!

Ha

What’s the fixation with posting naked pics of SC?
Do you need some kind of approval from forum members?
Seriously, some screws loose somewhere

Offline msmob

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2019, 04:55:15 AM »
Interesting ... A guess as I cannot read the above post ... the ignore function works ( blissfully) perfectly if there is no quote involved ... :popcorn:

Offline John Gaunt

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2019, 08:18:33 AM »
Interesting ... A guess as I cannot read the above post ... the ignore function works ( blissfully) perfectly if there is no quote involved ... :popcorn:
Hmmmm, Moby posting about posts he cannot see, allegedly.

Offline msmob

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »
Not 'allegedly' ... I CAN see your posts when:

1/ they are quoted

2/ If I'm in  in preview mode, any posts of yours  can be seen below

Unfortunately, that means I now see the one I couldn't see before, so suggest you avert your eyes - as I'm trying my best to do with your posts

So, if any image 'upsets' you  :popcorn:

Just for you -  she has a jumper on ...

Offline John Gaunt

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »
Not 'allegedly' ... I CAN see your posts when:

1/ they are quoted

2/ If I'm in  in preview mode, any posts of yours  can be seen below

Unfortunately, that means I now see the one I couldn't see before, so suggest you avert your eyes - as I'm trying my best to do with your posts

So, if any image 'upsets' you  :popcorn:

Just for you -  she has a jumper on ...

If you want to post nekkid pics of your SO, go right ahead. Don’t be shy on my behalf.
I just question why anyone would want to?
Maybe it’s a sub conscious desire to seek approval?

Offline msmob

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 10:51:03 AM »
I'm guessing JG might be asking for more interesting photos?

So, some architecture / history

The world's largest wooden building - north of Pattaya, Thailand

We didn't arrive by yacht - but I'm sure he won't notice / comment

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1901
Total: 1912

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM