It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: USC's Film School  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
USC's Film School
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
I have a question.  My younger son (not so young, 29-yo) will enroll this Fall in the MFA program at USC's  Film School.  We are planning expenses.  I would appreciate any opinions about off-campus residential accommodations.

He will probably rent a 1BR place.  He has a car but we are uncertain about student parking, etc.  His delightful girlfriend may join him, so safety is an issue.   Commuting recommended?  Any suggested locations?  Prices?

This is the same lad who made his mother and father worry much.  His mother had two reasons to move three hours away - get away from both me and her son.  I feel that if I had been a better father, he would have arrived at USC sooner, perhaps working now in the industry.  I guess that if I had been a worse father, he would now be living on the fringe, if living. 

He is justifiably proud to accomplish this, knowing USC rejected Steven Spielberg's application three times. 

Thank you.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: USC's Film School
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »
I have a degree from USC, but many years ago, so I am not up to date on current situation.

However, back in the day, USC was basically surrounded by ghetto areas.  So off campus housing was pretty dicy.

You definitely need to try to get up to date info; hopefully the off campus situation is much better there now.

Their film program is definitely top notch.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:12 PM »
I have sponsored Student Athletes at USC and seen their off campus living accommodations.  To the direct West of campus there are a series of rental units in houses that can be obtained.  The pricing is not inexpensive, but palatable.   Typically, units in these homes go from college soapbox to upscale granite.  There is a wide variety to choose from.  The newer units are being put in fitting for someone who is paying $50,000 per year for tuition.

Directly to the North is the Staples Center.  Across the street from the Staples Center, to the East, are a series of Condominiums which are for the more affluent students.  Finally, two new and huge living accommodations (15 story buildings) have been built, right next to the film school, on Figueroa.  If you are capable to house him there, he will have the best of all public transportation, yet still be able to park his car in the garage.

USC is the Cadillac of the West Coast.  It is slowly displacing the seedy neighborhoods around it and linking up with the upscale downtown area of Los Angeles.

I would assume he wants to plug into the 'industry' at some point in time.  To that end, he is welcome to contact me as I am not without resources in this, my adopted hometown.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »
All things considered, I'd suggest two areas. Marina Del Rey & Southbay. 25 minutes on a great day, 30+ on an average day. Southbay cities are Hermosa, Manhattan, Redondo. Low-end $2,000.00 high-end $3,000.00

Torrance / Lawndale / El Segundo are southbay-adjacent cities and are a slight drop-off from the beach cities. Roughly $200.00 less than the above locations.

Playa Del Rey, north of El Segundo - 30 minutes on a great day - 45 on an average day...$ 1,800.00

If 'SC can't help him find in-campus housing and he'd prefer an apartment setting, downtown LA. We've built a few plush apartment in downtown LA but those rent are astronomical for the location. They're generally for high-end business rentals. You can't however beat the proximity.

Other places to consider will be West LA, Culver City, Mar Vista. Approximately 15 minutes to campus on a great day - 30 on average. Rent for 1 BR will likely command $1,500-$1,800.

Sta Monica / Venice / Brentwood (UCLA adjacent) $2,200.00 low-end - $3,000.00+ high-end.

Hollywood area $1,800.00 average but be prepared this to be somewhat crashed (old and dingy types), but you get to rub elbows with many celebrities on Sunday brunches in many of the sleepy cafes.

San Fernando Valley, like Encino / Sherman Oaks / North Hollywood...while the rents are relatively cheaper, there isn't a 'great day' in terms of traffic. To 'SC, better waste an hour. Still, you're likely will be paying $1,400.00-1,600.00. Same with Pasadena/Glendale/Burbank.

So best bet, which I recommend will be Marina Del Rey / South Bay cities. Fairly safer than most of the other locations.

Main freeways will be on the 10 (Sta Monica FWY) or the 105 (Nairobi Trail Passageway) to the 110 (Harbor FWY).

Use this to get good ideas.

http://www.rent.com/california/marina-del-rey/apartments_condos_townhouses

disclaimer: There are of course many other places that will likely cost far less than the figures I show above. If you opt for any of these, better have good life insurance. If I can;t see myself living there, then I normally don't bother suggesting any of them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:45:36 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline jone

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »
If you are business professional, all of the above scenarios are apropos as outlined by GQ.  But, personally, I would not want to be driving 20 miles each way to the beach cities or South Bay while taking classes. 

If you are a student, you should attempt to live within the areas of the Campus footprint as outlined in my post.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »
If you are business professional, all of the above scenarios are apropos as outlined by GQ.  But, personally, I would not want to be driving 20 miles each way to the beach cities or South Bay while taking classes. 

If you are a student, you should attempt to live within the areas of the Campus footprint as outlined in my post.

Not to beat a dead horse, jone. SC's School of Cinematic Art is exactly 13 miles to Marina Del Rey.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Gator

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
This is what I call valuable advice, and an example of the high social standing of RWD members.

It's my son's choice. The school has an orientation meeting in April for new students.  I advise him to attend, in part to get a feel for where to live.

Thanks everyone.

If his studies go well the first year, we will consider purchasing something for his next two years.  Much to do before then. 

Offline Gator

Re: USC's Film School - An Update
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
My son and his girlfriend flew to LA to attend the Admitted Student Day at USC's film school.  He said "it could not have gone any better," particularly with the faculty.  One professor sought him out, saying he wrote the best essay  she has read in 20 years of interviewing applicants.  Screen writing has now moved up on his list of possible professions.

The faculty warned every student that they would not have time for sleeping.  Their words, "You can catch up in the summer."   ;D   The competition will be intense as only four students in the entire class will be assigned the position of "Director"  when production starts in their second year. 

So my son expects to be spending long and late hours working on school stuff, and he needs a convenient, affordable apartment.  Student parking is not convenient and costs $300/semester vs. $40 here.  He is considering Culver City near the Expo train, which has two stops at the USC campus.  One problem,  the train stops running at 1 am, yet the buses are 24-7. 

Jone mentioned his experience with student athletes.  The athletic center is nearby, and the film school students dine at the cafeteria there, calling it the "Jocketeria."  My son described a stark contrast between the scrawny, long haired film students with little more than medical cigarettes and the huge jocks carrying a tray with 4 plates of food. 

While there, the weather was "awesome," and he and his girlfriend did some skateboarding and beach stuff.   A year ago he had been thinking New York City, yet I now doubt that he will ever leave SoCal.   We have been close over the years, and I will be seeing little of him.  It was time that he grew up with a long term vision and goals.   

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1970
Total: 1980

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM