It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: I landed in Kiev yesterday.  (Read 14293 times)

Offline bigdeg

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
I landed in Kiev yesterday.
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
 Hello all, just landed at Borispol Tuesday. Some of my friends thought I was crazy for coming here with no plan. Things probably would have been a little better if I had planned beforehand. It is all good though. The folks here are very nice, but you must remember that you are the fish out of water.
 Two things that have struck me thus far:
1) t is hard to believe the amount of scamming that is happening to AM. It is not only that Uri poses as a woman when writing letters, but a lot of folks here know "bride hunters", and constantly rip them off.  When I landed, I made sure to have my "fastenall" cap on so everyone knew I was an American. The taxi driver even ripped me off for 40 dollars over exchange rate, he didn't think I noticed, I did but went through with the transaction anyway-I learned a lot from him.
 maybe I will take the express train to lviv Friday.  More later.

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 4 - 10
Re: I landed in Kiev yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »
Enjoy!
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
I love Kyiv/Kiev. It is so full of history. Hope you get the opportunity to discover some of it.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »
When I landed, I made sure to have my "fastenall" cap on so everyone knew I was an American. The taxi driver even ripped me off for 40 dollars over exchange rate, he didn't think I noticed, I did but went through with the transaction anyway-I learned a lot from him.

Huh?  You let everyone know you're American, and then you deliberately let a taxi driver rip you off?

I've got some bridges you might like to buy...  :cluebat:

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »
(Johnny Cash)  I hear that train (wreck) a coming, it's just around the bend......

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
Huh?  You let everyone know you're American, and then you deliberately let a taxi driver rip you off?

This is to help the next WM that come along.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline bigdeg

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
 Yes,
 I am sure no one agrees with me. But when I am in a foreign country I make sure to be labelled as American There is downsides to this, but upsides too, Sure I let the taxi driver rip me off for a little bit, But I also was noticed by a couple that took me out too a nice dinner, they would not even let me pay!
 One question though; I was talking with a girl on "hotrussianbrides" and now that I am in Kiev, they are not accepting my login normal?
 Well its 7 in the morning and I need to find coffee (Mcdonald's has the only passable I have found) though I know there is regular coffee here because Galina made some last night!
Another good day is ahead so goodbye.

Offline bigdeg

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
(Johnny Cash)  I hear that train (wreck) a coming, it's just around the bend......
and I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when...great song!

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »
and I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when...great song!

Good attitude.  I think you're going to do fine.  Did you read your PM?

Offline AkMike

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 10:29:50 PM »
You really don't want to stick out like a sore thumb there. It'll not only lead to getting ripped off but it can get a lot worse. Try to blend in all you can.

That $40 you paid for the cab, last month I paid that for a 3 1/2 hour cab ride. That includes the difference of the massive rate of exchange rate in the last few weeks too. A ride to downtown from KBP should have been 400rph now. The bus to the train terminal would have been 40rph by now.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
Yes,
 I am sure no one agrees with me. But when I am in a foreign country I make sure to be labelled as American There is downsides to this, but upsides too, Sure I let the taxi driver rip me off for a little bit, But I also was noticed by a couple that took me out too a nice dinner, they would not even let me pay!
 One question though; I was talking with a girl on "hotrussianbrides" and now that I am in Kiev, they are not accepting my login normal?
 Well its 7 in the morning and I need to find coffee (Mcdonald's has the only passable I have found) though I know there is regular coffee here because Galina made some last night!

Avoid "hotrussianbrides" it is a waste of your time and money.  Run Forest, run.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »
That $40 you paid for the cab, last month I paid that for a 3 1/2 hour cab ride. That includes the difference of the massive rate of exchange rate in the last few weeks too. A ride to downtown from KBP should have been 400rph now. The bus to the train terminal would have been 40rph by now.

Mike, my interpretation of what he wrote is that he got ripped off for an EXTRA $40 - i.e. if it should have been $20, he paid the equivalent of $60.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:33:12 PM »
You really don't want to stick out like a sore thumb there. It'll not only lead to getting ripped off but it can get a lot worse. Try to blend in all you can.

Agree with this point completely.  However our hero is a bit bold.  Not sure if he will listen.

Offline JayH

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »
Yes,

You need to contact the site administration to allow login while in Ukraine--it is blocked to general view in quite a lot of countries.
Everything you may consider as "regular" is available in Kiev!!
Others have already said-- drawing attention to your Americaness is not a good idea--it will be obvious enough!! In case you still don't get it-- you will draw unwanted attention.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline AkMike

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 10:40:13 PM »
I may have misread that Kiwi. If so he really got hosed!

Bigdeg, you won't impress anyone by blowing money. That's not a quality looked upon with favor there. The ones you do impress aren't the ones you need to/want to impress.

Offline bigdeg

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 11:43:05 PM »
After reading all the replies (thanks all for the tips).
 I always wondered about something myself. If you are travelling part way around the world, and want to find a Lady, and Your first selling point(the icebreaker) is your American, you can accomplish that in many ways. My way (and I am sure it is not yours), is to let the people know i'm American.
 Now with this strategy you have to know when to hide that fact. I am not crazy (well a little). I had a couple guys try to mug me in Thailand. I had to pay a cop 100USD, 22 years ago when I broke one of there arms. But that strategy has got me a lot of free dinners, good info, and I think is worth it, as long as you know when to display.
 It is all good though, thanks to this trip, I have now been to all 7 continents ( well I only walked on an ice shelf in Antarctica).
I wish all the learned people on this site would ponder on this. I am a millwright, any millwright will tell you there is only one way to do things, and very good millwright will say there is many ways to do things.
Dale

Offline AkMike

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
Your first 'selling point' is yourself. You nationality comes later on.. Being an American isn't going to impress them. You're not the first foreigner in Ukraine.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 11:56:22 PM »
After reading all the replies (thanks all for the tips).
 I always wondered about something myself. If you are travelling part way around the world, and want to find a Lady, and Your first selling point(the icebreaker) is your American, you can accomplish that in many ways. My way (and I am sure it is not yours), is to let the people know i'm American.
 Now with this strategy you have to know when to hide that fact. I am not crazy (well a little). I had a couple guys try to mug me in Thailand. I had to pay a cop 100USD, 22 years ago when I broke one of there arms. But that strategy has got me a lot of free dinners, good info, and I think is worth it, as long as you know when to display.
 It is all good though, thanks to this trip, I have now been to all 7 continents ( well I only walked on an ice shelf in Antarctica).
I wish all the learned people on this site would ponder on this. I am a millwright, any millwright will tell you there is only one way to do things, and very good millwright will say there is many ways to do things.
Dale

I wouldn't bring up your nationality unless you are asked.  AkMike is correct, you won't be a novelty in Kiev.  In fact, their first thought may go more along the lines of possible sex tourist if you start going around introducing yourself as an American.

Offline southernX

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:17 AM »
Your first 'selling point' is yourself. You nationality comes later on.. Being an American isn't going to impress them. You're not the first foreigner in Ukraine.

totally agree mike ,

it is ''you'' she will VALUE  not your passport

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 01:18:13 AM »
Oh well, it looks like this gent is on an adventure to a part of the world that he's never been to before rather than a serious search. Nothing wrong with that at all.
 I just hope that he doesn't get hurt along the way.

Offline bigdeg

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:35 AM »
 I am sorry but I still stand by the fact that The country is an ice-breaker. I am not talking about a passport, we have a reputation of hard work, ingenuity, and certain values. If someone thinks that is not an ice-breaker, I feel sorry for you. Realize that the good reputation of AM as husbands/boyfriends is forefront in these ladies minds. we all use it as an ice-breaker to some extent. Now that extent will vary, some will not flaunt it themselves, but saying it does not exist too my mind is just foolish. I myself will use the reputation of western men as a ice-breaker (or a reason to talk with a RW/UW) all day, but only as an ice-breaker!
All I know if I am having a great time, have a date with a ladies sister who I met because her brother-in-law struck up a conversation with an American. If she did not know I was American, would I have even had the opportunity to meet her?

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 05:11:48 AM »
ok I'm sorry for this, but for me NOT being an American your post only makes me think about...............
"OK I am fat, ugly, poor and without teeths.. BUT I'm an American - everyone wants me"

I have nothing further to add to this conversation  :rolleyes:
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline jone

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:33 AM »
I think our intrepid hero should enjoy Ukraine and not worry about meeting Mrs. Wright.  It sounds like he is on an adventure and should soak in the culture.  The likelihood of him finding someone without advance contact is like winning the lottery here in the States.  It can be done, but it is VERY unlikely.

Any efforts at contacting women will almost certainly fail.  His English grammar usage is worse than most of the Ukrainian and Russian women I have communicated with.  And to make a contact, other than for pay, in Kyiv, is going to require some fast footwork. 

Having said that, one thing that has worked is to walk directly into a marriage agency and ask to find someone who is really interested in marrying.  Most of the gals who use agencies are there only for a paycheck.  But one or two would be interested in meeting someone.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline jone

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:35 AM »
By the way, I call the above method:   The Forrest Gump approach.  Stupid is as stupid does.  Sometimes being in the right place with a few special skills is all its about.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Shadow

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:07 AM »
You do not have to tell people you are American. Big mouth and waving wallet tell enough.
If you are having some extra time do not forget to check out the Zoo and if it is already open the open-air museum. Both are drawing more locals as tourists.

And instead of the taxis use public transport or walk. Not only a lot cheaper and zero chance of being ripped off, but usually also faster to get around.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541325
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701