It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: ML and Ukrainian Women.  (Read 265206 times)

Offline mies

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: ML and Ukrainian Women.
« Reply #775 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »
Ochka is now saying she cannot be away from me.

She is hoping the situation in Ukraine continues to cool a bit, so that she can return to USA without feeling like she abandoned Ukraine in its moment of need.

And her parents are STRONGLY urging her to go back to USA.

I also urge her to return to USA ASAP, because the war with Russia may start any moment, and then the borders may get closed. The Ukrainian Parliament voted yesterday for the law to limit the movement of individuals to and from Crimea, also the executive order was issued yesterday on the anti-terrorist operation in Eastern Ukraine. There are serious discussions about introducing the state of emergency in Eastern Ukraine. If there will be the state of emergency, it might be difficult to travel to or out of this region. 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #776 on: April 17, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
Ochka should visit TJ Maxx stores more often, especially the ones that have "Runway" department.
Only $150, discounted from $800+, designer, french-made, leather lining and soles, non-slip rubber inserts on soles:

Mies, thanks for the info.

We have been to TJM before, but must not have been one with 'Runway' because didn't see any of the boots you mentioned.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #777 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
I also urge her to return to USA ASAP, because the war with Russia may start any moment, and then the borders may get closed. The Ukrainian Parliament voted yesterday for the law to limit the movement of individuals to and from Crimea, also the executive order was issued yesterday on the anti-terrorist operation in Eastern Ukraine. There are serious discussions about introducing the state of emergency in Eastern Ukraine. If there will be the state of emergency, it might be difficult to travel to or out of this region.

Mies, thanks for your words.

Actually, Ochka is on the plane to return to USA today.

She will be here in time to take final exams for her masters program in two weeks.

We will also be applying for her 12 month EAD card (employment authorization document) which is fairly automatic for F-1 visa holders, plus STEM graduates can fairly automatically get 17 month extension for total of 29 months employment authorization.

As soon as her finals are over, we are going to rent a large motor home and spend a month traveling around parts of USA.  I want to show her a lot of the 'natural wonders.'
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mies

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #778 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
Mies, thanks for the info.

We have been to TJM before, but must not have been one with 'Runway' because didn't see any of the boots you mentioned.

YVW!

http://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/jump/category/the-runway/cat830005p

P.S. the ability to make yummi chocolate cakes gets better with time :-)

Offline ML

« Reply #779 on: April 17, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
P.S. the ability to make yummi chocolate cakes gets better with time :-)

Well, I know that many abilities do get better with time!!

One of them is ability to improvise in cooking . . . when needed.

I know some people (like me) panic if some food item or ingredient is not available;  while others can say . . . let's try this as a substitute.

Offline ML

« Reply #780 on: April 20, 2014, 05:31:14 PM »
Easter 2014

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #781 on: April 20, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
Easter 2014

Mate, you REALLY need to get her to that dermatologist!  ;D

On a more serious note, I'm glad that she's safely back with you.

Offline ML

« Reply #782 on: May 30, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
We just finished a 31 day trip through many western states in a rented RV.

Denver, Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak, Garden of Gods, Air Force Academy, Broadmoor Hotel), Taos, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas (Ochka quadrupled her money at roulette wheel, although it wasn't huge money), Los Angeles, Sequoia, Yosemite, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park, Rocky Mountains.

Ochka drove the 25 foot RV along some twisting, narrow roads . . . a real trooper.  She was a perfect traveling companion . . . no complaints, handled all 'set backs' with ease (I didn't), cooked many meals in the RV, quickly mastered the task of water and electrical hook ups, and even the 'dump' system; and still dressed up to look like a million bucks when we dined out.

She is still glowing after the trip and talking a mile a minute on Skype reviewing the details with friends and family.

We escaped Colorado before the hail and snow there, but got right in the middle of the 100 degree temperatures in California.

It snowed at Grand Canyon, but only a little and didn't stick.

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #783 on: May 30, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
You didn't happen to stay at the Overlook Hotel, did you?

I hear it's ok, as long as you stay away from room 237.

Offline ML

« Reply #784 on: May 30, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »
You didn't happen to stay at the Overlook Hotel, did you?

I hear it's ok, as long as you stay away from room 237.

We were there and met Stephen, Jack, and Stanley.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #785 on: May 30, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
She is still glowing after the trip and talking a mile a minute on Skype reviewing the details with friends and family.

Based on some of the places you visited, I'm not surprised. My wife didn't like the idea of a road trip the first time I brought it up but after seeing some of the national parks she thinks it's the best part of the vacation.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #786 on: May 30, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »
Guess where this is?

Offline ML

« Reply #787 on: May 30, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »
The gambler.

Offline JayH

« Reply #788 on: May 30, 2014, 08:47:44 PM »
Great to read the update. I was wondering what had happened to you 2  !!
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline calmissile

« Reply #789 on: May 30, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
Glad to see things are back on track.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #790 on: May 30, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
First time in the Pacific.

It is never warm.

Offline ML

« Reply #791 on: May 30, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
Yes, it is Grand; and it was chilly.

Ochka knows how to wear babuska head-dress.

Offline Gator

« Reply #792 on: June 01, 2014, 09:22:06 AM »
Life is good.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #793 on: June 01, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
Guess where this is?

Santa Monica Boulevard, (West) LA, CA. Between Sunset and Melrose. Corner of Ogden Ave. A half-mile from Traktir Restuarant.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

« Reply #794 on: June 01, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »
Santa Monica Boulevard, (West) LA, CA. Between Sunset and Melrose. Corner of Ogden Ave. A half-mile from Traktir Restuarant.

Don't remember the exact cross streets and corners but; yep that is it.  Ochka got a big kick out of it, and took the picture.

We were touring around looking at the places that I worked and went to university.

Interestingly (or not), I worked at One Wilshire Blvd in downtown LA and at 9100 Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills.

There was a great Jewish Delicatessen within a couple of blocks of 9100, but it was no longer there.

I also belonged to the Beverly Hills YMCA at 9930 Santa Monica Blvd and played basketball there during lunch hour.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #795 on: June 02, 2014, 09:10:21 AM »
That may well have been Canter's, one of the *more* popular Jewish Deli in LA. It's subjective of course. Other JDs are Langer's, Brents, and Jerry's. There are others but since I'm not Jewish, I'm not too keen in all of them. Of those in the list, I really like Brent's the best.

IIRC, you once mentioned living in either Sherman Oaks/Encino. There's a Russian/Russian-speaking community there (and growing) and I think bigger than in west LA. Wonderful restaurant along Ventura Blvd called 'Eurasia' (Ukrainian/Russian/Uzbekistan). Incredibly delicious items on their menus and rated *A* best 2014 based on Yelp reviews. It faces one of the more 'complete' Russian market I know in LA called Rasputin. We just ate at Eurasia and went to the market to pick up pickled herring and Kvass...

Did you guys go on the west rim in Grand Canyon from Vegas, or did you hit GC first before LV? The west rim is where you have the Skywalk and you would've found yourself warmly welcomed by the Hualapai tribe.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

« Reply #796 on: June 04, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
When I lived in Sherman Oaks . . . way back when . . . I had no knowledge of anything Russian . . . except the cold war.  So I never knew of any restaurants, etc. there.

We did go to my house there to take some pictures.  And, it just happened that the current owner lady came out to get in her car to leave.  I told her who I was and about my previous ownership; we had a nice chat.

I had purchased the small ranch style house for $40,000 and resold it in 5 years for $120,000.  Thought I had made a killing.  Now she tells me she has offers for $900,000 which would be just for the land.  The  original houses all around (built soon after WWII) have been torn down and new two story monsters built that sell for $2.5 mil and up.

Regarding Grand Canyon, we just did the standard entrance from the East (we drove across northern New Mexico and Arizona) to visit the South rim.  Ochka has a hard time even standing near the railings, so I knew she would never have walked out on the glass thingy further to the west . . . and probably I wouldn't have either!!

Offline ML

« Reply #797 on: July 05, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
Ochka has been working via Skype with a friend in Kyiv who is knowledgeable in real estate.

She is going to Kyiv soon to finalize a deal to purchase a 3 room, 2 bath apartment, plus kitchen and hall ways of course.  In USA, we would call it a 2 BR, 2 bath unit with living room and kitchen.

It is in the new development called Green Island 2 and is across street from the new USA Embassy and bordering the huge Nyvky Park.   It consists of four 24 story buildings and is about 70 percent sold out.  Final touches on common areas and landscaping are nearing completion.  There is a Green Island 1 nearby which is already sold out, finished and filled with owners/tennants, except some office space still available on first floor.

This will be for investment purpose for Ochka.  As per the standard, these apartment units are sold as shells.  Exterior doors and windows installed, electric wires hanging out walls and ceilings, plumbing pipes stubbed off, etc.  She and her deceased husband finished off one of these previously,  so she has experience managing the process.  Relatives and friends are going to do most of the finishing work for her.

Anyone know anything about these Green Island developments?

Those of you who have been to the new USA Embassy on Sikorsky street know of the area.

Seems like a 'no brainer' to purchase newly completed apartments near the embassy and Nyvky park now.

http://build.kovalska.com/en/

http://kovalska.com/en/residential-complexes

http://newkiev.com.ua/en/novostroyki/green_island/

http://build.kovalska.com/en/press/news/519/

This is Green Island 1.

http://newkiev.com.ua/en/novostroyki/green_island/

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:31:19 AM by ML »

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
« Reply #798 on: July 05, 2014, 07:10:22 PM »
Only 198 garage parking spots for 4 25-story complexes?
http://www.zagorodna.com/en/analytics/real-estate-prices-have-returned-to-2004.html

Hope they are built better than these:
But Mr Duchovychniy said that in their pursuit of profit developers threw caution to the wind, adding floors to their plans while disregarding the need to strenghten foundations.
The result has been a slew of complaints about cracks in the walls, leaky basements and heating breakdowns reported in local media ever since the first residents moved in three years ago.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2423723/Kievs-millionaires-ghost-town-left-Ukrainian-economy-crashed.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:27:27 PM by JohnDearGreen »

Offline ML

« Reply #799 on: July 07, 2014, 08:08:55 AM »
Ochka just got word that her cousin's husband suffered two wounds in military action in Eastern Ukraine.

He is colonel in Ukrainian army.  Pieces of steel rather than lead, so don't know exactly from what; some explosive device.

One piece of metal in his leg.  A physician dug it out in the field with no anesthesia.  He admitted screaming big time.

The other piece of metal is in his back, but luckily not near the spine.  He is in military hospital now, waiting for surgery to remove this piece of metal.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541306
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701