It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Time in Sochi  (Read 6824 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Time in Sochi
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 07:51:49 AM »
I paid 20 rubles, cheaper than the 30 ruble standard in Moscow, to use this toilet.

I seen fancy holes in the ground like that in Ukraine. In Uzbekistan, it's just holes in the ground and you better have good aim,, toilet paper is sometimes non existent and clean up will be difficult if one misses the hole. I suggest newbies practicing squatting at home improving their balance in preparing for their first trip.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Mendy, did you get to the Dendrarium or the 33 waterfalls?  They were the scenic highlights for me.

Yes, the first evening we walked through it but didn't feel the full impact of what makes the place so special. A couple days later however we visited in the afternoon, and wow, what a unique treasure. We saw one very tall plant that supposedly flowers only once per 100 years--and this was the year buds were forming. We took both day and evening photos but I think that they must be on my wife's camera as I haven't found them on any of mine--yet.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline ML

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
I suggest newbies practicing squatting at home improving their balance in preparing for their first trip.

Another very important thing to remember to do . . . before:

Take out your billfold from back pocket of your trousers, and take out keys, coins, etc. from all pockets of your trousers.

If you don't, then . . .
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
Mendy..

I must have been lucky....have never encountered a Turkish toilet in Sochi !))
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »
My train story: I had encountered these toilets before in Taiwan and Korea but had never had to use them. So when I was in Moscow and taking the overnight train to St. Petersburg before high speed ones my friends brought me to the Leningradsky station and helped me place my luggage in the reserved compartment. Since it would be some time before it left they went on home and I was waiting in the station. I thought it was pretty modern and clean. Restaurant and bar plus clean shops.

But I soon realized I needed to go Number 2 if you know what I mean. I looked for toilet and quickly found it. It did not look promising. I decided to wait for train. It wasn't long before I realized I couldn't make it. Went back to dingy looking and very unpromising toilet. But there was a woman at the door collecting a fee. Now it looked better. After all if I have to pay it must be at least normal. It was just a few kopeks back then and I really had no choice.

In I went and it was a terrible blow. Absolutely filthy and nothing but holes in a raised tiled platform. I did have a cubicle with a locking door but nothing more. No toilet paper and only 1/2 a hook to hang a very heavy and long sheepskin coat. After making my coat was secure I added a should bag and arranged for my own supply of toilet paper from my bag. There was also some kind of liquid constantly running over the floor. I don't even want to know what it was. I started in and the whole while I was going there was a mouse running back and forth and around me feet. It was Winter and I had on heavy boots so no harm was done. No way to flush it. I was lucky and the rest of my life I managed to avoid these types of toilets

When I arrived in St. Pete I told my waiting Russian friend my story and he replied he had a worse one. Hard to believe. He said he was outside and had to go in the bushes. But he ended up realizing he had no toilet paper. So he had to use money.

Offline ML

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
But he ended up realizing he had no toilet paper. So he had to use money.

What worked best.  Dime, nickel, quarter or what ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »
I found my earlier posts about squat toilets on one horrendous trip, in two separate threads (edited for clarity):

My first bus trip in the FSU was from Kazan to Naberezhnye Chelny (230 km, just under four hours).  There was a stop about 2 1/2 hours in, and I needed to use "the facilities."  Being totally unused to squat toilets with no doors I changed my mind, and was able to hold on until I got to the "real" toilet in my apartment.

A few days later we took a bus trip to Izhevsk (again, about four hours).  We had a comfort stop at a place called Mozhga and I've honestly never seen anything so foul - two open holes in the ground, with mounds of excrement radiating outwards!  Only those who were incredibly desparate went near them.  I was dreading the return trip, but it was a different bus company which stopped at a cafe with a proper restroom - very nice!

My tip - always try to get rid of as much as possible before you leave your apartment.

Take some tp (ed: toilet paper) with you. Yes, it is available in stores, but two grivna doesn't buy you very much at a public toilet. I've yet to see any babushka hand out more than the equivalent of three squares. Ever.

I managed to grab a whole roll when one wasn't looking!  But otherwise I totally agree.  Even good quality toilet paper is very cheap (and there's nothing to stop you taking a roll or two from home, anyway).

My first trip was in 07 and I saw some. I've even used a couple while off the beaten path. I would take a dump in my pants before used one for that.

I know what you mean.  :o  I've posted a note about this particular coach trip before, but it bears repeating in this context...The male "facilities" there hardly even rated Stone Age - two holes dug in the concrete, out in the open, each surrounded by a huge pile of excrement (think the top of a volcano, with an ill-defined path to the lip of the crater, and you'll get the idea).  I took one look and bolted back to the bus.  By the time we got to Izhevsk I would have been ready to poop in the street if I had to, but luckily the toilets at the bus station there are top class.

This is one reason why I have subsequently recommended that you try to complete all "number twos" (or whatever you call it) in your apartment or hotel room before venturing out for the day.

...because you NEVER know what you're going to find!  :devil:  Well-known tourist spots should be fine (e.g. The Hermitage, Perchesk Lavra), but anywhere else may not be up to that standard.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »
What worked best.  Dime, nickel, quarter or what ?

British Pound I Believe.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »

Sometimes the person charging a fee to use the toilet will sell you toilet paper. I suspect toilet paper is scarce in bathrooms because people steal it and it's too expensive to be passing out for free. Like everything else, have a backup plan. I carry a few napkins in my pocket wherever I go in the FSU.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 11:06:11 PM »
The average toilet fee in Moscow is...

(see the new topic on Using the Toilet: http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=20992.msg435527#msg435527)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:22:32 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541274
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701