It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439575 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1775 on: April 02, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
Wife's parents live on a few acres just outside a small town west of Kyiv.

They have extensive garden, fruit trees, rabbits, chickens, etc.
They need nothing from stores.

Wife pleads with them every day to go no where and let no one into house.

Social security type money is hand delivered every month.
She told them to have person put that cash money on porch and not even open door.
Later to clean and put into one of the animal buildings.

Father's younger sister runs an animal supply, food and pharmacy in town, and goes every day and interacts with dozens.

Wife tells parents to not let that sister come anywhere near their house.  She lives a couple of blocks away.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1776 on: April 02, 2020, 02:05:09 PM »
Sorry to hear this, Steve.

If you do get the flight, IF, maybe best get tested first somehow?

That seems just as hard to do as getting a flight to Ukraine.  Two weeks ago I was sick with a sore throat and runny nose.  I didn't have a fever nor shortness of breath.  The symptoms started 5 days after returning from Frankfurt.  I tried twice to get tested and was denied. 

I will try again.  Maybe get my doctor to approve it somehow.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1777 on: April 02, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
I'm surprised Steve. I was under the impression if you had the symptoms classified in the guideline that you qualified to get tested.

I hope you get tested and make your trip. Good luck, man! Sorry about the job.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1778 on: April 02, 2020, 02:55:30 PM »
Thanks GQ.  Things at work were slowing down before the crisis - we lost a large engineering project at the beginning of the year. 

I still have full benefits, and I have enough resources to last quite a while.  If it happened sooner, I would have stayed with T and not returned to the US.  Oh well.

I just checked flights.  Two days ago I saw a TA flight from April 17 onwards.  Now it's gone.  The earliest flights start May 1.

There are a few crazy routes available from April 20, like an SAS flight that's 60 hours and connects in Copenhagen and Oslo, with overnight layovers in both cities.  Another was a 30 hour flight on Delta on April 24, connecting via Dallas and Amsterdam.

I will book the Turkish Airlines flight on May 1.   It's the only reasonable flight available for now.  Hopefully it won't get cancelled.

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1779 on: April 02, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
Due to lack of business and work, our company had to shut down and furlough everyone. 

If this happened a month ago I would be with T. 

I am exploring ways to get to Ukraine.  I saw Turkish Airlines have scheduled flights starting April 17.  I will book one and hope it doesn't get cancelled.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. If you buy flight and can't arrive in Ukraine, no free changes in dates.
Ukraine is in nationwide quarantine till April 24. There is talk of extending quarantine till May 15. Ukraine is expecting COVID-19 to peak april15-April 25
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1780 on: April 02, 2020, 04:02:46 PM »
Thanks GQ.  Things at work were slowing down before the crisis - we lost a large engineering project at the beginning of the year. 

I still have full benefits, and I have enough resources to last quite a while.  If it happened sooner, I would have stayed with T and not returned to the US.  Oh well.

Yeah...I'm starting to actually wonder if being in construction is a blessing for us since we haven't really missed a beat regarding work load. Then Monday came and found out someone tested positive at the Sofi Stadium project and had to convene with our crew to check all bases to make sure all is well on our end.

Is it really 'beneficial' for us to be 'out' there right now?

I just checked flights.  Two days ago I saw a TA flight from April 17 onwards.  Now it's gone.  The earliest flights start May 1.

There are a few crazy routes available from April 20, like an SAS flight that's 60 hours and connects in Copenhagen and Oslo, with overnight layovers in both cities.  Another was a 30 hour flight on Delta on April 24, connecting via Dallas and Amsterdam.

I will book the Turkish Airlines flight on May 1.   It's the only reasonable flight available for now.  Hopefully it won't get cancelled.

I've read a lot of your posts and you impressed me as someone with a good head on your shoulders. I know your decision process is properly wired. You know best. Just make sure you recognized your decision regarding your current situation is balanced and well deliberated. Tough situation to be in, for sure.

Whatever decision you follow, make hay and wish you the best!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:04:27 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1781 on: April 02, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »
I certainly wouldn't be going to Ukraine.

They are going to get hit harder than Italy and Spain . . . and will be less able to cope than either of those two countries.

I agree, it may not be a pretty sight when sh*t hits the fan there. All they've really got so far is that they are trailing behind us by a few weeks currently.

It's gone quiet on the medicine front at the moment and with all these people dieing in the west I guess they are not there yet.

Whether any medicine can come in, in time to help Ukraine I am doubtful. Even if some did come forward there is then the cost of it which Ukraine may struggle with.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1782 on: April 02, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
Father's younger sister runs an animal supply, food and pharmacy in town, and goes every day and interacts with dozens.

Wife tells parents to not let that sister come anywhere near their house.  She lives a couple of blocks away.

Indeed, I have thought for a while now that those doing front line jobs in Pharmacies and Supermarkets are taking huge risks. You think of the number of people they deal with each day, even with some effort to social distancing which varies it's got to still be very risky. Certainly not a risk I would be willing to take, it's too great a risk, I would rather be unemployed than do those jobs at this moment in time. Only Doctors & Nurses likely take more risk and other staff that work in hospitals.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1783 on: April 02, 2020, 06:17:42 PM »
I've got to say I think our real problem here in the UK could come at the end of this all. With the state stumping up 80 percent of income for the self employed and 80 percent of salaries for employees in companies to stop them being laid off not to mention all the lockdown economic damage I reckon there will be a big hit on the general population in any future budget to pay for it all.

At the moment the Chancellor is seen as a generous guy but next year he is going to have to find the money to pay for all the spend out now. Who exactly he is going to hit to do this is where the concern should be. I would be concerned that he would hit one group harder than others and that would likely be a big issue.

Meanwhile, I don't see much let up from the money lenders. Most seem to be going with the, 'you can have a repayment holiday but standard rate of interest still accumulates on your account' lol, typical money lenders still want their pound of flesh. Landlords are told they can't get rent out of their tenants if they say they can't/won't pay. Supermarkets and their suppliers have kept their prices low and as far as I know most Key Workers aren't demanding 'danger pay', but money lenders still want to charge. Fortunately as I found out tonight I am a Key Worker :D and still currently bringing the money in I can avoid such Interest charges at present at least. Still always some one who won't play ball.

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #1784 on: April 02, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
goats on the attack!!!
killer kazul!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1785 on: April 02, 2020, 07:09:28 PM »

Washington State Governor just spoke and he's extending his Stay at Home order to May 4. He also said there is a chance he may have to extend that.

There's talk about the government will soon recommend Americans to wear masks while going out. First they need to secure enough for the medical professionals.

FEMA is looking to secure 100,000 body bags. One bag had Krimster's name on it. He needs to get back to his compound and surround himself with women instead of going out and buying non essential items such as guns.

http://news.yahoo.com/fema-seeks-100-000-body-144932418.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1786 on: April 02, 2020, 08:26:23 PM »
Soon recommend? They already are. They’re convinced folks in asymptomatic state can actually spread the disease hence donning ‘facial covering when out in the public, emphasizing to avoid using face mask as they are slated for health personnel. It is undeniably the biggest risk of spreading the virus are people out there who doesn’t know they are carrying the disease.

LOL, they should start with 3M. The idiots would rather sell and ship those N95s to foreign governments than to Americans.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:28:50 PM by GQBlues »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1787 on: April 02, 2020, 08:40:37 PM »
LOL, they should start with 3M. The idiots would rather sell and ship those N95s to foreign governments than to Americans.

I heard Trump answering a reporters question today about American companies shipping supplies to Italy and a few other countries and Trump was okay with that because they already placed orders awhile back. Of course with enacting the Defense act Trump could cancel those orders but our allies would be hating America.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

« Reply #1788 on: April 02, 2020, 10:30:24 PM »
Let's say we do what Bill Gates recommend or even better yet, do what China did with a nationwide draconian style lockdown. Where would America be in a few months from now? Let's see where China says they're at after their lockdown. Also factor in they lie about their current situation

China allows 134 international flights into their nation per week for their own citizens to come back home. Tourism and the airline industry is hurting. Domestic flights and public transportation are probably hurting too.

Billy,

No matter how the situation is or is not in China.  The ONLY effective way we have to deal with this virus is a long period of isolation. Until the magic bullet is found that fact will not change. Here we're entering our second month of isolation, a true lockdown and not dilly-dallying around lockdown and it is working. Two out of three of the most densely populated areas did not follow with massive infections as in Lombardia with only 10 % of the cases as up north.  Despite the current mid-month ending of the lockdown, it will almost certainly be extended again.  Reinfections in HK and China is being watched closely and the exit strategy being planned with widespread testing not only for the virus but those with antibodies as well that can go back to work in relative safety.  This will take time.  Life will not go back to 'normal' for some time to come. Travel will still remain very restricted as well as border crossings. Masks and gloves and other lighter distancing measures such as one in, one out at stores are here to stay for the rest of the year to prevent flare up's and new waves of infection.  So much progress has been made that .gov is going to do whatever it takes to not drop the ball and have a do-over.

Where would Italy be if it had acted just one week earlier with a national lockdown?  About half the deaths and infections we have now.

As for the subject of this thread, all I can suggest is to prepare for the long haul in your homes to prevent the new enemy called fear, desperation and chaos from entering the front door.  Get to know your neighbours, ask how they are doing and start helping each other out if needed.  Find a family project to keep boredom and lethargy from eating you up. Establish a new family routine in your home and stick to it so everyone feels involved and productive. Most importantly have a family meeting and let them know that isolation is going to be a bit tough emotionally, that family flare-ups will happen, that such is normal and expected under the circumstances and that you'll have to work together to get over the little humps and bumps in the road together.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1789 on: April 02, 2020, 11:21:22 PM »
Oh dear,

Trench revisionist history, strikes again

Yes but most of today's 'Welsh' people are actually English who came across the border in the 1800's & early 1900's when coal mining went big.

This has b'all to do with the virus ...  Suggest you add Anthropology to your list of 'must do better'

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1790 on: April 02, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
Oh dear,

Trench revisionist history, strikes again

This has b'all to do with the virus ...  Suggest you add Anthropology to your list of 'must do better'

Only because you can't stand being wrong, lol.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #1791 on: April 03, 2020, 03:26:16 AM »
Due to lack of business and work, our company had to shut down and furlough everyone. 

If this happened a month ago I would be with T. 

I am exploring ways to get to Ukraine.  I saw Turkish Airlines have scheduled flights starting April 17.  I will book one and hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Ukraine is closed to foreigners until April 24. And no regular flights in are allowed.  (and from how things are going, that will be extended)

Now you have a spouse there so you qualify to get the exception, have you talked to the embassy about it?
If you manage to find a flight and just show up in the airport, you wont be allowed to enter.
But I doubt Turkish will fly in there on the 17th with the restrictions in place....

edit. I saw now the May 1, but I really don't think the country will be open by then. Unofficials say they could be closed down to end of June.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:30:49 AM by Nightwish »
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1792 on: April 03, 2020, 03:48:09 AM »
Steve,

It sucks how this all evolved and how partners are separated by oceans

ALL I can offer in a 'positive'.. even if you had been dating someone in the next street ... in most nations you'd be 'forbidden' from approaching closer than 2m and still having to rely on video chat ((

Can you imagine, there are folks out there in internet land who'd say you, nightwish , I ( and others ) were 'fools' not to ensure our loved ones are with us ...?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1793 on: April 03, 2020, 04:01:54 AM »
http://banned.video/watch?id=5e8594c54392020055e38fac

Boe, I think you have an open mind. Please watch it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:06:41 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1794 on: April 03, 2020, 06:14:48 AM »
I heard Trump answering a reporters question today about American companies shipping supplies to Italy and a few other countries and Trump was okay with that because they already placed orders awhile back. Of course with enacting the Defense act Trump could cancel those orders but our allies would be hating America.

Allies?!? 😂  they were out there offering cash at higher prices to get it. Akin to grabbing your life support to keep themselves from drowning.

Anyway, at the beginning of this thread, I recall you were being mocked for suggesting wearing a face mask. Now that it’s apparent it’s use is advisable - cricket time.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:17:35 AM by GQBlues »

Offline msmob

« Reply #1795 on: April 03, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »
Allies?!? 😂  they were out there offering cash at higher prices to get it. Akin to grabbing your life support to keep themselves from drowning.

Anyway, at the beginning of this thread, I recall you were being mocked for suggesting wearing a face mask. Now that it’s apparent it’s use is advisable - cricket time.

I also suggested wearing a mask is pretty pointless - if you're a member of the public, shopping ...

Surgical masks ..within 6 mins are useless ..if your authorities tell you that you've got to wear one, you've not got much choice .. but it's DUMB

OK, got a filter mask .. 'Great' ..you can succumb to asphyxiation.. :wallbash:

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #1796 on: April 03, 2020, 06:52:44 AM »
I also suggested wearing a mask is pretty pointless - if you're a member of the public, shopping ...

Surgical masks ..within 6 mins are useless ..if your authorities tell you that you've got to wear one, you've not got much choice .. but it's DUMB

OK, got a filter mask .. 'Great' ..you can succumb to asphyxiation.. :wallbash:

The mask is not to protect you from being infected it's to protect others, same way as primarily Asian people have been using them for decades.

Mask on - you limit the amount of virus being transmitted from you in case you have the virus
Mask off - You are a egoistic f*ckhead

so take your 6 minutes and shove them where the sun don't shine - you are the dumb one that can't digest facts
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1797 on: April 03, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »
I've been reading some accounting of people that have had the virus and are not old, like 40-50 year olds.  It has sounded horrid, and many have wound up in the hospital and seemingly near death, if not for the hospital stay.  It is concerning because as an individual you don't really know if that will be you or 'somebody else'. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline msmob

« Reply #1798 on: April 03, 2020, 07:18:50 AM »
The mask is not to protect you from being infected it's to protect others, same way as primarily Asian people have been using them for decades.

Mask on - you limit the amount of virus being transmitted from you in case you have the virus
Mask off - You are a egoistic f*ckhead

so take your 6 minutes and shove them where the sun don't shine - you are the dumb one that can't digest facts

Sighs

IF you wear a mask ( surgical)  it is useless within six mins as your breath makes it damp and they simply DO NOT stop the aerosol transmission / reception of droplets as they are not 'sealed'  ... so unless you are ordered to wear one, it is not a question of 'ego' ..rather daftness

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1799 on: April 03, 2020, 07:27:04 AM »
Anyway, at the beginning of this thread, I recall you were being mocked for suggesting wearing a face mask. Now that it’s apparent it’s use is advisable - cricket
time.

Yes that did happen because people believed what the government and experts told them. They didn't realize they were told certain things so the general public wouldn't hoard the masks.

The mask is not to protect you from being infected it's to protect others,

That is what the government and experts is telling us now but it will change. Taiwan and South Korea had success keeping the number of infected low because everybody wears masks. It not only helps keep people from spreading it, it helps people from getting the virus. That's why healthy hospital workers wear them.

Problem is it's uncomfortable. People will then make mistakes and adjust their mask often and they touch their face with their hands which may have the virus on them. Also the mask may have the virus on it and if touched by the hands, the virus will jump to the hands and then onto doorknobs everybody else will touch.

IF you wear a mask ( surgical)  it is useless within six mins as your breath makes it damp and they simply DO NOT stop the aerosol transmission / reception of droplets as they are not 'sealed'  ... so unless you are ordered to wear one, it is not a question of 'ego' ..rather daftness

It's not useless. Some protection is always better than no protection. I still haven't wore a mask since this crisis started but my wife wears a 3M N95 mask when she goes shopping.

I've been reading some accounting of people that have had the virus and are not old, like 40-50 year olds.  It has sounded horrid, and many have wound up in the hospital and seemingly near death, if not for the hospital stay.  It is concerning because as an individual you don't really know if that will be you or 'somebody else'. 

Eventually this virus may make enough rounds to where everybody in the world gets it. Can't count on a vaccine to be developed so it's important for governments to limit the spread over time so hospitals aren't overloaded. Overloaded hospitals have higher rates of death because they won't have ventilators for everybody.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1873
Total: 1884

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM