It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Girl wants to visit me in US. Whats next?  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Some_Guy

Girl wants to visit me in US. Whats next?
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
Hey all I am a long time lurker looking for some advice.

I have always had a thing for girls from the FSU. The girls I have dated from the FSU in the states (although a bit more Americanized) have always been my favorite. About a year and a half ago I figured I would go straight to the source and started taking some Russian language lessons.

I would speak with girls on VK and Skype to practice my Russian and many times help them with English. One girl in particular caught my interest and we soon began speaking regularly. Usually 3-4 times a week for ~4 hours each time.

After about a year of communicating I decided I wanted to go and see her. She lives in Vologda but we decided to meet in St Petersburg since it would be easier. I met her and some of her family the first two days and we spent the next 10 days together in an apartment I rented. Needless to day I had so much fun with her and started thinking a bit more serious about the possibility of us together.

The next logical step is for her to come visit me to see my life and see if she enjoys America. She has done research and is very worried she will be denied a B2 tourist visa. She has a job and all her family is in Russia. I think this would be enough evidence for the US to believe she will return to Russia. She is planning on coming next spring for 10 days in April or May.

We have no current plans to get married, although the topic has come up. We are fairly young I am 23, she is 20. This trip is only for her to see America and see if she would enjoy living here in the possible future.

My question for any of you is:
Have you had any troubles bringing a girl over on a b2 tourist visa?
If I write an invitation letter, will this better my chances?

Thanks for all your help.

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Girl wants to visit me in US. Whats next?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
It will be easier for her as a Russian versus a Ukrainian woman. She is younger which may hurt chances a bit but tourist VISA's are not as hard to get these days.

Offline Some_Guy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 08:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply Alex,

I have done as much research as I can but it seems as though they can and will deny for anything. Its all up in the air. The only negative points I can think of is she is young.

Would an invitation letter better her chances?

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply Alex,

I have done as much research as I can but it seems as though they can and will deny for anything. Its all up in the air. The only negative points I can think of is she is young.

Would an invitation letter better her chances?

Don't count on it. Especially given current diplomatic situations with Russia. It's certainly possible but unless she can meet the requirements on her own and then it's only 50/50. In the last 3-4 years there was a good chance of it happening now, I'd wager it's a waste of application fees. Plan on returning to visit her and focus time and resources on a K-1 where your chances are much better. Given her age I'd say a student visa would greatly improve over a tourist visa but that's only a guess. Good Luck

Offline Some_Guy

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »
Don't count on it. Especially given current diplomatic situations with Russia. It's certainly possible but unless she can meet the requirements on her own and then it's only 50/50. In the last 3-4 years there was a good chance of it happening now, I'd wager it's a waste of application fees. Plan on returning to visit her and focus time and resources on a K-1 where your chances are much better. Given her age I'd say a student visa would greatly improve over a tourist visa but that's only a guess. Good Luck

Shoot I was afraid of that. Unfortunately there is not many posts about visa information since the political troubles began.

She is financially stable and insisted on paying for her itinerary over here without me asking.

I am planning on visiting again sometime next year (when my work allows me to take off another two weeks  :P). I think we will try for the b2 visa and see what happens. If she is denied perhaps we will try the k1 route.

Thanks for all your help and replies.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:51 AM »
Shoot I was afraid of that. Unfortunately there is not many posts about visa information since the political troubles began.

She is financially stable and insisted on paying for her itinerary over here without me asking.

I am planning on visiting again sometime next year (when my work allows me to take off another two weeks  :P). I think we will try for the b2 visa and see what happens. If she is denied perhaps we will try the k1 route.

Thanks for all your help and replies.

Don't take that as the holy grail by any means. I've been surprised before. Back when I made my first trip to Russia the idea of a single Russian or Ukrainian women obtaining a tourist visa was about 1 in 100 and that was all 100 meeting the qualifications. Then all of the sudden most that met the qualifications were given visas. Visas while they have the face of Homeland security is a product of the State Department where everything hinges on politics. It does matter.

I say that to say this; if you/she has the money, time and resources go ahead and apply. According to recent history, they would have no reason to deny her. I think the cost is about $600 IIRC each time you apply and you may have to apply 3-4 times before she gets accepted or outright rejected and told not to apply for an extended period.

AFAIK being denied a tourist visa has no effect or bearing on a fiance visa should you decide to petition for one of those. Both could be a lengthy process. I would suggest to get the ball rolling which ever you chose and in the interim, plan trips to visit her. While you still can

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:57:17 AM »
If I write an invitation letter, will this better my chances?

That would hurt your chances. A tourist visa is designed to bring tourist and their money into America, not for singles to get hooked up and possibly violate the visa. The person who makes the decision pertaining to the visa at the interview doesn't want to be known as the person who makes a lot of bad decisions. It's bad for job security.

I think we will try for the b2 visa and see what happens. If she is denied perhaps we will try the k1 route.

Keep us posted if it works out. Your lady might be one of the lucky ones.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Some_Guy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:19:34 PM »
$600 for a chance at the tourist visa does not seem bad. We are still in the early stages of planning her trip but I like to have most things planned out before taking action. I will be visiting her in Vologda next year after it warms up a bit. As I said before, I think it is important for her to visit me at least once before we take anything much more serious. She has told me if she wants to be with me it does not matter where she lives. I still would like her to visit me so she can become a little familiar with the states and daily life.

That would hurt your chances. A tourist visa is designed to bring tourist and their money into America, not for singles to get hooked up and possibly violate the visa. The person who makes the decision pertaining to the visa at the interview doesn't want to be known as the person who makes a lot of bad decisions. It's bad for job security.

Keep us posted if it works out. Your lady might be one of the lucky ones.

Ah .. that actually makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Her work does some international business, but only in Europe. Maybe there is a way to spin her story into possibly doing business in America. Again, with the political problems this may be a moot point.

I will speak with her about all the information you guys have given me. She is currently working getting her international passport which we need before we take any other action.

Thanks again all!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
$600 for a chance at the tourist visa does not seem bad.

Where did you get that info from? Are you sending $600 to her? $160 should be the cost unless you want to cover the cost of traveling, hotel and meals when she goes to do her interview.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 03:43:26 AM »
Just received third B1 B2 visa for my wife.

As usual had the pile of documents all in order and tabbed.

The only documents they looked at were:

Her current bank account statement/balance and tax returns

The rest of the questions were quite normal, such as where are you going what will you see etc etc.

It has always boiled down to enough money to support the trip and stable employment along with ties to 'home'.

A Ukrainian girl we were talking with while waiting said she wanted to visit her sister and planned to stay 6 months.  Her sister was paying for the trip.  We did not stick around but highly doubt she got the visa.

Skimmed through this thread but think the woman involved has a decent chance to get a visa.

Take any thing showing long term employment, last couple years tax returns and maybe letter from employer granting her vacation time for the trip.

Take documents showing she has money to support the trip.  Bank account statements, credit card statements etc

Take any documents showing ties to the homeland such as property deeds, employment info etc  the more the better.

Have a decent tourist type itinerary worked out.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »
It might be early for you to worry.

When my wife's daughter applied she owned no real-estate, no car, mediocre job but had traveled in Europe a few times. She did tell them her mother lived here and had a green card. She was hoping for a 1 year visa and they gave her 3 year.

Once you do get a visa and go and then return on time you are usually gold for the future.

I suspect a Schengen visa might help her but maybe others here know more about that.

Offline Some_Guy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
Hey all spoke with my girl and her Mother actually came up with a great idea. They would both apply for a tourist visa together, although the mother would not actually be leaving.

Her mom has property, a job, and 5 children. So I would think this would be the best option we have. Would you guys agree?

Offline Drew

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »
Makes no sense at all.

Offline alex330

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 09:11:08 PM »
It may help. I met a older woman from Ukraine at an event here once who had two younger women in tow. They were here to meet guys and the older lady was the chaperone. She had assets and her finances were in order so that have helped the image when applying. Hard to give definites in this though.

Offline Some_Guy

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 09:12:55 PM »
Makes no sense at all.

Why would this make no sense at all? From doing research it seems like her chances are fairly abysmal as of current. Anything to help her chances sounds fine to me.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »
Why would this make no sense at all? From doing research it seems like her chances are fairly abysmal as of current. Anything to help her chances sounds fine to me.

It's not us that has to be convinced. The USCIS has their own rigid requirements. My guess is, if she is of age that she won't be able to coattail on the babuska. But, that is only a guess

Offline BillyB

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
Hey all spoke with my girl and her Mother actually came up with a great idea. They would both apply for a tourist visa together, although the mother would not actually be leaving.

Her mom has property, a job, and 5 children. So I would think this would be the best option we have. Would you guys agree?

The cost of the visa is going to double but will it double the chances of your lady getting a visa? I doubt it. Your gal is not a child and will most likely have her own interview separate from mother. If you got the money, give it a shot. An interviewer for your gal may believe it's a family vacation that a loaded parent is going to pay for.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
Faux Pas & Billy are correct. Because she is of age......tagging along with her Mother will have no effect on "her" visa application. There is nothing keeping her in Russia (family is not a reason......she does not own a flat, car, not leaving children at home etc. They look for possessions that tie you down. Job & family are not reason enough. I would go for the K-1.....you don't have to get married.....and you can apply again.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline Shadow

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 04:07:38 AM »
It will not increase her chances, may even be contrary.
As she is getting her international passport it seems clear she has not left Russia before. That means this will be the first application.
Do not try to help her by giving invitations or sponsoring, her best chance is a pure tourist trip for which she pays by her own means, which should not be sent by you.

As for if that will be accepted or not, depends on her ability to convince she is truly going on a tourist trip. Any intention of meeting a possible future husband will be seen as a reason for denial.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541335
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701