It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)  (Read 304538 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »

OUTSIDE CHINA:

Deaths v infected 11 / 1402  less than 1 percent

CHINA

2348 / 77794  3 percent

These figures are based over a long time and become more realistic with every day - in percentile terms )

Apples and oranges.

Those who die did not die quickly, and instead succumb after a week or more from first becoming ill.   The cases of infection outside China are newer than Wuhan, and as such fewer deaths would be expected. 

Its complicated, many factors are at play, and its early.  Any conclusions are premature.  WHO is not making any conclusions about the trajectory of the virulence, much less fatality, etc.       

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »

Deaths v infected 11 / 1402  less than 1 percent

CHINA

2348 / 77794  3 percent

Survival rate isn't deaths v infected, it's deaths v recovered. For some reason you and many journalists out there just lumped tens of thousands of people who are currently infected into the recovery camp and try to tell everybody it's not much worse than the common flu. It would be like me trying to lump all the infected into dead camp to show everybody how deadly this virus is. You don't know if those infected will remain alive or dead after their battle with the virus. I keep telling you that but you don't get it. If you currently are battling lung cancer, do you lump yourself into the lung cancer survivor category or the lump you into the group of people who lost the battle with lung cancer? You won't know until the battle is over. Over 77k people worldwide is infected with the virus but you already lumped them into the survivor category to fit your narrative that there is a high survival rate. Fake news.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
More Silly BillyB obfuscation ..

Survival rate isn't deaths v infected, it's deaths v recovered. For some reason you and many journalists out there just lumped tens of thousands of people who are currently infected into the recovery camp and try to tell everybody it's not much worse than the common flu. It would be like me trying to lump all the infected into dead camp to show everybody how deadly this virus is. You don't know if those infected will remain alive or dead after their battle with the virus. I keep telling you that but you don't get it. If you currently are battling lung cancer, do you lump yourself into the lung cancer survivor category or the lump you into the group of people who lost the battle with lung cancer? You won't know until the battle is over. Over 77k people worldwide is infected with the virus but you already lumped them into the survivor category to fit your narrative that there is a high survival rate. Fake news.

'Fake news' is what you've been suggesting re wacko theories as to the origin of the outbreak

How many days has WHO been publishing figures?

Is the death rate percentage constant? ... YES

Offline Gator

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2020, 05:03:45 PM »
My wife and I are planning a travel holiday this spring.  I really like Hawaii,  yet I had this nagging concern that if COVID 19 continued to spread, Hawaii would likely become a "hot spot"  due to much of its tourism originating from Asia.  I would not fear becoming ill as much as getting caught up in travel bans and other quarantine measures.   

So we talked about Europe.  Today, I read the news,  "Italy says coronavirus cases spiked from three to 132 in matter of days; largest outbreak outside of Asia."  I understand travel restrictions are being considered. 

Our travel holiday planning is now on hold.  First time in my life this has happened.  Hopefully, the world's health organizations turn the corner soon on this serious virus.   If not, we will be hit far harder than travel restrictions  - namely the economy. 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »
My wife and I are planning a travel holiday this spring.  I really like Hawaii,  yet I had this nagging concern that if COVID 19 continued to spread, Hawaii would likely become a "hot spot"  due to much of its tourism originating from Asia.  I would not fear becoming ill as much as getting caught up in travel bans and other quarantine measures.   

Most Asians visit Honolulu and Waikiki. Go to a resort to avoid most Asians. For your vacation, choose a location that is hot. The virus doesn't survive very long when exposed to heat and sun so less chance for people living in hot climates to get infected. I just flew on airplanes a few weeks ago. Less than 5 people wore masks at each of the 4 different American airports I've walked through. At this time, you still have a better chance to win the lottery than get the virus in America.

Our travel holiday planning is now on hold.  First time in my life this has happened. 

Have you ever thought about vacationing in Florida? You get to stay home, avoid the virus elsewhere, and have your vacation too. Win win.

Hopefully, the world's health organizations turn the corner soon on this serious virus.   

WHO has been asking nations to step up their participation. WHO says not enough is being done. WHO doesn't want to criticize China but an expert said there is massive under reporting of deaths and infections in China. Why would China lock down hundreds of millions of people and shut down 90% of their economy to save a few lives? They are trying to save a lot more than a few lives.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2020, 02:16:23 AM »
Gator,

I'm off to Georgia, (Maxx' Georgia) and Turkey ..

The thought of being stuck out there is not comforting - but bus lif must go on ..

SC is in Thailand - and so far she is not threatened with being quarantined on her return

Your govt has been rather better in re-repatriating trapped guests on Cruise liners than - say - the Brits

You are a US Citizen .. You live in Florida - do you need a Beach holiday ?   What about Alaska ?;))

Offline Gator

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2020, 06:50:58 AM »

You are a US Citizen .. You live in Florida - do you need a Beach holiday ?   What about Alaska ?;))

Hawaii is more than beaches, much more. 

Living in Florida, more than an hour on the beach becomes tedious.  There is much to see in Florida; however, we have already seen it all including the off-the-beaten-path sites, e. g. Frank Lloyd Wright's one and only designed college campus and a rattlesnake festival (where tattoos outnumber teeth  :D).

Alaska is similar to Russia except for the coast.     

Offline Gator

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2020, 06:59:46 AM »
The outbreak in Italy has occurred in several small towns in the Milan area, but not in Milan itself.  Health officials have yet to identify "patient zero."   Inexplicable.  Worse, such pattern has the makings of a pandemic!!!!

RWD's Sandro resides in Milan.  We wish the best for him and his city-county neighbors.    Maybe Sandro has some info.  I understand Milan schools have been closed. 

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2020, 08:44:28 AM »
RWD's Sandro resides in Milan.  We wish the best for him and his city-county neighbors.
Thanks for your concern, no alarms until a few days ago :(.
Maybe Sandro has some info.  I understand Milan schools have been closed
For a week initially as a precaution, also other places where many people congregate like cinemas, theatres, museums, discoes, etc. This is also our Carnival week, and the worst hit financially will be Venice.

IINM only 3 fatal victims so far, including a woman already in hospital for a cancer, but what is more worrying is that the number of infected people is on the rise (200+, blue pins below). All cases, except the the fatality near Padua at right, involved trips to China.

The most affected areas (red pins above) have been cordoned off, no access or departures allowed. Additional military barracks are being prepared to receive quarantined persons.

Superstition maintains that a leap year brings bad luck, let's hope it's not too true for 2020 :-\.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Gator

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2020, 08:57:09 AM »
All cases, except the the fatality near Padua at right, involved trips to China.

Thanks for the information.  Our news had not made the  connection with China travel.     

Wash those hands!   

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2020, 10:07:20 AM »
Wash those hands!
I usually do :D.

Our bad luck was that 3 people went to a hospital complaining of breathing difficulties BEFORE anything was known about the Chinese epidemic. Most infected are from the staff and patients of those hospitals :(.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ML

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
Hawaii is more than beaches, much more. 

Living in Florida, more than an hour on the beach becomes tedious.  There is much to see in Florida; however, we have already seen it all including the off-the-beaten-path sites, e. g. Frank Lloyd Wright's one and only designed college campus and a rattlesnake festival (where tattoos outnumber teeth  :D).

Alaska is similar to Russia except for the coast.     

Phil, I can highly recommend to you the trip that Ochka and I took in May 2014.
We flew to Denver.  Rented a 28' RV from Cruise America for 28 days.
Drove to and visited, in order:
Colorado Springs, Santa Fe, Taos, (desolate drive across northern Arizona),Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Sequoia, Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, (desolate drive across central Nevada on 50 and down 93), Zion Nat'l Park, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Canyonland, Arches Nat'l Park, Golden, Denver.

The May timing meant we beat most of the heavy tourist season.  Was a little chilly in some place, and we hit LA when they experienced very unusual 100 degree temperatures for a few days.

The big advantage of this trip was that Ochka got to see more in 28 days than typically possible.
Disadvantage was we couldn't stay in any one place very long, even if we wanted to.
But of course, can always go back to a particular place later for a more extended visit.

A very big advantage for those of us of a certain age.  The toilet for peeing is always there.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Gator

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

Our bad luck was that 3 people went to a hospital complaining of breathing difficulties BEFORE anything was known about the Chinese epidemic. Most infected are from the staff and patients of those hospitals :(.

Hospital or hospitals?  The latter would explain the wide spread, yet all within commuting distance of  hospitals. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
ML, that was a heck of a trip.  It is like a lifetime of travel in 28 days.

Galina likes the West.  On four separate trips we have visited Colorado Rocky Mountains, Santa Fe, San Francisco and SoCal-LV.   

We were thinking about a long motor trip in the northern Rockies looking for a possible summer home.   

Offline ML

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
We were thinking about a long motor trip in the northern Rockies looking for a possible summer home.

Give some thought to northern Michigan for great summer living.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
Hospital or hospitals?  The latter would explain the wide spread, yet all within commuting distance of  hospitals.
2 hospitals, 1 in Milan and 1 south of it.

I went to my usual supermarket a couple of hours ago: crowded by too many people buying too much stuff, as if preparing for a long siege :(.  Maybe a panic reaction to the bad news this last Sunday.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »
RWD's Sandro resides in Milan.  We wish the best for him and his city-county neighbors.   

Disaster has struck Milan. Nobody is allowed to attend the Armani fashion show but the show will go on.

http://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/milan-fashion-week-carries-amid-172557268.html

Some experts say to start buying food that can last up to a 60 day quarantine in case the virus comes to your neighborhood. Better to do it sooner than later when panic happens and food lines are long.

Offline BillyB

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »

Give some thought to northern Michigan for great summer living.

Nah...look into Lake Tahoe on Nevada side instead.

http://www.visitrenotahoe.com/discover-reno-tahoe/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:57:58 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
Some experts say to start buying food that can last up to a 60 day quarantine in case the virus comes to your neighborhood. Better to do it sooner than later when panic happens and food lines are long.
I wonder who your "experts" are :-\.

Corona has an incubation period from initial contagion of about 2 weeks, which is also the current quarantine period. After that, one is either dismissed as several already have, or retained to prevent further spreading and monitor developments: there have also been many cases of infected people showing spontaneous remissions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:31:54 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
I wonder who your "experts" are :-\.

Corona has an incubation period from initial contagion of about 2 weeks, which is also the current quarantine period. After that, one is either dismissed as several already have, or retained to prevent further spreading and monitor developments: there have also been many cases of infected people showing spontaneous remissions.

No need for experts, just common sense. People who are suspected or actually infected get quarantined by governments a minimum 30 days. If your entire city is quarantined, your city will be quarantined longer than 30 days. Those people infected or suspected of being infected aren't all going to be discovered at the same time and discharged at the same time at the end of 30 days with your city announcing it's free of the virus. After some people are found to be infected, two weeks later some the people they infected will be discovered and two weeks later more people will be discovered. Stocking your home with 60 days food is not unreasonable. Stock it with less, you'll be forced to go out more often to buy more food interacting with other people.

If you want an expert giving advice to stock up with 60 days food, here's one who has a PhD and expert on infectious diseases.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2020, 10:04:32 PM »

odd, id be ,ore concered about  illness than quarantine    there seems to be a genuine risk of illness popping up almost anywhere
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2020, 10:42:57 PM »

South Korea reports 893 people infected. North Korea doesn't have anybody infected yet they are quarantining new visitors for 30 days. I suggest making your next vacation to North Korea, the safest place on earth because viruses and other bad things don't like to cross that border. Go cheap, schedule for a short visit and North Korea will upgrade you to a 30 day virus free vacation with free room and board.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-reportedly-quarantines-380-foreigners-in-bid-to-prevent-coronavirus-outbreak/ar-BB10jFC7?ocid=spartanntp#image=BBZaM5o|3

Offline Gator

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2020, 09:44:20 PM »
The US has a limited capacity to test for COVID-19. 

"South Korea, the site of the worst outbreak outside of China, has run more than 35,000 coronavirus tests. The United States has tested just 426 people for the virus, not including people who have returned to the country on evacuation flights."

http://www.jubakpicks.com/market-decides-coronavirus-outbreak-is-no-time-for-a-bounce/

Many of CDC test kits sent out 2 weeks ago contained expired chemicals and could not be used.  A new testing method is to be piloted later this week in 5 cities, yet CDC has not firmly committed to the time schedule. 

Meanwhile few people tested as having the flu can be tested for COVID-19. The symptoms manifested for COVID-19 mirror some symptoms of normal flu - fever, cough and breathing problems.  Unless the person recently traveled to China or had been in contact with an infected person, the COVID-test is not performed.     

We should expect the disease to spread more in the US.   Hence, the concern about the global economy and the US economy is real. 

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2020, 09:57:42 PM »
it's a good thing Trump cut the CDC and NIH, you wouldn't want the deep state involved in any of this, now would ya?
buncha damned socialists, all these gummit people

it's actually going to be far worse than what you think

there's NEVER going to be a vaccine for this
there is no anti-viral that works on this, yet...

eventually, most of us are going to be infected
and 1-2% of us will die
and then...
the financial fallout is going to get steeper
the bond market will be next...
it could get as bad as 2007 later this year....

and I am SO relieved that we have the greatest president in the history of the universe now!!!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:05:56 PM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1952
Total: 1961

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM