It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Sponsoring wife in Canada  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Romeo

Sponsoring wife in Canada
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
Hi all:

I finally married my russian girlfriend.  We started off with a visitor visa to Canada, then got a visa extension and now currently want to sponsor her for landed status.  I have a general idea of the various steps to take to complete the application from the official website.  But I was wondering if those experienced guys who already went through this process can provide some input/insight.  If possible please tell me the steps you took but most importantly, please indicate pitfalls, tips, what not to do, what important things should be included in the application that is not indicated on the website, etc.

Just a few details, I met her online in Jan 2013, we met in Europe in May 2013, she came as a visitor to Canada in July 2013, we got married in Jan 2014, and just recently extended her visitor visa till July 2014.  In the intervening time till July we will apply for spousal sponsorship.  We plan an inland application because she is Russian and on the website processing times it seems the total time for Russian outland application is longer than in inland application.  At the same time as the spousal application we will also apply for a work permit.  If you want any other info, let me know.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggests.

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Sponsoring wife in Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
If you do the inland application, expect a LOOOOOOONG wait. We were lucky, it took 7 or 8 months for my wife to get her status, but I have a friend who is going through the process and close to two years later they are still waiting  :-X  The main thing will be getting decent medical insurance and of course she won't be able to work, but minor things in the bigger scheme of things.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
Ok thanks, we will probably do the inland application.  But did you include any kind cover letter explaining the whole story of how you met etc?

Offline Misha

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
Ok thanks, we will probably do the inland application.  But did you include any kind cover letter explaining the whole story of how you met etc?

It has been a number of years since we submitted my wife's paperwork, but yes, we submitted a very detailed set of documents that detailed how we met, how we married, how much time we had been together, places we had travelled to together and much other info to prove that we were a legitimate couple.

Offline TBear

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
I have heard so many horror stories about Canada immigration making even visitor visas nearly impossible. I'm glad it isn't quite so bad as I had heard. How did your application process for that go?

Offline rockford75

• Married And Loving it!!!
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 07:53:41 AM »
Hello Romeo,

Iam currently sponsoring my wife to Canada we got married in Moscow on November 2012. I submitted our papers in June 2013. Im on my 10th month of waiting. I used a lawyer from the very beginning yes it costs money. But in the end it saves you time and money  as your papers will be filled out correctly. Now lots of members on here will argue you dont need a lawyer blah blah blah. But honestly I wouldn't take on this task with out one. But since your wife is already in Canada first thing id do is get her Visa renewed as I know you wont have her sponsored by July when her Visa runs out.

So make sure you have lots of time on that. My Lawyer says it takes 6 months to a year for a sponsorship app from Russia. But lots has changed since June 2013 now we have the Ukraine crisis and the on set of whats looking like a new cold war. Now I hope the Canadian Government doesn't make it personal against a guy trying to bring his wife from Russia,but one never knows. Now since your in Canada maybe your App would be faster since shes already here. i do know on the App they will ask a ton of questions about her. Mostly about her family how you met?Why you married? You will also have to submit a detailed Relationship letter explaining the whole story of how you met? Who asked whom to Marry?

Where have you traveled together? So Id start writing that now as youll be surprised how much you have forgotten. I personally found that part hard to do as they have lots of questions that have to be answered and they all have to be included in your relationship letter. As for a lawyer? well you may not need one being she already here in Canada. My wife still in Russia so I had to do my App from Canada and send to the embassy in Moscow.  In your case Id at least get legal advise I highly recommend this lawyer http://www.matthewjeffery.com/ If you have any more questions just ask. Good Luck to you and your lady.

Offline Fashionista

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »
I remember it really helped me at the interview to have copies of mail/email exchange, photographs, tickets of vacations together etc to prove that our relationship was real. So start putting those in a shoe box :)

As for the lawyer, we did it without a lawyer. I asked my husband to be sure, as he was the one doing most of the work, and he says that he doesn't really know how a lawyer can help fill out personal information on application forms, sign dotted lines and mail them to the address indicated in the guide. Maybe he does the mailing. Admittedly, that was more than 10 years ago.  My understanding is you don't need a lawyer, but if you want to use one, they will not decline service.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:01:46 AM by Fashionista »
Find your inner Bart!

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »
I remember it really helped me at the interview to have copies of mail/email exchange, photographs, tickets of vacations together etc to prove that our relationship was real. So start putting those in a shoe box :)

As for the lawyer, we did it without a lawyer. I asked my husband to be sure, as he was the one doing most of the work, and he says that he doesn't really know how a lawyer can help fill out personal information on application forms, sign dotted lines and mail them to the address indicated in the guide. Maybe he does the mailing. Admittedly, that was more than 10 years ago.  My understanding is you don't need a lawyer, but if you want to use one, they will not decline service.

That is certainly the case for the U.S. k-1/visas. There is nothing a lawyer can do for you that you can't do for yourself in the process. In fact a lawyer is likely to cause more delays in getting it processed mainly because, you have to gather everything in the way of information he needs to complete the package anyway.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
But in the end it saves you time and money  as your papers will be filled out correctly.

This is pretty funny.

Have you never heard:  "If you want something done correctly . . . do it yourself."

No one, except your mother (maybe), will take as much care to do something correctly for you, as you will for yourself.

Lawyers don't even fill out the papers.  They just turn everything over to their helpers who are probably having a bad hair day, or worrying about an unplanned pregnancy, or thinking about who is going to take care of the child tomorrow.

I only use lawyers when forced to.  i.e. In some states only a lawyer can draw up certain documents.  Then, I have to find all the mistakes the lawyer made in the documents, send them the corrected version, check their second attempt, point out where they never made the corrections I already told them about, then make special trips to get the documents and mail them as usually the deadlines are getting near now . . . and then pay them for the work that I myself have actually done.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541401
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3097
Most Online Ever: 12701