It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: FOR HISTORY BUFFS  (Read 118574 times)

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
We are quite used to new archaeological discoveries in Rome - one of the many reasons they never seem to finish their underground system :D - but they are much rarer here in Milan.

Recently a leaking roof in our Arcivescovado (Archbishopric) - originally built in the XIInd century next to our then still unerected Duomo Cathedral - caused water infiltrations to remove part of the wall plaster, revealing an astounding cycle of frescoes:

Since Giotto was in Milan at that time, the frescoes may be his work or, more probably, the work of local painters influenced by his style.

The central figure is presumably Archbishop Giovanni Visconti's (1290 ca – 1354), brother of Milan's Duke Luchino Visconti - the film director of the same name being one of their last descendants. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:51:14 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2018, 04:43:02 PM »
http://artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=11&int_new=104553#.WwNY3sgh1sb

Two 'new' Rembrandts.

From the article.

AMSTERDAM.- Two newly rediscovered paintings began a special visit to The Rembrandt House Museum on May 9th. Rembrandt’s Portrait of Petronella Buys (1635) and Man with a Sword (c. 1640-44), painted by Rembrandt and a member of his workshop, have not been on public view in decades.

The two works were recently acquired by the New York collectors Thomas S. Kaplan and Daphne Recanati Kaplan, the founders of The Leiden Collection, which is one of the largest private collections of seventeenth-century Dutch art in the world. The rediscovery of these two paintings and their presentation in the Rembrandt House Museum reveal a fascinating story about the history of Rembrandt attribution and the importance of continuing research and technical investigation.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
will be in Amsterdam next month
can't wait to take my daughter's to the museums

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
Perhaps the best way to understand Amsterdam is to take a canal cruise. It is supper 'touristey' but one gets a sense of the city layout. In very simple terms the city is a bunch of expanding U's. There is also a museum Water Taxi. If you wish to see the Anne Frank House book in advance.

With children I would strongly avoid bikes it is not the cars, but locals on bikes. The trams while often crowded are the best way to go. Buy day tickets for this way to move around.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline JayH

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »
will be in Amsterdam next month
can't wait to take my daughter's to the museums

Years ago on my first visit to Amsterdam I did all the obvious tourist type things -- and over the years it is the artwork  I saw --particularly at the Rijksmuseum that has stuck in my head.
After studying Art History at school ( & being more interested in the history part!) I was quite unprepared for the sheer size of some of what I saw -it was breathtaking to see.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »
Perhaps the best way to understand Amsterdam is to take a canal cruise. It is supper 'touristey' but one gets a sense of the city layout. In very simple terms the city is a bunch of expanding U's.

Yep - did that!

There is also a museum Water Taxi. If you wish to see the Anne Frank House book in advance.

Would have like to, but only had limited time.  Although my girlfriend (of the time) and I did other things while we were there, one abiding memory is of a half-day tour from Amsterdam to Marken and Volendam.  Very restful to get to such beautiful places on what was a glorious day.

Years ago on my first visit to Amsterdam I did all the obvious tourist type things -- and over the years it is the artwork  I saw --particularly at the Rijksmuseum that has stuck in my head.
After studying Art History at school ( & being more interested in the history part!) I was quite unprepared for the sheer size of some of what I saw -it was breathtaking to see.

Agreed.  I had no idea that "The Night Watch," for example, was so big!

Offline ML

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:03 PM »

With children I would strongly avoid bikes it is not the cars, but locals on bikes.

Yes, those locals on bikes were more dangerous to my well being than any car I have encountered.

They stop for nothing or no one.

And they will curse at those who are unfamiliar with the bike paths, etc.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online krimster2

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2018, 08:24:31 PM »
I plan on getting canal passes
there's a highway north of the city that goes west to the North Sea
so i'm planning on a beach trip

just nice to be in a place where we can walk around at night without fear of being shot

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
I find history fascinating - and depressing :( - because it shows how humans have kept doing the same mistakes over and over for millennia.

A given civilisation rises with some difficulty then achieves success, stabilises and eventually declines for the same reasons: complacency, over-confidence, greed, corruption, etc. etc. creating weaknesses which some other civilisation will exploit to bring about its downfall.

Bets are accepted for the next victim of this boring but apparently inevitable process - no time limits applicable ;).

Milan's "Duomo"

Online krimster2

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2018, 05:07:29 PM »
nations rise and fall
should be considered a law

do not ask for whom the bell tolls Sandro...
someone might be listening and have an ironic sense of humor
if you believe in that sort of thing
you're a good catholic boy
are you not?
how long has it been?

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »
are you not? how long has it been?
No - Since I can remember (I descend from an atheist/agnostic male line ;)).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2018, 06:23:04 AM »
Especially for Sandro

http://news.artnet.com/art-world/andrea-mantegna-painting-discovered-1291286?

Since Artnet does keep the articles for ever on line.

Here is the text below:

Dismissed as a Copy, a Painting by Renaissance Master Andrea Mantegna Is Found After Nearly a Century in Storage

The painting was discovered by a curator at the Accademia Carrara in Bergamo, Italy,

Henri Neuendorf, May 23, 2018

A 15th-century painting that was written off as a copy and stashed away in storage for almost a century has been attributed to the Renaissance master Andrea Mantegna. The sensational discovery was made at the Accademia Carrara in Bergamo, Italy and has been confirmed by the world’s foremost Mantegna expert, Keith Christiansen of New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The Resurrection of Christ (1492–93) was discovered in the museum’s storage facility by the Carrara’s curator Giovanni Valagussa, who came across the painting while working on a catalogue of the museum’s holdings. In the 1930s, the painting was dismissed by art historian Bernard Berenson as a copy of a lost Mantegna painting. It had languished in storage ever since. But Valagussa was immediately impressed by the quality of the work.

Speaking to artnet News, Christiansen said a key observation by the curator drove the discovery: Valagussa spotted the tip of a gold cross at the bottom of the composition, seemingly floating in space. “Giovanni noticed that painted in gold is a little banner, the same banner Christ is holding as he comes out of the tomb,” he explained.

The banner was attached to a pole that was cut off, which indicated that the painting had been split into pieces—a common practice in the Renaissance era. Valagussa’s mind immediately turned to Mantegna’s Christ’s Descent into Limbo in which Christ is shown holding a pole without a banner. “We put the two images together, and bingo! The rocks all match up, the little banner comes together, mystery solved,” Christiansen said.

Vallagusa’s hypothesis was supported further by an analysis of the rear of the painting, which featured a narrow wooden beam attached to the panel to stabilize and prevent warping. According to the Wall Street Journal, beams like this were typically attached to the upper and lower edges of a painting in places where the panel is most susceptible to warping. But this one was in the middle, suggesting that it must have been either the upper or lower part of a larger composition.

According to Christiansen, Renaissance artists often cut up paintings “for practical reasons, usually to fit the decorative schemes of a collection.” In this case, he added, “Mantenga’s name was so prestigious that instead of throwing away the little upper part, it was saved.” The lower half of the divided painting, which belongs to a private collector, was bought at Sotheby’s, New York in 2003 for $28.5 million.

Valagussa contacted Christiansen for a second opinion after rediscovering the painting. As a leading expert on the artist, Christiansen was able to confirm the curator’s theory. “My colleagues in Bergamo very generously sent me images to see if I was in agreement of what they thought, and with the evidence they had gathered, I didn’t see any objections that could be made,” he said.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:12:55 PM by SANDRO43 »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
Especially for Sandro
Thanks, I already read about it in our newspapers. I used Mantegna's most famous painting, visible at our Accademia di Brera, as front cover for our choir's recording of Bach's Corale "Herzlich thut mich verlangen" from his "Matthäus Passion".

Cristo morto (Dead Christ)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:52:25 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »
On the Italian side here ...........
What got my attention is that there are Italians don't especially care for the EU either.
Will there be an Italiexit?
New elections loom in Italy amid calls for Mattarella to be impeached    PM-in-waiting Giuseppe Conte quits, and M5S/Lega coalition fails, as president refuses to accept Eurosceptic as finance ministeA standoff over Italy’s future in the eurozone has forced the resignation of the populist prime minister-in-waiting, Giuseppe Conte, after the country’s president refused to accept Conte’s controversial choice for finance minister.
Sergio Mattarella, the Italian president who was installed by a previous pro-EU government, refused to accept the nomination for finance minister of Paolo Savona, an 81-year-old former industry minister who has called Italy’s entry into the euro a “historic mistake”.
              Kenan Malik    Kenan Malik           Read more      “I have given up my mandate to form the government of change,” Conte told reporters after leaving failed talks with Mattarella.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/27/italys-pm-designate-giuseppe-conte-fails-to-form-populist-government

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Online krimster2

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »
both Italy and Greece have been crucified by their Euro government debts
if they had their old currencies instead of the Euro, they would have inflated their currency as a way of dealing with debt instead of austerity

the euro primarily benefited big multi-national companies who no longer had to pay 2% to 3% of profits in forex

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2018, 07:07:05 AM »
Unlikely ::).
if they had their old currencies instead of the Euro, they would have inflated their currency as a way of dealing with debt instead of austerity
That remedy produced:
- Inflation: often double-digit - I remember it was about 20% in 1976.
- An ever-growing national debt: our Treasury bond dividends followed inflation, so people rushed to buy them. Now they are less than 1%. 

On the other hand, it was a huge mistake to establish an exchange rate of 1936,27 IT£ to the Euro, almost 2000: psychologically people undeestimated it as 1000, and were encouraged to buy more than they could really afford.
Milan's "Duomo"

Online krimster2

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
inflation is easier to deal with than austerity leading to deflation and unemployment
Italy always had inflation

I have a Victor Emanuele III 100 lire coin dated 1931 made of gold!
and a 100 lira coin of 1956 made of nickel
that's what 25 yr of inflation looks like

Offline msmob

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2018, 03:10:29 PM »
On the Italian side here ...........
What got my attention is that there are Italians don't especially care for the EU either.

Only if they are totally daft - as the UK is proving - and 'we' owe far less money

As ever, when times are hard - it is easier to blame the Germans - rather than look closer to home

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2018, 06:02:20 PM »
inflation is easier to deal with than austerity leading to deflation and unemployment
Yes, because it hits a little at a time, while austerity measures - if serious - hit all at once and heavily ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Online krimster2

« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
yeah pretty much...

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »
SKELETON OF LAME MAN FOUND IN POMPEII

Excavations are always in progress in Pompeii - and will be for a long time since it is estimated that some 70% of it is still buried. In its Regio V a new, unusual discovery was made a few days ago:

Skeletons are found rarely in Pompeii, and this particular one was found having an infected tibia that probably caused him to hobble. He was crushed by a boulder from a nearby building while trying to flee.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2018, 05:19:35 PM »
Saint Catherine's Mosaics

The Monastery of Saint Catherine's was first a humble chapel erected in 328 AD by Saint Helen, mother of Emperor Constantine the Great, at the site where Moses is supposed to have seen the burning bush. The monastery was built later by order of Emperor Justinian I (527–565), and the site is sacred to Christianity, Islam and Judaism. The monastery library preserves the second largest collection of early codices and manuscripts in the world, outnumbered only by the Vatican Library. It contains Greek, Arabic, Armenian, Coptic, Hebrew, Georgian, Aramaic and Caucasian Albanian texts.

It also possesses beautiful mosaics, the most notable being that of Christ's Transfiguration in its apse, which was facing decay until recently restored by an Italian team. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:26:52 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline jone

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
SKELETON OF LAME MAN FOUND IN POMPEII

Excavations are always in progress in Pompeii - and will be for a long time since it is estimated that some 70% of it is still buried. In its Regio V a new, unusual discovery was made a few days ago:

Skeletons are found rarely in Pompeii, and this particular one was found having an infected tibia that probably caused him to hobble. He was crushed by a boulder from a nearby building while trying to flee.

No wonder he hobbled.  His feet are missing.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »

I suspect that his skull was crushed was a bigger pain.

Sandro thank you for bringing the Monastery of St. Catherine to our attention. Fascinating stuff.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2018, 06:29:40 PM »
No, but his headache was rather worse ;).

Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1865
Total: 1876

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM