It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 449083 times)

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1250 on: March 24, 2020, 06:57:52 AM »
They didn't have any 'point' and don't have one, now ..

These are unique circumstances and I've observed my fellow villagers want to ban 'outsiders' from 'infecting us'...

More words amounting to nothing more but incoherent babble. You quote a poster  and do not agree nor disagree, nor do you add anything germane to the discussion. You make statements that mean absolutely nothing. One single coherent thought could rest in that empty head of yours for literally years

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1251 on: March 24, 2020, 07:01:12 AM »
More words amounting to nothing more but incoherent babble. You quote a poster  and do not agree nor disagree, nor do you add anything germane to the discussion. You make statements that mean absolutely nothing. One single coherent thought could rest in that empty head of yours for literally years

Your well-reasoned, point by point 'counters' just keep a comin' ...

I DISAGREED, with an explanation - but your 'sharp mind' has yet to be penetrated ... as to the event ... 

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1252 on: March 24, 2020, 07:19:11 AM »
GQ,

EU is quite unlike the US, EU has no armed forces, FEMA type organizations, CDC type arrangement nor does it manage some national stockpile for disasters. It does not govern member states, the states govern EU. It is only there to give guidance and provide uniform rules and laws to member states along with development assistance to level the playing field. That is why any major decisions like Brexit need concurrence of all member states.  Member states pay to support the structure, but citizens are not taxed directly.

I guess it is something akin to 'little .gov' many in the US strive for where states have the most power.

After this is all over, the member states may well sit together and decide on a better-structured disaster response capability.

Offline BC

« Reply #1253 on: March 24, 2020, 07:27:20 AM »
Moby,

I guess I have to agree with FP, you and trench both seem to have a penchant for making any topic about yourselves.  Many of the behaviours you two exhibit are described in Psych 101 textbooks.

No, I'm not going to reply.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1254 on: March 24, 2020, 07:31:15 AM »
BC,

I AM going to respond ... Do I look like I'm 'bovvered' concerning your discerning observational skills ?  ..

My mentioning the siege mentality in 'my'  village was not an affirmation - but an example ...

Do you remember your describing your wife's journey to the supermarket ? ...

Offline Gator

« Reply #1255 on: March 24, 2020, 07:35:13 AM »

But I take everything China says with a grain of salt.  Officials have been lying to us since the outbreak.   Do you recall when they were saying that it could not be transmitted person to person?

The police also throttled the young doctor who first discovered a "new type of pneumonia."  Yes, China made huge mistakes.  I not only question the Chinese government today, I dislike them.    However, this particular data set is interesting as it shows something less deleterious than the public's perception.   

We will see similar types of data from other nations as their surges slow.   

I think China's even done a number on the WHO.

For sure.  WHO's Director-General Tedros Adhanom was China's man when appointed (China made large investments in Ethiopia).  He praises China's effort.   :barf:

We still have sappers inside the wire, yet I am optimistic based on the total sum of the effort underway and my analysis of data.   Jone, when judging what I say about China data, temper it with what I wrote in the first RWD post about coronavirus. 

Upon first learning of  2019-nCoV, I dismissed it,  believing China with its authoritarian government would take the necessary measures to limit its spread. 

China has failed so far;  the number of human infections has progressed exponentially and continues to do so. The total number of confirmed cases already far exceeds the total number of cases reported for SARS, another coronavirus originating in China.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1256 on: March 24, 2020, 07:44:56 AM »

Not trying to piss on your parade, but do recognize that there are those much smarter than us RWD MD's looking at all possibilities.  None have jumped for joy yet.

Smarter than RWD members?!  No way!   ;)

BC, you make valid points.

A lot of people will die.  Some may die from side effects of these not fully tested medications.  Yet, the effort on all fronts to address this virus is huge.  We will prevail over this disease. 

I am less optimistic about the speed that our economy recovers. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #1257 on: March 24, 2020, 07:50:49 AM »
I wonder if the most important person on his team has been 'disappeared'...  Guess we will find out at today's conference.

Many people are questioning this.  I hope he is still around.  If not, it will look bad for Trump. One needs all informed opinions when making decisions. 

The last time I saw the good doctor, someone questioned his absence from the Task Force.  He replied that he is busy with many teams. 

Most important?  All are important.  Yet, he was perhaps the most credible. 

Offline BC

« Reply #1258 on: March 24, 2020, 07:56:40 AM »
Some may die from side effects of these not fully tested medications.

One already died from the news about a not fully tested medication.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/arizona-man-dies-after-taking-drug-chloroquine-coronavirus

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #1259 on: March 24, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/health/arizona-man-dies-after-taking-drug-chloroquine-coronavirus

Died from drinking fish tank cleaner. Sounds like natural selection, not Trumps fault.

HDL

Offline BC

« Reply #1260 on: March 24, 2020, 09:34:13 AM »

not Trumps fault.

Sure, still have to be careful about the information that is sent out.  Using words like 'gamechanger', even adding 'maybe' afterwards isn't very wise. 

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1261 on: March 24, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »
Further to my post two days ago..looks like Spain has now hit the curve too.

Deaths down by 50 and new cases down by 1800 compared to yesterday.

I'm very confident we'll have less Corona virus deaths in the UK than the average 17,000 deaths per year from Flu here.

I'm also confident you'll have less Corona virus deaths in the USA than the average 36,000 deaths per year from Flu there.

In 6 months everyone will be scratching their heads wondering what all the panic/bedwetting was about..of course our economy will be in meltdown by then.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:35:31 AM by Chelseaboy »
Just saying it like it is.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1262 on: March 24, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »

Did you read the article?  He and wife consumed fish tank cleaner, one ingredient of which is chloroquine, the hyped malaria drug. 

I wonder what other chemicals are ingredients in fish tank cleaner.  I assign this to the "IDIOT" file.  Surely no doctor advised them to do this. 

Offline jone

« Reply #1263 on: March 24, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »
Did you read the article?  He and wife consumed fish tank cleaner, one ingredient of which is chloroquine, the hyped malaria drug. 

I wonder what other chemicals are ingredients in fish tank cleaner.  I assign this to the "IDIOT" file.  Surely no doctor advised them to do this. 

Shame on him!  What are the fish gonna do now for a clean tank? 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Gator

« Reply #1264 on: March 24, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »
Just watched on Fox News a town hall with Trump and selected task force members.

NIH's Tony Fauci was not present.  Fox asked Trump about his absence, and he replied that Tony is busy doing many other things.  When asked about the personal relationship with Fauci, Trump answered the relationship is good.

Instead of Fauci, Trump's Surgeon General and Dr. Deborah Brix attended.  Brix has impressed me as an intelligent, credible medical member of the Task Force.

Here are some notes of what I found important:

-  The US has conducted more tests in the past 8 days than South Korea over the previous 8 weeks.

-  The testing procedures continue to be transformed and enhanced.  The emerging new procedure is self-sampling at a testing center without the attending staff having to wear PPE.  This will free  previously dedicated PPE to the nurses and doctors in hospitals.  The new test is less intrusive and does not require inserting a swab far up the nasal passage and turning left under the  nose! 

-  The testing reveals that well under 10% of tests report positive for COVID-19 infection.  There is one exception and it is significant.  In the three-state NYC area, 28% of the tests are reporting positive. 

-  Singapore is preparing for a second wave of infection.  Singapore had done such an excellent job of identifying and isolating exposure that "herd immunity" did not develop.

-  Trump wants the nation back to work by Easter, only 19 days.  When asked, Brix did not state whether this was advisable or not.  Various doctors phoned in questions, and one likened having everyone returning to work is akin to a doctor "discharging" a hospitalized patient.  He suggested there would be much to analyze between now and Easter that may suggest not to discharge the patient. 

-  IF it happens by Easter, we can call it a "resurrection." 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:37:29 PM by Gator »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #1265 on: March 24, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »
Moby,

I guess I have to agree with FP, you and trench both seem to have a penchant for making any topic about yourselves.

Then how about you tell us how things are on the front line? How is life in Hitler's bunker?
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

« Reply #1266 on: March 24, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »
http://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/coronavirus-testing-by-state-chart-of-new-cases/

Is being updated live, shows the number of tests in each state and has a slider at the top so you can see how infections grow over time.

Thanks.

I compared it with Florida government site - 100% agreement.   

Offline jone

« Reply #1267 on: March 24, 2020, 12:47:38 PM »
+1 Excellent resource, BC.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BC

« Reply #1268 on: March 24, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »
Did you read the article?

Yes, that's why I highlighted 'the news' as being at fault, not the phosphate variant.  Surely there was some warning on the package.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #1269 on: March 24, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
Things not looking good for Germany's economy from all of this:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-24/german-economy-heads-for-steep-recession-on-coronavirus-impact

Italy's economy is already a goner. If China can see of the final cases of Coronavirus then I reckon they have the strength to bounce back pretty fast.

Here a lot of stuff has closed down after all the orders to close. I'm still gainfully employed for the time being so for once I'm not one of the first in the firing line thank goodness. From LinkedIn posts I get the impression that many companies are taking Coronavirus as an easy way to lay off the least able/productive staff, thereby reducing their staffing costs. Many Millennials seem to be in the firing line (redundancy) of such moves as they tend to comprise of the less essential staff.

I'm doing my bit in helping to keep the UK economy going by spending out on gym equipment, survival gear, stocking up, etc, etc. which in turn will hopefully all aid in keeping people in work and hence the UK economy up a bit longer. I think the main thing economically is that we don't let our nation get beat up economically so bad that we end up in a real bad economic situation.

Many people will be able to gain employment in other sectors of the economy that are growing at the moment, in hand sanitizers, toilet paper, food production, supermarkets, nursing, etc. So part of it is people shifting around and the way companies & society organise themselves in a different manner. Will take a bit of time and some uncomfortable upset for those involved but it will happen over time I think.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

« Reply #1270 on: March 24, 2020, 01:08:05 PM »
For the purpose of unbiased reporting, I give this tidbit from the Fox Town Hall for BC, Moby. krimster and others who despise Trump.

Evidently Gov Cuomo and Trump have been cooperating fairly closely about the Feds helping New York.  I missed it but it seems Cuomo may have criticized Trump about something, even though Trump is helping him in other ways. 

Trump always counter punches, so Trump used the Town Hall to read a report from 2016 that Cuomo had an opportunity to purchase thousands of ventilators but purchased instead solar panels and something else of that progressive category.  The reporters ignored him. 

Later in the Town Hall, Dr. Brix mentioned the rapid surge of cases in New York.  Trump asked her, "Do you blame Gov. Cuomo?"  She rightfully ignored him, with the same look of ignoring a two-year old throwing toys out of his playpen.   

Trump has some warts, yet he gives his all to helping America and produces results. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #1271 on: March 24, 2020, 01:13:27 PM »
Then how about you tell us how things are on the front line? How is life in Hitler's bunker?

Hey Trench, much as I abhor BC's new found double stds - he's in Italy  - not Berlin ..

Now, one minute you're in Dorset, then at work .. so back in S.Wales(?) ...so well done for keeping down on the social interaction front !

On day 5 of social isolation with Ma and just rtied to order food online from all of the big boys in groceries ...  ALL booked out solid for 3 weeks to a month

We have enough meat / bread / milk for a week and even toilet roll for a month - ordered 1 x pack of 24 - as per usual when  down to 5 or less

Our local shop will deliver on orders over a tenner - so guess who's going to be getting out biz ?

In the mean time, not sure how delivering Trench gym kit is a vital service .. at such times ?!

Those still golfing in America ....  WHY ?  You're taking a risk ...  Stay at home !

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:51:26 PM by msmob »

Offline jone

« Reply #1272 on: March 24, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »
Regarding the resource that BC gave us from Politico, I find the following:

The number of tests given vs. the number of positives for the tests should be an indicator that we're getting ahead of the game.   Were at  six and a half tests for every positive case found.   Now, keep in mind that the testing is only being done on likely candidates.   I find the idea that Politico has to throw in a couple of insults along with this essential data is reprehensible. 

The number of deaths, so far, in the US, is incredibly small.   We're at around 1.6% of deaths compared to those that actually have the virus AND HAVE BEEN TESTED.  This is significant.   

I think that the physical distancing coupled with hand sanitation is having significant success in stopping the spread of the virus.   But I am also beginning to wonder about the virulence.   An effective killing machine will kill itself over time.   That is why viruses are constantly mutating.  Think in terms of a 'half life' for viruses.   My guess is that over the next few weeks the virulence of this virus will track downward.   And I think Trump is already getting those signals from the virologists.   Thus his focus turns back to the economy.

Hopefully this is the case.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1273 on: March 24, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
Regarding the resource that BC gave us from Politico, I find the following:...

It's a bit behind world-o-meter/ It already reported 52.9 confirmed when Politico's still stuck at 49. Otherwise a good site. Damn, NY is getting hammered.

As for the ratio, I still find this dubious at best. Positive/negative doesn't really tell reality because the testing is confined to symptomatic patients. asymptomatic is out there believing they don't have it and are wildly spreading it around and aren't getting 'tested'.

The drive to&from San Diego was pretty uneventful. I have never, ever seen the freeways this wide open. Mach II all the way.

I spoke with my wife on my way up, and she agreed with me. One of our tenants are in the service industry. The gal works as a waitress and is going to school, and he's a bartender. I'm drafting a letter this afternoon and we'll need to get it executed. We'll defer their rent for the next two months starting April regardless of what happens within both months. The other property is fine, I think. The guy renting it have a great job and I think he has more money than me and my wife anyway, so no break for the sucker - hahah!

LA, relatively, is doing OK, but then again, this is based on the test counts. This week is looking to be formidable. I have confidence with my fellow Americans. We'll get through this.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #1274 on: March 24, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »
haha,

dobre den American swinehund...
eto Radio Moskva!
in 3 to 4 days you Americans will have more reported Corona infections than China...
ac-tual-ly...
you will be the world leader in Corona infections....
and ten days after that, you’ll hit the platinum jackpot of 1 million+ reported infected

finally you are “winning” at something
digging your own graves

and...
you won’t hit the end of the first Corona peak, until after July...
hope you have enough shovels

keep them handy for next year and the year after as well...
and buy more from China

spossiba Trump voters, for EVERYTHING
don’t worry about sanctions!
when we squeeze Europa in a few years with gas and oil
we won’t need anything at all from you
and frankly, we don't expect a whole lot will be left anyway
oh, please say sorry to your banks about our defaults

we’ll see who wins the war that’s coming...
doubt it will be you
see ya, wouldn’t wanna be ya
stoopid Yankees

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:03:35 PM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats