It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 2020: A wonderful 'bad' year for us.  (Read 8719 times)

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 2020: A wonderful 'bad' year for us.
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 01:55:01 PM »
A lot of things (used) to come to me easily also; and not just academic type things.

e.g. Mechanical things, handy man things, etc.

As result . . . I (used) to get extremely frustrated when I could not quickly do or learn to do something.

Chess I can do, but card games still are a puzzle to me; I would lose my shirt if I were a gambling man at cards.

So I understand what you say about mixed blessing.
I understand you as well, though I always stayed far from mechanical things. I ten to either break things with my unexpected power or not understand how it works.My main weakness is however lack of drive to win. At chess I was school champion for 5 years, without every really studying it to high level. I just came and won, playing against my chess computer for a few days before to ensure not to make careless mistakes.In life it is similar I do things I like and not necessarily which give me the best amount of money. If I try or not, using my brains I beat most people at their own skill.
Over the past year MrsShadow and me have raised our first own dogs. With our uninformed training we got results that are on the level of a third group obedience training before getting stuck and adding some professional input. We blame the dogs being extremely smart.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
I can still remember the overall sentiment people had during New Year's eve last year! They couldn't wait to see 2020 in their rear view mirrors. There's an obviously very valid reason for that. Including us. 2020 was likely the worst year for most, if not all, Americans. I won't be surprised if this feeling was global either.

Politics aside, COVID-19 put a lot of hurting in all of us. I've never laid witness to how our society came to a grinding halt. Everything we took for granted, to the simplest things in our daily routine, were all of the sudden gone or forbidden. Miracle of all, was how our freeway systems were literally ghostly abandoned. It seemed so at times anyway.

Strangely though, and I really do firmly believe this, that someone 'up there' had always been looking out for me and my wife.

Wifey, as a CPA, suffered the same fate untold numbers of sr. managers/managers did from all of the big accounting firms in the nation. Wholesale furloughs in these firms was a result of the grinding halt businesses were subjected to. Tens of thousands of accountants were jobless, and networking and internet searches flooded the want ads and classifieds in an instant. Mrs. GQ was slated to compete for a position of hire, that more likely didn't exist at the time, against thousands. Wifey took this experience hard. The manner in which this was handled was brutal. I remember getting a recorded audio of the call her supervisor made on that proverbial 'cost-cutting' call. I remember hearing the last few seconds of the recording when the call was finished, and just before she cut the recording, how wifey broke out in tears and cries.

Tough as it was, and as I always default to, believed there's a reason why things happen in our lives. Besides, I thought, It's also good in a way for wifey to experience something like this. Since she arrived to the US, all the way to this moment, she seemed to be riding in the belief she's *indispensable*. Sometimes a little lesson in humility can actually make a person 'better' prepared for times like this.

Well, that 'sad', concerned feeling lasted a week. Wifey filed unemployment, and because of Trump's action, she found out she'll be entitled to receive $1,050.00/week. Net. She's facing a summer of empty freeways, closed shops, restricted beaches and money without anything to spend or travel on. To me, it's kind of funny in a way. Ironies like this always humor me.

A week after the 'juiced' compensatory programs she was riding on stopped, she received a call from a huge private global company in search of a sr. manager in their tax department. Since she specializes in FI/provisions, etc...she hung on the idea she'll be a great fit. But se didn't want to be too giddy about it and did her best to give out a good impression. She thinks her ex-boss gave the reference. Long story short, she interviewed twice with 4 different people from the company. Got hired, and she's been with them since August/September. It's actually crazy too because since the hiring, she's only gone to the office one time, and that was to get her photo taken and get a badge since the company building is in the shutdown mode and everyone was working from home. To this day, she's been working from home.

Wifey received a whopping $XX more than her last wage, 401K, self-discretionary PTOs, etc...She just received a $20K bonus from the company for their year-end closeout reports. She sent me a snapshot of the company's stock from the time of her hiring to recent. It's gone double.

Crazy, I say.

Me...well. Summer last year was more or less like any other. SOFI Stadium was for the most part, over. I also had a project that involved building a venue that included a theater. That almost stopped because of it. So for the most part, I was sailing along unconcerned about the challenges brought about by COVID. Our tenants, that we can't do anything about anyway, were surprisingly able to make payments. At times partially, which is OK under the circumstances.

Then an offer came. Discussions ensued. Negotiations, phone calls, meetings and finally - an agreement. I left my firm and partnered with 4 other guys and started our own construction company. Late last year, all the way to the start of this year, was brutally busy.

It seemed the moment my wife got over her anguish and anxious circumstances, I elected to start mine.

Considering this, in as much as I still think 2020 was a 'bad' year - in hindsight - its' been a wonderful time for me and Mrs. GQBlues.

How about you? How did 2020 treated you and yours?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:37:35 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
Hi GQ, very nice write-up.  Thanks for sharing.
However, before others start to chime in . . . would you consider moving your write up to a previous thread that was started on similar theme.
Thanks

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=24507.0
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 05:26:08 PM »
Congratulations GQ!

Two magnificent career events for wifey and you.   :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Your post reminds me of starting my consulting partnership eons ago.    In ten years we grew from 3 to 3,000 employees, working mostly for manufacturing clients.  Most of our growth resulted from geographic expansion by finding startup partners around the US and then internationally. 

I wish you the same joy of success!  

BTW,  it was not all joy along the way, such as having to use home equity to make payroll......a very sobering time, especially with a wee one crawling around the house.     

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 07:18:19 PM »
Wifey filed unemployment, and because of Trump's action, she found out she'll be entitled to receive $1,050.00/week. Net. She's facing a summer of empty freeways, closed shops, restricted beaches and money without anything to spend or travel on. To me, it's kind of funny in a way. Ironies like this always humor me.
$1050 a week---Basically $4515 a month ...how did that happen? West coast prices?
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 10:47:30 PM »
ML-

I wouldn’t mind the merge. I actually started the post in Anything Goes section, and also didn’t realize the thread in your link existed.

Gator- the stadium project was a great venture for everyone involved. My partners are actually from the company that hired us as their subcontractor. That blossomed into what we’ve become today. A lot of growing pains. Despite being in the industry for so many years, the fact is, a brand new company still faces the reality of developing and earning the trust from these developers. So we’re not getting the meatier projects at this time. Well get one or two before this year is over. We have a targeted sum for this year, and our first quarter report already gave the guys reason to be more than optimistic. We’re a bit ahead of schedule with a very promising summer.

The decision to do this at my age right now, for the most part, isn’t so much for me but for my wife security. My bigger capital in the company is both my business connections and the industry knowledge. I’m hopeful that with whatever years I have left to grind, I can make additional hay for her future and security.

Carl, California’s unemployment maxes out at $900.00 bi-weekly. Last year’s federal bump was for $2,400.00/mo ($600.00/wk). This actually created some problems for a lot of small business owners. There was a brief moment last summer when we had a momentary relief and eased out some of the lockdowns, and establishments were allowed to reopen. Unfortunately, they couldn’t get workers back because they were getting more money staying unemployed than going back to work. That was nuts!!

Now wife tells me that the feds are not considering the unemployment sum as taxable income for tax year 2020.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:55:25 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline GQBlues

Re: 2020: A wonderful 'bad' year for us. Healthcare
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2021, 10:38:54 AM »
I wanted to add the healthcare segment as this subject was a point of discussion with the board in more than a few occasion in the past. I imagine this is typical for an average American household with a working couple. Maybe in various level or degree.
Accounting firms is one of the few national industry that provide top notch healthcare coverage for their employees. Hence, since we got married, and wifey started working as an accountant, we had always opted to get our coverage through her employment. For my part, I would be compensated by my employer with tax-free cash payment every week for not having to provide me & wifey healthcare. In essence, whatever deduction for healthcare her employer is taking out of my wife’s periodic pay, the extra tax-free money I get helps defray most of the cost they take from her. FWIW, our healthcare premium is literally non-existent.

This had worked out marvelously throughout the years for us. Then, the event of last year happened. LMAO! Wifey was told that we will be covered, via COBRA, for the rest of the month (10 days left in that month), plus 30-days. This was also a huge part of her freaking out. I keep trying to assure her to relax and everything will be fine, but I guess the Russian worry nature in her crept up and started to overwhelm my American ambivalence. The myth of uninsured Americans, and all the sensationalized nightmares behind it all was starting to come to life in her mind. LMAO. So I knew to do something ASAP to show her how we’ll be alright so she can stop wigging out.

2 days after her tribulation, I went to lunch with the owner and controller from work and I brought the subject of my wife getting furloughed and losing our coverage. Owner tells our controller to find out from our insurance agent what coverage they can offer that would best match what we had with my wife’s program. Controller also instructed me to get the statement of coverage from our policy in addition to the cost of the COBRA at the same time.

LSS, Comparable coverage from my employer is employee-portion cost of $1900.00/mo. This is in addition to whatever cost the company is carrying. COBRA, OTOH, if we elect to continue the coverage we had with them, costs $1,600.00/mo., on a month-to-month basis. No brainer. They upped their cash compensation to me for the cost of COBRA coverage, PLUS the annual deductible for both of us – came out to $2,000.00/mo. $24K/yr – tax-free. A very humbling gesture from my employer.

If that was hard to believe, what came after is even more humbling. When my wife got her job, her employer provided nearly the same type of coverage, albeit a little less ‘expensive’. The difference wasn’t really much, $100.00/yr. deductible for both of us. Same dental, eye care, prescription, etc…

Cancelled the COBRA, and advised my employer the date (COBRA cancellation) and when her coverage kicks in so they can stop the compensation. I get an email response advising me the ownership decided to keep the compensation in my pay intact indefinitely.

I didn’t have the strength to argue.

This is what my wife and I love about this country. Things always have a way of working itself out, and at times, for the better.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:40:51 AM by GQBlues »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
Then an offer came. Discussions ensued. Negotiations, phone calls, meetings and finally - an agreement. I left my firm and partnered with 4 other guys and started our own construction company. Late last year, all the way to the start of this year, was brutally busy.

Good luck on your new endeavor. Make sure your partners and employees are doing a good job. I've seen guys from big general contracting companies approached by a group of doctors, attorneys, and others to form a new construction company and they do very well. On the other hand I've seen guys break away from their companies and go bankrupt. Bad decisions and substance abuse brought some companies down.

How about you? How did 2020 treated you and yours?

I lost at least two jobs that were worth over a million. Wife continued nursing school but had to do it at home and didn't get to do clinicals. This year she's able to do clinicals and will get her RN but she'll continue on for a BSN and then go to work and later study to be a nurse practitioner which will give her powers of a doctor which she always wanted to be.

$1050 a week---Basically $4515 a month ...how did that happen? West coast prices?

It's more in Washington State. Cost of living is high in the Seattle area but Eastern Washington is laid back and more affordable.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 11:31:30 AM »

This year she's able to do clinicals and will get her RN but she'll continue on for a BSN and then go to work and later study to be a nurse practitioner which will give her powers of a doctor which she always wanted to be.

No nurse practitioners do not have powers of a doctor.

NPs have more power than RNs, but a long ways from having powers of a doctor.

To achieve NP, she will have to get a masters degree.
But many online courses for this masters, as I have heard.

I talked a lot with RNs, NPs, Physician Assistants, Interns, Residents and full MDs during my long hospital stay, and at my many, many appointments since.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 11:37:32 AM »

Cancelled the COBRA, and advised my employer the date (COBRA cancellation) and when her coverage kicks in so they can stop the compensation. I get an email response advising me the ownership decided to keep the compensation in my pay intact indefinitely.

This 'ownership' you refer to was your previous employer, where you no  longer work . . . right ?

Commenting on the bigger picture . . . yes health insurance coverage is very, very expensive.

And it got a lot more expensive when Obama Care kicked in because insurance companies had to up the premiums from paying folks to compensate for those who were paying very little or nothing.

I expect premiums will go up further as Obama Care is expanded under Joe.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »

No nurse practitioners do not have powers of a doctor.

There are many articles on the internet saying nurse practitioners are taking over for doctors. They have the powers to diagnose patients and prescribe medicines. Some people may not even realize it but their primary care doctor may actually be a nurse practitioner.

"We can pretty much do anything that a doctor can do with the exception of performing surgical procedures independently," says [/size]Sylvia Estrada[/color][/size], nurse practitioner in the [/size]Cedars-Sinai[/size] [/size]breast cancer program[/color][/size].

[/size]http://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/difference-nurse-practitioner-vs-doctor.html
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 02:27:17 PM »
Billy that quote was from a Nurse Practitioner. 

Medical Doctors would laugh at her assertion.

Sure NPs are important and are doing a lot with patients.

Each time I go to see a MD now, I am first seen by a NP or a PA.
They do a lot of the checking, etc.; then they go confer with the MD; then they  both come back in to talk with me.

The MD often tells the NP to write a prescription, but never for dangerous drugs or controlled substances.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 05:35:39 PM »

Billy that quote was from a Nurse Practitioner. 

Medical Doctors would laugh at her assertion.

The MD often tells the NP to write a prescription, but never for dangerous drugs or controlled substances.

Cedars Sinai is regularly ranked in the top 10 hospitals in the nation. I doubt they'd allow medical personnel to make false statements on their website.

Some States give NPs full authority and some NPs need to consult with physicians. Maybe your state limits what a NP can do.

http://www.usa.edu/blog/nurse-practitioner-vs-doctor/

In less than a decade from now, America will be short of over 100,000 doctors and NPs will be in greater demand to fill the void. They spend less time in school compared to doctors and are also paid less. But they can easily make over 100K. My wife says she'll take care of me someday. For those looking for an FSU wife thinking this whole ordeal is going to cost a lot of money, it can actually be an investment. If you invest in your woman and take care of her, good things with happen.

http://www.solvhealth.com/blog/doctors-vs-nurse-practitioners-what-s-the-difference

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2021, 09:53:13 AM »
Good luck on your new endeavor.

Thanks Billy.
..Make sure your partners and employees are doing a good job. I've seen guys from big general contracting companies approached by a group of doctors, attorneys, and others to form a new construction company and they do very well. On the other hand I've seen guys break away from their companies and go bankrupt. Bad decisions and substance abuse brought some companies down.

I’ve known my partners for a few good years. One of them is actually a foreman to one of my team from last employer. He took along his crew including likely one of the best operator in the business. You should see what this kid can do on a CAT 345 & D8R amongst other things. Another is an awesome blade/skip hand for finishes. GCs, operators and laborer. We negotiated, offered and gave them over-scale for the switch for the field guys. We’re also implementing ESOP. Hopefully we can make good to all.

From your neck of the woods, I’ve contracted a lot work with Seattle-based Ferguson & Abbott for their ventures down here. With foreign money investing in the US, notably the major metropolitan areas, there's still much that can / needs to be done in SoCal.

Wife continued nursing school but had to do it at home and didn't get to do clinicals. This year she's able to do clinicals and will get her RN but she'll continue on for a BSN and then go to work and later study to be a nurse practitioner which will give her powers of a doctor which she always wanted to be.

I wish you good fortune there. That’s a great career to have. Especially with a growing population. The medical field had been a huge employer for many foreign professionals too, especially Filipinas. Very demanding field though.
My niece is an RN in Minnesota. Just graduated. I am so proud of her. She’s been working in a hospital (don’t know on what capacity) on a work/internship programs of some sort while she was in school. However, having whatever income she got out of that wasn’t really enough. She also had to dive into the student loan program. I just hope she didn’t lean into it too heavily. She’s too stubbornly proud to ask for assistance.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 09:59:15 AM »
This 'ownership' you refer to was your previous employer, where you no  longer work . . . right ?

Sadly, yes it is, ML. The Boss man was more than fair with me during my employ. He never macro-managed anything with me and readily gave me full rein with my team anyway I wish to do so. Always been supportive of deals and decisions I made for the company. I am one of 3 teams he had in the company that, and albeit we were the newest one, we’re always on the top tier earner year in and out.

As generous and fair he has been to me and my team financially, it wasn’t simply because of his generous nature. I feel our performance over the years have more than a lot to do with it. But, it was his company, and were still only his ‘employees’. I never lost sight of that.

I’ve been approached more than a few times and players in the past. It wasn’t until now that I decided to take the leap of faith. Why not? I’ve made a few good people a ton of money over the years because of what I do and have done. For the future of my wife, with a calculated decision, I feel whatever few good years I have left I hopefully can further make good to assure her future to be as solid as I can make it to be. The least I can do for her dedicating the prime of her life on me. Our family personally, and the extended inclusion all the way to my nieces and nephews, kins from both sides, will be around long after I’m gone.

Why not try to make good with one last heave, right?

I have an understudy that I left behind. He’s more than ready to spread his wings. Bright guy. With a very young family, this is a golden opportunity for him to establish a solid and secured footing for himself and family. He’ll be a promising professional in his own right. Technically, I’ve departed with about as much as I can possibly share with him, and he’s been a sponge all along. He’ll serve the ownership well. He also understands that I’ll just be a phone call away whenever the need arise.

He’ll need to hone his golf skills however. That’s an area I can’ help him with. He needs to understand the science in how to play holes 1-18. And just as important if not more, the art behind the 19th hole. I’ve negotiated and consummated a lot of great deals in golf courses as much as any other means.

Commenting on the bigger picture . . . yes health insurance coverage is very, very expensive.

And it got a lot more expensive when Obama Care kicked in because insurance companies had to up the premiums from paying folks to compensate for those who were paying very little or nothing.

I expect premiums will go up further as Obama Care is expanded under Joe.

Yes, you’re right. It wasn’t too long ago that I (can still) remember I wasn’t paying for any ‘employee-portion’ for healthcare. Sure, the catastrophic coverage maxed out at $20K, but I was young and invincible then. Never got sick much less hospitalized. Not having to ‘pay’ for any employer-provided coverage was great. Now, with Obamacare, that marketplace doesn’t really have much to offer without forking out princely dues for the trouble.

Considering the same 27 million in us is still uninsured, which was the focal reason used by the crony politicians who started this idiocy, which many believes is the major cause of division within us, it's a farce and made those cronies multi-millionaire. Each one of them. Mainstream Americans are still paying for this corruption and will be for a while. The heist of the century.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:00:56 AM by GQBlues »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541299
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3602
Most Online Ever: 12701