It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Getting cheapest airline tickets  (Read 19078 times)

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Getting cheapest airline tickets
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »

CHALLENGE for you Shadow. Where did I say I'm avoiding war zones in this thread? Quote me, don't quote BC because I think you're drinking his coolaid. You guys are adding more drama to this thread than necessary.

Most people don't understand the distance from Istanbul to Syria's borders or know the range of the S-400 which is 400km/250 miles but they do know there is a war next door. Look at BC's map. After one civilian airliner was a casualty of war, nobody flies through there anymore. Just the thought of getting shot down is scaring some people from flying through Turkey. Egypt too

Turkish airlines is cheapest now because the increased chance for terrorism in the area, and a war next door that includes Russian but Russia won't shoot down a civilian airliner, right? BC is right. I'm giving up my freedom. Who wants it?
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »

Where did I say I was avoiding war zones Shadow? Just because I'm talking about why some people aren't flying through Turkey doesn't mean I'm talking about myself. Speculation on what I'm saying is not good enough. Think. If I can fly INTO Ukraine, why would I be afraid to fly through Turkey around Syria?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
Cheap tickets are most desirable for me but as important for me now are the crazy departure times at SVO airport. Almost all seem to fall into the 5:00 - 630 AM range. Which necessitates an overnight stay at an airport hotel. Either that or give up a nights sleep which is too much for me.

I first started going in 1992 and the schedule has bounced all over the place since then. From 5:00 AM on my first time to non-stops to/from Chicago. Then Delta - New York - Moscow became acceptable. Then it was KLM. But now it is just terrible, IMHO.

Last year it was 3 stops with 1 hr. between connections. And in Atlanta  we had to clear Immigration and Customs in this 1 hour plus a new gate. Anxiety time !  If anybody has any good ideas how to circumvent all this I would be very grateful. We were both pretty well spent when we arrived home at midnight.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »
Cheap tickets are most desirable for me but as important for me now are the crazy departure times at SVO airport. Almost all seem to fall into the 5:00 - 630 AM range. Which necessitates an overnight stay at an airport hotel. Either that or give up a nights sleep which is too much for me.

I first started going in 1992 and the schedule has bounced all over the place since then. From 5:00 AM on my first time to non-stops to/from Chicago. Then Delta - New York - Moscow became acceptable. Then it was KLM. But now it is just terrible, IMHO.

Last year it was 3 stops with 1 hr. between connections. And in Atlanta  we had to clear Immigration and Customs in this 1 hour plus a new gate. Anxiety time !  If anybody has any good ideas how to circumvent all this I would be very grateful. We were both pretty well spent when we arrived home at midnight.

Move to another city???
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline LAman

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2016, 08:21:06 PM »
It is important to live in a city that has many flight connections available. From LA i can get to many cities with fewer connections, some with non-stop service. Ex. Moscow, either non- stop or a one stop with Lufthansa(15 hour flight). Depends on which airport I want to make connection to fly domestic.

BTW- Did you notice no flights mos-csy? Need to use kzn instead.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »
LA man - I thought you might notice by my name my location - Chicagoguy. Our airport here is O'Hare and we go back and forth here with Atlanta as the busiest airports in U.S. Some times for most departures/landings and other times most passengers. Hardly a podunk operation here.

I am guessing there are probably fewer people going through Moscow now plus European airlines are simply repositioning their planes for their convenience.

Offline LAman

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »
LA man - I thought you might notice by my name my location - Chicagoguy. Our airport here is O'Hare and we go back and forth here with Atlanta as the busiest airports in U.S. Some times for most departures/landings and other times most passengers. Hardly a podunk operation here.

I am guessing there are probably fewer people going through Moscow now plus European airlines are simply repositioning their planes for their convenience.

Yes, I did know your 'location' but as you said many problems now with your flights. I avoid O'Hare or Chicago like it is a plague, tooooo many flights connect there and chances of delays is rather high, especially in inclement weather. My first choice to fly to Europe is to avoid ANY stops in USA and I do find many good pricing. I did make a mistake recently and a return flight landed in NY, what a mess with immigration, a large room filled with hundreds and hundreds of people.

In April, there is one stop pricing for me LAX-MOS at ~$575.

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
Yes, I did know your 'location' but as you said many problems now with your flights. I avoid O'Hare or Chicago like it is a plague, tooooo many flights connect there and chances of delays is rather high, especially in inclement weather. My first choice to fly to Europe is to avoid ANY stops in USA and I do find many good pricing. I did make a mistake recently and a return flight landed in NY, what a mess with immigration, a large room filled with hundreds and hundreds of people.

MOS??? MOS is Moses Point, Washington. Good luck getting to anywhere in UA or RU from there!

http://www.theairdb.com/airport/MOS.html

Offline ML

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
Yes, the Moscow airport code is PUW.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »
MOS??? MOS is Moses Point, Washington. Good luck getting to anywhere in UA or RU from there!

http://www.theairdb.com/airport/MOS.html

The quoted link shows that it's in Alaska, not Washington.  As there are umpteen Moscows in the USA, is there more than one Moses Point as well?

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2016, 07:02:03 PM »

For LAMan and anyone else from the US here. Get a "Global Entry" addition put on your US Passport. You avoid the lines coming into the US. You just walk up to a Kiosk, scan your finger prints, it takes a photo and gives you a ticket. You had the ticket to the customs agent and you are done. Best $75 I have ever spent...

HDL

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 06:48:39 AM »
The quoted link shows that it's in Alaska, not Washington.  As there are umpteen Moscows in the USA, is there more than one Moses Point as well?

Oops, most humble apologies. My mistake...as a Boeing pilot, I am very familiar with Moses Lake, Washington being the site of Boeing aircraft flight test facilities, and read only the first name of the town, and not the state.
Yes, the well known Moses Lake is not in Alaska, but in Washington state. It does have a considerably longer runway (13,500 ft/4,100 m) than Moses Point and can accommodate intercontinental capable aircraft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_County_International_Airport

Offline BCKev

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 08:17:16 PM »

Shop on Tuesdays: U.S. airlines typically launch sales on Tuesdays and by 3 p.m. eastern time, the competition has matched the new deals and shoppers have more good prices to choose from.

Looks like this works! 

I've been watching a fare on KLM for the last few days.  Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday the price was at US$1554.

Bought it today (Tuesday) for US$1197.   :clapping:

Offline treadmilldude

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2016, 09:52:31 AM »
I thought this article was interesting and applicable to this thread.

http://www.yahoo.com/style/when-to-buy-the-cheapest-airline-tickets-100852370072.html

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541325
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701