It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Netflix Documentary Love Me  (Read 27852 times)

Offline ?MrManyQuestions?

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
The Netflix Documentary Love Me
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
I think there are more good people than bad too. Watching the video however, most of
the men had no business pursuing the girl that they did. The age and beauty disparity
were far too great. The guy who picked at this toes oblivious that he was being filmed
and didn't have sex with his fiance before getting married was totally crazy.

The far too fat insecure guy who got stood up on the first date but then she showed
up on a later day and he proposed!?!? What an idiot. He was a hundred miles out of
his league.

The guy who never had a girl before!?!? what was he doing in the FSU? that's like
finding a beginning boxer with 2 lessons a nice little fight to the death with Mike Tyson.
Why wouldn't they try blindfolded knife fighting? or maybe roller skating down an
escalator? it's probably not as dangerous. 

The guys in the film pushed the envelope far too far. That's why they were going to find
insincere women.

Here are the main problems that the men made as I see it.
1. They bought into the agency hype.
2. They used a pay by the letter agency
3. They had little dating experience and lacked basic social skills
4. They pursued women far out of their league in both age and beauty 
5. They asked strangers to marry them.
6. They didn't know a single word of Russian
7. They were underfunded
8. They ignored red flags
9. They allowed themselves and their private lives to be filmed. Who
would really want that kind of intrusion/distraction in such a serious
life changing situation?
10. They don't know any of the basics.

If I knew that somebody was going to step on a banana peel, fall and
crack their head open, but I couldn't do anything to stop it, I certainly
wouldn't watch it. The same with this documentary/movie. I am curious
did any of the relationships work out? My guess is that possibly one of
them did, but I would easily believe that none of them did.

You should have watched it to the end, as painful as it was for most of them. The big guy was at it again to send over $9,000 in pay per emails (AFA) for another FSUW/picture out of his league. As you put it, slipping on the banana peel again and repeating the same mistake.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »
Now I am in total agreement on what you said here.  These guys were heat seeking missiles in search of a burning and most of them found it.  In all of the cases you mentioned the guys were just delusional.  But I still don't think these reflect the average cases.  But maybe they do with agencies like Love Me, aka AFA.

I think you have it backwards.  I haven't seen this documentary yet, but based on what has been posted, I would say they're the norm.   At least from the types I saw rolling around Ukraine when I lived there.

Offline Miquel Westano

• Restricted
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 07:23:08 AM »

I think you have it backwards.  I haven't seen this documentary yet, but based on what has been posted, I would say they're the norm.   At least from the types I saw rolling around Ukraine when I lived there.

Wow!  I just assumed they found the most glaring examples of what men do wrong and used them for the entertainment value in the show. 

I must admit I am shocked how the agencies selling these tours convince guys who have zero dating skills in the USA that they will be rock stars in Ukraine or other overseas markets.  But I guess some people believe a Nigerian Prince is going to deposit a hundred million dollars in their bank account too.  I suppose at some point people just are willing to believe anything.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 08:06:54 AM »
The documentary maker said he chose the subjects because they were distillations of the types of men on the tours.   Yes, this is common, and there are many, many women, including married women, who supplement their incomes by working for those agencies.

I suspect not all have zero dating skills in the U.S.  A fair bit of it is finding someone who, physically, would not give that man the time of day in the West.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »
The documentary maker said he chose the subjects because they were distillations of the types of men on the tours.   Yes, this is common, and there are many, many women, including married women, who supplement their incomes by working for those agencies.

I suspect not all have zero dating skills in the U.S.  A fair bit of it is finding someone who, physically, would not give that man the time of day in the West.

So, women trade their youth and beauty, for resources.  And Western men have resources to trade with. Is that what you are saying?
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Boethius

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2015, 08:54:39 AM »
Pretty much.  They have more resources than those women, a lifestyle most can only dream of, even if many of those men have decidedly middle class lifestyles by Western standards.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 11:05:46 AM »
Wow!  I just assumed they found the most glaring examples of what men do wrong and used them for the entertainment value in the show. 

I must admit I am shocked how the agencies selling these tours convince guys who have zero dating skills in the USA that they will be rock stars in Ukraine or other overseas markets.  But I guess some people believe a Nigerian Prince is going to deposit a hundred million dollars in their bank account too.  I suppose at some point people just are willing to believe anything.

If you go back to my list

Here are the main problems that the men made as I see it.
1. They bought into the agency hype.
2. They used a pay by the letter agency

In a pay by the letter agency, I will get letters from 19 year old girls who look
like a Sports Illustrated Swim suit models. I am knowledgeable enough to know
that HOT 19 year old girls don't write to old gits like me. They don't write to ANYBODY
first. They have all the attention they can handle already.

Why would I get letters from these girls? because the agency charges $10 for each
letter back and forth. The girl doesn't even read the letters and might not know she
is a member of the agency. If she does know she gets $2.00 for each letter and the
translator girls or guys do all the writing and they can paste letters together faster
than you can believe.

So what is a guy to do?

What this forum does is we educates men who want to learn how to navigate the waters
of seeking, pursuing and marrying an FSUW. If a guy wants to learn how to avoid the
pitfalls, perils and dangers then he can come here and start reading.

One of the first places that I recommend is to learn the Ten Commandments here.
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=1740.0

Then I recommend reading the FAQs and the free online book. Then there is a book
written available on Amazon that I recommend as well. Then they should read all the
trip reports.

Once a guy does this, things will start falling into place. The process doesn't seem so
cRaZy.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Boethius

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »
Also, RWD's ebook, edited by our very own Sandro.  ;)
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=47

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »
Pretty much.  They have more resources than those women, a lifestyle most can only dream of, even if many of those men have decidedly middle class lifestyles by Western standards.

Once a woman gets to be a certain age and let's say she's slim and cute but not
gorgeous or beautiful and she is divorced with a child many FSUM treat those women
like milk that has passed the expiration date.

What you say is 100% true for a 25 year old girl with no kids. A 37 to 40+ year old with
a child has very few viable local options for marriage and a family. Don't get me wrong
there are still men who would happily bed them (without a condom) and lay on the
couch getting waited on hand and foot until a different girl crosses their path, but the
prospect for marriage and a family are significantly less likely.

They aren't just trading youth and beauty for a better lifestyle they are also trading
nearly certain loneliness for companionship and a family. 

FSUW don't do vague

Offline Boethius

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
Which is why I posted this -
You have to differentiate, as well, between women who have never married and those that are older and divorced, or single with children.  In the latter cases, their options of remarriage in the FSU are generally limited, and that is
why they look abroad

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »
I think that the average marriage tour goer theory on how to pick a wife
is one of the following.

You immediately become engaged to ..........
1. The hottest girl who will pay attention to you
2. The first girl to drop her knickers.

Bonus points if she speaks zero English and if you've known her less than a week.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:55:24 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2015, 08:52:20 PM »
You immediately become engaged to ..........
1. The hottest girl who will pay attention to you
2. The first girl to drop her knickers.

Bonus points if she speaks zero English and if you've known her less than a week.

Mind you, I would award even more bonus points in the above scenario if she does speak good English and is STILL prepared to go with you.

Offline TagUrIt898

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2015, 11:14:28 PM »
I watched it on the recommendation of a friend. It's about the pursuit by several different men of an FSUW.  It's a documentary and it was actually really good.  It's shows quite a few aspects of the journey and struggle one can take in pursuing an FSUW.  For those of his here on this board, I think you will enjoy it.

Tag

Offline Miquel Westano

• Restricted
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2015, 07:05:53 AM »
I watched it on the recommendation of a friend. It's about the pursuit by several different men of an FSUW.  It's a documentary and it was actually really good.  It's shows quite a few aspects of the journey and struggle one can take in pursuing an FSUW.  For those of his here on this board, I think you will enjoy it.

Tag

I found it fascinating as well.  I wish there were more documentaries on this subject.  I get tired of watching the mating habits of the snow beetle and other garbage like that on Netflix. 

This is a multi billion dollar industry with two distinct sides and many other fuzzy angles.  It is so complex it may be too hard to make an unbiased and informative documentary that is fair and shows all the variables.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
I found it fascinating as well.  I wish there were more documentaries on this subject.  I get tired of watching the mating habits of the snow beetle and other garbage like that on Netflix. 

This is a multi billion dollar industry with two distinct sides and many other fuzzy angles.  It is so complex it may be too hard to make an unbiased and informative documentary that is fair and shows all the variables.

Actually, there is quite a few of like programs if you look. You might have some success on youtube

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »
There's a thread about the Netflix movie "Love Me" here

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=19459.0

FSUW don't do vague

Offline Miquel Westano

• Restricted
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
There's a thread about the Netflix movie "Love Me" here

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=19459.0

That one was me, Bill.  I loved that documentary.  I have watched everything I can find on this.  As an outsider looking in, I have found it fascinating and I think the guys who go are for the most part not mentally ill, socially inept or dregs.  I just think they are guys willing to go the extra to be happy.  But I always see the glass half full.

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2015, 07:02:52 AM »
There is a French film from the mid 90's (I think) about a guy who makes every mistake possible dating a Russian woman, gets lost, gets drunk, gets in argument with a policeman, etc. Yet manages to fall in love I think with the translator and they live happily ever after on his chateau.

Any one remember the title?
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »
The one with the two brother farmers? I think that it too is "Love Me". When I first saw this thread I thought that was the flick they were discussing then I flipped over to Netflix and saw the new one.

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
There is a French film from the mid 90's (I think) about a guy who makes every mistake possible dating a Russian woman, gets lost, gets drunk, gets in argument with a policeman, etc. Yet manages to fall in love I think with the translator and they live happily ever after on his chateau.

Any one remember the title?

The one with the two brother farmers? I think that it too is "Love Me". When I first saw this thread I thought that was the flick they were discussing then I flipped over to Netflix and saw the new one.

I haven't seen the French film but I have seen the one with the two brothers who are farmers. It has been released I think under two different names: "Two Brothers and a Bride" and "A Foreign Affair". It stars Tim Blake Nelson, Emily Mortimer, and David Arquette. I think it was filmed on location in St. Petersburg, where the two brothers go on a tour. Bit of trivia: Emily Mortimer says her lines well in Russian because she actually speaks Russian. She learned it at Oxford.

If you're in this search I recommend it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305583/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2015, 07:27:14 AM »
As I remember the film was in French and Russian, with undertitling to English & Russian/French depending on the language being spoken.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline yaricksl

• Spouse's Country: Kyrgyzstan
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
Is there a way to watch besides Netflix?
Åñëè äåëà èäóò ïëîõî íå õîäè ñ íèìè.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843