It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302702 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:05 AM »
Even more amazing is that you found a man who can walk on water.

Look closer. He only thought he could. He was about to make his first step.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:54:59 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »

Last Wednesday I joined a gym. The owner opened the gym this last summer. His name is Pavel and will be 61  years old in February.

Today (Monday) was the first day for my legs. I wanted to see how strong they are so I kept or rather Pavel kept adding weight set after set. On my 6th set I was up to 200 KG (440 pounds) and I pressed it 14 times before hitting maxx. Next time I go back I will see what I can do with 220 Kilos.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:51:30 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2017, 08:47:25 AM »
I have a theory about the best way to lose weight and look your best. The best way to lose weight is forget about how you look or how much you weigh but rather concentrate on get stronger. Get to the gym and forget the scales. Keep meticulous track of what exercises you do, what the weights you lift or push, how many sets you do and how many repetitions in each set. Eat as clean as possible. Protein is God. Then each time you go back to the gym bring your workout book. Make it the goal to maximize the numbers of added weights and repetitions in your workouts. Work on getting stronger and building muscle and the fat will be taken care of. I did this before, it really worked.

Offline kynrazor

• Always optimistic :)
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
I have a theory about the best way to lose weight and look your best. The best way to lose weight is forget about how you look or how much you weigh but rather concentrate on get stronger. Get to the gym and forget the scales. Keep meticulous track of what exercises you do, what the weights you lift or push, how many sets you do and how many repetitions in each set. Eat as clean as possible. Protein is God. Then each time you go back to the gym bring your workout book. Make it the goal to maximize the numbers of added weights and repetitions in your workouts. Work on getting stronger and building muscle and the fat will be taken care of. I did this before, it really worked.

Should be simple physics. Eating more calories than burnt by your metabolism (base + exercise) = Fat gain. All that excess unused energy from food must go somewhere and the human body doesn't dump it as waste but stores it.

That said, everyone needs some amount of fat both in the body and in the diet to keep their organs functioning optimally. Eg. Not enough fat = liver damage, Too much fat = liver damage  :rolleyes: Skipping fat is unhealthy Maxx  :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:32:29 AM by kynrazor »
Sincerely,
Kyn

Offline treadmilldude

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
Maxx, I am confused on one thing. Is that YOU in the picture? Or is that the 61 year-old gym owner in the picture? You did not make that point clear at all. Whoever is in that pic has good muscle tone and looks far better than the average 61 YO Man. If it is you, Maxx, you look good!!  :)

Georgia looks beautiful by the way. I watched a 90 minute or so documentary on youtube last weekend about the life and times of Joseph Stalin put together by the BBC. It was great, and I learned a lot about Stalin. The guy was born and raised in Georgia, I never knew that!!

It is a long documentary, but was very well done. I learned a lot.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »
Maxx, I am confused on one thing. Is that YOU in the picture? Or is that the 61 year-old gym owner in the picture? You did not make that point clear at all. Whoever is in that pic has good muscle tone and looks far better than the average 61 YO Man. If it is you, Maxx, you look good!!  :)

Georgia looks beautiful by the way. I watched a 90 minute or so documentary on youtube last weekend about the life and times of Joseph Stalin put together by the BBC. It was great, and I learned a lot about Stalin. The guy was born and raised in Georgia, I never knew that!!

It is a long documentary, but was very well done. I learned a lot.

That is the owner of the gym. He is a nice guy. No pretension, no swagger. He'll be 61 in February.

Stalin was born in Gori Georgia about a 50 minute drive from where I used to live in Tbilisi Georgia. Before the Communist Revolution he had been in and out of prison for various criminal activities including bank robbery.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
Should be simple physics. Eating more calories than burnt by your metabolism (base + exercise) = Fat gain. All that excess unused energy from food must go somewhere and the human body doesn't dump it as waste but stores it.

That said, everyone needs some amount of fat both in the body and in the diet to keep their organs functioning optimally. Eg. Not enough fat = liver damage, Too much fat = liver damage  :rolleyes: Skipping fat is unhealthy Maxx  :D

I definitely eat fat. I used olive oil especially when I cook my eggs. It is supposed to neutralize the cholesterol.

My theory about losing weight and looking great is NOT to concentrate on that but rather in getting stronger. Best way to lose weight is not the best way to lose weight. Recently it has been proven that short duration extreme exercise like sprints taken to the max that a person can do, is the best way to burn calories/fat. However other studies show that people do not stick to such programs and quit. And watching a scale can be quite discouraging. So just work on getting stronger and the weight will drop off.

Offline kynrazor

« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »

My theory about losing weight and looking great is NOT to concentrate on that but rather in getting stronger. Best way to lose weight is not the best way to lose weight.

Hmm, mind over matter  :clapping:
Sincerely,
Kyn

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2017, 03:15:26 AM »
I am serious on the post above.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »
Nice thread maxx. Awesome pictures! I take it 'photography' to be a new hobby, no?

But beyond this, how is it like to be retired living where you are, as in finding things to do with your time that is FWIW 'living out of your comfort or element? Do you eat out a lot vs do you cook at home most of the time? When you wake up in the morning, do you have a daily routine or schedule you follow, or do you basically flow where the wind blows?

I'd be interested to read what your take is on this. Was there a lot of getting used to, or did things basically came naturally for you, etc..is it easy for you, or the natives, to find commonalities and/or interests that evolved in good friendships?

I was basically a kid when I arrived stateside and I can still remember the trials and tribulations of acclimation. The overwhelming feeling of 'newness' of everything 'American', etc...I'm wondering how it is like from the other side of that 'age spectrum', you know?

Heck, I'm thinking if we ever moved to Kansas, I'd probably get a bit of a culture shock, and that's not to demean the city of Angels.

Anyway, it'd be nice to hear these things from you and your observations...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:16:34 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2017, 07:02:29 AM »

I am glad GQ you checked back. I was hoping you would ask me questions like you did above. I have been thinking about them for the past two days and what a good response would be for them. I will soon post a in-depth analysis of what it is like to become an ex-pat. We need to discuss the stages of culture shock and so on. As krnrazor so accurately stated up thread, most of it is "mind over matter."

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
I am glad GQ you checked back. I was hoping you would ask me questions like you did above. I have been thinking about them for the past two days and what a good response would be for them. I will soon post a in-depth analysis of what it is like to become an ex-pat. We need to discuss the stages of culture shock and so on. As krnrazor so accurately stated up thread, most of it is "mind over matter."

Hiya Maxx-

I took a crash course on drone technology. Next step is getting my certification. We are applying drone technology unto our business and it's amazing what these things can do these days. Field surveying/engineering will soon disappear.

I never realize that you don't manually fly these things - in essence. All via GPS. Plot points (grid/coordinates) on your control station (Smartphone, iPad, PC, etc...), give it height (elevation), degree of resolution, etc...and just push fly baby, fly!, suckers starts, hover, flies through the required pattern, then comes back to its launch point and lands itself. Automatically dumps data to its depot. Sucker weighs 4 pounds...Exciting stuff, man.

Anywho...back to you. Yeah, it would be fairly interesting to get your experience/perspective on this. Almost like a journal and not necessarily on a daily basis but rather things of significance to you. I had a 2-year running journal when I first arrived here before (some of it I now have a somewhat hard time reading because I wrote it in Tagalog. I literally have to pause for language refresh) and makes for an illuminating moment reading it these days.

I take it being so close to the sea, unlike MN, you guys have a mild winter in comparison, yes?
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
I will soon post a in-depth analysis of what it is like to become an ex-pat. We need to discuss the stages of culture shock and so on. As krnrazor so accurately stated up thread, most of it is "mind over matter."

Maxx, don't get culture shock. When you move to a new country, YOU have to shock the culture.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline kynrazor

« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2017, 04:13:15 AM »

Maxx, don't get culture shock. When you move to a new country, YOU have to shock the culture.

As in becoming the next president of Georgia? :D
Sincerely,
Kyn

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2017, 01:26:50 AM »
As in becoming the next president of Georgia? :D

I'll have to get citizenship first. I heard that is not too difficult to do. Georgia after the reform is one of the least bureaucratic nations on this earth.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2017, 02:12:57 AM »
I'll have to get citizenship first. I heard that is not too difficult to do.

Do it.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2017, 02:17:07 AM »
Nice thread maxx. Awesome pictures! I take it 'photography' to be a new hobby, no?

But beyond this, how is it like to be retired living where you are, as in finding things to do with your time that is FWIW 'living out of your comfort or element? Do you eat out a lot vs do you cook at home most of the time? When you wake up in the morning, do you have a daily routine or schedule you follow, or do you basically flow where the wind blows?

I'd be interested to read what your take is on this. Was there a lot of getting used to, or did things basically came naturally for you, etc..is it easy for you, or the natives, to find commonalities and/or interests that evolved in good friendships?

I was basically a kid when I arrived stateside and I can still remember the trials and tribulations of acclimation. The overwhelming feeling of 'newness' of everything 'American', etc...I'm wondering how it is like from the other side of that 'age spectrum', you know?

Heck, I'm thinking if we ever moved to Kansas, I'd probably get a bit of a culture shock, and that's not to demean the city of Angels.

Anyway, it'd be nice to hear these things from you and your observations...

I arrived to Tbilisi Georgia November 27th 2015 on a one way ticket. I had no place to stay as I figured I would wrangle an apartment once I got there. After staying at the Red Fox hostel for a week I was off to an Iranian owned hotel called the "Hotel Nice." which wasn't so nice. The cook, an Iranian, in the downstairs restaurant took a dislike to me when after waiting more 15 minutes to try and place my order I walked out. I made no scene, I just walked out and went to another restaurant. After that he wouldn't cook for me.

After about two weeks of my arrival I got a case of Montezuma's revenge Davit Agmashenebeli the 4th's revenge. This was serious because I couldn't leave my room. But the discovery of something called Loperamide (It glues everything together) and after another week or so went by I had built up an immunity, which I have to this day.

In the hotel lobby taxi drivers used to hang out. I met this one Georgian taxi driver called Mamooka. He spoke very broken English. He had a friend named Givi who spoke English at near fluent levels.  He found me an apartment near where he and his family lived. I rented from a Georgian woman named Taya. The rent was $350 a month. My total cost of utilities per month including electric, gas, water, trash, cell phone and 4 G internet came to about $50 a month. Meals at restaurants usually about $3 to $6. Haircut about $2.50. Taxi ride halfway across town 5 GEL or $2. The stress of having enough money was finally off of me. In fact I could save half of my Social Security every month.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:23:37 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »

Do it.

At the corner cafe is an Italian chef. We got to talking the other day. He told me I could get Italian citizenship as my maternal grandmother is 100% Sicilian Italian. It would be cool to have 3 passports and be a citizen of 3 countries and the EU.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:33:51 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2017, 02:41:43 AM »

I already am. Yesterday using my Yankee ingenuity and entrepreneurial instincts I proposed to a private school principal a new way of teaching English. We would teach English to Russian and Georgian speaking school children using English speaking and subtitled films and TV shows. I showed her what I brought with me to do this. I had this idea a few years ago.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2017, 02:43:44 AM »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2017, 02:48:27 AM »

The above photo is from my first apartment. We of course would look for films and TV shows that would appeal to mid to older teens. There is this 18 year old born in Moscow but moved to LA when he was a baby and lived there until recently that will help us. He works at the school occasionally. The school principal was enthused about my idea.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2017, 03:01:26 AM »
Hi Maxx

I think you should investigate this Italian citizenship route...  This might help you as some ladies would prefer Europe to N.America and will open up your options re travel and ladies ;)

Maxx for President ( of Georgia)

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2017, 03:58:39 AM »
Hi Maxx

I think you should investigate this Italian citizenship route...  This might help you as some ladies would prefer Europe to N.America and will open up your options re travel and ladies ;)

Maxx for President ( of Georgia)

I like your thinking! It would also make me more intriguing. An international man.

Got to go to the gym now. Back and triceps day.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2017, 11:09:43 AM »
...Meals at restaurants usually about $3 to $6. Haircut about $2.50. Taxi ride halfway across town 5 GEL or $2. The stress of having enough money was finally off of me. In fact I could save half of my Social Security every month....

:shock:

For less than 10 bucks, you're fed while branding a new 'do! Awesome, man! 10 bucks is not even enough as 'tip' when I get my haircut. Hahah!

I'm glad you seem to be settling in nicely out there. Your community participation is wonderful thing, especially when it contribute to the population at large by teaching English.

Keep up the reporting, maxx. Wonderful read!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1866
Total: 1877

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM