It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302195 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #700 on: November 02, 2018, 08:50:02 AM »
do people there park their cars overnight on the street?

when I lived in Sevastopol, NO ONE did that
at a very minimum tires and battery would be gone next morning

Very little thieving here. Most cars do not have cars alarms and people leave things of value in them. Motorcycles and motor scooters are left out over night parked on the sidewalks or in back alleys. My workout trainer leaves his motorcycle parked out over night outside his gym. I see pots of fancy plants sitting outside of businesses that anyone could pick up and take. I mentioned the possibility of a Georgian mafia to two Georgians I know. They both laughed that I would think that there could be such a possibility. Georgia used be very corrupt until Saakachvili laid down the law, fired all the traffic police, made arrests and imprisonments of corrupt officials and gave those with criminal histories 30 days to leave the country or go to prison. Now it feels very safe to walk the streets at night. I've read comments from Western women who have spent time here say they feel safer in Georgia than they do back home. 

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #701 on: November 02, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »
that's totally amazing to me
two such different societies
Georgia and Russia/Ukraine

mafia is a nuanced term
doesn't really mean the "New York Goodfellas" kind
although it can

it can also mean, a shadowy group that controls a particular resource within a particular territory
like garages
ultimately, there will be a connection to real Goodfellas
it's called "Krisha"

this means Georgia businesses don't have Krishas either
wow!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #702 on: November 02, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »

this means Georgia businesses don't have Krishas either
wow!

I am in the planning stage of starting a business here. I'll let you know what I find out.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #703 on: November 03, 2018, 04:49:24 AM »
that's totally amazing to me
two such different societies
Georgia and Russia/Ukraine

The grey door on the left is my door. One Russian woman Airbnb guest said in a review of my apartment, "It looked frightening on the outside! But is was very, very nice on the inside!" I agree. This morning I went into the hallway and noticed I had left the door open. It was noticeably open all night. Nobody came in and took my things. People of course lock their doors here but I don't notice any special precautions taken other than the tradition bars on the lower stories windows. Just an old holdover from the Soviet times.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #704 on: November 04, 2018, 12:35:28 AM »

топленые (baked) растительные (vegetable) масла (oil). But you can't always rely on a literal translation because it seems more like Ghee (Ghi) as was mentioned a few pages back.

Maxx, I do recognize a couple of bottles in the photo with the lady seller. Georgians produce an amazing assortment of sauces from plums. From dark to medium to light and each has its own degree of "heat" to mild flavour. Used mostly for meats.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #705 on: November 04, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
"It looked frightening on the outside! But is was very, very nice on the inside!" I agree.

Seems to be the theme of most apartments in the FSU. Run down on the outside and cozy on the inside. Many times walking down a hallway or a flight a stairs to my apartment, lightbulbs are all burned out, and there's the smell of piss is in the air but the inside of the apartment is well taken care of. People take care of their homes well but outside their front door, nobody will change a lightbulb or mop up the blood someone dripped on the stairs.

I'd give the outside of the apartment a paint job. You may even start a trend which would improve things around there.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #706 on: November 04, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
I'd give the outside of the apartment a paint job. You may even start a trend which would improve things around there.

This is true.

I talked one of wife's relatives into painting the entire 4 story stairwell and steps of his apartment building.  They were on 4th and final floor.  He and other relatives thought it would be a waste of money and voiced the standard FSU refrain that it wasn't their responsibility.

However, within the next year all of the other owners had replaced or painted their entrance doors, put out new mats, generally spiffied up the common areas and established a schedule for who would sweep and wash the steps.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #707 on: November 04, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
Seems to be the theme of most apartments in the FSU.

BillyB

They have built new apartments since you last visited the FSU ... not everyone lives in Stalin / Khrushchev era blocks

Ours in Sochi has a garden. benches, marble floors in the foyer and the stairs - is neatly decorated and is cleaned every day ..and no adverts in the pristine lift ( elevator)

They have a minimum of 2 Cat 5e network points to each apartment

I've seen some of Maxx's rentals in the off -peak and they were stunning locations and wonderful

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #708 on: November 05, 2018, 01:20:44 AM »
This is true.

I talked one of wife's relatives into painting the entire 4 story stairwell and steps of his apartment building.  They were on 4th and final floor.  He and other relatives thought it would be a waste of money and voiced the standard FSU refrain that it wasn't their responsibility.

However, within the next year all of the other owners had replaced or painted their entrance doors, put out new mats, generally spiffied up the common areas and established a schedule for who would sweep and wash the steps.

That is truly an inspirational story you told. Thank you for telling it!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #709 on: November 06, 2018, 01:20:43 AM »

I took this yesterday. Besides the potholes note the leaves on the grapevines haven't changed color yet. Autumn come late and spring early in the Republic of Georgia. In 9 days I will be living in beautiful subtropical Butumi.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #710 on: November 06, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »
BillyB

They have built new apartments since you last visited the FSU ... not everyone lives in Stalin / Khrushchev era blocks

Do the new apartments have special lightbulbs in the stairwells that never burn out and thus never need replacing? BTW, I own a couple of new, never occupied apartments in brand new buildings.

I took this yesterday. Besides the potholes note the leaves on the grapevines haven't changed color yet. Autumn come late and spring early in the Republic of Georgia. In 9 days I will be living in beautiful subtropical Butumi.

If you have potholes you want filled to improve areas surrounding your property, use cold patch otherwise the potholes will get bigger. It's a do it yourself fix and it's easy to shovel and level out while cold. You may be able to get it from your local asphalt plant or in a hardware store.

http://www.coldasphalt.com/
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #711 on: November 06, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
Do the new apartments have special lightbulbs in the stairwells that never burn out and thus never need replacing? BTW, I own a couple of new, never occupied apartments in brand new buildings.

If that is the case then why did you post daft, before?

If one uses good quality long life low energy bulbs, no problem with longevity

Perhaps you bought blind  in an area subject to power surges?

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #712 on: November 06, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
If you have potholes you want filled to improve areas surrounding your property, use cold patch otherwise the potholes will get bigger. It's a do it yourself fix and it's easy to shovel and level out while cold. You may be able to get it from your local asphalt plant or in a hardware store.

BillyB-

I seriously doubt they'd have this in Georgia. The country not the state anyway...Fast fix though. Maxx should be neighborly and get less than a ton of AC, clean the surface, apply tack, then shovel in the AC. Tamp a bit then apply a nice coat of seal coat. His neighbors would love him for it.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Online krimster2

« Reply #713 on: November 06, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
maxx

zaboot fixing stuff

if you can find a pre-85 UAZ 469 grab it and put the biggest tires on it that will fit, or have custom made rims!
and upgrade the suspension
Russian cars designed for Russia understand what means "road"
no pothole or even bomb crater will ever be more than a little bump!
plus it looks bad ass to be tearing around in this, keep it stock of course

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #714 on: November 06, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
BillyB-

I seriously doubt they'd have this in Georgia. The country not the state anyway...Fast fix though. Maxx should be neighborly and get less than a ton of AC, clean the surface, apply tack, then shovel in the AC. Tamp a bit then apply a nice coat of seal coat. His neighbors would love him for it.

Actually I have giving it some consideration in fixing the potholes. I enjoy being seen as "A strange American!" and bring community responsible is certainty strange. But I'll be out of here in a week and might not be back.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #715 on: November 06, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
His neighbors would love him for it.

Luv him long time?(pun intended)

BillyB-

I seriously doubt they'd have this in Georgia. The country not the state anyway...Fast fix though. Maxx should be neighborly and get less than a ton of AC, clean the surface, apply tack, then shovel in the AC. Tamp a bit then apply a nice coat of seal coat.

I hate to recommend hot mix to people who's never done it. If not used fast enough, Maxx may have a 1000 lb rock stuck in the bed of his truck. I've used hot and cold mix after working in the streets. If Maxx decided to go for hot mix, I can give him pointers on how to keep it hot, keep it from sticking to the delivery vehicle, and an easy way to heat the tack.

If one uses good quality long life low energy bulbs, no problem with longevity

Fluorescent and LED last a long time. It's the other components that's used with those lighting sources that are designed to fail early to keep consumers buying over and over again.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #716 on: November 06, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
...I hate to recommend hot mix to people who's never done it. If not used fast enough, Maxx may have a 1000 lb rock stuck in the bed of his truck. I've used hot and cold mix after working in the streets. If Maxx decided to go for hot mix, I can give him pointers on how to keep it hot, keep it from sticking to the delivery vehicle, and an easy way to heat the tack.

Nah, cold mix will do, BillyB. Pot holes. Looking at the picture, I can rough out about 50 SF +/- @ 3" thk. = .93 ton. Short load. Bucket of tar and a mop. You can torch it at every 3-4" as you shovel the AC down and tamp. Then seal...

2 hours, tops... :P
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #717 on: November 06, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »
Nah, cold mix will do, BillyB. Pot holes. Looking at the picture, I can rough out about 50 SF +/- @ 3" thk. = .93 ton. Short load. Bucket of tar and a mop. You can torch it at every 3-4" as you shovel the AC down and tamp. Then seal...

2 hours, tops... :P

I think I need to buy you guys side-by-side seats on an airliner bound for Georgia.  :P

5 AM here and I am up and wondering how the election is going? It doesn't look good on the DRUDGE report.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #718 on: November 06, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
Don't think that potholes will be a big problem in Batumi. Roads in Georgia are far better than in Ukraine, and in rural areas of Russia.

Nice housing in Batumi.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #719 on: November 06, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #720 on: November 06, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »

This place is called the Colosseum. Out front is two green bronze statues of Rome's Romulus and Remus. The next building to the right of these buildings is where I will be staying at for the next six months. It is the modern ORBI Residence building known for it's curvy sides. I'll be on the 15th floor with an apartment nearest the Sea. Beautiful views! I'll be leaving for there in 8 days.

Actually the other photo mendeleyev posted is where I will be living next to. The Colosseum is the next building to the left of that one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:44:12 PM by Maxx2 »

Online krimster2

« Reply #721 on: November 06, 2018, 07:47:37 PM »
Maxx

what is the AC power situation there, are there any blackouts? if so beware elevators

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #722 on: November 06, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
Maxx

what is the AC power situation there, are there any blackouts? if so beware elevators

Yes, they happen about once every few months. Usually the power is back on within a few hours. The building I will be living at (I have lived there before) has emergency generators for the elevators and hallway lights.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #723 on: November 06, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
5 AM here and I am up and wondering how the election is going? It doesn't look good on the DRUDGE report.

Right now just after 7PM Pacific time, Republicans are highly favored to maintain majority in the Senate. Democrats are likely to take the House. If Republicans keep the Senate and Democrats take the House, it won't be considered a blue wave, but a ripple. Still a long way to go before the final tally.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #724 on: November 06, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »
Don't think that potholes will be a big problem in Batumi. Roads in Georgia are far better than in Ukraine, and in rural areas of Russia.

I got some stories to tell you about that! (With photos!)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1979
Total: 1989

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM