It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: How much clothing did your wife bring?  (Read 26534 times)

Offline kerouac

Re: How much clothing did your wife bring?
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2010, 06:10:40 AM »
Well, it's not easy moving from one country to another with only your suitcase. I was in the reverse situation. I moved to Russia! And I took plenty of clothes. The first time I flew over I had to pay excess baggage. The subsequent times I managed to squeeze just under their allowance. I think the best advice is to make several trips in 12 months. That way, you don't get so homesick. Plus, you can bring your clothes and other stuff in parts. I mean, you don't need winter clothes in summer and vice versa.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:38:20 PM by Vaughn »

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
Moderators (Vaughn, Boethius), how about changing this thread title to either:

- How MANY clothes did your wife bring?
- How much CLOTHING did your wife bring?

:( ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:38:47 PM by Vaughn »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Enot

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2010, 05:24:38 AM »
One suitcase so not much ... and that was lost for 2 weeks so we spent a lot of time shopping the first 2 weeks she was here.  Everytime we go back to her country, we bring more clothes back.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:39:10 PM by Vaughn »
Just stating my opinion!  You don't have to agree with it.

Offline Vaughn

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Moderators (Vaughn, Boethius), how about changing this thread title to either:

- How MANY clothes did your wife bring?
- How much CLOTHING did your wife bring?

:( ;D

Working on that, Sandro ~ Pages One, Four and Five are corrected....  I'll need a period of time to
finish Two and Three....

Update: Mission Accomplished
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:03:30 PM by Vaughn »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »
Working on that, Sandro ~ Pages One, Four and Five are corrected....  I'll need a period of time to finish Two and Three....
Update: Mission Accomplished
:applaud: :whew:

There once was a thread on display
With a title that caused dismay.
But up stepped Vaughn,
And from that moment on,
Grammar was no longer at bay.
:D
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Aloe

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2010, 06:15:56 AM »
Now im confused. Clothes are countable? So you can say i have 3 clothes ? (2 jeans and a blouse?)

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2010, 06:55:56 AM »
She brought one large suitcase and one small one. So far so good. More to follow when I have time.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2010, 08:07:49 AM »
Now im confused. Clothes are countable? So you can say i have 3 clothes ? (2 jeans and a blouse?)
No Aloe, clothes is a mass noun:
In linguistics, a mass noun (also uncountable noun or non-count noun) is a common noun that presents entities as an unbounded mass. Given that different languages have different grammatical resources, the actual test for which nouns are mass nouns may vary between languages. In English, mass nouns are characterized by the fact that they cannot be directly modified by a numeral without specifying a unit of measurement, and that they cannot combine with an indefinite article (a or an). Thus, the mass noun "water" is quantified as "20 liters of water" while the count noun "chair" is quantified as "20 chairs." However, mass nouns (like count nouns) can be quantified in relative terms without unit specification (e.g., "much water," "many chairs").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_noun

It also happens to be a plurale tantum:
A plurale tantum (Latin for in the plural only; plural form: pluralia tantum) is a noun that appears only in the plural form and does not have a singular variant for referring to a single object. Many languages have pluralia tantum, such as the English words clothes, scissors, pants, and trousers, the Russian word "den'gi" [деньги] ("money"), the Swedish word inälvor ("intestines"), or the Dutch word hersenen ("brains").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurale_tantum

Its singular counterparts clothing and apparel should be used when in need to express counts, such as: 3 items of clothing, 2 pieces of apparel, etc.   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:15:30 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline rambler

« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2010, 12:01:32 PM »
Aloe, short answer
I have 3 articles of clothing,
a lot a clothes,
few clothes,
many clothes...
My wife never has enough clothes
never too many clothes ... ; >)
always needs more clothes. 
Money is similar btw ... 
Woman: "How do you write women so well?" Melvin: "I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability." Jack Nicholson in As Good as it Gets, 1997.

Offline Aloe

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2010, 02:15:31 AM »
No Aloe, clothes is a mass noun:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_noun

It also happens to be a plurale tantum:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurale_tantum

Its singular counterparts clothing and apparel should be used when in need to express counts, such as: 3 items of clothing, 2 pieces of apparel, etc.   
that doesnt explain why "many clothes"? Or did i miss it :) It says "much water", so why not "much clothes"?

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »
that doesnt explain why "many clothes"? Or did i miss it :) It says "much water", so why not "much clothes"?
Because of grammatical-number concordance: clothes is a plural.

The problem lies in the fact that much is the only English adjective, IINM, that also has a distinct plural form (many), and therefore must be made to agree with the grammatical number of the noun it refers to.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline mies

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:08 AM »

Sandro will probably correct me, but to me this case looks similar to "people".
You do not say "much people", instead you say "many people". Because "people" is a group of several (few or many) individuals, each individual is perfectly functional and independent member of "people" group. Therefore we say many. If the group of dead people were homogenized - then we can probably say "much people", but then probably the "people" part would be improper for identification.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »
Sandro will probably correct me, but to me this case looks similar to "people". You do not say "much people", instead you say "many people". Because "people" is a group of several (few or many) individuals, each individual is perfectly functional and independent member of "people" group. Therefore we say many. If the group of dead people were homogenized - then we can probably say "much people", but then probably the "people" part would be improper for identification.
People is?/are?  :-\ more complicated ;D, the case of a word with 2 similar but different meanings and therefore usages:

1. A noun referring to a non-specific group of individuals - like люди in Russian IINM.
2. A noun referring to a specific group of individuals (e.g. inhabitants, ethnics, etc.).

In case 1, it's a singulare tantum, i.e. a singular-only noun referring to a plurality (collective noun) and subjected to synesis (notional/situational agreement):
Synesis is a traditional grammatical/rhetorical term derived from Greek σύνεσις (originally meaning "unification, meeting, sense, conscience, insight, realization, mind, reason"). A constructio kata synesin (or constructio ad sensum in Latin) means a grammatical construction in which a word takes the gender or number not of the word with which it should regularly agree, but of some other word implied in that word. It is effectively an agreement of words with the sense, instead of the morphosyntactic form.

Example: If the band is popular, they will play next month.

Here, the plural pronoun they refers to the singular noun band. One can think of the antecedent of they as an implied plural noun such as musicians.

Such use in English grammar is often called notional agreement, because the agreement is with the notion of what the noun means, rather than the strict grammatical form of the noun. The term situational agreement is also found, since the same word may take a singular or plural verb depending on the intended emphasis of the speaker or writer; so:
The government is united. (Implication: it is a single cohesive body, with a single agreed policy).
The government are divided. (Implication: it is made up of different individuals, with their own different policy views).

Notional agreement for collective nouns is very common in British English. It is less customary in American English, but may sometimes be found after phrases of the type "a collective noun of plural nouns". Fowler (3e, 1996) cites for example
... a multitude of elements were intertwined (New York Review of Books).
... the majority of all the shareholdings are in the hands of women. (Daedalus).
... a handful of bathers were bobbing about in the waves. (Philip Roth)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesis
As such, it usually requires the plural for concordance: many people are coming. The above band example is an interesting case of situational concordance where both singular and plural are used (If the band are popular would be grammatically correct but does not really sound right). As also mentioned above, British and American usage do not always agree (the Police are investigating..., the Police is investigating...). In the last 3 examples, what determined the use of the plural verb was probably the 'semantic pull' exerted by the following 'natural' plurals (elements, shareholdings, bathers).

In case 2, it's a 'normal' noun: the people of Italy is often swarthy, the peoples of Europe are united.

On the other hand, we have data as an example of a 3-faced noun :D:
Data is a plural of datum, which is originally a Latin noun meaning “something given.” Today, data is used in English both:

(1) as a plural noun meaning “facts or pieces of information” (These data are described more fully elsewhere) and
(2) as a singular mass noun meaning “information”: Not much data is available on flood control in Brazil. It is almost always treated as a plural in scientific and academic writing. In other types of writing it is either singular or plural. The singular datum meaning “a piece of information” is now rare in all types of writing.
(3) In surveying and civil engineering, where datum has specialized senses, the plural form is datums.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/data

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:27:17 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline mies

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »
People is?/are?  :-\ more complicated ;D, the case of a word with 2 similar but different meanings and therefore usages:

1. A noun referring to a non-specific group of individuals - like люди in Russian IINM.
2. A noun referring to a specific group of individuals (e.g. inhabitants, ethnics, etc.).

thank you, Sandro. Of course I know about 2 different meanings - therefore I specified which one of the meaning I was talking about. The rest - is very interesting, and indeed educating. I like to learn the history and evolution of the language.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:27:15 AM by mies »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
"many" is for measurable (countable) nouns, while "much" is for uncountable nouns.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2010, 10:46:19 AM »
Well, this:
If the group of dead people were homogenized
sounded a wee bit ghoulish ;D.
but then probably the "people" part would be improper for identification.
Yes, probably very hard to identify a group of homogenized dead, a forensic nightmare 8).
:D :D
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:29 AM »
"many" is for measurable (countable) nouns, while "much" is for uncountable nouns.
Almost, but not quite ;):
SingularPlural
CountableMuch appleMany apples
Non-countableMuch moneyMany clothes
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline mies

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2010, 11:07:53 AM »
Well, this:sounded a wee bit ghoulish ;D
i agree. was merely rephrasing my biochemistry professor "let's take a mouse and make homogenate".
extra humor is contained in this phrase considering my nickname on this forum.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:12:01 AM by mies »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »
extra humor is contained in this phrase considering my nickname on this forum.
Care to explain ::)? What I get for MIES is Metastable Impact Electron Spectroscopy, and a municipality in the district of Nyon in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland:

I don't think either much applies to you ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Seeker

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
Care to explain ::)? What I get for MIES is Metastable Impact Electron Spectroscopy, and a municipality in the district of Nyon in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland:

I don't think either much applies to you ;).

I was wondering the same thing... Bing and Google were of little help.   :-[
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert A. Heinlein

Offline mies

« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
it's the name of Dutch origin http://www.ourbabynamer.com/meaning-of-Mies.html.
I guess it was an "insider joke" from a different crowd- the original meaning of the name was somehow substituted by "mice" - "muis".

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2010, 06:30:20 AM »
I want to play with mies  :)
So my answers for her game are : who is stylish (sorry yes  :cluebat: it's not exactly the topic).
I agree with Kievstar to say fashion is not stylish, not so often in fact.
Like Mies i think stylish is non temporal. Have his own taste is a more stronger personnal behavior rather than follow fashion. Often man who don't know how to dress go to the expansive and fashion shops to buy a whole set (if they have the money) and rely to the salesman. In general they seems well dressed (fortunately). But they don't know how to modify the set and are totally lost to compose a new one. And if the salesman is not a good one, a very good one ... Be careful.
Really i'm not impressed by a lot of designer even if they make a lot of money, i'm very picky with clothes and i never rely on the brand. Only with my taste, because : most important i must be comfortable with it , on my body, and with my soul, and first it's my soul who choice it. It's why i always (in the first minutes)never let the salesman approach me. He'll disturb me as i need all my focus to choice.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline mies

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »
Thank you, Patagonie :)
PMed you about game results.

Offline SFandEE

« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
Not to the exclusion of other cultures--I do like the UW sense of style.  Is the regional clothing that different though such that they buy what is available to them or is it that in a department store full of clothing they find the most amazing look and pull it together.

One of my most fundamental beliefs I have for women and clothing--the prettier her shape the better the clothing looks on her.  Regardless of what she is wearing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:52:29 PM by SFandEE »
"I don't feel tardy"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541508
Total Topics: 20866