It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Mother Russia  (Read 21200 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Mother Russia
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »

My ancestors originated in ancient Flanders,  so I am an expert on all things in your area of the world, and on place of USA as the ultimate.

Just part of my public service to enlighten.
It's my 'burden' as citizen of USA.

I'm an expert on England because half of my ancestors are English and I flew over it 16 times on my way to and from Moscow.

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
Now you are sounding like a New Yorker; or New Yauker as they would say.
Well New York was originally named New Amsterdam. Current areas like Harlem and Brooklyn still have Dutch roots, as does the term Yankees. No wonder they still seem a bit Dutch over there. ;D
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
I'm an expert on England because half of my ancestors are English and I flew over it 16 times on my way to and from Moscow.
One cannot acquire much while flying about 30,000' above a land area :-\. Do you have long-range X-ray vision ;D?
Milan's "Duomo"

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »
Well New York was originally named New Amsterdam. Current areas like Harlem and Brooklyn still have Dutch roots, as does the term Yankees. No wonder they still seem a bit Dutch over there. ;D

Yeah and it seems they left the Amish and Menonnites  ;)

Offline CanadaMan

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
We only are convinced . . . because it is true.
The USA public is never wrong and the USA was, is and will be the greatest country in the Universe.
As soon as you accept this, maybe you can get over your bitterness and jealously.

Sometimes when over-the-top statements such as the above are made (obviously in jest) the poster still feels that it has a degree of truth to it.

ML do you believe Americans are 'exceptional'?
I ask because of what you wrote and because of what some people in your government feel.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2014, 03:08:42 AM »
Yeah and it seems they left the Amish and Menonnites  ;)
Those were the first who felt they were so good they did not need to listen to others. ;D

Offline Gator

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
Those were the first who felt they were so good they did not need to listen to others. ;D

It is wrong to label them as feeling superior to others.   They are modest if not humble people. 

Centuries ago, the religious convictions of these Anabaptists led to tragic reprisals.  Their beliefs:  complete separation of church and state, pacifism, baptism only administered voluntarily to believers not infants, etc.  The Catholic and Protestant states considered these beliefs as threats and persecuted Anabaptists.  Many were tortured and executed.

To escape persecution, many came to  Pennsylvania in America starting in the 17th C.  The Quakers were a similar group.  The Mennonites and  Amish emigrated from today's Germany, not the Netherlands.  So they are Deutsche not Dutch.  The English settlers bastardized the term Deutsche into Dutch

In the latter 18th C a large number of Mennonites moved to the Ukraine, specifically the Crimean Khanate.   They prospered until the Russian Revolution when their farms were expropriated.  During and after WWII, they were relocated and persecuted by the Soviets.  Many have emigrated to Germany.   

I lived for years near the Amish and Mennonite communities.  I have met a few on different occasions, e. g., a neighbor hired some Mennonites  to cut some trees on his horse farm and later had a picnic.  The Mennonites were good at playing horseshoes. 

Offline Shadow

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
It is wrong to label them as feeling superior to others.   They are modest if not humble people. 

You can be humble and still believe that your values are not to be changed due to being superior.
On the other hand, manz of their principles are indeed commendable.

Offline santo

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »
On my way back to СССР for my second trip.  This time I will stay for a month.  It's hard to leave my business and the costs start to add up, but well worth it in the end :)

Before I left, a shocked friend of mine found out I was going to Russia,  She said " Why  Russia? They are communists! " lol amazing.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2199
Total: 2208

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM