It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Road Trip to Russia  (Read 18898 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Road Trip to Russia
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
That would be McGowan.

Correct, my mistake in explaining ... I meant the spelling of 'Smith' most commonly used on the island of Ireland ..it's very commonality hardly made it 'posh' ...

Offline msmob

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 04:10:31 AM »
Back to the road trip - I am gratified to know folks from another place are so keen to view this thread ;)

Some links were disabled to discourage the use of unlisted links from here being used in another place !

During all this self-promotion SC was keeping out of the lime-light and we - finally had some time together without TV crews, reporters and photographers

Outside the Sochi Administration offices there is a large pedestrianised square and there's plenty of Russia 2018 World Cup ( proper footie) activity !

A message to all Footie fans !..

Offline msmob

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 10:22:50 PM »
One of the reasons I brought the car was to test  the pre-production prototypes roams capabilities with several nations sim cards across Europe - including Russia and Belarus....   We had stayed v close to the border with BY and knew we'd pick up their networks.

Another reason was that SC had sold the Toyota Rav4 and used the proceeds to buy another apartment and I wanted to see if I could persuade the Russian customs to accept a reasonable duty payment - as the car was bought outright in the UK and I had the receipt - showing the card transaction

SC had had to walk / take taxis - a lot - for nearly a whole month!

The situation is that I can import the car for up to a year - duty free for personal use - that includes SC driving it  - as long as I'm in the car !

Unfortunately, as my Visa expires soon - I was given c 40 days and the car would need to leave Russia - if I did

The duty USED to be 25% plus VAT - but is NOW charged on the engine size and age of the car .....Bizarrely a car less than 3 years old is LESS than a car over 3 years old!

We would have ended up paying 120% duty - not viable financially - so I looked at driving the car to Georgia - but it rained HEAVILY - meaning snow in the mountains and even with winter tyres - too risky ((

What to do ?

Christmas came early for SC in the form of a new Ford Focus - Ford of Russia being desperate to right a wrong when supplying us a 'lemon', previously

Now what to do with the UK car ? ....   It had to leave Russia -  'Abkhazia' was only 20 mins away and Russia treats that as another nation - while most western states say it is part of Georgia.....   

The Sochi Mayor's office kindly offered to arrange for it to be stored over the border - where I could 're-import ' it on my return - but I had already bitten the bullet - bought winter tyres and decided to leave the car in an EU country - where the insurance for the car would be fully active.....  Mad as it seemed - I decided to drive back via FINLAND:))) [ I did not want to cross Ukraine and Belarus - hassle with temp. importation ]

Winter tyres were bought and fitted in Sochi - the 'normal' tyres were bagged up and put in the car and we tried to book a train to St Petersburg with the car.

(For those of us unfamiliar with winter tyres, the compound stays more 'rubbery' in cooler temps and the tread pattern grips better.  )

Sadly, there was no space for the car on 'car trains' for 4 days and I had to leave Russia before the 13th Dec as my 90 days out of 180 would be used up.

I booked a train to Moscow and another to St Petersburg - which meant leaving earlier - the next evening(

Our last day together was rather sad... we had to deliver the Vauxhall to Adler - where the train started and then return to Sochi - 6 six hours before the train departed.  Adler is 30Km to the south and home to the airport, F1 GP circuit and airport.

This video shows why defensive driving is required at the wheel in Russia - wait for the (censored) in the BMW X5!

Normally, we have time to prepare for the parting and this was too swift.   I had been observing my colleagues 'perfect' our gadgets.  ( We had abandoned ANY wired connections - adopting a little used wireless protocol - this involved a major rethink ) meaning I had had little leisure time with SC ((

This was our least joyful parting as we will not meet until the new year .....

After this photo - SC trimmed my hair - made me weigh myself and pronounced satisfaction that I had lost 3 Kg! Living with SC means a healthy diet :)

"I am sending you on your journey looking better than when you came", ))

The original plan was to leave the car in Finland for the winter and return with it to Russia, but I decided I was up for a grand journey back - as I'd only be driving from 'Piter' to Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, NL, Belgium, France....  "The kit could be tested in three more EU nations, right?", I reasoned to myself ...

The road trip continues ...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:16:51 AM by msmob »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2018, 03:41:37 AM »
[Removed comment. Anonmod]

So anyway Moby how do you explain to SC what you do, your break up with your wife and most importantly where you see the relationship headed with her? She surely wants to know what the deal will be seeing you? I can't imagine she's content with a 'I'll fly (or drive) in and be with you for a few months then back to blighty and that's going to be our relationship'. Most I find tend to want something a bit more formal.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:47:41 AM by AnonMod »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2018, 04:15:27 AM »
[Removed comment. Anonmod]

So anyway Moby how do you explain to SC what you do, your break up with your wife and most importantly where you see the relationship headed with her? She surely wants to know what the deal will be seeing you? I can't imagine she's content with a 'I'll fly (or drive) in and be with you for a few months then back to blighty and that's going to be our relationship'. Most I find tend to want something a bit more formal.

Trench.. SC has talked to my ex on SKYPE and nearly went on hols with her ... I think she knows all perspectives.... and my good and bad points after 4 years...   We have lived through 6 and 7 decades ...( 50s and 60s, respectively - to present date ) 

This may make us more patient and wiser ( or not!)  ? ...

You keep reading ...as this year will be a crunch year....

Offline msmob

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2020, 06:47:52 AM »
Reading back through this trip and wondering when we can do something like this again ((
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:49:57 AM by msmob »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1888
Total: 1899

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM