It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 455863 times)

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Maybe he should've gotten more sleep in Seattle.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
As of right now, Italy surpassed China's death toll!!

Could well be down to the temperature & humidity levels in Italy. It's been advanced by some that countries like Italy & Spain are fairing badly compared to other countries in the world because their current climate at this time of year is ver conducive to climate spread. If so BC could have made a bad call in staying, could be a vicious downward spiral.

Here I personally don't think there is quite the escalation in cases & deaths as in Italy. By now we should be knee high in it but there doesn't as yet seem the sharp upswing, just a continuing gradual upswing. Worst of as expected is London but even there matters could be worse. It's expected London will be first to go into lockdown, possibly next week or so. I don't think the rest of the country will unless it suddenly gets sharply worse.

A lot of people are now working from home and business and I individuals are looking to adjust. This might keep the wolves from the door for a bit longer.

Though that all said we are on the early stages of the steep upswing. Up 643 cases today in the UK so it is rising significantly day on day. So it looks like we are at Italy's stage from a few weeks ago, shortly before lockdown:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8130219/amp/The-victims-claimed-coronavirus-Northern-Ireland-records-death.html

Think the UK government are going to have to move fast on this one.

Only plus is in Dorset where I am at present cases are still at just 6 in total.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:21:43 PM by Trenchcoat »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
No one posted has yet posted this good news from NY Times

"For the first time since the crisis began, China today reported no new local infections for the previous 24 hours. Experts have said at least 14 straight days without new infections are needed for the outbreak to be considered over.

I totally cannot understand this.

China has a billion and a half people spread over a fairly  large area.
Corona started in one area, and may be slowing in that one area.

However, it has got to be spreading into other areas of China.

If Corona can go from China to other countries, it can certainly go from one area of China to another.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia

If Corona can go from China to other countries, it can certainly go from one area of China to another.

But, but ..... China's state controlled media always tells the truth.  How can there be any doubt?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline jone

Think this one through, folks.   China's economy is down over 17% from two months ago.   They are kicking out anyone who will say things differently than the state controlled media.   And now they come out with statement that the virus is under control. 

Everyone who believes them, raise their hands!!!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Think this one through, folks.   China's economy is down over 17% from two months ago.   They are kicking out anyone who will say things differently than the state controlled media.   And now they come out with statement that the virus is under control. 

I find it astonishingly quick that they have managed to turn around such a situation do quickly from a rampant virulent out of control virus to virtually an extinct virus. In the past when totalitarian regimes have bullshi*tted it usually meant the opposite was true if human life was at stake. So it could well be that people are dropping out there at an even more I incredibly fast rate than ever.

If Italy is having no joy so far with its lockdown what are the chances China is do much better even if with a more strict lockdown.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline rwd123

Italy's Guiseppi Remuzzi said:

WTF?! Is it possible then that the origin of this virus is from Italy and not China?
Comprehension gap.

He's not stating that the virus originated in Lombardy. He is stating that because the CCP are corrupt psychotic powermongers they didn't communicate the existence of the virus when it broke out in November last year.

Given people travel between China and Italy on a regular basis, the virus was probably spreading in Italy before the Chinese acknowledged the outbreak in January.

The virus clearly originated in Wuhan. It probably escaped a laboratory. It was possibly linked to CCP military R&D.

Offline jone

I find it astonishingly quick that they have managed to turn around such a situation do quickly from a rampant virulent out of control virus to virtually an extinct virus. In the past when totalitarian regimes have bullshi*tted it usually meant the opposite was true if human life was at stake. So it could well be that people are dropping out there at an even more I incredibly fast rate than ever.

If Italy is having no joy so far with its lockdown what are the chances China is do much better even if with a more strict lockdown.

You missed the post by another poster.   His name was sarcasm.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
status report from Houston, Texas...

supply level of food in supermarkets has decreased by 25% each day over the last two days

what that means is, the amount of groceries you used to able to buy in one trip, just two days ago,
now requires 2 trips, because of “limits” or “restrictions” on how much you can buy...

I’ll check tomorrow, to see whether it remains at the same 1/2 amount from two days ago, or drops another 25%

I don’t want my daughters shopping during the weekends, because I think it will be more crowded and dangerous

One way to get the best shopping results, is to show up 30 minutes before they open and be on the first ones in

when the government tells all non-essential workers to stay home
the next day will be the first day with long lines at the super market
that means you have to spend half a day to get 2 days of food for your family
and be surrounded by dozens of sick people

here in Houston, I predict this day will happen on some time between next Monday and next Wednesday, at this time, it would be pretty useless to try and get food and increasingly dangerous

the virus rate here in Houston is sky rocketing at 50% increaser per day and first local to local infections were reported yesterday
it means the infection rate is actually WAY higher than what people believe because of LACK of testing hasn’t shown us a big enough sample size, only people who “think” they’re sick
we’re not testing healthy people, we don’t have enough tests for that

my wife and I are already in semi-quarantine, we don’t go out in public...
only our kids, who are both teens and can drive...

my daughters will only be allowed to shop for just maybe one more day
and then we are all going into full quarantine
until the military starts handing out meals here locally...

Walking Dead
Season 1, Episode 1
the only difference will be, our world won’t have zombies
just bodies
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:48:28 PM by krimster2 »

Offline BillyB

No one posted has yet posted this good news from NY Times

"For the first time since the crisis began, China today reported no new local infections for the previous 24 hours. Experts have said at least 14 straight days without new infections are needed for the outbreak to be considered over.

I read about it but it's probably propaganda. No new infections among 1.4 billion people. Got to give news to give their people hope the same we are flooded with news of vaccines and treatments are coming soon. Italy passes China in deaths and in the end will have many times more deaths than China. China has severely under reported the whole time and gave everybody the impression this virus wasn't dangerous. They could've helped saved lives and prevent damage by warning the world earlier about how dangerous the virus is. Our nations will pay a big price for a long time because we aren't willing to lock down people the way China does. China will come out on top with less damage to itself. I'm sure a conspiracy theory will come out to say they released in on their people on purpose which in turn will spread it to other nations knowing full well they have an advantage in managing the virus in their country.

America won't be hit as hard as European nations. Our cases per million people is in the dozens while European nations have hundreds of people per million infected. Hospitals are not overwhelmed. Trump's early actions saved lives. The problem will last months if not years though. The more I think about it, the more I understand how smart our government is. Going into an immediate and full lockdown like Italy did is hard on people but necessary in emergency situations. We aren't in an emergency situation but our government took appropriate action before they send us into self isolation. First they announce a ban on 250 people. Some people panic shop but not all people do. Stores have a few days to restock shelves until the next announcement of bans on groups of 50. More panic shopping but not everybody participates. Stores have time to stock shelves. The news will get bad enough eventually for all people to do their shopping and have enough items at home to last a month or two. At that point our government can order businesses to completely shut down and tell everybody to self isolate. We will have almost complete control over the virus but we will see the virus again because some knuckleheads will not obey the rules and continue to carry it after the lockdown is lifted. Periodic outbreaks and lockdowns will be a way of life until we get 100% participation.

Here's another example of a Communist Asian country lying big time. Article below says Vietnam adding 60,000 isolation beds yet they report only 85 infections, 16 recoveries and zero deaths! They are right next door to China. My mom reads Vietnamese social media and she says posters in Vietnam are praising their government for protecting them. American Vietnamese are posting the Vietnamese government is lying to it's citizens and there is a lot of arguing going on between Vietnamese on both sides of the pond.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/vietnam-military-increasing-isolation-housing-to-60000-beds/ar-BB11o1XO?ocid=spartanntp

Found a link that describes death/mortality/case fatality rate that agrees with the formula I talked about earlier. Italy is currently experiencing a 40% case fatality rate which is huge. Notice the numbers below for worldwide and then cases outside of China. Big difference and another sign China lied about how lethal the virus was. 

CFR = deaths / (deaths + recovered)

which, with the latest data available, would be equal to:

10,031 / (10,031 + 87,408) = 10% CFR (worldwide)

If we now exclude cases in mainland China, using current data on deaths and recovered cases, we get:

6,786 / (6,786 + 16,988) = 28.5% CFR (outside of mainland China)

http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#who-report-02-20

I went to another jobsite today. There was no tp in the honey bucket. I wasn't there to drop the kids off at the pool. I was there to pee. I try to make sure I do my #2 at home but I carry a pocket full of napkins with me everyday just in case.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:26:36 PM by BillyB »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection

FP, how are you feeling now? Your family? Any of you qualified to get tested?

We did not. During that time frame we hadn't even heard of covid and we're fine now. Maybe it wasn't but it was a very different illness. SIL believes it's no coincidence and he's well respected in his field which is not virus or infectious diease

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
Remember the H1N1 bug that was going around in 2009-2010? I posted a joke about it

300K Americans were hospitalized. 60 million Americans infected. 12,469 Americans died. There wasn’t any media panic. The Republican Party did not politicize it at all. Nobody said that O'Bummer wanted
people to die.

What a difference Trump Derangement Syndrome is. What a difference if we have a Lefty president like Barry O. The left is HAPPY to wreck the economy if they can blame Trump.

I haven't been following the politics around this, but I doubt anyone is happy about a bad effect on the economy.  The effect is not confined to the US, either.

You are comparing apples and oranges.  Working from memory, H1N1 was spread from the US globally, and it was discovered very early, within days of the first case.  You are also taking statistics for the entire year, and those cases are after epidemeologists adjusted the number of H1N1 illnesses and deaths years after the event.

It can, and probably did.  However, China can stop it in ways Western countries can't, as easily.  China enforced social distancing.  Anyone on the street was removed by police.  They could be arrested and jailed for years on end.  Meanwhile, here, people have been asked to practice social distancing/isolation, to only go out for necessities, but it's voluntary, and not everyone is adhering.  Even if it were made illegal to be out on the street, the penalty here would not be severe, maybe a conditional discharge (no criminal record) or a week or two of house arrest, which means one can go to work and grocery shopping.  It's just not comparable.  Can you imagine college students in China partying on a beach when their president has suggested they stay at home to stop the spread of the virus?

Obviously, I don't know the truth in China.  However, I believe it very plausible that the Chinese government was/is willing impose draconian measures to stop the spread of the virus.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:36:56 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline fathertime

Quit 'worrying' about china....we (The US) have our own issues.  China had the ability to keep their population in line and perhaps could control the spread.  We in the US have been disobeying and spreading it all over the place, that is our own fault.  Now unfortunately the chips must fall where they may. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

China had the ability to keep their population in line and perhaps could control the spread. 

Although is seems Italy got it worse than China, I look back on history and still believe China still had it worse than Italy although they reported just over 3000 deaths.

Wuhan is a city of 11 million people. Before the government lockdown in Wuhan happened, people were already in panic about the killer virus and 5 million people fled before the lockdown. It's pretty bad if the people had to act on their own before the government felt it needed to take action. I'm certain many of those 5 million people were infected. Where did they go? Mostly all over China. If some had money, they flew to other nations since anywhere in China was unsafe. There was gross negligence by China early on in fighting the virus. The world will pay a heavy price for their mistakes. Even if we get the virus stopped in America, we need to keep our borders closed to prevent the virus from coming back in. It could be years before we let tourists back into our nation. I have a feeling Africa is going to get hit extremely hard in lives more than economy while it will be the opposite for us. We are in the beginning of a decline that could last years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/5-million-left-wuhan-before-coronavirus-quarantine-2020-1
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
none of the geezers on this board are gonna have to worry about China
only THEIR CHILDREN!!!
China can lose 100 million, so what?

what if they buy Intel and Boeing stock for pennies
and a major part of US farmland
and THEN...
they start...
keeping your grandchildren in herds and injecting them with drugs to drastically lower their IQ's
to make them docile and easier to handle...
for their brief walk up the gangway on the way to the slaughterhouse

your grandchildren's futures, rednecks...
some are gonna end up being food
unless you idiots teach them some god damned common sense
while you're still alive...

you feel me folks?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:28:47 PM by krimster2 »

Offline fathertime

I thought Gavin Newsome's speech was good.  He is ordering a lockdown of all of california now except for essential services. I think it will be ignored by many since he made a point of it being a 'social contract' and the national guard will only be there for humanitarian type services.    Once the order is ignored by many, I suspect it will turn into a law enforcement issue and the entire state, and perhaps nation will be locked down for real.   With the current situation, my daughter thinks I'm exempt under essential distribution of hardware, but I'm not seeing that in writing.  My intent is to go into shop until further clarification. 

Fathertime!

I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Gator

......Can you imagine college students in China partying on a beach when their president has suggested they stay at home to stop the spread of the virus?

I caught report of a news interview with an American student in Wuhan.  People are still self-isolating at their residence.  The student showed how the police had erected a security fence around her apartment building - only one portal to enter and exit. 

... I believe it very plausible that the Chinese government was/is willing impose draconian measures to stop the spread of the virus.

Yes, China has a totalitarian government.  It is more than that.  The Chinese culture focuses on the collective whole.  In the West, for sure in America, we are more about individualism. 

I would suggest the Chinese are compliant with the shutdown not in fear of the police, but because 1) it is the government  rule and 2) it is an obviously effective way to prevent the virus from spreading.   

Offline BillyB

http://www.businessinsider.com/5-million-left-wuhan-before-coronavirus-quarantine-2020-1

Article said 5 million people left Wuhan, a city with 11 million people, before the lockdown but 9 million were locked down. That means China allowed 3 million into the virus infected city before the lockdown. Article below says Wuhan is #4 in the top destinations for New Years travel. My uncle's train full of tourists were not allowed to enter Wuhan in the middle of November 2019. Wonder why.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2065264/chinas-massive-lunar-new-year-travel-rush-where-are-they-going

Imagine if things go so bad in LA that almost half the citizens flee for their own safety before Trump decides to take action and to top it off, Trump allowed 3 million people into LA before ordering the lockdown. Will he receive as much praise as China did by WHO?

Online krimster2

• He/Him
krimster’s the first!
beats ML to “new” economic apocalypse shopping principle

Shopping Return Value per can = number of cans per trip times virus growth rate percentage increase from the day before...

so as  number of cans per trip declines by 25% per day and and the number of infected people you come into contact in the store is growing at the rate of 50% per day....
the Shopping Return value per can
gets smaller and smaller

next week, in Houston, the Shopping Return Value per can
is gonna get REALLY, REALLY small...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:58:33 PM by krimster2 »

Offline GQBlues

Comprehension gap.

He's not stating that the virus originated in Lombardy. He is stating that because the CCP are corrupt psychotic powermongers they didn't communicate the existence of the virus when it broke out in November last year.

Given people travel between China and Italy on a regular basis, the virus was probably spreading in Italy before the Chinese acknowledged the outbreak in January.

The virus clearly originated in Wuhan. It probably escaped a laboratory. It was possibly linked to CCP military R&D.

Dr Remuzzi said information were being shared within about severe cases of pneumonia in Lombardy as far back as November. The first clue of a novel virus in China was 12/10, roughly the time our homegrown virus we call the Democrats were busy impeaching a duly elected president. By 12/31 China informed WHO about mysterious pneumonia cases as they closed their wet markets the same day. By Mid-January the first coronavirus was recorded in Seattle Washington. China, by then, were building hospitals in 10 days. By the end of January, Trump placed a ban on any incoming traveler from China. Italy didn’t follow until two weeks later.

It seem rather strange to me, if not downright irresponsible, Italian healthcare professionals who had spoken of ‘strange severe cases of pneumonia’ as far back as November, didn’t even bothered to connect the dots earlier than they did. Healthcare in Lombardy region was nationally highly regarded in Italy.

This was over a month ago. 2 days after they called Trump a racist for closing our border from Chinese traveler.

This is Italy today.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:03:34 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline GQBlues

I thought Gavin Newsome's speech was good.  He is ordering a lockdown of all of california now except for essential services. I think it will be ignored by many since he made a point of it being a 'social contract' and the national guard will only be there for humanitarian type services.    Once the order is ignored by many, I suspect it will turn into a law enforcement issue and the entire state, and perhaps nation will be locked down for real.   With the current situation, my daughter thinks I'm exempt under essential distribution of hardware, but I'm not seeing that in writing.  My intent is to go into shop until further clarification. 

Fathertime!

Dammit. I’ve a meeting in San Diego tomorrow! My wife just received an internal emailed memo from corporate telling them all SoCal offices are closed until further notice to abide by the state mandate. She’d worked from home all this week. They have the option as a policy anyway and differently from us.

Shoot I’m thinking I should still go and meet with my client.

Offline LAman

Dammit. I’ve a meeting in San Diego tomorrow! My wife just received an internal emailed memo from corporate telling them all SoCal offices are closed until further notice to abide by the state mandate. She’d worked from home all this week. They have the option as a policy anyway and differently from us.

Shoot I’m thinking I should still go and meet with my client.

Shoot, why not. You may be one of a few to be on the road, be outnumbered by police 10-1, but you'll get to SD in 90 minutes!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline GQBlues

I went to another jobsite today. There was no tp in the honey bucket. I wasn't there to drop the kids off at the pool. I was there to pee. I try to make sure I do my #2 at home but I carry a pocket full of napkins with me everyday just in case.

This is crazy 😝 two of my foremen already told me that toilet papers were disappearing from their porties, too! The GC had to start issuing memos and had to make it a subject in their tailgates.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
if I were an unemployed teenager...
right now, I'd take a backpack
and go to every public toilette in a one mile radius and steal every damned roll I could find
google could probably help you locate each one
before the next person does...

but I don't have to to do that...
ya know why?
I became a Charmin toilet paper distributor less than 2 weeks ago,
and I pay my local rep 30% over list price under the table in cash straight to him
to put my order at the top of the list....
but probably after tomorrow, I won't be able to place another order until the end of next week!
it means the factory is having a supply chain problem somewhere...

so...
that brings up the issue of how I'm gonna sell this...

at this point my only cost for selling this on ebay, is the amount of time it takes for my daughters to process an order
I timed their performance in the warehouse of picking and packing 4 32-roll packs
vrs
picking and packing 100 32 roll packs...

my daughters can make about $400 per hour for selling 4 packs of 32 rolls on ebay working a 6 hour day
but over $2000 per hour selling hundred packs of 32 rolls on ebay working a 6 hour day!
golly!

so that's what it's gonna be then!
my daughters are gonna sell lots of Qty. 100 of 32 roll packs or 3200 rolls total
on ebay with an opening bid of $3200 with a 6 day bid expiration....
I'm gonna start the first lot low and watch the bidding
and use that to price the next one
and see how "elastic" the price curve is gonna be on lots of 3200 rolls of toilette paper....

I hope to have my first lot for sale by next week will let you all know here when the bidding starts on any of the upcoming lots that I will announce here

'spossiba moy duzya

PS, if you think about it, if the bidding doesn't get TOO crazy, then this is actually a good investment...
selling toilette paper is a lot like buying pot!
you buy a large quantity and you use some, and sell some yourself
and the profit you make
basically makes your toilette paper FREE TO YOU!!!!

this is the kinda deal I'm offering you guys next week on ebay!!!
OK???!!!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:00:40 PM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541425
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2422
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 2266
Total: 2273

+-Recent Posts

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:54:55 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:43:10 PM

Re: Teenage Sex- RW and their sons by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:11:53 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 08:36:08 PM

Re: Teenage Sex- RW and their sons by ML
Yesterday at 07:31:53 PM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by ML
Yesterday at 07:21:37 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:56:07 PM

international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:52:39 PM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:45:25 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by krimster2
Yesterday at 06:37:55 PM