It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Getting married in Russia  (Read 6060 times)

Offline chip

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Getting married in Russia
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:00:44 AM »
Hi,
First off, I am getting married to a wonderful girl in St. Petersburg. We met on eHarmony of all places. I didn't expect it, but there are a lot of FSU women on that site and aside from the really obvious fakes, most seem very sincere. So, we've been in constant contact for about 7 months and I've been to see her twice now and we are doing this.)

Now I need help navigating the bureaucracy. Hopefully there are many here who've been there and done that. I will be returning in a month and I'd like to have have all the docs I need prepared while I'm still in the US. Is there an agency that will do the leg work and help me through this? Or is it much easier than it seems? The only doc I know about is a certificate stating I'm not currently married and it needs to be translated and notarized.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Getting married in Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
Go to visajourney's website. It has all you need to do it yourself. You don't need an attorney. Good luck
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
The requirements for getting married in Russian Federation vary from one city to another. You should have your Fiancee go to the local office where the official wedding will take place and find out exactly what they will require. There is usually at least a 30 day waiting period.

If you or your fiancee were married before, you will need more documents. Documents from USA need to be prepared in a certain way.

Ukraine has different laws than Russian Federation. Not many people on this forum were married in Russia.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »
Not many people on this forum were married in Russia.

Untrue.  Most of the active participants here have Russian, not Ukrainian, wives.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline chip

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »
She is definitely getting the info from the local ZAGS. And from the reading I've done and personal accounts from some who has recently done it, there is no actual "waiting period". It just usually takes 3-4 weeks to get that "I am not currently married" doc completed through the US embassy. I know I can take all my paperwork there and start the process, and I'm sure it's the way it's usually done. US embassy in Moscow is probably very efficient at this. But I was hoping I could get it done here in the US.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:19:51 PM »
There are docs, such as your birth certificate, which will need to come from a State Attorney General office with an Apostille.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »
Here is a thread with information, photos, and videos on the ZAGS wedding process:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=12073.msg254556#msg254556
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline chip

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
There are docs, such as your birth certificate, which will need to come from a State Attorney General office with an Apostille.

This is very helpful. Thanks. Definitely something I should do while I'm still here which will speed things up.

I have been married twice. I read somewhere they want marriage certificates AND divorce certificates. Is this true?

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Here is a thread with information, photos, and videos on the ZAGS wedding process:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=12073.msg254556#msg254556

Mendy, won't he need birth certificate, Marriage and divorce decrees translated with apostilles?

Offline Изумруд

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
Mendy, won't he need birth certificate, Marriage and divorce decrees translated with apostilles?

Yep, all of the above.

Offline chip

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:09:39 PM »
To keep this info correct... It seems there IS a waiting period in Saint-Petersburg. My fiance checked with the ZAGS and it is 32 days. This is also what mendeleyev states as for all of Russia in the thread he referenced above.

But a friend who was just married in St.Pb says they waited only 21 days.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
To keep this info correct... It seems there IS a waiting period in Saint-Petersburg. My fiance checked with the ZAGS and it is 32 days. This is also what mendeleyev states as for all of Russia in the thread he referenced above.

But a friend who was just married in St.Pb says they waited only 21 days.

I've heard in the past that the waiting period was easy enough to over come by greasing the right palm but, with all the rumored corruption rehabilitation going on, who knows?

Offline Gator

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
Chip,

Congratulations!  I wish you and your future bride the best.

Before you go to St. Piter, prepare the documents for her petition to obtain a CR-! visa:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

You will see at this webpage a service that will prepare your documents for $425, less than the USCIS fee for the petition.  It is simple if you wish to do it yourself.  The difficult part is collecting the evidence and official documents, something you would have to do yourself even if you used a service.

Forms: 

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/g-325a.pdf

She will help you obtain the necessary Russian evidence and documents.  She must sign the G-325a, so at least have that done for her signature. 

You can submit the petition to the USCIS upon your return to the US, thereby starting the immigration process, which could take 10-12 months dependent upon many factors.

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
"Untrue.  Most of the active participants here have Russian, not Ukrainian, wives"

But how many were actually married in Russia?

I was married in Crimea while it was part of Ukraine. So now, was I married in Russia?
Also, at the time, the requirements for Crimea were different from those in Ukraine and Russia. In addition to permission from the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine in Kyiv, I needed permission from the Ministry of Justice in Simferopol--with many additional requirements!.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »
I was referring to Russia.  Not occupied lands.  The majority of the posters here are/were married to Russians, from Russia.  Not Ukrainians.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline chip

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »
According to ZAGS #1 in St.Pb, marriage certificates are not required. Just divorce decrees. Happy to see the Russians don't have a Dept of Redundancy Dept. :)

Washington State will send me original birth certificate and divorce decree with apostiles. They will also provide the statement of no impediments to marriage with apostile which will save me a trip to the US embassy in Moscow (St.Pb embassy can't provide this doc.) When I get to St.Pb, I will get all those docs translated and officially sealed, along with passport.

Thanks for the info.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541272
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2956