It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Australian wants to visit Kiev frequently - Visa question  (Read 14756 times)

Offline mroz87

Australian wants to visit Kiev frequently - Visa question
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
Hi all. As Australians, we still need to apply for visa if we want to enter Ukraine. So the golden question is: Can I keep applying for short stay visas for tourist purpose without any drama from the Ukrainian embassy and border control?

Because I will be going to Kiev every time, would they ask why I keep going to Kiev? Of course I met a lady there, but it would be a hassle if she has to do up the invitation letter every time I come. And according to the embassy website, Australian doesn't technically need invitation letter anymore.

Another thing to note, when I first applied for short stay visa, the Ukrainian embassy in Canberra only give me a stay that is exactly that of my return flight. How easy for me to get the 180 days double or multiple entry visa? Just pay the right amount while not providing return flights booking confirmation during visa application?

I would love to hear your experiences.
Much appreciated.

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Australian wants to visit Kiev frequently - Visa question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
Hi & Welcome to the forum.

You can keep applying for single entry visa--the problem is to issue and being without your passport frequently
If you are planning on making frequent visits apply for a 12 month multiple entry.
Whatever option you choose you are restricted to 90 days in any 180 day period.
Multiple entry works out a lot cheaper and a lot more convenient than all the hassles reapplying for single entry.
You no longer need a letter of invitation to get multiple entry-- just apply and pay relevant fee.
There is no longer any requirement to show proof of flights-so not needed now.
When applying-there is a question about "when" you will arrive in Ukraine-- and visa will run from that date-but you volunteer the answer and no proof is required  eg  if you will be there in 40 days --put date on it at 30 days-- so you have a little flexibility.
Fill application in as it is-offer no more than required--it makes it simple and causes no confusion.
The 180 days resets every day.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline mroz87

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:59:19 AM »
Hi JayH. Many thanks for your elaboration. The official website actually does not explain how one can get visa validity duration of 12 months. I find out from another independent website that both single and double entry only have maximum duration of 3 months, while multiple entry has maximum duration of 12 months. So there's the answer I need, which you have also kindly provided.

I have a little more question. In the application form, Question 21 Main purpose of the journey, I suppose I will do just fine ticking Tourism? So what happens if I also tick Private (visiting family or friends)? Do you recommend just ticking Tourism?

For Question 23 Duration of intended stay or transit... Indicate number of days ...
What would you put? The number of days (approximated or exact) of your 1st trip on the new visa? Or just leave blank?

Also, is apartment booking confirmation legit? Or does it always have to be hotel booking?

Many thanks in advanced :clapping:

Offline sleepycat

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:42:03 AM »
It doesn't matter if you tick the tourism or private box. On separate applications I've tried ticking both boxes and did not have an issue. They are not going to ask for the name and address of the friend you are visiting.

A quick email from the landlord or booking agency about the apartment confirmation should be enough.

With the state of the Ukrainian economy they could do with all the tourists they can get, so I doubt the consulate will be too stringent with visa applications.

Offline mroz87

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »
Thanks sleepycat.

For Question 23 Duration of intended stay or transit... Indicate number of days ...
What would you put? The number of days (approximated or exact) of your 1st trip on the new visa? Or just leave blank? Or make up a big number (not more than 90 days)?

I am just worried if I put in a certain number of days, let say 14 days, then I got some sort of restrictions (eg, with a multiple entry visa, I might get restricted to having at most 14 days on my subsequent entries.

Ps. When I applied for my single entry visa first time providing the number of days, that was all I was given for the visa duration.

Offline sleepycat

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
I've only ever applied for single entry visas so unfortunately I can't answer that question for you.

Offline mroz87

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
Sleepycat, maybe you can. Theoretically you can get max 90 days with single entry visa. Did you manage to get 90 days, even if you put down intended stay that was less than 90 days?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:26:56 AM by mroz87 »

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »
Sleepycat, maybe you can. Theoretically you can get max 90 days with single entry visa. Did you manage to get 90 days, even if you put down intended stay that was less than 90 days?

Just going slightly  :offtopic:, but my Russian experience was similar.  On my second trip I requested a double-entry business visa, because my entry and exit dates were well over a month apart so couldn't get a tourist visa.  I was given what appeared to be an automatic three-month visa, even though the Embassy was well aware that I would be returning to New Zealand after six weeks.  That would have been very handy if, for example, I'd had an accident in Moscow and was laid up in hospital for a couple of weeks after my intended departure date.

I would guess that your situation will be the same - you will get the 90 days, even though you may only be there for 40.

Offline southernX

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »
mr oz

in the last few years iv used these guys below

http://visasdirect.com.au/

makes it easier , etc than doing the leg work myself

i usually get a multi entry visa, tick family etc ,  this allows me to enter ukraine , and re enter within my visa dates with no hassles ,
it comes in handy as i have  gone  to russia , finland, poland , or france , uk just for a few days etc, then return

usually they have given me the visa dates to match up  with  my flight dates i have requested , but iv never asked for more than 60 days , on one visa 

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:40:11 AM »
MrO ( OP!!)   write 90/180 compliance--list as visiting friends /tourism.If you know already what date you will arrive-put the day before on form as first arrival date.No need to be more specific on length of stay.
I  cannot see my application copy at the moment to tell you exactly what I wrote( I am in Kiev as I write) but will look as soon as I can.

It is no harder to get now than a single entry--  a lot of the complications come from the past process and discussion only serves to confuse the issue and it is simpler now.
It is probably a good idea to have an accommodation address accessible on arrival and perhaps a ticket out of Ukr--but often I have neither and have not been asked in a long time for more information( other than about weather in Aus!!)
In filling in application-- tell the truth-you cant beat that!!  But anticipate( as you are doing) what will satisfy Ukr  officials.The form is simple enough!!

As an aside --at airline check-in-   the guy asked me -"how long are you staying"?-"where is your ticket to leave UKR"?---- he was busy examining visas and stamps--  I very politely smiled and asked why he was asking!!  I did point out it had zero to do with him--but he is required to check for valid entry document.Maybe he had some old requirements in his head! On arrival-- passport is scanned and maybe now it updates information on days used-I am right on the maximum and will be at end of this trip and was thinking I could be asked how long I was staying--but no-no questions on anything like that at all
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:50:28 AM by JayH »
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 01:46:13 AM »

You can get 90 on single entry--but same 90/180  rules apply  --  no  2nd visa unless it fits that criteria.
BTW--day count includes arrival and leaving days.
The overstay fine for small noncompliance is not huge but overstaying could jeopardise a visa being issued and there is no reason to do that deliberately.  So--take your shoes off when counting the days !! ;D

Offline mroz87

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »
I would guess that your situation will be the same - you will get the 90 days, even though you may only be there for 40.

Not really off-topic. Your post will help someone, that I am sure.
Just for clarification, I do get a Ukrainian visa valid for 90 days, but at the bottom there is a statement 'Duration of stay: X', X being the days between my arrival and departure, same as the number I put for Q23 in the form. I am not sure whether the X days duration of stay has to be adhered or not, because if I stay for 30 days (assume 30 is larger than X), it is technically still legal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:30:56 AM by mroz87 »

Offline mroz87

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »

http://visasdirect.com.au/

i usually get a multi entry visa, tick family etc ,  this allows me to enter ukraine , and re enter within my visa dates with no hassles

I have checked the website.
'Those applying for a visa longer than 3 months need to present an HIV test certificate.'

This was never mentioned in the official embassy website. It goes from complicated to downright ridiculous :wallbash:

Offline mroz87

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »
MrO ( OP!!)   write 90/180 compliance--list as visiting friends /tourism.If you know already what date you will arrive-put the day before on form as first arrival date.No need to be more specific on length of stay.
I  cannot see my application copy at the moment to tell you exactly what I wrote( I am in Kiev as I write) but will look as soon as I can.

JayH, thank you for coming back to the thread. That is what I have in mind in regards to what I should write. I just needed confirmation and I got it. Thank you once again.

What's up with putting arrival date one day prior? I did not do that for my first visa and there wasn't any issue.

I tried to clarified with AnotherKiwi about visa validity and duration of stay. I did get 90 days visa validity, but there was a statement on my visa label saying 'Duration of stay: X', X being my days in Ukraine (correction: I just realised they gave me a little more than X, maybe accounting for flight changes etc).

If you go to http://ukrainetrek.com/ukrainian-visa, there is a photo of a sample visa label. I got that statement listed on Item 13 (as pointed in the photo). Since you're in Kiev, if you wouldn't mind, can you see your visa label and tell me what you have in Item 13. Don't worry about this if it's a hassle, you already helped me a lot!

This time I am going to try applying for the multiple entry visa. I'll see what I get.

Offline southernX

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »
This time I am going to try applying for the multiple entry visa. I'll see what I get

iv always applied for multi entry visas on my trips , never had an issue with them being granted,
given iv left by train several times you dont need to have tickets for departure on arrival for customs ime

What's up with putting arrival date one day prior? I did not do that for my first visa and there wasn't any issue

my arrival date i request on the multi entry  visa is the same as our airline booking date for arrival  into kiev or kharkiv ,
same date has also never presented any issues , same with leaving ,if iv chosen to leave on my last visa day on the label , no issues

the only time iv been queried  is when iv left earlier than the last date on the visa, they usually can ask where im going and when if ill be back ,
the train customs guys seem to like aussie gold coins too , bit of a collectors piece for them ,

I have checked the website.
'Those applying for a visa longer than 3 months need to present an HIV test certificate.'
HIV is a problem in ukraine , its fair to ask if you are staying for any length of time imo ,

personally iv found the customs service to have improved a lot since euro in 2012,

SX
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:18:50 PM by southernX »
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline JayH

New Visa system for Aus & NZ entry to Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »
Old topic-- but some new news !
A change of a very significant nature for Australian and new Zealanders visiting Ukraine.
It is now possible to be issued a visa on arrival for a limited time.
This is a lot cheaper and so much easier than previous system.
As always-- it seems to give contradicary advice  over longer stays than 15 days - but - I will follow that up.

VISA ON ARRIVAL

According to the decision of the Government of Ukraine on March 2, 2016 citizens of Australia and New Zealand, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Mauritius, United Arab Emirates, Seychelles and Turkey traveling to Ukraine for tourism have the ability to issue short term single-entry visas "C"  (valid up to 15 days) upon arrival to Ukraine at the international airports "Boryspil" (Kyiv), «Zhuliany» (Kyiv), «Odesa» (Odesa) and Odessa Sea Port in case of the documents providing the tourist nature of the trip (hotel booking, excursion booking, travel voucher or contract for the provision of tourist services).

Payment for this permission to enter Ukraine (single entry visa) is 510 Ukrainian hryvna (appr 20 USD).

http://australia.mfa.gov.ua/en/consular-affairs/services/Visa+to+Ukraine

This is apparently over a year old  --  so I am interested too hear of the real experiences  of anyone who has used this .
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:45:48 PM by JayH »

Offline LAman

Re: New Visa system for Aus & NZ entry to Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »
Old topic-- but some new news !
A change of a very significant nature for Australian and new Zealanders visiting Ukraine.
It is now possible to be issued a visa on arrival for a limited time.
This is a lot cheaper and so much easier than previous system.
As always-- it seems to give contradicary advice  over longer stays than 15 days - but - I will follow that up.

VISA ON ARRIVAL

According to the decision of the Government of Ukraine on March 2, 2016 citizens of Australia and New Zealand, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Mauritius, United Arab Emirates, Seychelles and Turkey traveling to Ukraine for tourism have the ability to issue short term single-entry visas "C"  (valid up to 15 days) upon arrival to Ukraine at the international airports "Boryspil" (Kyiv), «Zhuliany» (Kyiv), «Odesa» (Odesa) and Odessa Sea Port in case of the documents providing the tourist nature of the trip (hotel booking, excursion booking, travel voucher or contract for the provision of tourist services).

Payment for this permission to enter Ukraine (single entry visa) is 510 Ukrainian hryvna (appr 20 USD).

http://australia.mfa.gov.ua/en/consular-affairs/services/Visa+to+Ukraine

This is apparently over a year old  --  so I am interested too hear of the real experiences  of anyone who has used this .

Old news Jay,

when will we get a copy/paste link of the problems that came up from this program and only recently have finally been resolved? Do you know of these???
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline JayH

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
Old news Jay,

when will we get a copy/paste link of the problems that came up from this program and only recently have finally been resolved? Do you know of these???

Hence my question at the foot of the post !

I was unaware of this change as my own visa situation is different .
When I first saw this my immediate thoughts that arriving without a pre arranged visa was not something I would particularly want to do ( having arrived with an invalid document myself some years ago !!).
I have read of some problems with this "new" system  last year  -- but it now reads 24 hour and at numerous entry points.

"Working hours of the Consular Point of the international airport "Boryspil" (Kyiv): 24 hours/7 days

Working hours of the Consular Point of the international airports «Zhuliany» (Kyiv), «Odesa» (Odesa) and Odessa Sea Port: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m."

Not sure if you understood the previous process for Aus & NZ-- requiring substantial fee and being without your passport for up to 30 days.??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:56:07 PM by JayH »

Offline LAman

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »
Hence my question at the foot of the post !

I was unaware of this change as my own visa situation is different .
When I first saw this my immediate thoughts that arriving without a pre arranged visa was not something I would particularly want to do ( having arrived with an invalid document myself some years ago !!).
I have read of some problems with this "new" system  last year  -- but it now reads 24 hour and at numerous entry points.

Yes, 24/7 at 4 entry points, not 'numerous' entry points. It took almost 1 year to change VOA's to 24/7 . For most of that time VOA's were given during 'working hours'. Only recently did Zhuliany come fully equipped.

I admit it is a long way to travel for an iffy VOA. Although Borispol has been handing out VOA's regularly for over 9 months( without problems) during working hours. There was problems also with MFA and embassy in Australia having same info.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:30:24 PM by LAman »

Offline JayH

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
Yes, 24/7 at 4 entry points, not 'numerous' entry points. It took almost 1 year to change VOA's to 24/7 . For most of that time VOA's were given during 'working hours'. Only recently did Zhuliany come fully equipped.

From the website
"short term single-entry visas "C"  (valid up to 15 days) upon arrival to Ukraine at the international airports "Boryspil" (Kyiv), «Zhuliany» (Kyiv), «Odesa» (Odesa) and Odessa Sea Port"

So that equals "numerous" !

Offline LAman

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »
From the website
"short term single-entry visas "C"  (valid up to 15 days) upon arrival to Ukraine at the international airports "Boryspil" (Kyiv), «Zhuliany» (Kyiv), «Odesa» (Odesa) and Odessa Sea Port"

So that equals "numerous" !

Numerous = Lviv, I-F, Kharkiv, Zap and Dnipro!!!

Numerous does not equal 2 cities.

Offline JayH

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »
Numerous = Lviv, I-F, Kharkiv, Zap and Dnipro!!!

Numerous does not equal 2 cities.

mmm---  read the words before nit picking !

Offline JayH

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »
LaMan --my words in the first post were deliberately not over enthusiastic   as what I read does have contradictory statements on the website.
Any dealings with Ukrainian bureaucracy is fraught with potential drama and problems.Avoiding potential problems with a little planning and investigation is highly recommended.
In attempting clarification in the past on visa issues here in Australia it has been -- at best-- unhelpful. By way of contrast the Ukraine Embassy in London and the people there could not have been more helpful !

Offline LAman

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »
LaMan --my words in the first post were deliberately not over enthusiastic   as what I read does have contradictory statements on the website.
Any dealings with Ukrainian bureaucracy is fraught with potential drama and problems.Avoiding potential problems with a little planning and investigation is highly recommended.
In attempting clarification in the past on visa issues here in Australia it has been -- at best-- unhelpful. By way of contrast the Ukraine Embassy in London and the people there could not have been more helpful !

No worries Jay, I fully understand what Aussies and Kiwi (most affected by new program) have been through in jumping circles to get clarification. I think as of right now, most, if not all, issues have been cleared up.
What I do know is more intl flights coming into Zhuliany (think skyteam)

Couple links to probs:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k9784552-Visa_On_Arrival_Warning-Ukraine.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k9575123-Experience_with_Visa_On_Arrival_for_Australians_in_Boryspil-Ukraine.html

Offline southernX

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »
we will be travellling back later this year

however we will be staying for a month + so this is not suitable for us until it is extended beyond the 16 day limit

getting your flight times into the am @ the right entry point  is the key to make this one work for you imo

SX

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1976
Total: 1985

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM