It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Peterblog  (Read 22722 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Peterblog
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »
Entry 6:

The Migration Card: 

Well, I am registered with the powers that be.  Our surly landlord came through today.  I watched a vitriolic exchange where my woman told her to do her job and suddenly it was done.

But upon entering Russia and going through customs, I never received a migration card.  Come to think of it, I didn't get one the last time I was here.  Is this card done away with?   I went through immigration control at Sheremetyevo and was never queried for one.  Then our landlord calls up asking where my migration card was.

Strange.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?  Did I just miss the door where they were handing out brains?  Come to think of it, I believe I haven't seen a migration card the last three times I've been to Russia.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
At the end of 2014 when I entered RU I was given a small piece of white paper which served as a migration card; it was about the size of a passport page.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
At the end of 2014 when I entered RU I was given a small piece of white paper which served as a migration card; it was about the size of a passport page.

Even on my first trip (2006) that's all I received as well.

Offline southernX

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 06:27:29 PM »
jone , i think it all very variable with migration cards
iv always been told i need one when there , but i have never actually been given one or had one
hotels have taken my passport, done the deal and given it back to me without any asking about the migration card or offering me one

staying with family has been even  easier

even rail crossing back and forth , they wanted my passport and visa ,
never been asked for a card

however it probably has tightened up in the last 12 months or so

like  ML , i would never give up my passport to anyone ,unless its gov official where i must for customs /visas etc

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
17 trips to Russia and I never even heard of migration card.

Offline chooter

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
On every trip I made to Russia, about an hour from landing in Moscow, we were given a card that had duplicates sides. It was printed in Russian and I had to fill out both sides of it, one for Russia and one for me. Each side had an identical number on it...that was the migation card and it asked who what when and where while you were in Russia. My wife and I had to fill out this same card on our last visit. We were in business class with nothing but Russians and they didn't get this card.

There was also a piece of paper stapled in both our US passports, It was not checked entering Russia but it was checked when we left Russia going through passport control at svo. The lady looked at that piece of paper and our copy of the migration cards and checked it in a computer. She also kept both.

We registered our visas in a post office in the city we always visited. Took about 30 minutes for both of us. We always took some of the small Reese's Cups with us to the post office...nothing like a smile on a beautiful Russian lady to know you got it right and this will be a piece of cake for you. Worked for me too when I had to register my visa at OVIR. Same young lady every time. She would see me and leave her office and come get me and I was outa there in 45 minutes with my passport and she had a bag of Resses's Cups. That's a bribe I enjoyed paying.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:27:07 PM by chooter »
The final step to happiness or the disaster of your life, marriage can be great thing or ruin you.
Take the risk or stay lonely?

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »
On every trip I made to Russia, about an hour from landing in Moscow, we were given a card that had duplicates sides. It was printed in Russian and I had to fill out both sides of it, one for Russia and one for me. Each side had an identical number on it...that was the migation card and it asked who what when and where while you were in Russia. My wife and I had to fill out this same card on our last visit. We were in business class with nothing but Russians and they didn't get this card.

There was also a piece of paper stapled in both our US passports, It was not checked entering Russia but it was checked when we left Russia going through passport control at svo. The lady looked at that piece of paper and our copy of the migration cards and checked it in a computer. She also kept both.

I remember this exact same thing regarding my visits to Russia.

But I haven't been there for over 7 years, so might be different now.

Ukraine also used to have something similar to that, but it was abandoned back around 2004, as I recall.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 11:07:33 PM »
'Migration card' - the slip of paper anyone who is a visa national signs accepting the terms of your entry, at passport control ...

I have just come back from Russia - having entered there twice, in two weeks via different cities - ALWAYS - been given this vital slip of paper - over 11 years travelling there.

It is requested if stopped by the Police, necessary for registration and must be handed back when you leave-at passport control...
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:14 AM »
That migration card is what is "registered" when we speak of registering a visa. It has two sides because it is the migration card for the Union State of Russia and Belarus.

Russia is moving to electronic cards, and in some cases the information may be embedded in the visa strip. When not embedded, the form is filled out electronically by the passport control officer, so in some cases you may not be given one on the plane to complete prior to landing.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline jone

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:59 AM »
Knew I'd get the poop from you, Mendy.

My passport is pretty new.  It has the details of the passport embedded in a chip which is in the binder of the passport.    I notice at passport control in the US that it immediately pulls up all my travel details.  My guess is that this is why I am not required, anymore, to have a migration card in Russia.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »

My passport is pretty new.  It has the details of the passport embedded in a chip which is in the binder of the passport.    I notice at passport control in the US that it immediately pulls up all my travel details.  My guess is that this is why I am not required, anymore, to have a migration card in Russia.

In the words of Lee Corso "Not so fast my friend". I have an older PP and in fact am due to renew it next year. What Mendy stated may pertain to you or not. I've posted on the "need" of migration cards numerous times in the past. On reflection it's been years. My migration cards I always filled out on the plane prior to arrival. PP control would stamp my half of it and place it in my passport and most of the time they tell me to leave it in there. However, the first couple of times I exited at PP they acted a bit pissed for having to deal with it.

My passport being old along with the migration card might be what annoyed them, I don't really know. I just leave in in there until I start to leave and then take it out. Not once has it been mentioned to me at exit. I have never been stopped or had my documents checked or questioned by any militia, cops, PP control or anyone else. I have read here on the forum and heard stories about not having it in the passport opening some folks up to having to pay the fines or "tribute" because it wasn't in there. It is afaik still the law in Russia for foreigners to have it placed in the passport.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
On my last flight from Amsterdam to Moscow no cards were issued to any of the passengers, and the fellow sitting next to me was a first time visitor to Russia. I am under the impression that, as the government has announced, they are moving to that document being electronic. Supposedly, the passport control officer now completes the form from the visa info.

I do not know how they plan to roll it out over time and how older PP will be handled. FP is correct that each person must register their presence.

After traveling I reenter via the diplomatic line and am not sure how that procedure differs from other travelers.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline jone

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
Entry 7:  A walk down Nevsky Prospect

"There is nothing to compare to Nevsky Prospect, at least not in St. Petersburg, where it embodies everything.  There is no end to the glamour of this street ....."

One would think that this was written last week.  Walking down Nevsky Prospect, yesterday, one conjures up images of haute couture in Paris, excellent tailors in London or maybe even houses on the River in Amsterdam.  The reality is that such was written in 1838 by Nikolai Gogol.  I picked up the book "Petersburg Tales" by Gogol.  The quote was from the opening paragraph.

To further quote Gogol:  "It is though a person you meet on Nevsky Prospect is less selfish than on Morskaya, Gorokhovaya, Liteynaya, Meschchanskaya ....."

There are those on this forum that would discourage me from writing favorably about life in Russia.  But I cannot help but observe that in spite of activities on the world stage, the transformation of Leningrad back into St. Petersburg is both historic and permanent.  No where is this more apparent than spending time on the central avenue of Peter. 

We spent part of the day in a book store about halfway between the Winter Palace and the Nevsky Prospect Metro Station yesterday.  Did I mention that this same, historic, building is also the international headquarters for VK?

It is easy to pick out many languages of the travelers.   A couple behind us was arguing in English.  They were obviously from the United Kingdom.  Apparently they had lost money on train tickets that weren't honored.  I glanced over my shoulder to see who was talking.  The guy, embarrassed to be speaking so loudly, looked up and asked me if I spoke English.  With a merry look in my eye, I stated that, 'no', I only spoke American.  We all laughed.

There is a magic on Nevsky that you do not find elsewhere in Russia.  On one corner is a monument to Catherine the Great, you can imagine, on the next street, Fyodor Dostoevsky, sitting there writing Crime and Punishment.  Features of Nevsky include the Stroganov Palace or the Kazan Cathedral.  The old mixes with the new as there is a huge shopping center filled with upscale places to spend money. 

We had an interesting shopping experience last night:  I had been hearing for the last few days about a 'Bomb'.  We found a store called 'Lush' and went inside to see a hand grenade sized ball of smelly stuff.  My woman bought two and when we went home last night had the opportunity to try one out.  It is called a bomb, because when it hits the water, it begins to fizz and spin.  Eventually it wears through the outer shell and the inner ingredients gush out leaving bathwater mixed with oils and scents.  A wonderful experience.

Hopefully you all bomb your bathtubs this weekend as well.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
You don't have Lush in the U.S.?  It's a British company.  I boycott it, though, because it is anti oilsands.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »

My latest UK passport also has this chip - I can use the unmanned EU passport control posts and STILL have the 'magic' slip... I wonder is this a case of where you ENTER Russia ... I haven't entered via Moscow - or other BIG cities -  for 7 years
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Jone, a great personal favour. In the most unlikely event that you should happen to see a medal like this in some SPB antique shop, could you send me its address?

Recto - Verso

It's about 1" in diameter, and was given to my great-grandfather on his graduation from the "Lycée de l'Empereur Alexandre", probably meant as a pendant for his watch chain. I wore it around my neck for 35 years until, a couple of years ago, I went swimming and on returning ashore only its retaining ring was left. I seached the shore and shallows for days to no avail :(.

Thank you!
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »
Entry 7:  A walk down Nevsky Prospect

We spent part of the day in a book store about halfway between the Winter Palace and the Nevsky Prospect Metro Station yesterday. 

I know the one you mean.  I spent some happy hours in there on both my visits to St Petersburg.  Easy to get around, and friendly staff.

Offline ML

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 08:55:27 PM »
I know the one you mean.  I spent some happy hours in there on both my visits to St Petersburg.  Easy to get around, and friendly staff.

Rather than spend time with some gals ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
Rather than spend time with some gals ?

Sadly, yes.  The one who was supposed to be with me waved goodbye when I left Sochi.  :'(

Offline ML

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2015, 06:26:04 PM »
Sadly, yes.  The one who was supposed to be with me waved goodbye when I left Sochi.  :'(

Ouch!!  But what has that got to do with your time in SPb?

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »
Ouch!!  But what has that got to do with your time in SPb?

Because, unlike you, I'm not a WMVM kind of a guy.  As I've stated many times before, I consider St Petersburg to be the most beautiful city in the world.  As such, I prefer to treat the city with the reverence which I feel it deserves, and thus don't worry about humdrum distractions such as chasing girls.  8)  I'm far happier gazing upon the city itself (and its lovely ladies), rather than spending time on the prowl.

I can do that anywhere else.   :P

Offline ML

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »
I meant what has 'gal waived goodbye to me in Sochi' got to do with spending time in bookstore in SPb?

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »
I meant what has 'gal waived goodbye to me in Sochi' got to do with spending time in bookstore in SPb?

Not very much at all!  If she had been with me in St Petersburg, it's quite likely that I would not have visited the bookstore.

Offline jone

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2015, 06:05:09 AM »
#8  Lots to Report and so little time to do it.

We went to the Hermitage today.  For those of you who don't know, this is Russia's premier museum in the old winter palace.  We had been planning to do so for some time.  This is the one place one goes in St. Petersburg.  Even if you do nothing else, this makes a trip to the city worthwhile.  To begin, I had gone on line to find out about the museum.  It is a very costly museum.  They charge you 600 Rubles per person to get in.  For those doing the math, one of the most complete assemblies of man's creative talents in one location is yours for the paltry fee of under $10.00 US.  After splurging on tickets, we went all out and got the translation headsets that tell you what you are looking at.  Those cost us 450 Rubles. 

As you enter the Winter Palace courtyard, there is hidden slightly to the right, an alcove that has a couple of ATM type looking machines.  Having read about these online, we went right to them and purchased our tickets using credit card.  The system was not totally user friendly, but, after standing in front of the machine for two minutes, I had it figured out.  Tickets in hand, we went to the line for people that already had tickets.  The line was about 30 some people.  It was almost exactly at 10:30 in the morning, the time the doors opened.  Now the other lines had around 300 people in them (and it was a weekday morning when school was in session).  I seriously thought we were making some type of mistake.  They were all waiting in lines that said purchase tickets.  We had our tickets and there were only thirty people in our line.  The doors opened.  The guy at the gate looked at our tickets and in we walked.  Talk about your door into summer!  I was feeling pretty frisky having out foxed a system that obviously had many people acting like adherents to the old Soviet mentality where standing in line was good.

That pause there represents our visit to the Hermitage.  When I am somewhere that I can take pictures off my camera, I will upload some and share with you what is one of the most stunning visages of man made art and royal trappings that exist in the world.  Until then, you'll have to take my word for it.  (I brought the wrong connector from my camera to my PC and really don't want to buy another until it is convenient.)   We finished up around three hours later and barely scraped the surface.   Time for lunch.

One thing that I can say about Russian waiters and food service.  It sucks.  You are lucky, upon walking into a restaurant, to be served within forty minutes.  We have traipsed all through St. Petersburg now and our favorite place to eat, so far, is a Georgian restaurant that fed us a unique Georgian cheese baked into a bread.  I broke into a meat sweat when I chomped down a huge order of Shashlik.  The bill was around 3000 Rubles.  Not bad considering what we ate and drank.  Again, the cost of living here is great for an American exchanging dollars for Rubles.

I want to close by sharing with you the most convenient place to eat.  It is on the corner of where Italianskaya meets the canal at Blood of Our Saviour.   There is a deceptive coffee bar outside that also serves fresh apelsinovyi sok.  BUT, if you go inside, they have a cafeteria style restaurant that you push a tray past a bunch of chefs.  Their salat is delish.  Their meat is good.  And you can be eating your food three minutes after walking in the door.  Moreover, we had a late lunch today and went all out for a paltry 1000 rubles. 

There are true bargains here to be had if you know where to look.  This is one of them.

Bye for now .....

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:13:28 AM by jone »

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:45 AM »
Jone, that sounds very much like a place I ate at before, hmmmm on my way to Mars park... but that was 6-7 years ago.....as the mind slowly fades... ah, memories though
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541327
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843