It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Wife wants to change name in Russian passport  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Scooter1

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Wife wants to change name in Russian passport
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:58:18 AM »
Hi there
I am from the UK and recently married my Russian wife. We currently live in Dubai.
We would like to change her family name in her Russian passport, so that we can then change her name in her international passport.
However, we cannot understand the process to do this.
Does anyone have any advice or experience of this?
Many thanks
Steve

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
Re: Wife wants to change name in Russian passport
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:48 AM »
Hi Steve,

We never bothered as it meant changing her name in the RU internal. passport, first - and changing ownership docs re property

THAT involves a stay in Russia as once the int passport is changed - then the intl passport needs changing

the UK recognised our marriage in Cyprus and even when travelling - never caused us an issue - as we take a copy of the marriage cert

As far as the UK govt are concerned re driving licence, tax, national insurance, she has my surname - for banking purposes she retained her own name

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:02:32 AM by msmob »

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:39:13 AM »
We married in RU so changed her name via the marriage certificate.  Was very complicated to get it all done in both countries, and at the risk of her new surname ending up as some transliterated gibberish.  Took some arm twisting, a couple trips back and some luck to get it right.

Might not be worth the effort.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 07:03:35 AM »
Foolish for woman to change her name after marriage . . . in any country.

And especially so in international marriage situations with issues of spelling, multiple identity documents, property holdings, etc., etc.

Plus the big PIA when the divorce occurs down the line and she wants to change everything back.

The woman can have a dual life anyway with her original name on all documents and they can be referred to as Mr and Mrs His Last Name on social invitations, etc.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Ranetka

• Back to Earth from Cloud Nine
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
1. She needs to put apostile on marriage certificate. Assuming you married in the Uk it needs to be done in the UK (by post)
2. Marriage certificate with apostile on it needs to be translated and notarised. This can be done either in Russia or in Russian consulate either Dubai or U.K. She needs to enquire at consulate about the notary ( uk consulate has all info online, Dubai I am not sure)
3. Based on her marriage certificate she needs to change internal passport in Russia (by law 10 working days max, changed mine last year)
4. Return to Dubai without changing international passport.
5. Change international passport in either Dubai or U.K. (Changed mine in Uk just over a year ago, waiting time was about two months,not sure about Dubai obviously.

All in all should be no issues. In the passport office in Russia they might start getting funny and try to send her to registry office first (zags), it,s up to her, either email passport service first and get confirmation that they will change it based on marriage certificate (someone I know done that) or go to zags and change name there first ( allow extra couple of days and have birth certificate with her - I have done that)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:13:25 AM by Ranetka »
There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »
P.s. International passport can be changed either in Russia or abroad, if she has limited time to wait in Russia then she might want to go for consulate, this is what I have recommended.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
P.p.s. The consulate can be easier, if there is a difference between how your surname is spelled and what is French transliteration of your surname ( what Russia is using) she can request from consulate to use English spelling, consulates are more familiar with these issues). I.e. If your name is smith they will translate it to смит and then transliterated as smit, as she obviously does not want it she needs to put a request through regarding transliteration. I do not know about Dubai but uk consulate is extremely helpful.

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 09:25:53 AM »
P.p.p.s all my documents including property deeds, bank details, driving licence in both Russia and U.K. are on the same name (married name), I find it a lot easier then having multiple identities. Having said that I have never changed name after the divorce since my surname is not unusual in both countries.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »
Hello Ranetka, long time no 'read'. I hope all is well with you. Good info-share re: name change/passports.

On a different branch regarding 'passports' v 'consulate':

Wifey never changed her name on her Russ PP. She, technically, is holding two citizenships. Right now she needed to renew her Russ PP and her option were, without having to travel to Russia, was either schedule a visit to the consulate (we live in La-La Land, consulate in San Fran), or pay an agency to do it for her for $3K. The trick with the consular scheduling was, you go online and inform them of what you need to do. They then send you a response giving you a date to come in. You can't schedule this yourself, they tell you when to come. It could be the next day, which was what happened to her. Sort of silly to me.

She kept trying, it kept happening. 3x...next thing you know - San Francisco Consular office closed, LMAO. So the $3K option it is for her (same price as a new PXG driver, darn!).

Is this the same in the UK for you gals?
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 11:03:30 AM »
Hello Ranetka, long time no 'read'. I hope all is well with you. Good info-share re: name change/passports.

On a different branch regarding 'passports' v 'consulate':

Wifey never changed her name on her Russ PP. She, technically, is holding two citizenships. Right now she needed to renew her Russ PP and her option were, without having to travel to Russia, was either schedule a visit to the consulate (we live in La-La Land, consulate in San Fran), or pay an agency to do it for her for $3K. The trick with the consular scheduling was, you go online and inform them of what you need to do. They then send you a response giving you a date to come in. You can't schedule this yourself, they tell you when to come. It could be the next day, which was what happened to her. Sort of silly to me.

She kept trying, it kept happening. 3x...next thing you know - San Francisco Consular office closed, LMAO. So the $3K option it is for her (same price as a new PXG driver, darn!).

Is this the same in the UK for you gals?

Hello GQB,

Life has been treating me well, thank you. Hope you are good too.

What a silly system! (Still guess it was better then no consulate at all!) I don't remember to be honest, methinks I could choose a slot (otherwise I WOULD remember :-) ). Quick look at the webpage confirms they also have reschedule link.

What name is her American passsport on? I renewed all my passports within last two years and found out when renewing a British one that: 1. Uk still requires me to send them all valid passsports including a Russian one 2. They want all passports to be on the same name and this must be a new requirement.

I don't know what would they do if I did not have my Russian surname changed but really pleased I had it done.

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »
I definitely could choose a slot since I hate driving to London I remember now trying to make sure I have enough time to commute from the coach station...

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Hello GQB,

Life has been treating me well, thank you. Hope you are good too.

Happy to know that! May it continue as such...

What a silly system! (Still guess it was better then no consulate at all!) I don't remember to be honest, methinks I could choose a slot (otherwise I WOULD remember :-) ). Quick look at the webpage confirms they also have reschedule link.

I agree. I don't understand why they make this seem much more troublesome. She tried to reschedule it 3 times and kept giving her the 'next day' slot. Could be just the draw. LA-SF is a 6-7 hour drive, doable on the weekend, but weekdays suggest added difficulties even of she flew RT. She did remarked that for $3K, she may as well use the money and fly to Toronto or Germany to visit either of her sister and renew her passport while there. I know the last time she did this, they weren't doing scheduling and we spent a long weekend in SanFran making it more of a nice break than just renewing her pp.

[
What name is her American passsport on? I renewed all my passports within last two years and found out when renewing a British one that: 1. Uk still requires me to send them all valid passsports including a Russian one 2. They want all passports to be on the same name and this must be a new requirement.

I don't know what would they do if I did not have my Russian surname changed but really pleased I had it done.

She has her married name on her US passport, kept her original name intact on her Rpp. She tells me that Russia is now embarking on requiring a stricter 'tracking' system/protocol for those holding 'two citizenship'. To what extent, we d not know as of yet.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Jumper

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »
Foolish for woman to change her name after marriage . . . in any country.

And especially so in international marriage situations with issues of spelling, multiple identity documents, property holdings, etc., etc.

Plus the big PIA when the divorce occurs down the line and she wants to change everything back.

The woman can have a dual life anyway with her original name on all documents and they can be referred to as Mr and Mrs His Last Name on social invitations, etc.

It was really no big problem, we did not rush into doing so ,it was about 4 years before changing it,but
I cant imagine a life hurdle much lower to jump than that,lol sheesh.
 and with children it's nice to share a *family name* for many reasons.

Offline msmob

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »
A VERY good point...   

Offline Avis

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 08:29:29 AM »
Hi there
I am from the UK and recently married my Russian wife. We currently live in Dubai.
We would like to change her family name in her Russian passport, so that we can then change her name in her international passport.
However, we cannot understand the process to do this.
Does anyone have any advice or experience of this?
Many thanks
Steve

hi Scooter :)
I changed my last name in Oman, not exactly Dubai, but very close.
Not sure if you still around, but can share my experience.
At the end of the day, it is all REALLY down to experience, willingness and kindness of our Consulate workers.
I was VERY lucky with our Russian Consulate in Oman. Quite an experience of its own!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1884
Total: 1895

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM