It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1075668 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1100 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
From Ghost:
Mendy, the 'survey' conducted by Sasha shows a generational split on the current situation in Russia. While young Russians were unequivocal in their answers, saying Russia will win, answers given by older respondents reflect the fact that older Russians take different views of the economic crisis.

Yes, when the older citizens were being interviewed it reminded me of those who still congregate around Stalin's burial site at the Kremlin wall, holding icons and signs about Stalin being their father.

So the whole thing isn't quite hopeless

I hope that you are correct.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline ghost of moon goddess

• Empty cans make the most noise :)
  • Trips: No Selection
If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom.

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1102 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
BTW, dollar is 61 rubles today, so it is getting better

Don't worry...
The currency speculators will be back soon to tank the Rouble.
So enjoy this 'recovery' while you can!

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1103 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »
It is  a staged BS and has nothing to do with this thread
Youtube is full of cr$p like this

Full of crap huh?

Can you be more specific?  What exactly does he say that is in your opinion full of crap?

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1104 on: December 18, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
The Russian people are suffering worse than the Ukrainians.  They will suffer more and they deserve it.  They do not listen to the truth and instead believe the words of murderous scoundrel and that is the nicest thing I can say about the Russian president.

He also has earned an internationally earned moniker.  High time we be allowed to use it here.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1105 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:02 PM »
BTW Doll, were Putin a visionary leader, or even a good leader, he would have been working to diversify Russia's economy.  To have 50% of state revenue reliant on one resource is not smart because, when it collapses, as Russia now knows, so does the country's currency and standard of living.
I have always maintained that Russia was really no different from Ukraine.  The only difference is, Russia has vast commodity wealth.  Russia also went much further in reining in its oligarchs, but its economic prosperity was not deep.

I was very impressed when I went to Russia in 2008, after not having been there for a few years.  The roads were better, the people energized, the farmland looked like the fields had been tilled and were producing.  However, progress is made, not through technology, or oil revenues, but through infrastructure.  Roads.  Hospitals.  Commodity (food and staples) distribution centers.  All of these items are now on hold in Russia. 

In the former Soviet Union, people deferred to the whim of the government.  We are getting to that point again.  The  reverse sanctions essentially create an embargo on foreign food stuffs.  The investment in transportation and health care was conducted by foreign banks.  For those of you who read Chekhov, this is a truly Dreary Story.  It reminds me that the country is a figurative Uncle Vanya, floating around aimlessly while Putin tries to construct a rambling house of a superpower around a flailing useless life.  So enters Russia into the harshest of winters.  Somehow, I think this would be an age that Chekhov would love to write about.

Sorry.  I get carried away when I read my favorite authors.  Pushkin is much more upbeat.  They have a Pushkin amusement park for little children right in the middle of Nikolaev (Mykolaiv).  It is a very happy place.  Someday I'll pull out the pictures.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:35:34 PM by jone »
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1106 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
The Russian people are suffering worse than the Ukrainians.  They will suffer more and they deserve it.  They do not listen to the truth and instead believe the words of murderous scoundrel and that is the nicest thing I can say about the Russian president.

He also has earned an internationally earned moniker.  High time we be allowed to use it here.

I wish you would stop posting nonsense.

The Russian people are NOT suffering worse than Ukrainians. And if they suffer, well, they are used to it. Big Fcuking deal.

Also, every major country have their own murdering scoundrel that they adore.

And finally, whatsa matter with you? You imply huilo but don't type it? What gives?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Muzh

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1107 on: December 18, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »
Here's a little tidbit from a Russian analyst.

The impact of the currency crash on Russian foreign policy
The Russian currency crash on Monday and Tuesday is likely to reduce the chances for Russian leaders to initiate new foreign adventures and may well result in efforts to make a deal on Ukraine. Vladimir Putin and his allies realize that in an economic downturn, they won’t have the financial resources to undertake efforts to destabilize other neighboring states. Instead, we should be looking for Russia to undertake some retrenchment, with Putin to try to calm things down a bit in the hope that he can persuade EU states to allow the sanctions they have in place against Russia to expire. This would allow for market sentiment to improve somewhat, which Russian leaders hope would allow the ruble to strengthen even if continuing U.S. sectoral sanctions mean that a corporate liquidity crisis is inevitable.

Russian leaders recognize that for European sanctions to end, the conflict in eastern Ukraine needs to be resolved. It is no coincidence that the situation in the Donbas has been calmer in recent days than at any time since last spring. While I imagine that neither the Russian nor European sides at this point know exactly what it would take to call off the sanctions regime, Russian leaders may be hoping that even a partial stabilization of the conflict may be enough to prevent EU member states from reaching consensus on renewing the sectoral and financial sanctions that are particularly economically painful to both sides and that are due to expire in July and August 2015.

Given this analysis, one might be surprised that Putin didn’t express more of an intent to compromise in his press conference today. But anyone expecting a soft line in this forum doesn’t understand how Putin operates. The press conference is first and foremost a PR opportunity for a domestic audience. In such a forum, he has to maintain his position in order to reassure his base that he’s not changing course. Even if he wanted to compromise, he wouldn’t announce it at the press conference. In fact, I doubt that he’d announce it publicly at all.

Instead, we should watch Russian actions in coming weeks/months. They will provide a better indication of Putin’s next move(s). But at the same time, I don’t expect much more in the next few months than an effort to avoid further escalation. I think that for now the leadership thinks it can still wait this out, that oil prices will rise sometime in 2015, that the EU will fail to agree to renew sanctions next summer. This is not 1998. Russia has the reserves to wait out the hard times, if they only last a year or two.

http://russiamil.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/the-impact-of-the-currency-crash-on-russian-foreign-policy/
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1108 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
Obama says he has passed new sanctions against Russia into law,but will wait to impose them on Russia to calibrate them with new EU sanctions against Russia.
Just saying it like it is.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1109 on: December 18, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
Looks like we are screwing ourselves in the process...another crazy day in the stock market...the end result... down another 100+ points again today, after being up 250 at one point...Our economy is showing some frailness, although I do think/hope it will recover.

The US stock market is up over 700 points in the last two days, which is just one reason why it's not a good idea to try to time the market.  And it doesn't look very frail, at least not yet.   :popcorn:

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1110 on: December 18, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »

I wish you would stop posting nonsense.

The Russian people are NOT suffering worse than Ukrainians. And if they suffer, well, they are used to it. Big Fcuking deal.

Also, every major country have their own murdering scoundrel that they adore.

And finally, whatsa matter with you? You imply huilo but don't type it? What gives?

The moderators threatened me and others for use of that word in describing the Russian President

So just to clarify, you do or do not ascribe Russian complicity to Putin crimes.  I need to know because if you agree with Mendy then Nuremberg is meaningless.

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1111 on: December 18, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
Putin palace coup in Russia is impossible, because there palaces

Russian President Vladimir Putin assured that rebellion against him would not be

He said at news conference, reports Espreso.TV ,

"Calm down, we will not palace coups, because we do not have palaces"

"The Kremlin is well protected and it is a factor of stability of the state" - said Putin.

http://espreso.tv/news/2014/12/18/putin_palacovyy_perevorot_v_rosiyi_nemozhlyvyy__bo_nema_palaciv
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline jone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1112 on: December 18, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Hey, AC,

Your new avatar?  Is that your current squeeze?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Gator

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1113 on: December 18, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »
BTW, dollar is 61 rubles today, so it is getting better

Rapid declines usually overshoot fair value.  The question is whether this is a dead cat bounce

Currency markets can be influenced by insiders, especially if the Russian Central Bank is actively involved in speculation as Jone disclosed (I did not know that).   Perhaps it is inside speculators playing the general public, stampeding them to sell their rubble  for dollars to avoid perceived risk.  Perhaps it is major Russian corporations having to pay their dollar debt. 

We know only one fact: there are more sellers than buyers.

Are there any statistics on the volume of currency exchange as there are with stock sales?   If the volume is not high, this would smell of some Russian insiders.    I avoid currency market because it is a zero sum game and there are big traders much smarter than me.   And for the case of Russia quite possibly the dealers are controlling the throttle. 

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1114 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
Here's a little tidbit from a Russian analyst.

The impact of the currency crash on Russian foreign policy

Instead, we should watch Russian actions in coming weeks/months. They will provide a better indication of Putin’s next move(s). But at the same time, I don’t expect much more in the next few months than an effort to avoid further escalation. I think that for now the leadership thinks it can still wait this out, that oil prices will rise sometime in 2015, that the EU will fail to agree to renew sanctions next summer. This is not 1998. Russia has the reserves to wait out the hard times, if they only last a year or two.

http://russiamil.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/the-impact-of-the-currency-crash-on-russian-foreign-policy/
I do not agree that Russia has the  reserves to last that long--  in 6 months at the current rate the supposed reserves will be minimal and critical.  The previously stated number was approx 785 B  -- but in fact about 50% of that not actually available.The spending of recent times has eaten severely into those existing reserves.
As the author says-- Putin will keep trying to bluff it out-even if only for internal consumption.
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline jone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1115 on: December 18, 2014, 05:34:41 PM »
Damn, I thought at least one reader would comment and endorse my 'Long Winter' Chekhov quote. 

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1116 on: December 18, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
Damn, I thought at least one reader would comment and endorse my 'Long Winter' Chekhov quote.

Hey-we all read it!1 I smirked-that good enough? Or you want applause with standing ovation !! :clapping: :welcome:

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1117 on: December 18, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
Hey, AC,

Your new avatar?  Is that your current squeeze?

Yes, my current squeeze is a famous Czech model.   ;D

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1118 on: December 18, 2014, 05:43:21 PM »

Is that an inet relationship?  Or real life imagination !! ;D

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1119 on: December 18, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
Is that an inet relationship?  Or real life imagination !! ;D

I'm dating her twin sister.   :P

Offline Anotherkiwi

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1120 on: December 18, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »

Named Skoda?  :D

Offline AC

• Banned Member

Offline Anotherkiwi

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1122 on: December 18, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1123 on: December 18, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
I wonder how much the superstructure cost!

Who needs economic sanctions?  Just unleash a few enhanced femen bots like her on Putin during the next summit and watch the guy blow a gasket! 

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1124 on: December 19, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »
I need to know because if you agree with Mendy then Nuremberg is meaningless.

Oh dear.

LT, I've been very clear on my support for Ukraine in this matter, and at great personal cost I'd add. I just have the ability to see and know many fine Russian people, in addition to those for whom I have incalculably deep disagreements. There are some Ukrainians in the East for whom I have great disagreements, also.

I also have first hand knowledge of living and working in a dictatorship, and how that can shape those who are unfortunate enough to be trapped inside. Your view that people long to be free and simply choose to be misled, instead of breaking out in revolt, is naive. I do recall that it took almost 80 years to throw off the Soviet yoke.

To say that Nuremberg is meaningless is a silly statement, and you are especially far off course when attempting to pin that viewpoint on myself.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:50:46 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541006
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 12
Guests: 1886
Total: 1898

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM