It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Moscow the Beautiful  (Read 13511 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Moscow the Beautiful
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »

Moscow is often assigned second place to Saint Petersburg when it comes to beauty. We disagree, and although Peter is indeed beautiful, we believe such honours belong to Moscow.

Mendy,

Moscow is a beautiful city.    It somehow has retained a sense of human scale around its sights.  This is a remarkable achievement considering 1) Moscow houses both the government and commercial centers of a large industrialized  nation, 2) it is surrounded by the sprawl of a population of 15 million, and 3) the per capita income is less than other top cities.     

In comparison with St. Piter, Moscow indeed contains churches more grand.   Including the  Golden Ring, one can say there are more important sights, museums, etc.  in Moscow.   

Given my praise of Moscow, I still vote for St. Piter as Number One.  St. Piter appeals more to me because of its general layout (canals, parks, preserved 18th C architecture), scale (it is walker friendly), and the sights, especially the  Hermitage.  To international travelers, both cities are "must sees."   

The Holy Trinity is a beautiful church.  Nice touch to have matching port-a-potties.  LOL

I came upon this Moscow church serendipitously while driving around Moscow.  From afar the azure domes made me think I was in Iran among the magnificent  turquoise mosques there.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:04:48 AM by SANDRO43 »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »
:-)

We live a few km outside of the city limits, so I agree that my little village doesn't count. But that leaves Moscow as a choice. LOL
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 08:36:35 PM »
:-)

We live a few km outside of the city limits, so I agree that my little village doesn't count. But that leaves Moscow as a choice. LOL

Your home is how far  past the outer ring road?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »
Depending on traffic it can be anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes south. I like it best when it is 10 minutes.  :D
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541311
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701