It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My Wife's Phone Calls Today  (Read 4891 times)

Offline chooter

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
My Wife's Phone Calls Today
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »
This afternoon while my wife and the grands were romping around on the lake water skiing, boogie boarding behind the boat, riding the tube behind the boat and whatever else they could figure out to do her phone rang several times. We don't answer calls we don't recognize.

She had a few exciting calls the last couple of days:

Cool Aid Air Conditioning: 305-974-1399

Breast Cancer Awareness: 305-974-1399

Google Ads: 305-974-1399

Travel Agent: 305-974-1399

Your Local ISP: 305-974-1399

Power Company: 305-974-1399

This is an everyday number on our phones and we've blocked it but it still keeps coming.

Google the number and I'll add to that. Anytime you get numbers you're not sure of Google the number if you didn't already know to do that. I had one this weekend again. Help Is On The Way:123-555-1234

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:24:14 PM by chooter »
The final step to happiness or the disaster of your life, marriage can be great thing or ruin you.
Take the risk or stay lonely?

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: My Wife's Phone Calls Today
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »

There is a phonecomplaint.com

What we usually get is ....

unknown
  unavailable

Not much consumers can do about that.

But how I wish >:D
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Rick4G

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
Gotten a few from 728 area code which is an unassigned area code scammers are using.   I usually never answer unknown numbers either and have received California,  new york, florida and Michigan on my US phone in past week but on the flip side, my Ukrainian phone has received calls from St Petersburg,  Ekaterinburg and other Russian numbers so Im guessing scammers have a way to obtain numbers from list sellers probably without paying

Offline alex330

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »
305-974-1399

Miami area code. Ground zero for telemarketing fraud.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:15:24 PM by alex330 »

Offline chooter

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
Gotten a few from 728 area code which is an unassigned area code scammers are using.   I usually never answer unknown numbers either and have received California,  new york, florida and Michigan on my US phone in past week but on the flip side, my Ukrainian phone has received calls from St Petersburg,  Ekaterinburg and other Russian numbers so Im guessing scammers have a way to obtain numbers from list sellers probably without paying

They're robo calls spoofing numbers using computers behind proxie servers. Russia and Brazil are the two leading countries that do this. We also own a small datacenter and use to have to fight Russia all the time. My wife and daughters got tired of it so they blocked all of Russia's ip number ranges and that stopped that.

I put this up another time on another thread so here it is again. Cyber warfare in real time. Give it time to load.

http://map.norsecorp.com/
The final step to happiness or the disaster of your life, marriage can be great thing or ruin you.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »

Government set up a do not call list. Telemarketers are supposed to check on the numbers that are registered in the link below. You can also report telemarketers at this site that continue to bother you after a month of you registering your phone numbers. Tell wifey not to be entering contests and doing things that take and sell her number to telemarketers.

http://www.donotcall.gov/
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »
The 'donotcall' setup will only stop regular mainline businesses.

Doesn't do anything to stop  the robo calls from the shyksters.

And even our best and brightest government IT workers haven't found a way to track these people down and stop them.  I remember reading a few months back  that Federal government was asking the general public for suggestions about  how to stop this nonsense.

Why can't the NSA guys, Microsoft guys, Apple guys, etc., figure this mess out and help stop it?

How are we going to counteract the foreign government agencies that are infiltrating our computer systems if we can't even stop homegrown robo calls?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »

People can complain about a telephone number at the site and I suspect the site will shut the number down after enough complaints but a smart company will get a new number and flood people with calls and repeat the process to get around the law. It doesn't take much to block numbers on a mobile phone anyway. I don't answer any calls from out of state unless it's from relatives.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline chooter

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:58 PM »
The 'donotcall' setup will only stop regular mainline businesses.

Doesn't do anything to stop  the robo calls from the shyksters.

And even our best and brightest government IT workers haven't found a way to track these people down and stop them.  I remember reading a few months back  that Federal government was asking the general public for suggestions about  how to stop this nonsense.

Why can't the NSA guys, Microsoft guys, Apple guys, etc., figure this mess out and help stop it?

How are we going to counteract the foreign government agencies that are infiltrating our computer systems if we can't even stop homegrown robo calls?

Most of the robo calls coming from Russia and Brazil will show a spoofed US number on your caller id. Anyone can buy computer programs that let you change how the name and number looks on your caller id. Debt collectors love it.

Most phone number spoofers do this behind a proxy server and using a browser called TOR. I think the US government built the TOR browser. It let's you surf the web without your ip number being tracked. Anyone can download it. My wife and daughters use it for legit purposes not spoofing. 

http://www.torproject.org/

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
donotcall doesn't help. Telemarketers check nothing.
Private name/ private number... who would you report?
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 06:21:32 PM »
Private name/ private number... who would you report?

One should be able to set their phones to not accept private numbers. There will be an option for that person to allow their private number to be posted if they want to make the call.

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 07:15:25 PM »
The way it works is this:

BIG telecoms, like ATT, Verizon, Level3 etc. have millions of numbers (called DIDs) in their inventory. 

Some they use for themselves, some they rent out on a monthly basis, to their master resellers.

Those resellers, in turn, rent out the DIDs at a markup, to smaller resellers; and some of those, allow anyone with a credit card to buy a number, and have it route to the destination of their choice, which can be either a more traditional switch, or more often these days, to an Internet server that runs the needed VOIP server software (which, such as Asterisk and FreeSwitch, are open source and freely available).

So, startup costs - rent a server or virtual server for as little as $20 per month; buy one or more numbers for as little as 25 cents each, per month.  Then pay the per-minute fees for "termination" which is the actual phone call that goes from "them" to "you" - there are hundreds of such companies that sell VOIP termination; for USA calling per-minute can be much less than 1 penny per minute.

So, you decide to complain, even IF you can figure out who to complain to, the most likely response will be "we terminated that number" - meaning, the spammer will just use a different number - cost to them, maybe 25 cents to get a new number.

Even IF it goes farther than that, they can just say "yeah the call originated from our server, but, we must have got hacked by Romanians" - and then they close the account, sign up at a different server provider, use new numbers and start again.

Even IF it goes farther, usually they are fly by night operations and so there is no money to recover, or money available for them to pay the fine.

Finally, if the company that rented the server or made the calls, is in a different jurisdiction, or in a different country, that adds to the difficulty. 

Anyone in the world who can pay $100 via credit cards, can rent a USA DID,  can set up all the above, manage the server remotely over their Internet connection, and do this.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Lily

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 04:27:21 AM »
As for me, I got rid of a stationary landline home phone years ago. People I know did the same.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline chooter

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
One should be able to set their phones to not accept private numbers. There will be an option for that person to allow their private number to be posted if they want to make the call.

You can buy phones that has that option on them. Our home phones will give a recording saying this phone does not accept private, non published, unknown, anonymous and out of state calls when one of those calls come in. My wife bought ours at a Best Buy store in Atlanta. I saw one last week in Walmart that does the same thing.

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
Call 1-888-382-1222, from the telephone line that you want blocked, to prevent computer-generated calls from telemarketers. Enter your telephone number. Repeat for any additional lines you wish to have personal calls blocked on. Open the email that is generated by the telephone call and follow the instructions to complete the registration.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6910214_block-computer-telephone-calls.html

Offline ML

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »
Call 1-888-382-1222, from the telephone line that you want blocked, to prevent computer-generated calls from telemarketers. Enter your telephone number. Repeat for any additional lines you wish to have personal calls blocked on. Open the email that is generated by the telephone call and follow the instructions to complete the registration.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6910214_block-computer-telephone-calls.html

Is this different from the 'do not call' sign up?

The 'do not call', 'do not work' as advertised.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 05:01:38 AM »
In the UK, some guy developed a piece of kit for the home phone that blacklists all incoming tel numbers - apart from emergency services -  and you have to ADD 'whitelist'-  tel numbers from which you want to receive the calls.

Extreme - but it was making him rich  - last I heard- such was the level of intrusion from overseas callers not bound by EU privacy laws.

On mobile / cellular devices you can blacklist numbers - but how well that works depends on your provider and how fact the unwelcome callers update their caller ids
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1868
Total: 1879

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM