It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ukraine-The Future  (Read 208814 times)

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Ukraine-The Future
« Reply #850 on: January 22, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
It is always interesting to read survey results and the potential conclusions . Much of interest in these results.One of the things ( many things)  I have often been critical of on the forum here is when guys/girls etc make broad pronouncements based on a very shallow exposure from a short time  in Ukraine and to use what was gleaned from immediate family etc as a statement of the situation in Ukraine.
An example I have often quoted was the very fast moving and changing situation in 2014 -- people changed &  voiced their views as they gained confidence in Ukraine.
In this survey -- the areas defined as more Russian speaking are still less overt in  being negative towards Russia.

An interesting point on an area often commented on this forum --is the "sympathy" of the over 35 yo ages towards the USSR days !

What do Ukrainian Youth Think about Russian Aggression in Ukraine?

The events of recent years that affected a part of Ukrainian youth personally, such as the Euromaidan, annexation of Crimea, the anti-terrorist operation in Eastern Ukraine, and forced relocation due to military actions in Donbas, could not but influence their perception of relations with Russia. The opinion poll, analyzed by the New Europe Center, reflects the sentiments that are already affecting and will further influence domestic and foreign policy priorities of Ukraine.

Below we present key findings of the survey on youth perception of Russian aggression in Ukraine and Ukrainian-Russian relations. This list, however, is only the tip of the iceberg, as the nuances and detailed analysis are contained in the report.

http://medium.com/@NEC_Ukraine/what-do-ukrainian-youth-think-about-russian-aggression-in-ukraine-7d913aad967
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #851 on: January 22, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
It is always interesting to read survey results and the potential conclusions...In this survey -- the areas defined as more Russian speaking are still less overt in  being negative towards Russia.

Yes, JayH, it's very interesting - but it would give a much better picture if it included respondents from Donetsk and Luhansk.  I realise that it may be logistically extremely difficult to do so, but any results without those regions included are naturally going to severely skew the responses.

I don't for a moment support the Russian annexation of Crimea or the invasion of Eastern Ukraine, but the youth in those areas are entitled to as much of a say, in a survey such as this, as those in the rest of the country.  Finding a way to hear that voice is a project which is definitely worthy of someone's time and effort.

Offline JayH

« Reply #852 on: January 22, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »
Yes, JayH, it's very interesting - but it would give a much better picture if it included respondents from Donetsk and Luhansk.  I realise that it may be logistically extremely difficult to do so, but any results without those regions included are naturally going to severely skew the responses.

I don't for a moment support the Russian annexation of Crimea or the invasion of Eastern Ukraine, but the youth in those areas are entitled to as much of a say, in a survey such as this, as those in the rest of the country.  Finding a way to hear that voice is a project which is definitely worthy of someone's time and effort.

I have previously linked material from those areas.
As you say -- it is difficult to assess those areas --but note--the survey did include displaced people from those areas.
Going back some time -I posted material on Crimea that basically contradicted  the general view ( and often stated here by people that should know better!) that Crimea had overwhelming support fro Russia . The problem back then is the sheer weight of the Troll army bombarding the world with a distortion.
Likewise ,recent surveys in the east have been done under great difficulty -- but- even so -- the support for Russia was not in a majority. That was not the same age group as seen above -- and that would be interesting to see if it did hold there.

Regardless --Ukraine has to get on with the future and as such ,plan for all possible scenarios.

As a rider -- I do not agree that there is any benefit in conceding any Ukrainian sovereign territory to Russia in any circumstance. There are many loyal Ukrainians stuck in Crimea and the Donbass.That is not a solution-- but an invitation for future trouble from Russia. Only a clear decisive message will ever be understood by Russia -- not the western wavering inadequate waffling.
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #853 on: January 23, 2018, 04:01:45 AM »
I have previously linked material from those areas.
As you say -- it is difficult to assess those areas --but note--the survey did include displaced people from those areas.
Going back some time -I posted material on Crimea that basically contradicted  the general view ( and often stated here by people that should know better!) that Crimea had overwhelming support fro Russia . The problem back then is the sheer weight of the Troll army bombarding the world with a distortion.
Likewise ,recent surveys in the east have been done under great difficulty -- but- even so -- the support for Russia was not in a majority. That was not the same age group as seen above -- and that would be interesting to see if it did hold there.

Regardless --Ukraine has to get on with the future and as such ,plan for all possible scenarios.

As a rider -- I do not agree that there is any benefit in conceding any Ukrainian sovereign territory to Russia in any circumstance. There are many loyal Ukrainians stuck in Crimea and the Donbass.That is not a solution-- but an invitation for future trouble from Russia. Only a clear decisive message will ever be understood by Russia -- not the western wavering inadequate waffling.

JayH

If you wish to show 'solidarity' why do you persist in using the Russian translit ( rather than the UA one) for Donbas....  You might as well write 'Kiev' ...

You are talking out of your arse about the ethnic make-up of Crimea - whilst it is true that Crimeans were largely content to be autonomous  - most of 'em always felt Russian and it didn't take too much stirring the pot from Moscow to awaken the chance to be back under Moscow - when "the west oversaw the removal of Yanu'" and "a Nazi junta took control"( Do note the inverted commas ..)

Donbas, another kettle of fish - it was more integrated into Ukraine - not so autonomous - the younger generation spoke both languages and I saw no problem in flying a UA flag at Euro 2012

This has been a battle for control of resources, there, really..  old scores between Oligrachs fiefdoms under a pretext of 'liberation' ..

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #854 on: January 23, 2018, 05:51:41 AM »
This has been a battle for control of resources, there, really..  old scores between Oligrachs fiefdoms under a pretext of 'liberation' ..

There's a little more to it than that. Three of my coworkers came to Rostov from the Donbass, Two of them, both from Donetsk are absolutely livid about the removal of Yanu, are very anti-Ukraine and have applied for Russian citizenship. The other one , from Lugansk  is more pro-Ukrainian and wishes to return but has had difficulties with the Ukrainian government because she is from the area of conflict. I believe she has now finally been given permission to return.

Otherwise, I largely agree with your arguments. JayH and ML are both too anti-Russian to see or accept reality.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:37:19 PM by mhr7 »
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #855 on: January 23, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
It was mostly about gaining access to the assets of the region.  The GRU who arrived inflamed that, in support of Russian interests.  There is proof that not only Akhmetov, but Yanukovych, were funding militias in Donbas.

As for Jay and ML, I understand their sentiment.  They both know families who have lost loved ones in the war.  That tends to inflame passions.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline JayH

« Reply #856 on: January 23, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »

Otherwise, I largely agree with your arguments. JayH and ML are both too anti-Russian to see or accept reality.

Actually --it is the other way around!
Eg -- look at my attitude to the damage Trump is doing to America -- your conclusions equal about the same as mine. Does that make you ( or me)  anti American? The answer is no.
If Trump initiates an unprovoked  nuclear attack on NK that results in millions of deaths -- as an American -- would you be feel culpable? If your attitude was a strong negative that would differentiate you from the likes of  silly Billy who cheering Trump on,effectively encouraging him.
You are smart enough to understand my point here.

Offline mhr7

« Reply #857 on: January 23, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
Eg -- look at my attitude to the damage Trump is doing to America -- your conclusions equal about the same as mine. Does that make you ( or me)  anti American? The answer is no.
If Trump initiates an unprovoked  nuclear attack on NK that results in millions of deaths -- as an American -- would you be feel culpable? If your attitude was a strong negative that would differentiate you from the likes of  silly Billy who cheering Trump on,effectively encouraging him.

True, I am very anti-Trump but my issues with him are kept to conversations with friends and family and here. Many Russians know what's going on in their country and will discuss it in the same manner. Just as there is nothing I can do to impede Trump, Russians know they can't impede the actions of Putin. To assert that all Russians are complicit, as I believe you have, is simply wrong. I should have been more specific in my disagreement.

There's not much you can do about the decisions of politicians, especially in Russia. I don't agree with much Putin does but I don't let it impact my life and my decision to work in Russia. In actuality, Putin is seen by many as the linchpin keeping the Russian government and Russia in general together. With Putin there is stability. So, better the devil you know......
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:41:14 PM by mhr7 »
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline msmob

« Reply #858 on: January 24, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »

JayH... 

You wrote this in another thread..

"Moby -- it is YOU THAT DOES NOT GET IT !!!! :cluebat:
ML has often made the point --when all Russians do "get" the idea that they are responsible --yes-each and every one of them that stays silent is complicit in the invasions and deaths of Ukrainians."

How 'black' are your pots , Mr Kettle ? ;)

Offline JayH

Ukrainian factory makes boards for world champion windsurfers
« Reply #859 on: May 28, 2018, 12:12:12 AM »
This story is an example of comments I have made on various aspects  of Ukraine.It is possible to do business with a decent attitude - and principles.!

ZHYTOMYR, Ukraine — When the Grolitsch family from Austria opened a factory making ironing boards in Ukraine 15 years ago, they couldn’t imagine that one day they would make windsurfing boards for the world’s top athletes.

Ukrainian factory makes boards for world champion windsurfers

Working in Ukraine

Eurogold recently doubled the size of its premises in the outskirts of Zhytomyr city to 80,000 square meters. Grolitsch says he sees his business continuing to be based in Ukraine, due to the country’s proximity to Europe, good logistics routes, and abundance of raw materials.

With 1,200 workers, the factory is currently one of the major employers in the region. And, like many other businesses in Ukraine, it is having trouble finding enough workers, especially shop floor workers and young people with technical education, Grolitsch says.

The people are what he values the most in Ukraine, although he grumbles about the short-term thinking of Ukrainians. “They want a quick profit, and this mentality really has to change.”

At the height of his 15-year experience of running a successful business in Ukraine, Grolitsch has some advice to foreign entrepreneurs who consider investing in the country.

“Never pay a cent of bribes and do not come here thinking you can do whatever you want,” he says. “There are strict rules you have to obey.”

http://www.kyivpost.com/business/ukrainian-factory-makes-boards-for-world-champion-windsurfers.html

Offline JayH

“Why I returned to Ukraine”
« Reply #860 on: July 16, 2018, 11:33:24 PM »
Recently on the forum here we heard from a new member  based in  the south-west of Ukraine who went on to make various highly debatable  and numerous outright incorrect statements .
Her view  were not new to me -- back in 2014 when the Russian agents and disinformation was in full swing it was effective enough-particularly to those already a little sympathetic to Russia.It was a time of considerable confusion in Ukraine.

In the course of only a few months ( as the ongoing Russian invasion expanded) and Ukrainians started getting a much better handle on their situation peoples opinions shifted rapidly.In the course of that year  many people who were ambivalent become believers in Ukrainian nationalism  -- and started to see the hope of a nation free of Russian oppression.

There are people that believe in Ukraine -- despite all the negatives still faced .

This story also needs to be read by some of the ignorant here on the forum who think they can pick up a wife on the cheap who is "desperate" to leave.

“Why I returned to Ukraine”

Lisa Yasko studied at Oxford University and had the world at her feet but says the opportunity to be part of Ukrainian history was simply too good to miss

The thing that strikes me most of all is the spirit of freedom that shapes Ukrainian society. This struggle for freedom defines Ukrainian history and has found its expression in the way people feel free to say whatever they want. If something undermines our sense of freedom, our spirit of rebellion awakens immediately as if something has stirred deep in our DNA. Alongside this love of freedom, Ukrainian society also boasts a disarming sense of authenticity and honesty. Ukrainians are very straightforward when it comes to expressing ourselves.

Today’s Ukraine is a remarkably dynamic society where change is the norm, providing the promise of social mobility and fresh opportunities as the country embraces a new direction. Yes, there are many challenges that Ukraine still needs to resolve. It is not necessarily easy to see the bigger picture when you are focusing on these day-to-day problems, but I believe the developments taking place in the country become more evident once you adopt a broader perspective. In Kyiv, we see more young people than ever entering the senior ranks of government, business, and the cultural world. Meanwhile, the fashion, creativity and clubbing scenes in the Ukrainian capital are so vibrant that the city is gaining a reputation as “The New Berlin”. Young Ukrainians who are part of the first fully post-independence generation appreciate that it is up to them to build a better country.  More and more young people are taking this responsibility upon themselves.

http://bunews.com.ua/opinion/item/why-i-returned-to-ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #861 on: September 25, 2018, 12:47:15 AM »
In the last couple of days a couple of interesting articles .
In particular --observations of where Ukraine now stands and is trying to go !
There  are many complexities in trying to understand Ukrainian politics -- these 2 articles deal with some of the practical realities -- and in particular how far Ukraine has actually come in looking west.

How Eastern Ukraine Is Adapting and Surviving: The Case of Kharkiv

A pact between Kiev and the leaders of Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine has limited violence and ensured stability, but at the cost of keeping in place corrupt governing practices and forestalling reform.

http://carnegieeurope.eu/2018/09/12/how-eastern-ukraine-is-adapting-and-surviving-case-of-kharkiv-pub-77216

Offline JayH

« Reply #862 on: September 25, 2018, 12:58:46 AM »
A very respected writer makes some interesting observations. Four and more years ago the concept of an independent Ukraine was ridiculed  by a lot of people here on this forum ( &other forums) and the same people who simply did not understand back then-- still cannot adjust  . None of the path Ukraine is on is easy -- the everyday people are bearing the brunt and hurting badly  and doing it hard. The plus is that the foundations for a better future are being laid .The issue of corruption will have to be faced at some time ,preferably soon.

Russian cultural influence, once all-powerful, is also disappearing, partly thanks to official decisions. Ukrainian radio stations — like those in Canada or France — are required to play a certain percentage of Ukrainian-origin songs, and many Russian state television stations are banned on the grounds that they carry war propaganda. Some want to go further

These petty, discriminatory measures are an expression of frustration with a war that doesn’t end. They are also pointless, because a more profound, tectonic shift is already underway. Thanks to the war, and to their anger at its perpetrators, Ukrainians themselves are choosing to speak Ukrainian — more say they do every year.

Thanks to the war, the different regions of this vast country are drawing more closely together. Many complain that the war also gives Ukrainian politicians an excuse not to do things, not to make the radical economic and legal reforms that the country still needs. But thanks to the war, more Ukrainians also identify themselves as “European,” in opposition to Russia, and more Ukrainians understand that this “Europeanness” means they need to be vocal and organized in their desire for change.

It is ironic that the Russian invasion, originally intended to punish Ukraine’s Western-oriented government, has pushed the country in a dramatically different direction. It’s also a reminder that the supposed strategic gifts of Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, are in fact very limited. His interference in Ukraine has made a once-friendly neighboring country into an enemy
. His efforts to unite “Russian-speaking peoples” into a Eurasian bloc persuaded thousands of people to stop speaking Russian.

Putin’s war is transforming Ukraine

When they first arrived in Lviv, a university rector told me, the students who came from Donetsk walked around in packs, speaking loudly in Russian. They didn’t want to speak Ukrainian, as most inhabitants of this city do; they didn’t want to integrate. Lviv is in western Ukraine, near the Polish border. Donetsk, hundreds of miles to the east, has been occupied by Russian-backed “separatists” since the Russian invasion in 2014. The new students were “internally displaced persons” — refugees in their own country.

But that first year ended, and the second year was different. By the third year, the rector told me, the students from western Ukraine and the students from eastern Ukraine were nearly indistinguishable — and they aren’t alone. Four years have now passed since the invasion, and the 1.5 million Ukrainians displaced by the war are coping better than might be expected. Most of those who are of working age have jobs. The majority say they trust their neighbors.

The integration of the Donetsk refugees into schools and communities in the central and western parts of the country is also part of a broader story: the integration of the war into the consciousness of Ukrainians. Although it’s no longer on front pages, the Russian-Ukrainian war continues. One of the Russian-backed separatist leaders was killed in a bomb attack in August. Skirmishes take place most days, and soldiers on both sides die most weeks; there have been more than 10,000 casualties since 2014. Some of Lviv’s baroque churches have chapels dedicated to the victims.

Slowly, the never-ending conflict is altering attitudes here, leading to what a perceptive Atlantic Council report has called “the geopolitical divorce of the century”: the separation of two countries that have been part of the same empire for centuries. Trade between Ukraine and Russia, whose economies have been intertwined since the Middle Ages, has plunged, replaced in Ukraine by trade with Europe and the rest of the world. India, not Russia, is now the largest buyer of Ukrainian food. Ancient religious links between the two countries are dying too: The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has now formally split from Moscow. Even personal ties are fading: With travel now limited by bans on direct flights between the two countries, Ukrainians are less likely to live and work in Russia, and more likely to go to Poland instead.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/putins-war-is-transforming-ukraine/2018/09/23/d56d5a10-bdd7-11e8-8792-78719177250f_story.html?utm_term=.c6afc0fff5c2

Offline msmob

« Reply #863 on: September 25, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »
In the last couple of days a couple of interesting articles .
In particular --observations of where Ukraine now stands and is trying to go !
There  are many complexities in trying to understand Ukrainian politics -- these 2 articles deal with some of the practical realities -- and in particular how far Ukraine has actually come in looking west.

How Eastern Ukraine Is Adapting and Surviving: The Case of Kharkiv

A pact between Kiev and the leaders of Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine has limited violence and ensured stability, but at the cost of keeping in place corrupt governing practices and forestalling reform.

http://carnegieeurope.eu/2018/09/12/how-eastern-ukraine-is-adapting-and-surviving-case-of-kharkiv-pub-77216

Kinda scary that the kind of articles from 'experts' on Ukraine that JayH suggest we need to read use the Ukrainian translit name for Kharkiv and the RUSSIAN one for Kyiv ..

Offline JayH

How Putin Lost Ukraine for Good
« Reply #864 on: January 10, 2019, 02:13:41 AM »
Ukraine’s independence from Russia is Kyiv’s ultimate answer to Putin’s unprovoked imperialism and military aggression. If Mikhail Gorbachev lost the USSR, Putin will go down in history as having “lost Ukraine” for good. As Patriarch Barthomelew put it, a new page in Ukraine’s history has been opened, and it will forever be part of Europe.

How Putin Lost Ukraine for G
ood

Russian President Vladimir Putin will go down in history as having “lost Ukraine” for good. Putin has experienced two “geopolitical tragedies” with the disintegration of the USSR in 1991 and disintegration of the Russian world in 2018.

http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/how-putin-lost-ukraine-for-good

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #865 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30:21 AM »
Five years ago, the Ukrainian version of the ROC was the dominate religious body in Ukraine. Since the illegal annexation of Crimea and the proxy war in the East, Ukrainians, who are regarded as more frequent attenders of religious services, have bolted out the door.

The Metropolitan of Russia's puppet church, Onufriy, refuses to stand in parliament when a moment of silence is declared to honour Ukrainian soldiers who have perished in the fighting.

Russian oriented priests are known to refuse church funerals to Ukrainian soldiers because they have sinned by fighting "brother against brother." Meanwhile there is no such restriction on Russian soldiers (and they are there to be certain) killed in the same battles.

The puppet church also is known to refuse baptisms of children whose parents are serving in the Ukrainian armed forces. No such restrictions on the other side.

On survey that I read recently said that many Ukrainian faithful had migrated to the independent Orthodox bodies, unaware that they were not part of the Moscow puppet church, but felt more comfortable with priests who cared about Ukraine and her citizens. Today those believers, unless they have been hiding under a rock, are well aware of the new church and a vast majority are genuinely excited.

We were standing in line to view the Tomos after it arrived at St Sophia. The line was very long and in plunging temperatures. We sensed an excitement and I spoke with a father and son who described themselves are not religious, but were thankful for anything that broke the back of Russia and the Kremlin. You can feel this attitude everywhere. Ukrainians are fed up and the damage Putin and Kirill have done will last for generations.

I recall the first Minsk agreement meetings when Putin arrived and declared in opening remarks that Russia could not afford to allow Ukraine to migrate to the West. When asked why, he gave the most telling (albeit unbelievably stupid to openly admit) answer: Europe's higher standards on imports/exports, and the system of justice is very different that Russia's and if Russian citizens see that next door it will lead to instability inside the Russian Federation.

It will take a while, but the next move for independence might be Belarus. Belarusians seem to have an intense dislike for the leader of their Russian puppet church, Metropolitan Paul. He is ethnic Russian and for some reason often criticizes his flock as being backward and "simple." Not exactly a good leadership tactic. In a recent Holy Synod meeting of the ROC in Minsk, not one ethnic Belarusian cleric bothered to attend.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Online krimster2

« Reply #866 on: January 14, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »
a high ranking Russian military officer, told me this summer that after the end of 2019, Putin is going to take all of Eastern Ukraine
his plan is to Balkanize Ukraine into 3 different states, Galicia, Kyiv, and NovoRussiya, with NovoRussiya joining Russia
the plan is flexible, so that if an opportunity presents itself it can be taken advantage of, like the March election
also relies on Trump being in power so that there is no US or NATO response...
Americans don't get it that Putin is already at war with the West
the idea that there is going to be peace with Putin, is false!
Putin NEEDS to have the West as his enemy
he has to play a delicate game that requires careful balancing of his moves
but since we make minimal counter-moves against Putin
it's easy for him to win
I think it's TIME to make a STRONG move against Putin
start wacking his money launderers and pin on someone in his inner circle

Offline JayH

Ukraine is a healthy democracy. Putin hates that
« Reply #867 on: April 26, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »
The last thing Putin wants is a successful democracy on his doorstep  proving the Russian BS propaganda wrong again and again.Interesting article covers a lot of intelligent  thinking  on the topic.

The president-elect may be a political novice: but his meteoric rise against the establishment will inspire Russian activists

Putin is in waiting mode. Perhaps that’s because what Ukraine has achieved – a free and fair, genuinely pluralistic election, and the prospect of a democratic transfer of power – is something the Russian president has trouble getting to grips with in his own country.

Zelenskiy’s election proves Ukraine is a healthy democracy. Putin hates that

Nothing will have struck Putin more than the words Ukraine’s new president-elect, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, uttered on the night of his victory: “To all countries of the post-Soviet Union: look at us. Anything is possible!” That particular call for change, and for an overhaul of old power structures, even beyond Ukraine, will not have gone down well in the Kremlin.

So there was the 41-year-old, Ukrainian Volodymyr, challenging the 66-year-old, Russian Vladimir. Zelenskiy, a former comedian and TV producer, has no experience whatsoever of public office. Putin, a former KGB operative, will have ruled for an uninterrupted 25 years, as president or prime minister, when he steps down at the end of his current term in 2024 (that is, if he respects the Russian constitution). Putin has no obvious plan for that transition. Ukraine’s current democratic process, by contrast, is going rather smoothly. Since the demise of the Soviet Union 28 years ago Ukraine has had six presidents, Russia only three.

After Zelenskiy’s election, activists in Russia were asking: could Ukraine hold lessons for us? Why can’t Russians also experience a wave of out-with-the old, in-with-the-new? When Algeria’s long-term president, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, was ousted this month, and when Kazakhstan’s leader, Nursultan Nazarbayev, also stepped down, speculation swirled: Russia’s regime may seem a solid, homogeneous bloc, and Ukraine may look like a political maverick, but perhaps things aren’t so clear cut.

If anything, Ukraine’s vote will have brought yet more proof of how far apart the country has grown from its once-sister republic since communism’s collapse. The war in eastern Ukraine, brought on by Russian military aggression in 2014, is of course part of the explanation. But it’s important too to look at each country’s reading of history. It’s hard to minimise the contrasting ways in which Putin’s Russia and today’s Ukraine approach the Soviet past. That common totalitarian legacy, and how it’s dealt with, is the reason why comparing Ukrainian politics with, say, western brands of populism, is misplaced.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/25/zelenskiy-ukraine-putin-russian

Offline msmob

« Reply #868 on: April 27, 2019, 12:44:10 AM »
Yet another cut and paste without a personal comment from the 'contributor'...

Georgia, Estonia,Latvia, Lithuania, Finland  and Poland are functioning democracies with land borders with Russia...

Not the best written article JayH could have chosen.

Offline JayH

« Reply #869 on: April 27, 2019, 03:20:03 AM »
For those here with a genuine interest   in Ukraine and the FSU generally --these articles linked provide a good general insight into the current situation -- and some real issues.
There is optimism and hope right now that the new President will spark some real action on key issues .He just needs the balls to follow the right script

Enough Ukraine fatigue. The new president will need our help.

While we don’t yet know what sort of president Zelensky will be, it is clear what sort of president Ukrainian citizens want him to be. Opinion polls consistently show Ukrainians want three things from their political leadership. First, they want a statesman who will stand up to Russian aggression and restore Ukraine’s sovereignty. Second, they want a reformer who will take a battering ram to the oligarchic system that corrupts Ukraine’s politics and economy. Finally, they want someone who will strengthen economic growth, boost wages and create jobs.

Those things are easier said than done. Yet if Zelensky truly wants to be a “servant of the people,” he at least knows what his strategic priorities ought to be. And his campaign rhetoric seems to reflect an awareness of these priorities. To counter Russia’s continuing aggression in Ukraine, Zelensky has called for the United States and the United Kingdom to apply greater leverage on Moscow and get off the sidelines of the diplomatic process, which has been monopolized by France and Germany. To fight corruption, he has called for insulating Ukraine’s law enforcement agencies — especially its National Anti-Corruption Bureau and nascent anti-corruption courts — from political interference. To boost the economy, he has recognized that investment is key but that it crucially depends on rule of law and respect for property rights.

If Zelensky is to succeed with an agenda that matches this campaign rhetoric, he will need both domestic and international support. Domestically, he will need a parliament and civil society willing to back reforms. While the current parliament will likely be too fragmented and gridlocked to get much done, parliamentary elections this October offer a near-term opportunity to bring in a strong bloc of reformers. Ukrainian civil society is already a staunch advocate of reforms and will be a key ally if Zelensky chooses to engage it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/04/22/enough-ukraine-fatigue-new-president-will-need-our-help/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ff4b2e4b3037

Offline msmob

« Reply #870 on: April 27, 2019, 04:11:44 AM »
"For those with genuine interest"...

If you have bothered to pay attention to JayH, he'd suggest the new President is 'Russia leaning'..

Online krimster2

« Reply #871 on: April 27, 2019, 06:26:52 AM »
Psssst, tovarisch - adiss-so-da!
s’matree...

http://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-zelenskiy-kolomoyskiy/29888017.html

hmmmmmm........

the IMF just dispatched a team of auditors to the NBU

http://www.unian.info/economics/10531629-ukraine-s-national-bank-expects-imf-mission-to-arrive-in-kyiv-in-mid-may.html

Capitan Krimster of the good ship HMS Itoldyaso

y’all want me to tell ya what’s next or just let it be a surprise to y'all???
I will be in Moscow City Center this August - Oh Joy!!!  Bizness, not pleasure...
Then after that, I have to meet with my "Hungarian Cousins" in Budapest, so I have been learning more Hungarian to give me an edge
Yourogert kvananook" Pretty good, huh?
I'll be in District 8 this time... lotta cool places to check out...
also there's the Hungarian cave-made Pilsner, and wait for it, "on tap"....OMG your taste-buds have mini-hops orgasms...
and the waitresses, they can power small cities with their raw "husky" no makeup, all natural sex appeal, OMG!!!!!!
I feel like a rabbit frozen in the oncoming blinding light and on top of their STUNNING beauty they bring me the best beer I ever had and smile REAL NICE when they bring it!!!..
if that's not half-way to being the perfect woman, then I really don't know what is...
I mean other than Elizabeth Hurley of course...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:41:31 PM by krimster2 »

Offline JayH

« Reply #872 on: April 28, 2019, 03:35:04 AM »
As the situation develops a solid body of opinion is seeing it this way--

‘Look at us: everything is possible’ – Zelenskyi’s existential challenge to Putinism

Whatever policies he adopts or concessions he makes, Volodymyr Zelenskyi has so challenged Vladimir Putin’s vision of the world that he already has turned the Kremlin leader into his mortal enemy, someone who will do everything to ensure that Zelenskyi fails and thus cannot be a model for Russians or other post-Soviet nations, Igor Eidman says.

According to the Russian sociologist, Putin’s autocracy rests on the conviction in the population that there is no possibility of change. “’There’s no alternative to Putin. If no Putin, then who?’ are the chief motive behind support of the powers that be and voting for the current president.”

But if what Zelenskyi has achieved in Ukraine is possible, then change is possible not only there but in Russia and the other post-Soviet states.

“Someone can come in place of Putin, and nothing horrible will happen. In this situation, any bright young politician can knock off the old.”

That sends fears through the Kremlin and the other autocratic regimes in the region.

Consequently, Eidman continues, “now all the efforts of the Kremlin will be directed to assure that in Ukraine ‘again nothing will be achieved.” And that almost certainly means that Putin will do everything he can to “destabilize the situation and discredit the new Ukrainian authorities,” however much he welcomed the loss of Petro Poroshenko.

Zelenskyi’s words, although not much attended to in the West, are echoing through the Russian Federation – see for example, the article in Kazan’s Business-Gazeta headlined “Look at us, everything is possible! How Zelenskyi will apply his ‘Putin’ rating?”

But even more significant is a commentary by Petr Akopov in Vzglyad which asks whether Zelenskyis “will appear in other countries of the former USSR” including explicitly the Russian Federation. That is a new and even more troubling worry for the Putin-style verticals than any “color” revolution.

Akopov stresses that Zelenskyi’s declaration about everything being possible has “attracted the greatest attention both in Russia and in other republics – and it is understandable why that should be the case.”

Someone who seemed to come out of nowhere won and without the obvious support of any foreign forces.

http://euromaidanpress.com/2019/04/25/look-at-us-everything-is-possible-zelenskyis-existential-challenge-to-putinism/

Offline JayH

« Reply #873 on: April 28, 2019, 03:54:50 AM »
The reality is that Ukraine does have a new leader  -- and will need all the support that can be given
Personally- I waver between optimism that he can build on what ha been achieved -- and worry about the many rel issues faced.

Why post a link? Because it details with a wider explanation for all to read for themselves some of the issues being raised now.

"No time to lose

Ukraine doesn’t have time to give Zelenskiy any benefit of the doubt. Russia, and those of Ukraine’s oligarchs who were suppressed during Poroshenko’s rule, are not losing any time in planning their return to power. As with any switch of power in Ukraine, we can expect to see more raider attacks on businesses, and reversals of court decisions.

Poroshenko offered his help to Zelenskiy to provide a smooth transition of power. Zelenskiy should accept it as quickly as possible to make sure he is up-to-date on all of Ukraine’s critical matters.

To avoid a new “25-75” divide, Ukrainians should also unify on the demands that they have for the new president and hold him accountable. The number one demand should be guaranteeing that Zelenskiy will not be influenced by Kolomoisky, making sure that the country’s largest bank, PrivatBank, is not returned to the oligarch."

Ukrainians should be as demanding of Zelenskiy as they were of Poroshenko

The 25 percent

Zelenskiy won the presidential election with an unprecedented 73 percent of the national vote.

But many of the 25 percent of Ukrainians who voted for Poroshenko were not so much pro-Poroshenko as they were anti-Zelenskiy. They were against gambling with their country on someone they know very little about. Some from the other 75 were quick to dismiss them as naïve, and as those who don’t understand Ukraine’s corruption problem. But the 25 percent’s concerns should be heard, as these voters included many highly educated Ukrainian leaders.

Their concerns are obvious: voting for a leader who has no political experience is a risk, and the fact that the leader still hasn’t announced his team and concrete strategy are additional risks for a country at war.

Will he be able to stand up for Ukraine’s national interests against Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, does Russia have any “kompromat” (compromising material or information) against the former comedian, who until recently did a major chunk of his business in Russia? How will he represent Ukraine abroad? Will strategic partners take him seriously? Such questions spring to mind.

http://www.kyivpost.com/article/opinion/op-ed/ilya-timtchenko-ukrainians-should-be-as-demanding-of-zelenskiy-as-they-were-of-poroshenko.html?SuperSocializerAuth=LiveJournal
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:08:45 AM by JayH »

Offline JayH

Zelenskiy laughs off Putin’s plans to give Russian passports to Ukrainians
« Reply #874 on: April 28, 2019, 04:18:56 AM »

Newly elected Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy gave a stinging, sarcastic reply on Facebook late on April 27 to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s proposal to issue Russian passports to citizens of Ukraine in occupied Donbas.

“First of all, I would advise the Russian authorities against attempting to seduce Ukrainian citizens with Russian passports. Of course, there may be people who are still under the influence of propaganda or hope to earn more money to escape criminal responsibility,” said Zelenskiy.

“But what sets Ukraine apart  is that here we have free speech, media and Internet. And that is why we know what Russian passport really means – the right to be arrested for a peaceful protest , the right to have no free and fair elections, the right to forget that inalienable human rights and freedoms even exist,” he said.

“So, do not think that many Ukrainians would like to become “the new oil” that Russian government is trying to turn its people into,” Zelenskiy said.

Zelenskiy laughs off Putin’s plans to give Russian passports to Ukrainians

“We are ready to discuss new conditions for the coexistence of Ukraine and Russia. The true normalization (of relationships) will only take place after a complete de-occupation. Both Donbas and Crimea. Ukraine is not giving up!” Zelenskiy added.

http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/zelenskiy-responses-to-putins-plans-to-issue-russian-passports-in-occupied-donbas.html

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1869
Total: 1880

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM