It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Where in US do many FSUW not want to live?  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Where in US do many FSUW not want to live?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »
Learning to drive after 30? Heh, I taught my wife to drive at 33 on a stick shift. I think someone is being a cheap bastard.

Where does an FSU woman would NOT like to live?

Well, that's easy.

1) Under a bridge.
2) In a trailer
3) In the basement.
4) In a car.

If for some reason she would be upset with living in a nice house out in the burbs, then ship her sorry ass back home.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline northkape

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »
In the seemingly endless amount of letters I have written in the last year,,
I can't remember anyone being much interested in where I live, except for the fact that I live in Norway...

I have like twenty-five pages filled with prewritten scripts, copied from earlier letters,,
then rewritten and saved for reuse in communication with new ladies.
These pages are covering almost all topics I have ever discussed in the last year with Ukraine women.
Nowhere in all of this, is there anything about where I live....

The overwhelming majority of women I communicated with,
where interested in me only, and almost never asked about anything related to where I live.
No one ever asked me directly, a single question about my hometown.

Offline Wayne

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »
I remember that Ken C lived in a Detroit suburb with Lena. They moved to California for her sake.

"O" came from Krasnoyarsk but had plans for NYC.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »
This depends on how much exposure a FSUW has with the US lifestyle. Those not having been here would likely choose places like Manhattan, NY with the farm belt being the last in the list.

Places like LA and Miami are secondary choices and mainly due to the year-round *sunny* lifestyle, hence for many, the eventual migration.

But I also believe this has largely to do with age and what type of life each of these individuals *plan* on having once they get here.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Ade

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
Learning to drive after 30? Heh, I taught my wife to drive at 33 on a stick shift. I think someone is being a cheap bastard.

Well, that's easy.

1) Under a bridge.
2) In a trailer
3) In the basement.
4) In a car.

5) With a cheap/greedy bastid.

;D

Offline Gator

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
And she thinks that she can just get a driver's license and take a car and go wherever she wants, but it isn't that easy for someone pushing 30 who's never driven to learn to drive.

It takes time, yet is necessary for her well being.  And if you really loved her, you would derive joy from teaching her, enough joy to more than compensate for your angst.

Thirty years ago, a senior environmental official from Peking stayed with my family and worked at my company as part of a Department of Commerce exchange program.    He had never ridden in a car before, much less driven one.   My wife taught him to drive.   The first day started with him driving at 3 MPH on our cul de sac with the left tires on the left edge of the pavement.  Two months later he passed the driving test for his license.   

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »

Well, that's easy.

1) Under a bridge.
2) In a trailer
3) In the basement.
4) In a car.

If for some reason she would be upset with living in a nice house out in the burbs, then ship her sorry ass back home.

Certainly not that difficult for me to believe. My wife had never driven until she was 45. Only a year earlier had never ridden a bicycle. FTR, my wife is a very sharp, highly educated woman. A bicycle was just something only a few in her circle had when she was a youngster and as she put it," never had the opportunity to learn, it wasn't a priority". I didn't know this until after she arrived to get married. If just never came up in conversation. As for a car, several of her friends had one and some offered to teach her to drive. She never thought she would own a car so she declined the offers. They had good/reliable public transportation in her city and she never "needed" a car. She quickly learned to ride a bike, not so much for the car.

I wish she had taken up the offers from her friends. The only hard feelings I've had for her or she had for me came as a result of me teaching her how to drive. What a nightmare. I hope to never have to relive those days. I've taught numerous folks to drive including 4 teenagers. I did eventually teach her and we both laugh looking back but, I can assure you it wasn't funny at the time.  :D

That said: if FSUW's ideal location has been challenged, it would be my wife's. I lived in a shithole when she arrived and because of my job, lived in a few after that. I'm sure if she could pick to be in a place with me, it'd be NYC or Chicago or another choice Metro city but, it's not an option and she seems quite content with that.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »

I wish she had taken up the offers from her friends. The only hard feelings I've had for her or she had for me came as a result of me teaching her how to drive. What a nightmare. I hope to never have to relive those days. I've taught numerous folks to drive including 4 teenagers. I did eventually teach her and we both laugh looking back but, I can assure you it wasn't funny at the time.  :D

Boy can I relate to this...a couple years ago my wife and I got pretty heated up when I was trying to help her between her private lessons.  I decided to get out of the car and take the wheel at one point when she incomprehensibly ran a red light and almost got us killed.  I got to say it is much easier to teach a teenager than a full grown woman who just doesn't seem to have the natural coordination or skills. 

Fathertime!   

I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »

Boy can I relate to this...a couple years ago my wife and I got pretty heated up when I was trying to help her between her private lessons.  I decided to get out of the car and take the wheel at one point when she incomprehensibly ran a red light and almost got us killed.  I got to say it is much easier to teach a teenager than a full grown woman who just doesn't seem to have the natural coordination or skills. 

Fathertime!

It was a nightmare. Almost every lesson for the first 2 dozen was a near life changing event. It's the only time I've ever raised my voice to her and of course it was out of panic  ;D

We did get through it but, I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
I tried to teach my wife. After 30 minutes, I figured it wasn't worth my sanity.

Instead, I paid less than $500 to a local Driver's Ed. School with their package. 4 Lessons, the car, accompany my wife with her DMV test (and the use of their car for the test so everything's in tip-top shape)..they even pick and drop-off my wife on schedule each time.

One of the best darn $500.00 that ever left my wallet.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
I tried to teach my wife. After 30 minutes, I figured it wasn't worth my sanity.

Instead, I paid less than $500 to a local Driver's Ed. School with their package. 4 Lessons, the car, accompany my wife with her DMV test (and the use of their car for the test so everything's in tip-top shape)..they even pick and drop-off my wife on schedule each time.

One of the best darn $500.00 that ever left my wallet.

I would have paid 10x's that much or more. She would have no part of it. Ironically enough, she passed the written test when none of the other 5-6 in the room did missing 2 out of 25. Then passed the driving test on the first try. IMHO, she couldn't drive a lick. She's much better now but, I get pure dread to have to ride with her.....LOL

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
Man, my wife told me the very first time the teacher came by to pick her up, he gave her the keys and told her she's driving. LOL. Crazy, crazy dude. LOL.

She said the car had 2 steering wheels, two sets of pedals, etc...she even drove on the freeway the first day. I almost died hearing about it when she called me soon as she got back home so excited! I was so shocked they did this I wanted to sue them for endangerment, both to my wife and the public at large.

:P

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
Man, my wife told me the very first time the teacher came by to pick her up, he gave her the keys and told her she's driving. LOL. Crazy, crazy dude. LOL.

She said the car had 2 steering wheels, two sets of pedals, etc...she even drove on the freeway the first day. I almost died hearing about it when she called me soon as she got back home so excited! I was so shocked they did this I wanted to sue them for endangerment, both to my wife and the public at large.

I found out real quick how difficult it is to be encouraging when your life is constantly flashing before your eyes.  :D

Offline BillyB

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »

My wife got her driving license not too long ago. If any of you don't like the way she drives, get off the sidewalk.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
I found out real quick how difficult it is to be encouraging when your life is constantly flashing before your eyes.  :D

Yeah, you can say that again. I still have my claw marks embedded on the dash board from bracing it so hard when my wife drove. Luckily however, she wasn't one of those women who took the driver's test and actually ram right into the DMV office, LOL. There's apparently 5 cases of this already. One DMV office in California had to close the entire office down for some time because of the damage.

Offline Gator

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 03:46:45 PM »
Perhaps the most hilarious account of teaching a wife how to drive was told by Doug Salem (RIP).  Those who remember Doug will recall his gift for writing.

IIRC he took his wife Olga to a parking lot at a mall undergoing renovation with just a few stores open.   It concluded with Olga somehow getting the BMW lodged on top of a planter-median with the rear wheels  off the pavement. 

Offline Doll

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

These cars have TWO SETS OF BREAKS (pedals) and nothing more.
I think it makes sense.
They let the person drive on a special training lot first- never on real roads.
 It is the law in Russia.
Of course- they give the keys and let the, drive right away. Do you know how to do it otherwise?

Offline Doll

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »
These cars have TWO SETS OF BREAKS (pedals) and nothing more.
I think it makes sense.
They let the person drive on a special training lot first- never on real roads.
 It is the law in Russia.
Of course- they give the keys and let them drive right away. Do you know how to do it otherwise?

Offline Doll

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »
.  I'm running into that issue.  Even though I'm only 25 minutes from the state capital, there are no buses here.  And she thinks that she can just get a driver's license and take a car and go wherever she wants, but it isn't that easy for someone pushing 30 who's never driven to learn to drive.
I was 43 when I first started driving. Here I had to drive from day one- it took a couple of months to get used to it but most of RW drive with no problems here.

Offline Maxx2

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
Remember Bean's rant?

5 She has a drivers license and a new car. (Buick Rendevous) 7 They have destroyed and totalled 2 cars. (Note from Maxx: at last count 3)

Offline jmana

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 06:22:16 AM »
But of course it's not that difficult to learn either. It costs some money though and then you have to buy another car for her. Is that your problem perhaps?
No, I have 3 vehicles, it's just really difficult for someone that's never driven a day in her life to learn to drive, especially here where people drive like maniacs.  It would be different if we were more rural, but there are so many cars on very few roads here and even for me it's stressful to drive most times.  Never know when someone will slam on the brakes, plus nobody uses turn signals anymore.  And you can't have more than one car length between you and the car in front of you, because if you do someone will squeeze in there anyway.  I think everyone else around here needs to learn to drive before she does ::)

Offline Wayne

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
And so, Jmana, it seems like you and Alaina did finally get married? How is that working out for you?

Like others have said, it would probably be best to pay for her driver's training. It would cost a few hundred dollars, but it would be worth it.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
Quote from: [s
D[/s]Caveman].... I wasn't pursuing big city ladies in the first place.  I like down-to-earth-blue-jean girls who enjoy dressing up or down with the situation at hand.  ;D  They're not that difficult to find in the FSU...
;D
 I live out in subdivision/suburbia, prefer a rural lifestyle , yet enjoy easy access to a large city.(Chicago)  So, similarly  I looked for someone that currently lived in, or prefered same -suburbs or rural.Personality is part of that?  My wife lived in suburbs, in a nice home pretty similar to what you'd find in any average  western suburb.
 After living here awhile now, she really likes our area, but if relocating she'd prefer to live even more rurally.If we move, it would be out of  subdivision, and to a similar home in a more rural setting per both our preferences. After expereince in an area with good neighbors and relaxing atmosphere,  she would not want to move to any large city, or any of the places of the stereotype presented , she did not have those preferences beforehand as she liked her own subdivision, something similar with more conveniences would of course be fine..
  As far as driving, she had driven a bit in her country, so here was a piece of cake although a bit nervous initially.Great with directions or just winging it..
  After reading the tales here, I've become convinced she most have simply been Suzy the Harvest Queen of Wichita ,that moved to FSU at some point before I met her.She has always felt really at home and comfortable here other than the random language /accent problem once in awhile, and dint notice any negative culture shock,only conveniences.
This may have been smoothed  a bit because the region we live has a lot of Eastern European influence and population , it's common to hear accented english or EE languages.
YMMV.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3932
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2814
Total: 2824

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Today at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Today at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Today at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Yesterday at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:06:00 AM