It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trip Reports and what they say  (Read 3926 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Trip Reports and what they say
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:13:05 AM »
I want to start a discussion about trip reports.

I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT ANTIDATE!!!!

I filed a trip report trippen in St Pete. I have been to the FSU four times before and didn't
file a trip report until I went to St Pete.

I would like to have a discusion about what members like to know and like to read about in a trip report
and likewise what they would prefer not to read about.

Feel free to pick apart anything in my trip report except the antidate part. I think that a friendly discussion about this could help promote others to write about their trip. I made 4 trips before I made my first post.

I also know that I read several trip reports here and on another forum before I made my first trip. I honestly believe that men who read various trip reports are more likely to both travel to the FSU and to make less mistakes while they are there

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline I/O

Re: Trip Reports and what they say
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 12:57:20 AM »
Bill, I never read all of your trip report because to be frank, it got a little too detailed for my taste, but hey that's me. I have long thought that many trip reports contain far too much intimate detail, but again that's me.

Places, events, interesting experiences in airports, immigration and other logistical things I always find fun to read as very often I can relate. I am just not interested in who kissed who when, where or how many times.  It would be enough for me to hear that the relationship with "XYZ" is now developing well and we went and did such and such or visited such and such a theatre or whatever.

I vigoursly object to the inclusion of photos of other people whom the writer may never meet again, with perhaps the exception of a larger group photo which simply verifies the writer has been with this group of people, but even that should be handled sensitively IMO.

I don't even think it is necessary to pre-empt matters with, I will be meeting Miss X in this location and then Miss Y in another etc.  I think the time for naming people, by name or code is after something substantial has developed, not during and not before.

So, a time line, perhaps even day by day comments on logistical matters and observations, interesting "Non Romantic" experiences and most certainly, leave the ladies out of it in the event that it is a trip for a first meeting.  Perhaps, if the plan is to go back for a second meeting or the writer has developed something more than basics with "A" particular lady, a short summary of the stage things are up to at the end of the report would be appropriate.

I also think that trip reports, generally speaking would serve a better purpose if they were a helluva lot shorter in general, but again, thats just my view of it. I would also comment that I've been in Russia as many times as a good number of the guys here, I am fairly relaxed when I am there, which results in my having perhaps more spare time than most and I simply would never have time to sit and write lengthly reports day by day. 

These long "On the go" reports very often suggest to me that the writer has planned badly and has really nothing more interesting to do whilst he is there than sit in front of the computer and try to imply he is having a lot better time than he actually is. :noidea: :noidea:

Perhaps an addage could apply to trip reports as it perhaps should apply to this post, "If I'd had more time I'd have written a shorter letter". ::) ::)   

I/O

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:05:21 AM »
I/O as usual you make a great post. I agree about photos although it took me a bite on the butt to learn this.

In a totally different post I said you were a good guy. I still think that is true.

Take care,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline I/O

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 01:21:31 AM »
In a totally different post I said you were a good guy. I still think that is true.
:ROFL: And.......in a totally different post, I said, Nahhhhhhhh don't fall for that one.  :cheesygrin:

I/O

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:14:28 AM »
If the words terp, agency and cafe come up in a TR I usually don't bother reading further.

Offline mirror

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:02:48 AM »
I want to start a discussion about trip reports.

I would like to have a discusion about what members like to know and like to read about in a trip report and likewise what they would prefer not to read about.

When somebody wants to tell about his trip it means he wants to express himself and his own impression in free style. He can feel himself freely. And he can write whatever he wants to say. But he can not touch a personal freedom of others. 

Another case when somebody ask some questions. You know what he wants to read and what he wants to know from you.

Offline jb

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:14:28 AM »
BC wrote:
If the words terp, agency and cafe come up in a TR I usually don't bother reading further.

How true.  I would add some other words to the turn off list, but that's a good start.

Offline Simoni

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 05:15:26 AM »
Trip reports should be well written, and engage the reader in the experiences of the reporter.  Hence, they should be detailed.  And most of all--honest.

They should detail the failures of the reporter, as well as what success he might obtain.  Success can be simply managing the mass transit system, talking to a cabbie in Russian, or finding your way back to your flat when you are lost.  Failure can be, and usually is, the dissapointment of discovering the girl the reporter has been writing to for six months is a girl in the flesh he feels nothing for, and cannot imagine a life with.

Trip reports should definitely include pictures--pictures of city scenes and of life in the FSU, as well as some of the girls the reporter meets (that is, if he has her permission to post her picture).

Writing a trip report is a labor of love--and prepares the newbie for experiences they may soon have in the future.  Thus, I think the readership owes a "thank-you" for those who in these times choose to share their experiences.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 06:12:57 AM »
Read Groov's trip reports and you will have an excellent example of what one should look like. Although I do enjoy reading about the experiences of others I have always felt that his were the best. I'll give Kuna a thumb's up as well as his was most enjoyable too.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 09:54:55 AM »
And why doesn't that surprise me! ::)
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

Offline Simoni

Re: Trip Reports and FSU cafes
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 11:10:13 AM »
Personally, RV, some of my best times in the FSU were spent at cafes, and having a drink as the parade of beauty walked by  ;D

Offline IAmZon

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
Trip reports give are like small stories - some are great, others so so.

In additional to the logistical information which often is explicitly stated, other times only inferred; depending on the writer, sometimes I feel as though I am there too.  The fear, confusion, anxiety is what I am most interested in experiencing vicariously - and how situations are overcome.

The girl boy thing - what DKMM is going through right now - is different than other, more natural, dating situations.  It is VERY helpful to get a sense of that otherwise?!?!?  One would certainly mislabel, not understand, and generally trip over ones dick.

I have enjoyed KUNAs report, because there was such a fantastic preface, climax, and - apparent - happy conclusion.  I have enjoyed DKMM's TRs very much too. I have greatly appreciated everyone's efforts.

I have wondered if I should have posted TRs that detailed my experiences with FSU women, but since they have only occurred in the US, in familiar environments, there value seems not to apply here.

Offline DKMM

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 08:25:58 PM »
Thanks rivardco.

I tend to get into the details of things, probably more than I should have except for the fact that I take great pains to keep the girls anonymous.  Only if the girls themselves knew of this forum would the cat get out of the bag.

This is a good of a place as any to dispense some advice.  Guys, don't tell your RW about RWD!  At least not if you are like me and in the search phase still and write about meeting different women.  I say "internet friend" or just "friend" when I describe something I've heard from here (which happens a lot acutally).

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »
Guys, don't tell your RW about RWD!  At least not if you are like me and in the search phase still and write about meeting different women.  I say "internet friend" or just "friend" when I describe something I've heard from here (which happens a lot acutally).

Very good advice IMHO! ;)
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541335
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2419
Most Online Ever: 12701