It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My trip to Odessa  (Read 3845 times)

Offline cameraguymn

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My trip to Odessa
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:12:42 PM »
I decided to take this trip to Ukraine now rather than later amid news of high coronavirus rates running rampant in many parts of Ukraine. The situation could get worse and it could be months before I see "A". She could meet someone else who was more courageous - more foolhardy - (unlikely but you never know).  Job issues checked. Vaccinated check. Had to jump the gun.

We have been talking, videochatting for 3 months twice a day everyday. She was kind, intelligent and beautiful. Much younger but but an old soul if you will. Like many Ukrainian women she was single mother and I respect the fact that she has dedicated her life to providing a good situation for her child. Her daughter even sent me video messages.

I stressed out a little bit about the negative covid test and the 3 day/72 hour guidelines for entry into Ukraine. The PCR testing where I live say they come back 1-3 days. I took two test on consecutive days just in case. In case first test was deemed outside the 72 hour window I took test #2 a day later hoping that it would be within the 72 hour and get my results via email 24 hours later after I depart ready for border officials in Odessa.

It has been 20 years since I've been to Ukraine and it was changed dramatically. It HAS been 20 years but the change is really dramatic. I expected a layered society with some very rich, most people to be average modern folks and even some who look like they would be 20-30 years behind but on the whole in Odessa nearly everyone looked the part of a Western community. Most cars were newer and only noticed 1-2 ancient Lada's. Most people were stylish with smartphones. Restaurants were full of people paying decent prices for food - I would say about 40% of what we would by paying for our meals in America.

Most of the meals were about $25-$35 for three people drinks included. And the meals were amazing.

The malls were bright and modern and the shops look as stylish as any retail shops where I am from.

In this duality though, some smaller shops could not give me change for a 500 UAH note ($20). I changed 200 USD at the start of my trip and used Ukrainian currency mainly for taxi. Make sure you have a good number of 100 and 20 UAH notes. One of taxi trip was 100 UAH but I only had a 500 bill so the guy could only give me 300 back.  My main expenses were food and I used my debit and credit card mostly.   

Being in Arcadia area has some great benefits. Close proximity to the beach boardwalk, walking distance to restaurants and shopping.

I suppose I was in the high end part of town so I was able to see more affluence but the other two locations in town that were a  bit outside of the seaside tourist area still exhibited a growing middle class. Whereas 20 years ago I would see a small portion of the people dress like Western Europeans and 80% of the population dressed very poorly or were 30 years behind in fashion.

I noticed about 90% of people not wearing masks. We found ourselves and the wait staff the only people wearing masks. Outside, in the malls, in the grocery stores - people are very nonchalant about masks.

Oh the girl. We were a bit nervous and awkward the first day trying to connect with real live interaction with the online feelings. I think we connected and felt that the feelings were real and authentic. She's even lovelier in person than a photo and videochat can truthfully capture. I'm a little overjoyed that her dating profile photo was a little conservative and didn't represent her true beauty. Her personality was exactly what I experienced online. She was kind and courageous. Conversation was easy. Her English is good but communication is so much better and clearer in person.

Success! It was worth all the anxiety and the 25 hour flight in crowded quarters. My transatlantic flight was full full full. And I swear they decreased the leg rooms between seat rows.

I feel by revealing more I'm divulging something very special between us. I want to keep that very special story just ours. Let's just say this trip was a success.

I want to be genuinely thankful to some of the posters in here who have provided such great insight and knowledge through this journey - 2tallbill especially. A and I actually talked about 2tallbill and Patagonia earlier this evening.

I originally planned on seeing two other women in Kiev but I just felt a little shady doing that. I felt I would not be truly respecting any of the three women properly since I was pretty sure about A already. And the fact that it would feel a little strange to tell each lady I am doing all of these hurdles just to see you for 2 days.

I also wanted to share what I saw and experienced so that others might get a little perspective on going to Ukraine and what they can expect. My expenses: $1600 flights, $600 2 bedroom posh modern apartment for 5 nights, $100 per day food, taxi, incidentals. About $3,000 for this trip. (could not post pictures for some reason)

Offline John Gaunt

• Trips: > 10
Re: My trip to Odessa
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 03:20:19 AM »
I’m glad things seem to be working out.
Now you need to figure out how to keep that momentum going.

Your accommodation costs seem a little excessive. How did you book it?

Offline cameraguymn

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 05:06:05 AM »
Airbnb all booked up since I didn't move on booking sooner. Two weeks out and everything interesting and large enough was all booked up.

I found our apartment on VRBO. Walking distance to the beach and Arcadia Plaza. I actually received a 20% discount since it was my first booking with VBRO.

Most apartments on both platforms were about $80-$140 for two bedrooms, large bath or jacuzzi and close to the tourists areas/city centers. There were some homes or villas that were actually $80-$100.

I’m glad things seem to be working out.
Now you need to figure out how to keep that momentum going.

Your accommodation costs seem a little excessive. How did you book it?

Offline ML

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 07:49:30 AM »
Nice write-up; thanks for sharing.

But could you clarify one thing?
You mentioned concern that you would receive your Covid test results in time to show at entry to Ukraine.
However as my wife has learned from others who went back to Ukraine for visit . . .
The airline wouldn't let them on the flight to Ukraine unless they had the Covid test result.

For one gal, she had to rebook for next day and pay around $250 for rebooking while waiting for test result to be emailed to her by AM husband.

So situation dictates the Covid test result back nearly a day before entry into Ukraine.

So how did it play out for you . . . did the airline look at your Covid test result before allowing you to board . . . or not ?

And what was the name of your airline(s) ?

Thanks
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:01:45 AM »
Good news, congrats, that was worth the risk. 
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline cameraguymn

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 03:25:25 PM »
I was a little worried about day of test verses actual date of test results too. So I wanted to have a number of results from different days.

I flew Turkish Airlines and stateside they checked my covid results before getting on the plane as well as in Istanbul for flight to Odessa and again at border patrol in Odessa. Have passport, boarding pass and covid results.

Nice write-up; thanks for sharing.

But could you clarify one thing?
You mentioned concern that you would receive your Covid test results in time to show at entry to Ukraine.
However as my wife has learned from others who went back to Ukraine for visit . . .
The airline wouldn't let them on the flight to Ukraine unless they had the Covid test result.

For one gal, she had to rebook for next day and pay around $250 for rebooking while waiting for test result to be emailed to her by AM husband.

So situation dictates the Covid test result back nearly a day before entry into Ukraine.

So how did it play out for you . . . did the airline look at your Covid test result before allowing you to board . . . or not ?

And what was the name of your airline(s) ?

Thanks

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 04:20:30 PM »
I was a little worried about day of test verses actual date of test results too. So I wanted to have a number of results from different days.

I flew Turkish Airlines and stateside they checked my covid results before getting on the plane as well as in Istanbul for flight to Odessa and again at border patrol in Odessa. Have passport, boarding pass and covid results.

Just to be clear, the date/time of your test is when the 72 hour clock starts. What I unsure about is how lenient the immigration is due to difference in time zones. One guy wrote that he was some hours over 72 hour limit yet was allowed in. Personally I wouldn't chance it...... long way to go to be turned down along the way.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »
Airbnb all booked up since I didn't move on booking sooner. Two weeks out and everything interesting and large enough was all booked up.

I found our apartment on VRBO. Walking distance to the beach and Arcadia Plaza. I actually received a 20% discount since it was my first booking with VBRO.

Most apartments on both platforms were about $80-$140 for two bedrooms, large bath or jacuzzi and close to the tourists areas/city centers. There were some homes or villas that were actually $80-$100.

I like to use dobovo.com
You just need to get a feel for the owners to see what type of people they are. Some could cancel reservation to get a higher bidder. I know a few in OdesSa and KharKIV that I trust very much!!
I don't like to stay in Arkadia area, closer to center is better. You can always use uber or tram to get back and forth. I enjoy ambiance in center much more.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline cameraguymn

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
I was mildly confused when I booked an air bnb apartment with my selected dates while it showed the dates for that apartment was open then the owner rejects our booking after 24 hours.

I'll try dobova as a third resort next time.

I also discovered blablacar as a ridesharing app.

On the way out of Odessa, had to show my Negative Covid test at the airport, in Istanbul have to show it 4 times, 3 times in a zig zag line at the gate within 30 feet of each other - I guess triple redundancy.  In Istanbul you have to go through customs and laptop check again even though you are just connecting flights within the airport and you did not leave the secure airport area.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701