It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: First Evening in Lviv & Chernivtsi  (Read 9819 times)

Offline JensenHealey907

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
First Evening in Lviv & Chernivtsi
« on: December 01, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
ARGH! After many hours of car, train and air travel I have arrived in Chernovtsi. My lady friend is as expected very good looking and seems very nice. I flew into Lviv where my lady friend had arranged a car with a driver who was supposed to know english well enough to translate for us. This part only worked so-so as the driver was hit or miss on translating stuff. He could do barely OK with translating her russian into english but he had real problems understanding me when I tried to ask a question. An example is when I arrived in Lviv and we all walked outside I discovered there was about 4 - 5 inches of snow on the ground. So I asked him three times how to say "snow" in russian and each time he could not grasp this simple question. Each time based on his response he seemed to think I was asking him if there was snow. I am now thinking perhaps I am just speaking too fast for him or some other problem. I tried asking my lady friend to let us use Vasyl who others from the starting-out had recommended but for some reason she has not taken to this idea. She had called Vasyl earlier in the week

Anyway the 4+ hour drive from Lviv to Chernovtsy was interesting. There was icy roads in spots and at one point on a hill where a whole bunch of big semi trucks were stopped due to their inability to make it up the hill my lady friend and I had to get out and push the car!!!! It was funny since she had on her stylish russian lady outfit complete with fur coat and high heel boots. Since the road was very icy she at times almost slipped and when she would she made this little cute squeak sound sort of like a big mouse. Anyway the driver finally got the car up the hill but left us down the hill and we had to walk up to where he was waiting. So since it was slippery I held her hand and put my other arm around her to help her up the hill. All in all it was quite an adventure. :)

Now I am here in the apartment by myself and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn up the heat so I am sitting here in my coat. My lady is supposed to show up again tomorrow morning after she makes a brief appearance at work.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »
Now I am here in the apartment by myself and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn up the heat so I am sitting here in my coat. My lady is supposed to show up again tomorrow morning after she makes a brief appearance at work.

You don't like sleeping in a refrigerator? What kind of heat does the place have? If it has radiator heaters that allow hot water to move through them, make sure the valves are on.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
You have internet but no heat?

Illustrates how screwed up the world has become.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »
Yeah, the place has hot water radiators. I think there is something in the kitchen that might be a gas fired furnace to heat the water but I have not found any sort of temp adjustment means as of yet. The hot water for sinks is is a separate system that is an "automatic" gas fired system rather than a hot water heater tank.

Offline ML

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
Yeah, the place has hot water radiators. I think there is something in the kitchen that might be a gas fired furnace to heat the water but I have not found any sort of temp adjustment means as of yet. The hot water for sinks is is a separate system that is an "automatic" gas fired system rather than a hot water heater tank.

There are no real temperature regulators on the water radiator systems they have there in Ukraine.

You need to look at the entire length of the pipes and find the shut off valve . . . and then turn it on to let the hot water start flowing into the radiators.  A big problem will be if there has been an air bubble build up in your pipes.  In that case you have to find a drain valve and run off some of the water to get rid of the air bubbles.

Anyway, as I said you can't control the temperature of the radiators . . . which means opening windows if it gets too hot.

Another alternative (which is actually better) is to get naked in bed with a naked gal and let the body heat keep the two of you warm.  It's amazing the heat that is produced by two bodies in contact.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:49:24 PM »

Hot water to heat apartments come  from a boiler in the building that delivers the water to all apartments

Usually there is a door panel in a wall in the bathroom or kitchen that holds pipes and valves. If you feel a tiny bit of heat on the radiator heater, then the valves are probably on but the pipes and radiator may have so much corrosion on the inside that hot water can't move through them very well to deliver enough heat. I've been given electric plug in heaters when the radiators aren't performing.

There is another option that turns the water on or off to your apartment the manager has access to in case one doesn't pay the utility bill. Check with the person you rented the apartment from about turning up the heat. Put pressure on them demanding your rent money back if they can't get the heat turned on.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline JayH

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:43 PM »
BB is on the case.
Often the temperature is being kept low to save on costs.Maybe less than 18C inside.
Others can comment on suitable temperature-- I come from warm climate and all this really cold stuff eludes me !

I do know Ukrainians are wearing a lot of clothes at home to keep warm .

Trying to get temperature changed with apartment owners can be met with disbelief to not interested!

Now ML--in a hotel -- heat is often adjustable and you have a way to direct action !!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:10:23 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »
Went to lunch at Kwinto in center of Chernivtsi, had good food and spent the time "chatting" with my lady friend using the translator app on my tablet since the restaurant had WIFI access. The food at Kwinto was very good and service was fast but no english was spoken and the menu was not available in english either. Afterwards we walked to the Chernivtsi National University where my friend had arranged for a guided tour of the University with an english speaking guide.

The weather changes a lot from one hour to the next. When we walked to the restaurant it was raining. When we walked from the restaurant to the University it was no longer raining but still a slight brisk wind. When we got done with the tour at the University we walked back to the Apartment in snow flurries.

Anyway, things seem to be going well between my friend and I. I have my fingers crossed as we continue to press on with this even with the lack of communication.

Does anyone know a female interpreter in Chernivtsi? My lady friend seems to be reluctant to use the service of Vasyl Kuzyk (ace-interpreter.com) for some reason which I am not understanding.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
Does anyone know a female interpreter in Chernivtsi? My lady friend seems to be reluctant to use the service of Vasyl Kuzyk (ace-interpreter.com) for some reason which I am not understanding.

Is there a university in Chernivtsi?  If so hang out there n talk with the "starving students."  Some will speak English and maybe are interested in earning some money as an interpreter or direct you to someone else. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »
Regarding the heat, is it possible that Ukraine has implemented an energy conservation program considering the weak economy. 

In the old days in Russia and Ukraine, room temperature was regulated not by adjusting the radiator valves heat but by opening and closing windows.   ;D

Offline Gator

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »

All you have said about your woman is she is good looking and nice.   What are your more specific impressions? 

I easily could be wrong, yet detect some reticence,  more than the lack of English would suggest.   

I suggest you be patient with your woman.  It is impossible to resolve even a modest disagreement without an interpreter.  Heck, it is difficult to resolve disagreements even when they speak English. :D 

Keep trying different approaches  but don't be forceful.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »
Quiz her further on Vasyl. He has thus far afaik enjoyed a good reputation as a good terp. You may just be having some misunderstanding about him?

The translators are good and helpful but not the end all for language barriers.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »
Quiz her further on Vasyl.

Perhaps she knows him or worse, is related to him.  Chernivtsi is not a big city.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »

Is there a university in Chernivtsi?  If so hang out there n talk with the "starving students."  Some will speak English and maybe are interested in earning some money as an interpreter or direct you to someone else.

There is a university there. It was founded during the time the Austro-Hungarian Empire ruled the area.

Offline pokerintherear

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 11:23:06 AM »
My lady friend seems to be reluctant to use the service of Vasyl Kuzyk (ace-interpreter.com) for some reason which I am not understanding.

This is good. The interpreter you mentioned seems to have a good reputation on 2 forums but in the real world not so much. May I ask what dating site you used to meet the lady? He has a strong presence on the Ukrainedate site. In a way he seems to manage the women's profile on that particular site and more. It is a possibility she has already been contacted by him to help arrange meetings. She probably sees the motive.

Her not wanting to use him is either a sign she is serious and genuine about a relationship or doesn't want to split the money she can scam. Choose wisely.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »
The interpreter you mentioned seems to have a good reputation on 2 forums but in the real world not so much.

I know four people who used him for genealogy tours and research.  All had very positive things to say about him.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline pokerintherear

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »

I know four people who used him for genealogy tours and research.  All had very positive things to say about him.

Then everything is fine. There should not be any problems if your friends say so.

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 02:49:16 PM »
My lady friend is originally from Nikolaev, and moved to Chernivtsi for a job. This lady is serious about relationship, not out for scam. I first started corresponding with her a long time ago (more than three years) from elenasmodels site. She is affectionate and has a nice sense of humor.

We went bowling tonight and then after that we shot some billiards on a russian style pool table. The russian style pool table is much larger than even a 9 foot american pool table. The pockets have a much narrower entrance and the balls are larger in diameter. This makes it a more challenging game I think. But the game is more flexible about what ball gets hit with what ball. i.E. the cue ball is not always the same ball.

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »
There is a university there. It was founded during the time the Austro-Hungarian Empire ruled the area.

Ochka said the university buildings were very interesting and impressive.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »
Sure OP but is there the chemistry there?

I think what Gator was getting at is possibly she might not want to get too involved if the chemistry isn't there just have a nice time. So nothing heavy. An interpreter would bring up a lot more info than she might care to share. So basically avoid leading you on too much. She would probably feel bad sending you off after coming all that way.

Then again if there is affection who knows. Enjoy you're time & see where it goes.

My thoughts on interpreter is perhaps she knows him but doesn't want her dating activities to become known in the area as its personal. Doing genealogy interpretation & relationship interpretation aren't exactly the same thing. So who knows if his spliting the difference on relationships.

So are you paying her taxi driver interpreter friend much?
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 06:35:54 AM »
Interpreting what a person is saying is interpreting.  The purpose doesn't matter.

Offline Noch1

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 07:04:25 AM »
Chernovtsi is around 250,000 people, not that small that everyone knows everyone.
English is a little more sparse, but you can ask her to find a translator.
Or if done right, translating can be fun, if you both have patience.
and translate a few things that make you laugh.
Some wine, food and warm apartment, can make for a fun evening.
Few very good restaurants in the city core.
Also has the 2nd largest Bizarre in Ukraine. ( it is huge)
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline jone

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »
I take it that you paid for the bowling.  Would you mind sharing how much it was?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline ML

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
Also has the 2nd largest Bizarre in Ukraine.

WOW . . . that's just bizarre !!

Or maybe their bazaar really is bizarre.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
I take it that you paid for the bowling.  Would you mind sharing how much it was?
I went bowling in Poltava a year ago, it was only 200grn/hour.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541335
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843