It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Paramedics  (Read 1854 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
The Paramedics
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:49:53 AM »
In 2002 I had a first hand experience with a Russian ambulance, paramedics, and hospital. Our youngest had injured her ankle in a soccer game and I rode in the ambulance to the hospital. It was not serious and I could write volumes about how the hospital then was right out of the 1950s.

Two days ago I had another experience with Russian paramedics. I was helping Mrs. M with an extension cord we had brought home from the store. It had a tight plastic binding around the cord and I grabbed a kitchen knife to cut the binding. It was difficult and so I gave it an extra thrust, however my hand slipped and the knife sliced into my left hand in the soft spot between my thumb and forefinger. It went in about 3/4 of an inch and immediately blood began to spurt everywhere. It was on the floor, on the kitchen counter, on the wall, etc. A lot in a short time.

The worst part of it was that we had just returned from an outing in Moscow centre and it was 2 o'clock in the morning. Mrs. M was in the bathroom getting ready for bed and I yelled for her. She nearly fainted at the sight of so much blood. By then I had grabbed a kitchen towel and formed a tourniquet. That didn't help much and so I grabbed another towel while she gathered her composure and called 103, the number for ambulance service.

I was apparently alive enough to joke and asked if she had called 102 (police), but she didn't think it very funny at the time. The paramedics arrived quickly as there is a hospital and fire station nearby. By that time the bleeding had slowed, and we had cleaned up most of the blood from the floor and kitchen counter.

The medics arrived, a male and female, and they set me at the kitchen table while the female did a bunch of paperwork and the male cleaned my wound, then put a type of bandage that promotes self-stitching of some sort, or at least that is the theory. I had planned on taking a shower before sleeping but with fresh bandages, that plan went out the window.

It didn't really hurt, which was amazing. Perhaps the shock and surprise masked any pain, and the paramedics were very professional (much improved over 2002). After the medics left, Mrs. M went into a protective mode and showered me with even more attention. That was enjoyable.

I will likely have a scar but that doesn't concern me. What did worry me, and it concerned the paramedics too, was whether something had been damaged that would impact the use of my fingers. They tested my movements and reflexes, and then retested. So far, so good. Thanks be to God.

While I carry a health plan as required, Mrs. M listed me as her husband and since she has the national medical insurance all Russian citizens receive, there was no immediate bill to pay. I was surprised that they didn't want or need to see my documents and insurance plan.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: The Paramedics
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »
Mendy,
glad to hear all went well.

Indeed, 'no bill' policy is a big plus.

Wish such was universal - actually only one place I might like to live doesn't offer it...  But pretty much the same here in IT, no bills and decent service especially for true emergencies, but yeah without all the extra 'bells and whistles' mostly...  You really should have had a MRI done to make sure all is intact, along with a tetanus shot that would set you back a couple thousand....  ;)

funny just googled http://www.walgreens.com/topic/healthcare-clinic/price-menu.jsp

have saved several thousand here as vaccinations are free..

p.s. intent is not to turn this thread political ;)  but hey... lets have some fun while Mendy is healing!  hahahah

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541457
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1750
Most Online Ever: 12701