It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: First Evening in Lviv & Chernivtsi  (Read 9782 times)

Offline JensenHealey907

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
First Evening in Lviv & Chernivtsi
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
I take it that you paid for the bowling.  Would you mind sharing how much it was?

Sorry, I don't recall exactly. I know it was for bowling for three of us and one hour of billiards for all three. I will have to ask the driver guy tomorrow since I don't remember exactly.

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
This evening we went to an organ recital at one of the churches near the center of Chernivtsi. This was a paid event where you stop at a little box office to purchase tickets before going in. If you like any sort of classical chamber music, this is a good thing to do. Afterwards we went to a restaurant in the city center called Kwinto. I cannot say enough about how helpful the waitress was since for both visits we made here she was instrumental in helping me deal with getting the free wifi working as well as being very attentive while serving the food. This place is slightly below street level and the food is very good and not very expensive from my standpoint based on the current dollar exchange rate for Ukrainian currency. This evening there was a three piece string ensemble playing that added to the dining experience.

Offline JayH

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »
JH  --did you resolve apartment temperature issues?
I have a little more that may or may not be correct-- higher floors (levels) may be cooler than lower.
Keeping temp down is a usage and cost saving issue.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 12:41:30 AM »
Yeah, everything seems fine now. It may have just taken a while for the radiators here to warm the whole place up. The ceilings are pretty high too.

Offline Noch1

• Trips: 4 - 10
Re: First Evening in Lviv & Chernivtsi
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
WOW . . . that's just bizarre !!

Or maybe their bazaar really is bizarre.
That you so much for correcting my english.
What would I or the forum do without your
quick and superb skills in english.  :clapping:
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline JensenHealey907

Big bear at roadside reststop
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »
The other day when my lady friend and I went to see an old fortress in some other district, during the drive the guy with the car stopped at a roadside reststop and showed us this BIG bear in a cage. He says he stops there all the time and feeds the bear hard candy or apples. This is the first time I ever got to see such a huge bear this close up. I have been trying to get the driver guy to tell me the nme of the town the old fortress was in but his english is not great and all I am getting is something about "long stone".  Anyone have any idea what I am talking about? He said the town had been occupied by Poland, Turkiey and Russia during it's long history.  I have attached a photo of the outside of a church that is a polish catholic chuch now but the tall tower outside is supposed to be a minaret from when the town was occupied by Muslims from Turkey in it's past.

Offline JensenHealey907

Kamianets-Podilskyi Castle in city of Kamianets-Podilskyi, Ukraine
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »
Ah Ha, I figured out where the old fortress was that we visited the other day. It was the Kamianets-Podilskyi Castle in city of Kamianets-Podilskyi, Ukraine. Unfortunately the driver guy is the only one who took pictures here so I hope he is able to get me the photos at some point.  The castle was pretty good sized and was situated on this island that was surrounded by a series of gorges carved out around the place by a river. We walked around for quite a while and I did the usual tourist thing of buying souvenier junk at some stalls setup inside the castle. So I basically fullfiled my obligations as a silly american tourist. :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:24:17 PM by JensenHealey907 »

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
To clarify, the churches were converted to mosques.  They weren't built as mosques.

Much of Eastern Europe has a long history with Muslim invaders.  That history is why they aren't too thrilled with taking in Muslim refugees these days.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
To clarify, the churches were converted to mosques.  They weren't built as mosques.

Much of Eastern Europe has a long history with Muslim invaders.  That history is why they aren't too thrilled with taking in Muslim refugees these days.

Ah! I see/ Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »

Europe is taking in more immigrants from Africa than Muslim refugees from Middle East.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
I was referring to the reticence to take in Syrian refugees.  Plus, a lot of Africans also are Muslim.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 06:22:01 PM »
We should rename the forum, 'In Search of Circassian Slave Girls'.   That was the true Muslim influence - the intentional raiding of the Northwestern Caucasus.  It is amazing that through the years, we can look back and see that even then the Ottoman Empire saw the great beauty and spirit of the women we seek.

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Noch1

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »
I have been to that Fort.
It was original built by a Lithuanian King.
If you looked from the fort out into the fields.
It had one very large stone, surround by 6 smaller ones.
It was called the Peace stone. After battle the leaders of each army
would meet there to discuss the battle.
The thing about the fort, that impressed me most.
It was totally self sufficient.
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:08 PM »
I was referring to the reticence to take in Syrian refugees.  Plus, a lot of Africans also are Muslim.

How many are actually from Syria, though?

Of course, the underlying reason for this tidal wave of immigration is Coudenhove-Kalergi, not succoring the innocent.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Boethius

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 09:53:08 PM »
I believe the EU asked Eastern Europe to take Syrian refugees. 

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »
I believe the EU asked Eastern Europe to take Syrian refugees.

Given that at least one of the passport-issuing Syrian government buildings was taken over and hundreds to thousands of blank passports stolen; and that Syrian passports are openly sold on the black market; any claim of being a Syrian national is automatically suspect, however.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Boethius

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 09:57:54 PM »
True. However that's not the basis of East European rejection.

Offline LAman

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
That must have been long drive from Chernivtsi to KP, 4-5 hours? That castle is cool, did you spend some time in city center walking around and through the wooden bridges? What about Khotyn? It is on the way to KP. Would have been great to spend an overnight there.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1860
Total: 1871

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM