It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Engagement ring? Popping the question?  (Read 13662 times)

Offline Aloe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Engagement ring? Popping the question?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »
Thanks JayH  :D

cal, now that you mention it, i don't ever wear any of my rings. I do like nice necklaces though :)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
I just thought it was mandatory like it is in the US. 

You are correct, it is not mandatory customary.  Yet, my experience says that RW want the best from both worlds.  They want the gallantry and flowers as customary with RM, and they want St. Valentine's Day and engagement ring as customary with AM.

I have friends who are not rich who spent months worth of their salary to get one for their girls.

Yes, they spent too much!  One does not need to go to such exorbitance.

After living with her for some time, seeing how she loves me and already agreed to marry me, I see no point in giving the expensive ring.

This comes across as cheap.  At one time you wanted to give her a ring.  Now that you see she is totally into you and wants to marry you, you will never tell her that you had an expensive ring.

I will return it and invest the money in my business and our future.

Will it matter in 5 years, 10 years, ....until death do you part?

Santo, what you seem to be missing is the symbolism of rings and diamonds - the concept of eternity...forever.   The fact that you believe this woman loves you truly is even more reason to buy GIVE her a ring.

You can probably afford a 3/4 ct diamond of good color and clarity, something she would cherish forever.  Remember that RW appreciate generosity and abhor "greedy."  And generosity does not mean it is necessary to spend more than you can afford. 

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
I just thought it was mandatory like it is in the US.  It's pretty sad that you need to buy an expensive ring if you plan to get married to a US girl. I have friends who are not rich who spent months worth of their salary to get one for their girls. It's a BS western consumer custom.

It's also worthwhile to mention that my mother, who is not from the US, still wears and cherishes her original engagement ring after 45 years of marriage.

I did buy an expensive ring and I brought it with me with the intent of popping the question and giving it to my girl.  After living with her for some time, seeing how she loves me and already agreed to marry me, I see no point in giving the expensive ring. I will return it and invest the money in my business and our future.

Yup. Been married for a while now and my wife have a wedding band with teeney weeny diamonds in it. You literally have to look at the ring up close to see them, "Yeppers, there's tiny diamonds in them alright!" She's the one who chose the ring. She doesn't see the symbol of a huge diamond as *proof* of my affection for her since according to her my actions is far more treasured.

For some, this is wholly subjective. For others, it is a way to 'show their love and devotion'. De Beers like the latter attitude. Just like Hallmark's Valentine's Day.

For both my wife and I, love and living is what we do everyday with one another. It's Amerika, you can be anything you want to be.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BorisS

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
Nonsense.

Seconded...

I gave my wife an engagement ring because it was important to me. Her, not so much at the time...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:40:39 AM by bjstults »

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

You can probably afford a 3/4 ct diamond of good color and clarity, something she would cherish forever.  Remember that RW appreciate generosity and abhor "greedy."  And generosity does not mean it is necessary to spend more than you can afford.

I could be all wrong on this but my gut feeling is that if the subject was ever studied the results would show that "the bigger the diamond the shorter the marriage"   

Offline BorisS

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »

I could be all wrong on this but my gut feeling is that if the subject was ever studied the results would show that "the bigger the diamond the shorter the marriage"

:-))))))))

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934