Forum > Immigration and Visas

New Rules?

(1/8) > >>

Grumpy:
The perma-patsy home secretary, James Cleverly, “liked Stewart Lee a lot better when he was funny” and continues to feign conviction while defending the indefensible. But on Monday, Cleverly revealed that British citizens will now need to earn £38,700 a year before the foreign person they have married can live in the UK. This figure represents a 20 grand rise from the current threshold of £18,600 imposed on anyone unlucky enough to fall in love with a foreigner. The policy is the latest manifestation of the anti-immigration culture wars that are the death throes of this gasping dry wank of a government, malignantly salting the earth for its cursed successors.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/10/james-cleverly-anti-immigration-policy-foreign-wife-tories-stewart-lee

Trenchcoat:

--- Quote from: Grumpy on December 10, 2023, 01:12:13 PM ---The perma-patsy home secretary, James Cleverly, “liked Stewart Lee a lot better when he was funny” and continues to feign conviction while defending the indefensible. But on Monday, Cleverly revealed that British citizens will now need to earn £38,700 a year before the foreign person they have married can live in the UK. This figure represents a 20 grand rise from the current threshold of £18,600 imposed on anyone unlucky enough to fall in love with a foreigner. The policy is the latest manifestation of the anti-immigration culture wars that are the death throes of this gasping dry wank of a government, malignantly salting the earth for its cursed successors.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/10/james-cleverly-anti-immigration-policy-foreign-wife-tories-stewart-lee

--- End quote ---

Which may be all cleverly avoided if you are canny enough like yours truely to be committed to being with a Ukrainian girl ;D

With a Ukrainian girl you can get her in, sponsor her in on a refugee visa if she is not already. On a refugee visa she has the same 5 year wait as on a spouse visa before being able to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain/Citizenship, but with less costs involved and you aren't at risk of the girl being deported should you not have the required income over the next 5 years. Importantly the Spouse visa needs to be renewed ever 2 years so 3 applications for a spouse visa within a 5 year period, at the start, after 2 years and after 4 years in. To keep your income up in the preceding year of each application for many will not be certain so a big risk of her getting kicked out of the country.

The refugee visa on the other hand is given for three years initially, but will likely be extended if the war is ongoing still at the three year point as you can't really take people in to be safe from war just to reject them back into the war. Even if the government didn't stump up first off on this the courts would probably block such deportations, on the point I have just made, etc.

So if you were to meet a girl who had come to the UK around the start of the war she would be already 2 years into the 5 year qualifying period. She would be entitled for certain to be here another year so that makes 3 years. She then needs just two more years. Not a lot and possibly if the war ended in Ukraine (so thereby ending the refugee visa) you might be able to get a spouse vusa for the remaining two years so less distance to carry it, assuming the refugee & spouse years can be added together.

The other thing to bear in mind is that this hits hardest now as the £18.6k did when it was introduced. Back then people were complaining the same as they are now about it. The thing is that I didn't notice anywhere it being mentioned that it would go up with inflation. So over time the hurdle would get less, it's just worse for those now and in the next few years. Here the minimum wage usually goes up each year, so in a few years time it will make it less severe.

For the time being though yes it is steep and shows that most people in this country don't earn a lot. I could theoretically reach this income, but if there is a better easier way around it in terms of the refugee visa, why not.

I think in addition if the girl gets married to a UK guy but moreso if they have children in this country then immigration will be less inclined to want to boot her out and especially if they have children more inclined to try and find a solution.

Trenchcoat:
Here is some more info from the official UK GOV site on when someone can apply for British Citizenship in the UK when married to a British citizen:

"If you’re married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen
To apply as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.

You’ll also need to have either:

indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
If you do, you’ll be eligible to apply for citizenship immediately.

If you have indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
You can usually apply for ILR after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years.

To apply for citizenship with ILR you must usually have lived in the UK for 12 months after getting it."

Trenchcoat:
Another way at present instead of meeting yearly income earnings is to show instead savings in a bank account. The assumption may be that this route will continue after Spring 2024 but is likely to increase also. One unofficial source states:

"Savings: A certain amount of savings can offset the current income requirement, currently the amount is £62,500. However, applying the same calculation to the updated income requirement could mean that this may go up to £112,750 sometime in 2024.
http://spousevisalawyers.co.uk › uk..."

I am guessing that they used done formula to reach this figure possibly the same one that was used to meet the previous figure. However, as far as I am aware no official news yet on whether the savings alternative will still be possible or officially how much it may be. It could be an even higher sum or possibly no longer available since as far as I am aware there was no news of it in the announcement. Possibly though the government might release news later on this, possibly early next year as concern over recently high yearly immigration figures diminish.

This is a source on what savings you need at present. As it states that of course you need more savings if they're are children present - since they are regarded as requiring financial support also:

http://freemovement.org.uk/appendix-fm-financial-requirements/#:~:text=If%20you%20are%20applying%20for,during%20the%206%2Dmonth%20period.

I would assume that it's solely the Partner's children that this covers, rather than joint children who already hold British citizenship.

To be honest my view is that these requirement tend to go beyond the money actually needing to support a partner or spouse and more towards blocking citizenship to keep immigration numbers down. I understand the need to keep immigration numbers down but I think that the UK government recently let in a load of Hong Kongers (even though we left Hong Kong over twenty years ago now :-\ ) and then took in loads of Afghans, I am sure way more than necessary as unhelpful and would have been better of avoiding as we could have rightly done so.

That is one thing I am not happy with Boris Johnson about.

The other is all the boat people coming across to present date.

It seems to me that they are targeting the wrong group to cut down on immigration failing elsewhere of their own making.

That we seemed to allow so many East Europeans to stay in after Brexit while most EU nations seemed not so easy going to Brits I think is another issue.

However, we are where we are now and anyone wanting to get with a foreign woman here (aside from those that have already done so) will have to think carefully about the mechanics of it all I think.

ML:
The money needed should be based on a sliding scale depending on how good the gal looks.

Or better yet, her IQ and overall health.

Or at a minimum, use the Canadian scoring system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version