It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Russian World; The Taste Of Freedom  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Brasscasing

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Russian World; The Taste Of Freedom
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »
Oh those brave, brave Russian men! Patriotic defenders of the Motherland and heroes of the Russian Federation all!

Break out the Order Of Putin Medals, comrades. A great victory has been won!

A single British woman on a solo kayak charity trip has been repulsed from the glorious Russian nation!...

..."'I'm sorry men didn't f*** her': British woman, 28, abandons solo charity kayak in Russia after receiving 'very sinister' threats"...

..."A British woman has abandoned a once-in-a-lifetime charity kayak trip on Russia's Volga River after she claimed she received 'very sinister' threats that left her fearful for her safety."...

..."Laura Kennington was raising money for a children's charity with her solo three month voyage paddling the full length of Europe's longest river to its mouth in the Caspian Sea."...

..."The 28-year-old's 2,300 mile Caspian Challenge epic went viral on the Russian web, but she was trolled with 'aggressive' and vile messages posted to and about her, with a small number threatening her with sexual violence."...

..."One, from a Lyuboslav Adrianovich, wrote: 'I'm really sorry that a crowd of villagers, maybe men from the Caucasus, didn't f*** her so that she can feel the taste of the Russian world and freedom in her mouth."...

..."'This b***h should be happy about the Western perks of writing some blog and other feminist crap.'"...

..."Another, from Aleksandr Lada, said: 'She's planning to float on the Volga alone, 'doesn't speak Russian at all'. Really, she needs help, psychological. Check her perception of reality, so that we don't see posts from Lisa Alert later.' (Lisa Alert is a voluntary group searching for missing people.)

Earlier, the personal trainer from Suffolk had received a late night 'intimidating' visit from a group bearing gifts but who she claimed invaded her privacy while she camped in a tent on the river bank."...

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk

Belvis, you must post more patriotic photographs in celebration of what it means to be a proud Russian!

Doll, more Russian flags and Putin images. Such news is not complete without homage to mighty Vlad and the Russian soul!

I posted just yesterday it's time to start withdrawing diplomats and issuing high risk travel advisories for western nationals in Russia. This article brings into focus the need for implementing same.

Brass

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:05:49 AM by Brasscasing »
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Boethius

Re: Russian World; The Taste Of Freedom
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:41 AM »
Some of that is her lack of understanding of the culture.  She should have just gone with the flow and partied with those that showed up.  I doubt anything would have happened to her, and that definitely was not a threatening gesture.  It actually was a positive gesture.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »
Some of that is her lack of understanding of the culture.  She should have just gone with the flow and partied with those that showed up.  I doubt anything would have happened to her, and that definitely was not a threatening gesture.  It actually was a positive gesture.

Intimidation isn't cultural, it's personal.

What happens if going with the flow includes several of the boys deciding to give her the gift of a taste of Russian World freedom?

If I arrived in the middle of the night with the crew, entered a lone female's campsite and refused to leave because "ewwie baby, we ain't leaving just yet. We traveled a ways just to see y'all out here." I think that might just be a bit intimidating, don't you?

Maybe the boys could'a waited till morning to set and jaw awhile, no?

Sorry Bo but we disagree on this. She's fortunate she didn't end up face down in the river.  :(

Brass

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »
Intimidation isn't cultural, it's personal.

What happens if going with the flow includes several of the boys deciding to give her the gift of a taste of Russian World freedom?

If I arrived in the middle of the night with the crew, entered a lone female's campsite and refused to leave because "ewwie baby, we ain't leaving just yet. We traveled a ways just to see y'all out here." I think that might just be a bit intimidating, don't you?

Maybe the boys could'a waited till morning to set and jaw awhile, no?

Sorry Bo but we disagree on this. She's fortunate she didn't end up face down in the river.  :(

Brass

I dunno Brass. I have to saddle up with Boe on this one. Seems Ms Kennington IMHO, should have familiarized a bit more with the country and it's customs. Apparently she didn't study much more than a water navigation map. That onus is on her. Certainly there will be hostilities on a 2700 mile trip. There likely would in any country. Don't ya think?

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
I dunno Brass. I have to saddle up with Boe on this one. Seems Ms Kennington IMHO, should have familiarized a bit more with the country and it's customs. Apparently she didn't study much more than a water navigation map. That onus is on her. Certainly there will be hostilities on a 2700 mile trip. There likely would in any country. Don't ya think?

I'm not sure the Russian custom/culture of threatening a lone women trying to complete an international children's charity challenge with gang rape, middle of the night 'party' visits and/or being 'disappeared' is something you can familiarize yourself with, FP.

Suggesting she should have made allowances for Russian customs/culture and simply accepted being intimidated or shrugged off the threats treads dangerously close to the "It's her fault for being the victim" argument in my book.

I never did buy into the 'she wanted it because she was at the night club without a date' or 'she knew better than to be walking home alone that time of night' rationale. I kinda adhere to the old fashioned notion that the criminals bear at least some responsibility for their actions.

I applaud her decision to abandon her charity attempt and get the hell out of Dodge. Ms Kennington shows she has some survival instinct and common dog. She read the terrain and made the right choice...Smart lady.

In regards to both your and Bo's comments about due diligence before travel. Maybe...However, if there had been high risk travel advisories in place/posted for Russian travel when she was planning her trek she might not have attempted it in the first place.

Giving travelers the tools to make responsible, informed decisions is also part of the equation in my book. We (the west) have advisories routinely posted regarding the dangers of traveling in outlaw countries and dangerous/violent/hostile regions.

It's time to add Russia to the list.

Brass

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:29:18 AM by Brasscasing »

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:52:55 AM »
Brass,

Not sure that Russia should be added for High Risk travel just yet.  Thousands of Westerners fly in and out of Russia every day.   There is still business to be done. 

There is certainly a fringe element of Russian society to be avoided.  But staying in major population centers or with native Russian families will alleviate risk factors.

As others have said:  Use your head.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
Brass no doubt we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.  It was her planned trip of a 2700 mile journey and no doubt in this instance she felt harassed. Noted. The story didn't have any mention about a gang rape occurring or instances of her disappearing. She was on a 2700 mile trip, such a trip in any country will intersect with bad element. The story doesn't indicate that the late night party of visitors caused her any harm at all. I think she was deluding herself to think it would be 2700 miles of cheers, pats on the back and peaches and cream. Seems you're deluding yourself if you believe she shouldn't have been more prepared for what she might encounter.

This occurred in Russia and could have very easily occurred anywhere else in the world. Pick any 2700 mile trip you like

Offline jone

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
The Amazon? The little fishies are not as nice as in the Volga.

But I found a guide to take me down the river (or up the river) without a paddle.

Both the Amazon and the Nile are longer than the Volga.  I would guess the Mississippi is too. 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Brass,

Not sure that Russia should be added for High Risk travel just yet.  Thousands of Westerners fly in and out of Russia every day.   There is still business to be done. 

There is certainly a fringe element of Russian society to be avoided.  But staying in major population centers or with native Russian families will alleviate risk factors.

As others have said:  Use your head.

And for those that continue to do business in Russia or decide the risk is worth it then that's up to them.

It doesn't alter the fact that Russia is an outlaw country becoming increasingly hostile towards the west and by extension western nationals on what seems a daily basis.

Travel advisories do not ban travel, they provide information. Information that allows any traveler or expat to have a more complete picture.

Brass

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
The story didn't have any mention about a gang rape occurring or instances of her disappearing.

I believe the article and myself mentioned threats and intimidation, not occurences...

..."The 28-year-old's 2,300 mile Caspian Challenge epic went viral on the Russian web, but she was trolled with 'aggressive' and vile messages posted to and about her, with a small number threatening her with sexual violence."...

..."One, from a Lyuboslav Adrianovich, wrote: 'I'm really sorry that a crowd of villagers, maybe men from the Caucasus, didn't f*** her so that she can feel the taste of the Russian world and freedom in her mouth."...

..."Another, from Aleksandr Lada, said: 'She's planning to float on the Volga alone, 'doesn't speak Russian at all'. Really, she needs help, psychological. Check her perception of reality, so that we don't see posts from Lisa Alert later.' (Lisa Alert is a voluntary group searching for missing people.)

..."Earlier, the personal trainer from Suffolk had received a late night 'intimidating' visit from a group bearing gifts but who she claimed invaded her privacy while she camped in a tent on the river bank."...

..."Ten Russians found her tent at 11pm insisting she should 'eat, drink and be merry with them, excusing their intrusion with 'but we have driven to see you'.

'Imagine how intimidating it is when they refuse to leave,' she added."...

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk

She was on a 2700 mile trip, such a trip in any country will intersect with bad element. The story doesn't indicate that the late night party of visitors caused her any harm at all. I think she was deluding herself to think it would be 2700 miles of cheers, pats on the back and peaches and cream. Seems you're deluding yourself if you believe she shouldn't have been more prepared for what she might encounter.

I reiterate, I'm not sure the Russian custom/culture of threatening a lone women trying to complete an international children's charity challenge with gang rape, middle of the night 'party' visits and/or being 'disappeared' is something you can familiarize yourself with or prepare for.

This occurred in Russia and could have very easily occurred anywhere else in the world. Pick any 2700 mile trip you like

And just about anywhere else on the planet she would have had a reasonable expectation of safety and/or privacy. If what occurred in Russia had happened to her in Europe or North America with the internet threats and late night visit there would have been a criminal investigation and possibly charges laid.

Areas in Central/South America, Africa, the middle east or Asia are possibly the exceptions...However, there are high risk travel advisories already in place for those regions.

Brass
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:23:48 PM by Brasscasing »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
The impromptu party (even at 11 p.m.) for a foregin guest, in particular, is very Russian/Ukrainian, although not usually that late.  She should have known that.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
The impromptu party (even at 11 p.m.) for a foregin guest, in particular, is very Russian/Ukrainian, although not usually that late.  She should have known that.

Put it in context, Bo...

A women travelling by kayak alone makes camp beside the river. 10 Russians apparently "find" her tent/campground at night, enter her campsite and refuse to leave when asked under the pretext 'but we have driven to see you'.

Based on the article, up to this point in her trek, "Russian hospitality" had consisted of sinister messages and threats of sexual violence.

Did she post on her website or tweet her exact location? Who knows but these people drove to see her. That's 10 people 2-3 cars? Were these people kayakers, part of the charity, had made donations maybe? Or just decided to, what amounts to, hunt down a lone foreign woman camping by the side of a river in the middle of the night to party.

If she was staying with a sponsoring family, official guest of the government or host charity and if these people had been even remotely connected with same I'd maybe agree with you to some extent but these people were apparently strangers.

So, if there are bands of Russian people driving around in the middle of the night dispensing welcome wagon gifts and insisting on partying with foreign travelers in the middle of nowhere, I'd like to read some examples because it's the first I've heard of it.

Brass

Offline Belvis

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
Belvis, you must post more patriotic photographs in celebration of what it means to be a proud Russian!

No problem, as you wish:

Volga is not the best route to travel  on a  kayak. She should take a trip in Siberia, where the nature is wild so people can't bother her. Yeah, dwellers of villages at Volga may intimidate  solo starry-eyed Englishwomen, though I heard some of them can make just the opposite.

I posted just yesterday it's time to start withdrawing diplomats and issuing high risk travel advisories for western nationals in Russia.

High risk travel in Russia. Drunken villagers at Volga shores and bears attacks on solo girls:

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 08:02:11 AM »

..."Ten Russians found her tent at 11pm insisting she should 'eat, drink and be merry with them, excusing their intrusion with 'but we have driven to see you'.

'Imagine how intimidating it is when they refuse to leave,' she added."...

If they really had bad intentions towards her, what would have happened?  She didn't see it as an honor, but an intrusion.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
No problem, as you wish:

Volga is not the best route to travel  on a  kayak. She should take a trip in Siberia, where the nature is wild so people can't bother her. Yeah, dwellers of villages at Volga may intimidate  solo starry-eyed Englishwomen, though I heard some of them can make just the opposite.

High risk travel in Russia. Drunken villagers at Volga shores and bears attacks on solo girls:

I understand why you'd want to make light of the incident. It's bad optics for your fearless leader's nationalistic agenda. In reality though it's Putin's agenda that's the root cause of the alarming rise in violence towards foreigners.

Take yourself for instance, no concern or sympathy. Just more pics of women in various poses. Do you think pretty girls makes it all o.k.? You probably do, it'd be consistent with the "I see nothing, I know nothing!" attitude of the German population during the escalating nationalistic violence/criminality seen in Germany circa '37/'38.

She picked the Volga because it's supposed to be the longest river in Europe, ergo the 'challenge'.

The individuals may have been villagers or they may not have been. I note that your default excuse is ' drunk villagers' although there's nothing in the article to suggest that conclusion. Is that going to be the official party explanation if pressed?

Brass

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
If they really had bad intentions towards her, what would have happened?

We can refer to the Russian's themselves for three possible outcomes...

She didn't see it as an honor, but an intrusion.

Up to that point the Russians were 'honoring' her with threats of sexual assault and violence. I fail to see how an unannounced late night visit to her campsight by 10 individuals could have been viewed as anything else.

Brass

Offline Belvis

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »
Take yourself for instance, no concern or sympathy. Just more pics of women in various poses.

Yes, I'm interested more in women in various poses than  thinking about mental discomfort of the travelling Englishwoman, who was intimidated presumably by a few villagers wanting to party with her. If she takes close to heart  comments in social networks, it's time for her to visit psychoanalyst. I'm not a psychoanalyst and will enjoy pretty women in various poses, sorry.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »
I understand why you'd want to make light of the incident. It's bad optics for your fearless leader's nationalistic agenda. In reality though it's Putin's agenda that's the root cause of the alarming rise in violence towards foreigners.

Take yourself for instance, no concern or sympathy. Just more pics of women in various poses. Do you think pretty girls makes it all o.k.? You probably do, it'd be consistent with the "I see nothing, I know nothing!" attitude of the German population during the escalating nationalistic violence/criminality seen in Germany circa '37/'38.

YOU asked him to join the thread, and YOU goaded him to post a picture.  He did as you asked.

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
Yes, I'm interested more in women in various poses than  thinking about mental discomfort of the travelling Englishwoman, who was intimidated presumably by a few villagers wanting to party with her. If she takes close to heart  comments in social networks, it's time for her to visit psychoanalyst. I'm not a psychoanalyst and will enjoy pretty women in various poses, sorry.

Pretty well the answer I was expecting.

This is why the high risk travel advisories need to be implemented. When we start seeing answers like this from Russians endorsing institutionalized lawlessness, it's time to start warning the civilized world.

I imagine this attitude is prevalent across Russia. I sincerely hope a woman never needs to rely upon you for protection or help, Belvis. My guess would be you'd be too busy drooling over girlie pics to render much assistance.

Brass

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »
YOU asked him to join the thread, and YOU goaded him to post a picture.  He did as you asked.

Thanks for the play by play sports commentary, Howard.

Brass

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 05:47:36 AM »
I could not resist, after waiting a week or so, I keep hearing Dueling Banjo's from Deliverance.

Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2377
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2364
Total: 2375

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Today at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Today at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM