It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Leaving Russia  (Read 10401 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Leaving Russia
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:39:40 AM »
SC and my Russian friends were sl. concerned about me travelling back - as I had no natural Russian speaker with me - but I reasoned that I would get by ....

SC and I left the car in Adler to be loaded, drove back to Sochi and had the longest time together of the trip. 

We sat in the railway station and waited for the train - not knowing what the next couple of months would bring....  I couldn't say when I'll be back due to biz commitments and she couldn't come to the UK for a family event as she was busy with her biz (

I boarded the train in a decidedly sad mood .

It was a 'normal' single-decker train to Moscow - as I couldn't get the car on a direct train to Piter .

I ended up sharing with three pensioners - two ladies and a gentleman on their annual free trip to a 'health sanitorium'. They spoke little English and my Russian was tested to it's limit ... I wasn't my chatty self and hated every mile I got further from SC .

I got to Moscow in the early evening and planned to stay at a friend's place rather than a hotel. I couldn't drink wine / beer as I had to wait for the call from the car transport people to say it had been off-loaded from the train - as it had to be loaded next morning on the late evening train to Piter ( at a location as yet unknown )   I also had to pay for the ticket for the car - involving lot's of questions and documentation.

We went to a Scots bar - the lass' wore tartan mini skirts and we watched Manchester United v Man City - probably THE biggest game of the UK football season - esp. as they were in 2nd and first places, respectively

I had to drink zero alcohol beer and had a Duck Burger in a black bread bun !  It was DELICIOUS... 

After the game we took a taxi to collect the car ....  and was pleased to find Boris - who had been responsible for the trip down to Sochi was on duty ))  The hand-over was simple - the car had been well looked after and he informed what time to go to the ticket office next morning ... 0830 ...   !!

THAT meant driving in a Moscow rush hour ((

The route from my friends to the ticket office was easy by metro and on foot - but was going to be challenging by car ...  However, I got it right first time and arrived at the car booking office to find it open - but akin to the Mary Celeste  - devoid of people... The 2 km road runs down the side of the Leningradsky Railway stn and was compacted ice ..I could see pedestrians were having trouble walking!  The car had it's fist test on winter tyres and it was spooky driving in conditions that on normal tyres would have been DANGEROUS. I parked outside the booking offices and sighed a deep sigh... Was it going to be like this driving in N.Russia and Finland ? Was I CRAZY ?

I waited 10 mins and then banged on an office door where I thought I could hear people talking.

Unfortunately, none of the staff were the same as my outbound trip - but we muddled through as I had two former bookings so much of the info they didn't understand about my car - from the UK docs - could be found on the Customs import forms or previous car / rail transporter journeys.... There are a LOT of forms to sign )

Now the problem was - where to find the loading bay place ....  I needn't have worried ... it was literally around the corner

A kind officer worker walked around inside as the bell to the electric sliding doors was not responded to and it was COLD outside..   The two guys were watching TV and the 'chief' was not pleased to be caught out..much shouting at the office lady and suggestion she could have called his mobile .. ))

He insisted on loading my car ..may be because a Ferrari and 'Lambo' were going to be loaded ? :))

Now I was without a car and on a private road covered in ice and not sure if a taxi would be allowed past the barriers - I had had to show my passport and reservation to GET to the booking offices.  I was wearing Gortex ( waterproof ) waking boots  and thick socks - but the rubber soles had lost their suppleness and were 'hard' thus v.slippy to walk ... It was better to find snowy places to walk ))

I met my friend  - who loves Moscow - I never have - and he wanted to show my where he worked and surprised me by stopping off in Red Square .... I had only ever been under it on the Metro

Lenin's tomb was closed - only open from 10-13 hrs and clearly not as popular as before

We took the Metro using a Troika card - you buy the card and top it up - and each journey - as you enter the system debits your card...... Unlike London - when you leave - you don't swipe your card - so the journeys are all the same cost  - no zones -distance is not an object !  I found a 'Kasa' opened just next to me as I got to the front of the queue and the ladies English was commensurate with my Russian - so we chatted in Ringlish ..... I bought the card and topped it up for the days journey's

We ate in an American All Day Breakfast place and the waitress ( Anastasiya ) spoke great English and was as 'tasty' as the food.  When you are an 'ol git, like me - you can appreciate the beauty and are reminded that your first born is likely older ;)

BTW, that's the name of this Tea - it's got swea-weed and a bitter sweet fruit ?

Moscow has always seemed cold to me - I had always been in a rush and got stuck in traffic jams - or rushing to / from biz meetings - or being ripped off by taxi drivers / porters with no change .....   This road trip had given me the opportunity to experience her at a slower pace.  I warmed sl. to her !

I got to meet one of my friend's clients ( another attractive, smart  lass ) and observed the car / tea bars were buzzin' ... 

Evening fell and we attended a Kazak restaurant and I could have a beer, but I was tense as I was missing SC and felt guilty that I was having 'all the fun' (   The meal was GREAT and my friend and I parted ways - him having booked me a Yandex taxi to Leningradsky stn.....  The train left at 01:15 ( yep 1 AM) and I hoped to be first on board and crash on the sleeper to Piter ...

Conclusion: I liked Moscow, better, now !

I observed the LED board showed departure times in Russian English and simplified Chinese !...   

Around 00:15 the train pulled in and I was in the first carriage...so it was a long walk ... 19 carriages / coaches / cars / wagons ) My car was in a carriage immediately behind the locos, but before mine and because the carriages weren't opened I had time to take a photo of the Salsan ( high speed train to / from Piter )

As soon as the doors were unlocked - I was first on, undressed - into my Pj's and crashed....   I was woken by a young lady and her b/f boarding just before the train set off  - but I was too tired to let the lights keep me awake....

It was ( just )  the 12th December and  tomorrow I had to find my way out of Piter  - having found the car depot - and drive to Finland !...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:40:35 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

Re: Leaving Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
The Photos of Sochi-Moscow are can be seen, now

Offline msmob

Re: Leaving Russia - to St Petersburg
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
The journey to Piter took 8 hours - it can be done in 4 hours on the SAPSAN - I'll spelt it Salsan in an earlier post - but noticed to late to correct ...

I needed the rest ( long drive ahead ) and as we approached Piter took a photo...It was GREY ..

Dawn came after nine and there was a bitter wind when I emerged from the station - having checked with the car guys - who reckoned it might be 3 hours before the car carriage would be shunted to the right place and unloaded

Train from Moscow..

I had agreed to meet a British guy who lives in  Piter and he recommended the Galleria Shopping Centre which was 4 minutes brisk walk from the station.

This Mall wasn't around when I had last been in Piter ( April 2004) and it had a Marks and Spencer... and a Hamley's of London toy shop ..something Brits will be pleased to hear ;)

We met in a nice restaurant and breakfast was great.  It's highly subjective, but I think there are proportionately more attractive lasses in Piter ( more attractive to me means beautiful in natural way )

Our breakfast over, it was time to find the car as it was ready - early.   I could have called a Taxi- but I thought a walk in the brisk wind would do me good.

The car depot - according to the Russian Railways map - was opposite the Mall - involving a 10 minute U- walk around the end of the terminus... HAH !

Twenty-five minutes later, having completed the U - and having to walk to the far end of the platforms and beyond I heard a multi-cylinder engine fire up in a carriage and v.slowly a Ferrari emerged.

I  then observed my trusty steed has already been embarked and I was near frozen - despite many layers of clothes.

I watched the Ferrari slide down the icy ramp to safety - signed for my car - and was SO relieved to shelter from the biting wind

I threw my gear in the back seat - fired up Yandex Navigator on one device and Waze on another and programmed in my destiNATion... a small town in Finland

This wasn't easy - as I couldn't find my reading glasses - so I had to choose a town that was close by and the sat navs could recognise my 'Finnish' accent ;)

By now the car was warm and I set up on the icy road back to the security barrier and 'escape' from Piter...  it was now 1400 local and it would be dark WAY before 1600 (

The Neva was to my right - I stopped to stake a short vid - as opening the window was ill-advised and I filled up - noting that this was the first place in Russia that filled me up and THEN I paid !!!!   I brimmed it knowing that I'd be back in the EU and had forgotten to ask "How much is Diesel in Finland"

The sat navs disagreed on the best route out of town - so I took the route that stuck to the Gulf of Finland

Then it started to rain ....  it being cold - it froze and even with Winter tyres - I was PETRIFIED....   Trucks with trailers 'flew' past on the dual carriage way to Vyborg .. I was now in Karelia ... part of Finland until the Winter War of 1941 and I didn't see it's beauty as night fell and the rain became snow

I called Raija ( pron Rrai - i - YAa ) - my hostess in Finland - and she informed me that it had been snowing 'hard' for an hour and 'settling nicely' in that Finnish sing song accent ...  She informed me I'd likely arrive at 2200.. forgetting I had not idea how long the border crossing would take and I had promised to buy BEER and plenty of it - as it is much cheaper in Russia.

The dual carriage-way became one lane - due to the uncleared snow and the volume of it falling meant it was hard to see were the road side was - despite it being on my side - should have been an advantage being a RHD car )

A LED speed limit of 50 KPH ( approx 30MPH) had started flashing and them roadworks ensured that if I stuck to the speed limit I was going to 'annoy' a lot of trucks behind me

However, as we had to cross from one side of the road to the other - only one side was being worked on - I observed 5Kph flashing signs and orange lights ....   A truck that had earlier given me a LONG blast of an impatient horn - 'get a move on' ..  had just left the road at a chicane and I was the leader of a 'convoy' that slowed.... saw him emerge with his co-driver and confirm they had sunk in deep snow ....

I honestly felt sorry for them - but they did me a favour as I could squeeze past - but NOT the following  lorries - so I had no pressure from behind to go faster than *I* wanted

After want seemed an eternity of snow flakes appearing out of the black I saw a sign for civilisation ..Vyborg pulled off the highway and found a supermarket and bought 16 litres of beer - the max permitted to import

I had stopped snowing, but Vyborg's outskirt did not appear in the dark or orange lights ....  I wanted to be in Finland, now...  to get to my destination and 'relax'...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:00:57 PM by msmob »

Offline msmob

Re: Leaving Russia - map to Finland
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
This was my route .... 'only' 250 miles (c. 450 km)  - but add the freezing rain, snow and poor viz and it was 'fun'

My average - after buying craft beer at Vyborg tumbled as - although there was little traffic - the viz got worse.

A sign appeared warning I was entering a border zone and I missed a turn of the E18/A123 to the border crossing near  Lappeenranta...  ( A127) I wanted to do a U-turn but the viz was so bad, I had to find a large turning circle - I did not want to be t-boned by a large articulated lorry.

I had taken the route to the Helsinki crossing and had to do three km before I could turn - the snow off road was now quite deep - but for those not used to driving with winter tyres it seemed like magic as the car just gripped in conditions where it would have been impossible to drive with normal tyres

I nearly missed the turn on the way back - as the sign was covered in snow - and the exit hard to define ...   The road became a normal two lane road and the snow stopped.

The route was winding, following a canal and I rounded a bend to find a Russian ( lady) Soldier all on her own - had stepped out from a guard hut that she could only stand up in - asking me to stop !  I thought I had taken a wrong turn - but she only wanted to see my passport and on I went ..   and on and on ... 

I passed coaches, lorries and cars heading from the border but I STILL seemed to be the only vehicle heading for Finland!

The road was compacted fresh snow and I should have stopped to clear my headlamps but figured, "the border post must be soon ".... WRONG... 

I think it took 40 minutes until saw bright lights and I had to wait for a barrier to raise and enter.  The first stop was to confirm the number of occupants - then drove to the customs / border post...

THEN the fun started ... A young Soldier spoke in fast Russian and I didn't understand... so he shouted the same and I just lifted my arms in puzzlement...

He raised his boot to my number ( licence) plate and removed the snow .... The plate being visible didn't help ... He asked, " which country are you from", in Russian in an impatient way and I replied  - in English, "Which country?, Northern Ireland"...  It was out before I wondered why I hadn't said simply Britain ...  Now he was probably embarrassed as he could not be understood and he disappeared inside and a lady came out having put on her large coat...   "Go to passport Control" - So I did ....

"Where are the car documents and your driver's licence?" - in Russian ... but I understood and asked, in English, for confirmation ...   "YES", impatient .... once more ((! 

This was surely not going to be a Latvian experience? ((....  The Russian border guards had been so friendly when entering at the Pskov region.

It was cold and the lady was taking an age with my passport ...  then another lady - Customs - asked me to enter the office ( in Russian)  ... "great" , I thought warmth and kindness ...

WRONG...

"Where are your car documents ?" ( in Russian )

"with the other lady - passport lady" - in English

"Go get them", in Russian -  says another Customs lady(#2) from behind a desk ... I pondered ... did I want to try to ask passport lady #1 for my docs - that she had taken from me ? .... No ...I played the dumb tourist ...

Much fast chatter - the gist of which I was I was an idiot for driving to Russia and not having a Russian speaker with me .... they wondered HOW I could have got from Sochi ))

Customs lady #1 went to the passport section to retrieve my docs ..

Customs lady #2 speaks ok English and has never seen a UK form V5C and doesn't understand it ....  I produce the Railway documentation and it really helps - a smile ... the ice is broken

Young Soldier comes in and speaks fast .... he wants my car moving - but I don't get to where...

I guess ...

I'm wrong )) 

He is angry,

I laugh - probably not wise ... but I say to him in Russian ...
"Please speak more slowly - I may understand want you want... " ...   

He raises his book to scrape the snow off my rear plate - no country ID, either - but it is yellow - not white and this intrigues him ....   I use my hand to show the GB sticker ....  STILL no clue...

Having moved the car  - more cars are arriving and I am occupying all resources - I am ordered back into the customs offices whereby the soldier asked where is GV ( Georgia? - it'd GB, of course)   and customs lady #2 puts him straight.....  He looked at me and said , "he claims he is Irish" ...

to which #2 customs lady explains - "it is an English car ( she was right, actually ) but he is from Ireland" ...
"..

Young soldier rolls eyes and heads out to ask yet another car to wait...

Finally, after much typing I am handed back my docs and passport and I say "Good bye" - smile and get into the car - expecting the barrier to open and I can be on my way...

Young Soldier appears, again... "You must go to passport control" ...( in Russian) ... me thinking that was done and dusted...

'silly me'

So I go to #1 passport lady who is dealing with  a family from another car.. and #2 passport lady waves me to a window on t'other side .... 

I had given her my passport - but she wants my car docs and driver's licence, again ....   I guess #1 didn't finish ... ?

10 minutes of scanning and leafing though my passport .... checking the days I'd been in Russia ... we had worked out I had one day left and she seemed to be trying to delay me until midnight the next day ))

Suddenly she beamed a smile and said "Have a good journey", in Russian and I was back to the car, again ... It had started snowing, again ..

Incredibly, young soldier lifted the barrier and I smiled and waved - but got that Russian 'unimpressed'  look as I drove onto the last booth - where I had to get out and run around the front of my car...passport checked, barrier raised and the EU ?....

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:38:01 PM by msmob »

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
I threw my gear in the back seat - fired up Yandex Navigator on one device and Waze on another and programmed in my destitution... a small town in Finland

From the sound of things, destitution could have been quite a strong possibility if you weren't able to get across the border!

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »
From the sound of things, destitution could have been quite a strong possibility if you weren't able to get across the border!

Corrected - must have been a Freudian slip ?

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »
The journey to Piter took 8 hours - it can be done in 4 hours on the SAPSAN - I'll spelt it Salsan in an earlier post - but noticed to late to correct ...

I needed the rest ( long drive ahead ) and as we approached Piter took a photo...It was GREY ..

I had agreed to meet a British guy who lives in  Piter and he recommended the Galleria Shopping Centre which was 4 minutes brisk walk from the station.

Our breakfast over, it was time to find the car as it was ready - early.   I could have called a Taxi- but I thought a walk in the brisk wind would do me good.
The car depot - according to the Russian Railways map - was opposite the Mall - involving a 10 minute U- walk around the end of the terminus... HAH !
Twenty-five minutes later, having completed the U - and having to walk to the far end of the platforms and beyond I heard a multi-cylinder engine fire up in a carriage and v.slowly a Ferrari emerged.

I  then observed my trusty steed has already been embarked and I was near frozen - despite many layers of clothes.

I threw my gear in the back seat - fired up Yandex Navigator on one device and Waze on another and programmed in my destiNATion... a small town in Finland

By now the car was warm and I set up on the icy road back to the security barrier and 'escape' from Piter...  it was now 1400 local and it would be dark WAY before 1600 (

The Neva was to my right - I stopped to stake a short vid - as opening the window was ill-advised and I filled up - noting that this was the first place in Russia that filled me up and THEN I paid !!!!   I brimmed it knowing that I'd be back in the EU and had forgotten to ask "How much is Diesel in Finland"

The sat navs disagreed on the best route out of town - so I took the route that stuck to the Gulf of Finland

Then it started to rain ....  it being cold - it froze and even with Winter tyres - I was PETRIFIED....   Trucks with trailers 'flew' past on the dual carriage way to Vyborg .. I was now in Karelia ... part of Finland until the Winter War of 1941 and I didn't see it's beauty as night fell and the rain became snow

Some thoughts...

Actually your train took 9 hours, I am sure it 'seemed' less( I have taken this exact train). I knew it also one of few that carried cars.

Whenever it is a clouded day...it does look grey!!! ))

Brisk walk to Galeria took 4 brisk minutes??? Man you are slow!!!! I did in under 2!!! When it is cold, i get around quicker!!!
Strange to think about calling taxi to gvet back to train station. Did you get lost running around train station to find where your vehicle was??
It isn't so much about layers as having proper outer jacket, muffler, gloves and warm beenie!!

I thought it was normal in Russia to pump gas before paying!!! At least in Cheboksary and Yoshkar-Ola it was!!

So the rain froze???? Like hail???

Glad you made it out of SPb easily and on to Finnish your road trip!!! ))
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »

I thought it was normal in Russia to pump gas before paying!!! At least in Cheboksary and Yoshkar-Ola it was!!

In Ukraine -- procedure is to  either pay the cash to the attendant or cashier  ---  or lodge card with cashier -- who will then remotely unlock the pump.
Very often -there is an attendant  at the pump itself who does the work .These guys ( & occassionally girls) will also often wash screen etc
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 12:34:29 AM »

Some thoughts...

Actually your train took 9 hours, I am sure it 'seemed' less( I have taken this exact train). I knew it also one of few that carried cars.

Quite right

You win a prize for paying attention ))

Whenever it is a clouded day...it does look grey!!! ))

I mean it was really grey...( grey, dirty snow, etc., )

Brisk walk to Galeria took 4 brisk minutes??? Man you are slow!!!! I did in under 2!!! When it is cold, i get around quicker!!!

Next time you are there please DO try google maps - walking mode - from the station to Baklazhan Restaurant on the 4th floor..  :rolleyes:

Strange to think about calling taxi to gvet back to train station. Did you get lost running around train station to find where your vehicle was??

Perhaps my description wasn't clear... the siding where the car awaited was not 'at the station' and the route to it was a U around the station, a U to the back of the station, through a security barrier for the Post Office Sorting Offices, another U and a long walk on a private road parallel to the sidings..away from the stn..

This picture shows the distance back to the Post office sorting offices -using google maps ... photo taken from Voyennaya Street

I'm the little yellow man and the you can follow the blue line up, right, left, left and left, past the Terminal entrance, back down the other side of the terminal to the Galeria...

You can see the car carriage on the other side of the wall.

Given the Russian Railways map showed the collection point at the Post office sorting offices- when it was a further 1 km down a bumpy snow / icy private track - you might indeed wonder at my advice - if you ever use the car train - to take a taxi ! ;)

There's a dividing wall -  from Voyenna Street to the railway sidings - so one cannot walk down the street - I know ...I tried and had to walk back ((

It isn't so much about layers as having proper outer jacket, muffler, gloves and warm beenie!!

Er, I wore ALL those things and thermal undies.. This poster was still cold... after the 'search' for my car :( ..and I REALLY needed to GO..as in relieve myself))

From Poland east - it was the norm ... In all my years being driven / driving in FSU countries it was the only time it has happened - hence my making a 'deal' of it ..      I sought a local expert's comment as to whether this was indeed an exception..

So the rain froze???? Like hail???

No.. Have you never encountered Freezing rain, in LA ?! ))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing_rain

Glad you made it out of SPb easily and on to Finnish your road trip!!! ))

I've only got to the last Russian border check-point, yet ! ..Be patient ! ;)

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:50 AM »

Freezing rain is worse than snow.  It's rain that turns to ice when it hits the ground.  It is very dangerous.  I took a bad tumble walking to my car from the office thanks to freezing rain.  The problem when you're down is getting up, as it is so slippery.  I was lucky - there was a young man nearby who helped me up.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:42 AM »
In Ukraine -- procedure is to  either pay the cash to the attendant or cashier  ---  or lodge card with cashier -- who will then remotely unlock the pump.
Very often -there is an attendant  at the pump itself who does the work .These guys ( & occassionally girls) will also often wash screen etc

Not my recent experience...

Paying by card.. You say how much you want - pay and THEN the pump is activated .. If you cannot fill up the amount you require ( because you've over-estimated the amount you need) the amount is given back in cash

Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Russia

Offline LAman

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:10 AM »

Next time you are there please DO try google maps - walking mode - from the station to Baklazhan Restaurant on the 4th floor..  :rolleyes:

Er, I wore ALL those things and thermal undies..

Google maps do not always take you shortest route!!! Believe me I know!!!

I had good outer jacket with layers and walked around for several hours last week and never felt cold, granted it was around 0C but had brisk wind!!! brrr

Freezing rain ? Well on chance it ever gets below OC in LA, I might never know what freezing rain is.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline JayH

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:38 AM »

[/quote]
Not my recent experience...

Paying by card.. You say how much you want - pay and THEN the pump is activated .. If you cannot fill up the amount you require ( because you've over-estimated the amount you need) the amount is given back in cash

Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Russia

MMM -- I was referencing FILLING the tank--which is my usual practice .
I stand by my comments 100%.

I was talking specifically about Ukraine.
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 01:24:02 AM »
Google maps do not always take you shortest route!!! Believe me I know!!!

There was NO shorter way - save flying ...   I checked with Yandex Navigator

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 01:32:41 AM »

MMM -- I was referencing FILLING the tank--which is my usual practice .
I stand by my comments 100%.

I was talking specifically about Ukraine.

Jay, I'm not sure what you believe other people do, but sometimes we fill our tanks when they aren't empty - long journey or a thank you to someone -  or hire cars in places such as Ukraine - where we aren't sure what it will take to brim the tank.

Offline JayH

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 02:18:33 AM »
Jay, I'm not sure what you believe other people do, but sometimes we fill our tanks when they aren't empty - long journey or a thank you to someone -  or hire cars in places such as Ukraine - where we aren't sure what it will take to brim the tank.

Moby -I try to not respond to so many of your dumb comments -
BUT -- it kills you that others actually do know a lot etc  Knowledge and experiences are not exclusive to YOU-- !!!!

I would have thought it was not necessary to spell EVERYTHING out in such a simple post -- saying it again-  I usually fill the tank-- that might be 10 litres or 80 litres !
So-- the procedure is this-- I instruct attendant at pump-- and explain/indicate I will use card -- then go to window- or into servo to cashier -- who I hand card to - explain tank is being FILLED- they release pump - attendant fills- ( while I am waiting next to card/cashier) - on completion card is processed.
I must have witnessed about a 1000 others doing the same !

Yes-- you can pre-pay a fixed amount by cash or card. I do not recall seeing a cash refund from a card over payment. Cash-yes.

There are some variations on the same theme from station to station --but the principle is the same -or near enough.

For self serve ( which are appearing now)   same pronciple-pre pay or if unknown amount- leave card with cashier.

Now to do  what you do when you attempt to assert your "superior" experiences -- I would bet my experience rate better than 100 times to your 1 -- NB --in Ukraine.
So back in your box  :deadhorse:

FWIW  -- I almost always fill tank -- when in UKR and anywhere else ! The only exception is a car with a very specific need for "fresh" fuel  which only get fuel for immediate use . :)

Offline Boethius

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 02:34:19 AM »
What are you driving that would take 80 liters of fuel?
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:12 AM »
Moby -I try to not respond to so many of your dumb comments -

Try harder - There is NOTHING 'dumb'- in posting one's actual experiences ..... Have you driven a Russian reg'd car in Ukraine?  Crossed over into UA from the Russian side and back?

What are you driving that would take 80 liters of fuel?

))

Had a family VW 'Toerag' Touareg that had a 100 litre tank and regularly hit the limit at self-service autopay filling stations

The car I used to travel to and from Russia has a 70 litre tank

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:05:10 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

Re: Leaving Russia - Finland ?
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 04:25:09 AM »
Now I had 'left' Russia, right ? ....

I could only see a long line of lorries awaiting clearance into Russia - about 1km long - but as the snow stared falling again - no sign of the Finnish border control... This was no man's land ?   I passed a Russian duty free shop and then nothing ... for an age...  Where was Finland ?

May be 10 minutes later, I saw bright lights and emerged from the narrow undulating and winding road into a large amphitheatre in the forest.  I saw the Blue EU symbol and Finnish flag, and a barrier.....  There was a building to the left but no humans !))

A Finnish Volvo appeared, the lady got out and walked into the building - holding her passport - so I followed her,

By the time I got in, she had 'disappeared' and I saw two border guards sat at a desk.

"Welcome to Finland" was the greeting - "you are a long way from home"  ..  I nearly collapsed with relief... a friendly border control !

My passport check took, less than 10 secs and I asked," where do I go, now?!"...  The guy smiled and said ..  "choose your route red or green " - indicating the - now - blooming obvious - sign...

I chose green and there was no-one to be seen and I was back in the car park

As I got in the car the barrier raised and it was clear I was on camera- He knew where I was from by the car )

I moved 100 m and had to stop as a tractor with a snow plough was clearing metres of snow - fast and very professionally

I wish I had videoed it - but I am wary of filming at border posts )

I turned off data roaming on my RU mobile phone and ON on the UK one - as we get free roaming, now ( Thank you EU) and called Raija

She agreed that my sat navs were suggesting a good route and I she was watching my tracker device that had now switched to a Finnish network and would meet me as a I entered her town

She warned me that the snow ploughs were out and progress might be twice as slow as the sat nav suggested

The road from the border was quiet and a I passed a duty free Mall  then nothing until Laapeenranta - where I turned eastwards onto a motorway standard road - but only one carriageway  was usable, due to the depth of the snow.

I still felt a rush of relief at having left Russia and it's bureaucracy.... even  though I'd only had issues in a EU nation - Latvia (

The roads were so much better - and emptier.  I found I was able to do the digital sign limit of  60km/h with ease and soon it became 70Km/h

I passed through many Finnish towns and was struck by how well planned and tidy they were ...

At 2300 ( 0000) Russian time - I had 'lost' an hour - I arrived at the small town of Huaho and Raija was waiting to meet me at the Supermarket - as agreed...  She told me how to find her parents house - telling me hers is small and I was in THE most perfect place I'd ever been in my life ..

She showed me to my room - indicating the sauna to the left and left me to crash,  The Beers could wait til the morning

For those wondering WHO is Raija? - well this youtube video of her as 'Fernaldo Alfonso's' ( Fernando Alonso is a Formula 1 driver)  mystery lady might help ..

She was doing a Masters in Sport's Management at the Russian International Olympic University, in Sochi

Raija, 'Fernaldo' and Max were 'my surrogate' children in Sochi and I took them to Sochi Autodrom most days - during the run up to and during the Russian GP weekend

During their Graduation awards, I acted for their respective parents.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:39:46 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
Woke up - had a Sauna and the following vids are of Raija's Christmas Card town

The view of the lake from a tower:

The lake - with the pump to allow crazy bathers

In the evening, we went to the town which was the Birthplace of Sibelius ( Hameenlinna) and Raija drove... so I could have a drink !

You can see I'm in central southern Finland..north of Helsinki and the border with Russia- back to the east

Raija suggested an 'Eeppa Beer' - which turned out to be an IPA ( india Pale Ale - ah the fun of different stress on words ))

The food was great,

All one can eat salad bar, main course of Chicken with mushroom sauce and Sweet potatoes - followed by coffee, Creme brulee and sorbet ..

After Dinner we went to a fort - built when Sweden ran Finland and I saw a flag with a 100 on it ..

I was then given a lecture on Finnish history..Which will follow on the next segment ))

Finland was cool - may be a little too cool ? :)

Offline Boethius

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »
So what does Raija plan to do with a Masters in Sports Management?

Offline msmob

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 01:44:52 PM »
Good question !

Currently she's teaching Humanities and PE in her local school and I didn't want to ask ? 

May be she's happy where she is - I could understand why.

Some of her compatriots have got positions in major sporting organisations.  I don't think she lacks ambition

Offline alex330

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 02:00:35 PM »
Love me some IPA and that creme brulee looks pretty damn good....

Offline southernX

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
we have travelled  the road from st petes to vyborg  and finland several times in the car and bus its a beautifull scene along that road , especialy in spring and summer

very nice area of russia in the lakes there
SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline msmob

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 02:07:43 AM »
GRRR ... and I was travelling through it in the dark - in a blizzard ((

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1870
Total: 1881

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM