It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Dignity and Opposable Thumbs  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Dignity and Opposable Thumbs
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »
Sitting here in the airport awaiting a flight and pondering some recent posts. It made me wonder about a couple of things - and draw a conclusion or two.

Firstly, I suspect the social scientists would have a MUCH more qualified analysis, but I was thinking about the difference between man (as in mankind) and lesser animals. Of course, we learned about the development of the opposable thumb and rendering our ability to grasp things, such as tools, resulted in humans having significantly more capability than other species. The other differences seem, IMO, to be intellect, and emotions. These are the 'things' that set us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom - and they are our 'gifts.'

It is the last of these, especially, that creates such furor on RWD when difficult issues are presented, and opinions challenged. Our responses when emotion is 'tweaked' is the next topic.

In reflecting on the posts, and reminders, about civil discourse, I began to think I should have included emphasis on the construct of 'dignity' in these exchanges. Maintaining one's dignity by not allowing oneself to be drug into exchanges that are unworthy. It is also, and importantly, upholding other's dignity by not make comments that would challenge it.

Each of us is owed a measure of dignity and each of us is expected to treat others with dignity and do nothing to attempt to erode their dignity.

So what kinds of things might be interpreted as UNdignified? I see numerous comments about people touting their use of 'sarcasm' in their posts. I challenge you to find, and post, the formal definition of 'sarcasm'. Is it a positive form of interaction? Does it, in any way, directly affect (or attempt to affect) the dignity of others?

And for those who are the recipients of vitriol. Surely it is UNdignified for the other party to direct the vitriol, but does that mean you need to respond or accept their vitriol?

You see, each of us makes numerous choices. We choose to write things that are helpful to others - or not. We choose to write things that genuinely seek to achieve, and build upon, common points of understanding/belief - or not. We choose to accept and/or react to what others write - or not. We choose to participate constructively - or not.

Just a few random thoughts.

Boarding has started. See y'all in a while.

- Dan

Offline OlgaH

• Trips: No Selection
Re: Dignity and Opposable Thumbs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
Of course, we learned about the development of the opposable thumb and rendering our ability to grasp things, such as tools, resulted in humans having significantly more capability than other species. The other differences seem, IMO, to be intellect...

to distinguish a handle from a working blade   :P

Offline Blues Fairy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
I see numerous comments about people touting their use of 'sarcasm' in their posts. Is it a positive form of interaction?

Laughing at someone else is an excellent way of learning how to laugh at oneself; and questioning what seem to be the absurd beliefs of another group is a good way of recognizing the potential absurdity of many of one’s own cherished beliefs.
- Gore Vidal

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
One problem is that some people only use their opposable thumbs to push other peoples' buttons.

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 03:29:46 PM »
Maintaining one's dignity by not allowing oneself to be drug
Me no drug, mon, respect  8) ;) ;D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Gtex

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
Dear Dan, or Maybe Poor Dan;

And I mean that in the most positive manner, not sarcastic.  My heart goes out to you having to put up with all of us and the collective foolishness.   Your good argument about "not responding" is persuasive; I know because it was recently used against me.  So persuasive I am being again convinced in a new direction.  I have argued that misinformation and bad behavior deserves censure or risk misinforming those that follow.  And in respect for your efforts will attempt to formulate a new technique.  Film at 11...

Sadly, emotion still seems to most often trump intellect, perhaps it is that part closer to the animal we try to distance.  As for sarcasm... ohhhh puhhlleeeease;
it is the neighbor of ridicule.  We know that part of town, lets' not go there.  

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »
One problem is that some people only use their opposable thumbs to push other peoples' buttons.

“Calm, only be calm!”  said Karlsson-on-the-roof and pushed a big red button..."  :)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:06:54 PM by OlgaH »

Offline Ooooops

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:39:48 AM »
“Calm, only be calm!”  said Karlsson-on-the-roof and pushed a big red button..."  :)

Serenity now, serenity now!  (c)    :D :D :D   I love Seinfeld...

To think about it, thumbs are pretty useless.   The only thing they good for is holding things and hitchhiking....  Oh, and showing the sign of appreciation.   :thumbsup:

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 07:08:36 AM »
How about text messaging on our cell phones and blackberrys? Try using some other fingers instead and see what happens.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 07:49:10 AM »
Sarcasm - there are at least two types.

Men have trouble expressing closeness with other men; thus, men use personal sarcasm as a surrogate for intimacy with their men friends.  A man presumes that if he can poke fun at his friend and if his friend laughs, all is well. 

Most women do not use sarcasm because they are able to express their feelings directly.

There is the other type of sarcasm, poking fun at the government, etc.  Some RW are very good at this (e. g., my wife), and I suppose it is a skill to enable coping with difficult situations.

Offline LEGAL

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 05:13:28 PM »
Dan your post  is one of the best I have read in a long time.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:46:24 PM by LEGAL »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541494
Total Topics: 20865
Most Online Today: 2204