It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Hello from Georgia U.S.A.  (Read 19008 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Hello from Georgia U.S.A.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »

For Facetime all you need is wifi.

Learned something new today.  But I go through so many phones that I only use Android.  Thanks for the tip.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 02:45:07 AM »
Learned something new today.  But I go through so many phones that I only use Android.  Thanks for the tip.

What do you do with them?  Break them?  Lose them?  Always need the latest model, so pass the old ones on to LA's homeless?  :o

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
My thoughts about the case. First, what would put me on the guard:
1. 5 years of communication is not the red flag but anyway looks too long for an ordinary couple of pen pals. From another side, no gold digger would  keep the contacts for so long.
2. She can't afford a laptop or smartphone but in possesion of a car (or she was?). Some inconsistency.
3. "...prices go up on food 50% several times a month..." No connection with reality in this claim. Yes, FSU people like to exaggerate the hardships but not to such extent.

O.K., now touch down to the face-to-face date, random considerations:
1. She must meet Rick in Kiev airport if she is a real woman with FSU mentality. I would cut the visit if she'll find reasons why it is the complicated issue. It's not.
2. I support John in his push for summer or September visit. Yes, that would pose a problem for Rick, that would be not the optimal logistics. However, this step will be viewed as a bold one, woman will appreciate some kind of sacriface Rick is ready for her. If she is  caring and sensitive woman as Rick thinks of her.
3. In summer or September her parents will be out of her flat, so the couple can spend time together and get feeling of possible family life. The stay in hotel looks as a good idea only for the first two days. Rick is not a tourist to live in a hotel.
4. Talking about presents. If you don't want to fall in a "saviour" trap, the presents must be limited to sweets and flowers for the woman at the first date. And no restrictions to give a nice present for her daugther. It will make more effect, by the way, to build a relatioship. Smartphone, for example, would be an ideal gift for a teenager girl if she does not have one already (better to know in advance).

Belvis, spot on.

The OP should take this advice to heart.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline jone

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
What do you do with them?  Break them?  Lose them?  Always need the latest model, so pass the old ones on to LA's homeless?  :o

Nah, the government buys the homeless phones.  Can't believe it.  Went to a 99 Cent store and there is a permanent table manned by someone trying to give away a telephone to anyone who claims that they are poor.  It is an easy way for the government to keep track of where an individual is. 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »
Nah, the government buys the homeless phones.  Can't believe it.  Went to a 99 Cent store and there is a permanent table manned by someone trying to give away a telephone to anyone who claims that they are poor.  It is an easy way for the government to keep track of where an individual is.

Yea Jone, they are giving away those 99' model flip phones......
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline jone

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
Yea Jone, they are giving away those 99' model flip phones......

The ones that I saw were the ZTE Androids with 16 gigabytes on board. 

Offline LAman

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
The ones that I saw were the ZTE Androids with 16 gigabytes on board.

They had smart phones??? I have only seen the Obama flip phones. Guess now they give Trump smart phones.... ))

drsecu

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
The 5yrs of talking may make her seem legit but the lies about inflation and food prices gives some doubt, and there are other red flags.  Prices are pretty stable, fruit has been up some but Ukraine food is mostly produced in the Ukraine and the prices are pretty insulated.  Every Ukraine women I have met has smartphone (data service is very cheap).  The supply of secondary market smartphones is just like it is in the us, you can get a cheap used functioning phone everywhere.  Ukrainians would typically use a celtic keyboard (has english letters secondary) and they have 230v power, it would make more since to buy a laptop in Ukraine.  There are stores, and yardsale type sites in the Ukraine just like here.  If you wanted to get here one or the other just buy one in Ukraine and have it delivered (they have a functioning post office that works) or have her pick it up.  If you only sending emails it is more likely she is pro, she can be doing the same to 200 other guys, if a couple give a gift every now and then she as a good return on investment.  Her wanting you to visit is no indication that is not a pro, she would benefit from you being there.

Offline ML

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
  Ukrainians would typically use a celtic keyboard . . .

WOW . . . I learn something new every day!!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 05:45:38 PM »
Ukrainians would typically use a celtic keyboard (has english letters secondary)
Why on earth :o? Ancient Irish/Scot settlers :D?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:51:08 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 09:41:50 PM »
the lies about inflation and food prices gives some doubt, and there are other red flags.  Prices are pretty stable, fruit has been up some but Ukraine food is mostly produced in the Ukraine and the prices are pretty insulated. 

My wife is in Ukraine now. She says the food prices have skyrocketed in price since she was there last. He mom says the prices regularly go up. This is not surprising for a country that has been destabilized. I don't think the OP's girl is lying about food prices and inflation.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline LAman

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
My wife is in Ukraine now. She says the food prices have skyrocketed in price since she was there last. He mom says the prices regularly go up. This is not surprising for a country that has been destabilized. I don't think the OP's girl is lying about food prices and inflation.

Did you read what was actually written????

Let me quote, " prices go up on food 50% several times a month". At that rate no one in Ukraine will be eating after a few months. Yet, the restaurants all seem to be filled somehow, now that one keeps my head scratching!!!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
Did you read what was actually written????

Let me quote, " prices go up on food 50% several times a month". At that rate no one in Ukraine will be eating after a few months. Yet, the restaurants all seem to be filled somehow, now that one keeps my head scratching!!!

When you're busy and someone asks for your attention and you say "Give me a second" does it mean you are lying? Almost everyone who says "Give me a second" needs more than a second. Does anybody believe the 50% jump in food prices she talked about mean exactly a 50% increase on every item during every jump in price?

You guys are assuming she is saying ALL food goes up 50% several times a month. She did not say "all". Maybe one month, milk and bread goes up 52.4%% and then stays at that price for a year. Next month cheese, wine and sausages jump up 39.5% and stays at that price for an extended period of time. If a ball bearing factory gets bombed in East Ukraine, guess what happens to the price of ball bearings? Various factors dictate why certain foods jump in price at certain times.  All food jumping up 50% at the same time every month is as ridiculous as you're assuming she said "all" and 50% is exactly what she meant for each price increase. If I were a Ukrainian farmer and international currency is worth a lot, I'd sell my product internationally if it brought me more money. Less food for the locals, same demand means the prices will go up for them. Food prices can jump simply because the store owners think war is going to soon create a food shortage.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
Yes, some prices do rise significantly every month. Prices have been known to increase while you're waiting in line.

I think if you've waited this long, waiting to December is no big deal. But leave before New Year. Ukraine closes down from December 30 to mid January. Also, it can get a lot of snow and the economic situation means you could be walking in ankle deep snow.

I agree with Belvis, the car means something in the story doesn't add up.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »

This is interesting for me BillyB. When I was there a few a couple of months ago food & restaurant prices seemed a lot more expensive than when I was there a bit over a year earlier meeting the first girl. Then prices in restaurants seemed unbelievably cheap like 1980's prices in the UK but with today's spending power. This year though they seemed a lot closer to UK prices so not a real bargain like last year. I think the cheaper eateries were fairly full though, the more expensive ones much more sparse. I think the hyper inflation is really working its way into their economy now.

Still though my girl felt fit to order a dish on holiday despite just eating a couple of hours before hand then hardly touched it. So given the situation in Ukraine her actions surprised me.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
You are thinking like a Westerner. Ukrainians go to restaurants to try foods they would otherwise never get to try.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »
when I was there a bit over a year earlier meeting the first girl. Then prices in restaurants seemed unbelievably cheap like 1980's prices in the UK but with today's spending power. This year though they seemed a lot closer to UK prices so not a real bargain like last year.

I suppose you voted for Brexit and and haven't woken up, yet .. The GBP isn't Great, any more..

Offline BillyB

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
I agree with Belvis, the car means something in the story doesn't add up.

Unless the OP volunteers more information, I don't see a problem with the lady owning a car 4 years ago and not currently owning a smart phone.

The OP knew the lady for 5 years. She ran over a pedestrian 4 years ago killing him. She disappeared on our OP 4 years ago and reappeared 3 years ago. She may have been traumatized but it could be she spent some time in jail or another man came into her life. Killing pedestrians can be expensive which set her back financially and cost her the car and other luxury items she owned.

Based off what the OP written, I don't see why he should be cautious with her. If I were him, I'd cancel the December trip and get there earlier. They've waited long enough.

drsecu

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
The laptops with cyrillic (auto-corrected) and english letter keyboards and phones I have seen on yardsale sites seem priced about the same or cheaper there.  Cell phone plans are $1.50 per month I was told, and it was most typically for everyone under 40-50 to have one, I asked several Ukrainian girls about food prices this week and they said they were stable.  Its minimal cost to get her online to talk more, I don't think she wants to.  It could be for a genuine reason (not wanting to invest time in someone that hasn't shown an interest to visit) or it could be because she is looking for financial sponsor/s.  I'd still go (moving it sooner is a good idea b/c weather also) but I would suggest you have a backup plan.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »
The price of potatoes recently doubled. Tomatoes are 36 hryvnia a lb. Cheese is around 70 hryvnia a lb. These may not seem like much, but if you're making 5200 hryvnia a month, and half of that goes to pay utilities, it adds up.

Offline msmob

Re: Prices in Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »
Prices are going up - according to official statistics ... The consumer price index is over 15% in June 2017 http://countryeconomy.com/countries-cpi/ukraine - up 21 points on May 2017...

For references, the USA is 1.6 percent - rate falling , UK's 2.7  ( the latter self-inflicted stupidity - Brexit vote - we had a stable, strong currency and LOW inflation )  and Russia 4.4%

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Prices in Ukraine
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »
For references, the USA is 1.6 percent - rate falling , UK's 2.7  ( the latter self-inflicted stupidity - Brexit vote - we had a stable, strong currency and LOW inflation )  and Russia 4.4%

2.2% in New Zealand for the year March 2016-March 2017 (latest stats available).

Offline JayH

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »
The price of potatoes recently doubled. Tomatoes are 36 hryvnia a lb. Cheese is around 70 hryvnia a lb. These may not seem like much, but if you're making 5200 hryvnia a month, and half of that goes to pay utilities, it adds up.

Without trying to quantify specifics --prices have and are rising dramatically. It is a real and constant battle for Ukrainians having to deal with  it. So a little licence  on numbers is not out of order .

Rising prices for goods:

During the year, prices in Ukraine grew by 13.8%, and inflation increased. According to experts, this autumn oil products will rise in price, and prices will increase for other products, except for vegetables. On infographics it is evident that during the year the most expensive milk, butter, cigarettes and alcohol: on 25-28%. Experts report that cigarettes and alcohol grew in value due to the constant increase of excise taxes on them by the state, and dairy products - on the continuing decline in livestock. The prices for meat increased by 12% for the year, reports

http://www.amn.com.ua/podiyi/podorozhchannya-tovariv-chogo-chekaty-ukrayintsyam/
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline bookooc

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
Hey guys.
I haven't been able to get on the forum since my first post but for a few minutes. Like I said, I  i am working 6-7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day on this project.

To those that said just take off work regardless, 55+ year old men in high tech do not just take off in the middle of a fortune 50 company project. Ageism is a alive and well in tech, they would LOVE to replace me with a 20 something making 25% of what I make. Even though it would take 2 of them to replace my skill set, they are still cheaper than I am with my seniority.

I want to make it to retirement, but not by having to work at Ace Hardware selling paint when I get laid off. I have seen it in my company over and over. I have a target on my back. So forget the sudden long weekend.

I don't have time right now to read all the body slams and advice, but I will tomorrow if I have time and respond.

I will say a lot of wrong assumptions have been made in the couple of response I have read, and I didn't ask for any love advice or how to relate to this woman. So 90% of the comments were not requested, but I will read them and take my un-prescribed medicine like a man.

The only advice I asked for was about trying to call her. I still have that problem. Hopefully there is some useful advice on that topic.

I will also respond to the PMs as soon as I can, and thanks to those that took time to respond, no matter if you are slamming me or not.

Also, I was wrong when I said it was 5 years. It has been 3 1/2 years, and one year of that she was missing, after her accident. Not that it makes much of a difference.

Oh, and prices. She isn't "lying". She is talking about food that is grown in Ukraine, which is what frustrates her, since there is no reason for those prices to have gone up. She, like a lot of Ukrainians is frustrated with the corruption in government.
Also the percentage of price increases may be wrong, she is translating from Ukrainian to
English. In any case, I believe her.
Thanks again for your responses.

Rick

Offline Boethius

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
Without trying to quantify specifics --prices have and are rising dramatically. It is a real and constant battle for Ukrainians having to deal with  it. So a little licence  on numbers is not out of order .

I didn't say otherwise, and am back from a short trip to Kyiv.  Prices are rising, on some items, daily.  Milk products are so expensive for the average Ukrainian, those who don't have children don't even buy milk or cheese.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1862
Total: 1873

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM