It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Is Ukraine Strategically Important?  (Read 18675 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Is Ukraine Strategically Important?
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
Excellent post Jone. 

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »
While the good ole'  US of A exports all types of business and commercial activity into other countries, we have a very generous attitude towards countries coming into our lands.  Toyota; Samsung; Volkswagon; there are countless imports.   But the US maintains control over many sectors of the financials markets, both through the Dollar and through bond trading.  Still, this financial sector influence doesn't stop the Euro or European or Asian bond markets. 

Time to take off your rose colored glasses, GQ.  The greatest beneficiary of the most recent political struggles is China.  Anyone disputing that needs to take a lesson in basic international politics.  So, GQ, as you go on crying to everyone how abusive the US is, it is a two way street.  That is one of the great things about Los Angeles.  Our property values increase on an ever increasing basis due to the great influx of Chinese real estate investors.

All-in-all, GQ, your mind plays in a mud puddle and calls it an ocean.  The real world operates in exchange of trade and it is in the best interest of the US or any civilized nation to pursue that trade through civilized notions.  It is in the interest of the United States to maintain a balance of trade.  Your isolationist tendencies and that of your little band of follower(s) would have the US not only pull back on strategic development of trade partners, but allow the US to widen the trade deficit.  Or perhaps you would like to reduce the standard of (your) living to accommodate your ideas that the US should not develop foreign markets?

We had a generation that would consider the inaction of the world, right now, foolishness and history repeating itself.  Our fathers and grandfathers are rolling in their graves at the thought of allowing a new cold war to evolve without even a gesture of defiance.

While I don't believe in sending troops or military supplies to Ukraine's situation in Eastern Europe, I'm 'all in' in using every economic tool available to make Russia's life unbearable until Putin is relegated to the size of his economy, not the size of his ego.

Yes, the US has had their history of abusing countries.  I know of no powerful country that hasn't.  But if we are to freeze the economy of the world by proceeding into another cold war, then we better do it with our eyes wide open, and not because we have some forum pansy claiming that the US is interfering in other nation's affairs.

The US is the world's strongest economy.  With that moniker comes the ability to use economic might to maintain standards of civilization.  It is still our responsibility to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we aren't going to let everything be flushed down the toilet because we don't have the cajones to make a tough call on economic warfare.

The true strategic importance of US involvement in Ukraine is not the individual fight between Russia and her former vassal state.  The importance of Eastern Europe is that the US and Europe can ill afford to be caught asleep at the wheel.    We have a demonstrated foreign policy that does nothing but appeasement.  If that is to continue, we can expect more of the same challenges, not only in Ukraine but in the Middle East, South America and our own back yard.

Oh the verbosity!

I hope that didn't take you a couple of weeks to write.

Firstly, summing up your little diatribe: Translation: >>YES - we interfered with Ukraine's internal affairs and financed the regime change in hopes of expanding our economic superiority. We will do it at all cost, anywhere and anytime with no regard or remorse for any ensuing consequences. GQ is not only sexy but he's been right on the money about this all along.<<

There. Far fewer words to emphasize your underlying thought.

Secondly: Take the time to read as to WHY exactly did the Japanese and German automakers established factories IN the US before you start stubbing your silly dum-dum toe again. I assure you - it is NOT because of our generous attitude. LOL. I'm not obligated to educate you, dude.

Thirdly, I may live in Kali, but rose-colored glasses are not my shade preference. Unlike you, I don't wobble in the dark talking about things without actually understanding the meaning of a *word*, much less global economy nuances.

Lastly, China LOL...buying all the properties in California!?! Take the time to read events like the Japanese Contagion. You'll be glad you did and you won't even have to admit you heard it from me.

So next time you want to attempt another dramatic & misguided patriotic basura, at least do some reading or research so maybe you can at least pretend you actually know something. Man, I hope it didn't take you days to compose this silly 'WE ARE U-S-A' garbage.

Note: *Financial* need not have an *s* for plurality - and it's *VOLKSWAGEN*.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline jone

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »
You are right, GQ.  You are sexy.

As for what I write, at 2AM and without any edits, I may make a typo or two.  You, on the other hand, are constantly massaging your posts. 

While I disagree that the US directly interfered with the Maidan change of President.  My argument was for the need for future economic, not military warfare. 

My vision is forward thinking.  Yours appears to look backwards and dwell on things past.  Get over yourself.  The forum members that I know are rather tired of your constant single minded perspective.  Even if the US did involve itself in the removal of Yanukovich, that card was played six months ago and we are now in a different world.

I listened to your arguments then and those of Live from Ukraine.  I gave the idea of 'oil development' some credence.   But it is sheer speculation.  It is not something to build a five month diatribe that we see from you day in and day out.

Join the current conversation.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »
You are right, GQ.  You are sexy.

As for what I write, at 2AM and without any edits, I may make a typo or two.  You, on the other hand, are constantly massaging your posts. 

While I disagree that the US directly interfered with the Maidan change of President.  My argument was for the need for future economic, not military warfare. 

My vision is forward thinking.  Yours appears to look backwards and dwell on things past.  Get over yourself.  The forum members that I know are rather tired of your constant single minded perspective.  Even if the US did involve itself in the removal of Yanukovich, that card was played six months ago and we are now in a different world.

I listened to your arguments then and those of Live from Ukraine.  I gave the idea of 'oil development' some credence.   But it is sheer speculation.  It is not something to build a five month diatribe that we see from you day in and day out.

Join the current conversation.

There isn't any freaking conversation because your premise is erroneous.

For example, those automakers are not here IN the US because of our generous attitude. They are here because we 'forced' them to because we (our automakers) couldn't compete with their *labor market cost*, and our competing products were dying a very ugly death commercially. They were coming up with Celicas, 240Zs, Rabbits and Beetles; we were coming up with Pintos and Pacers.

So you see, your elementary knowledge of what actually happened illustrate your elementary understanding of what is going on.

Have you looked up the word *feminist* yet?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:05:47 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline jone

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
Why do you have to pull down the quote when the post is directly above yours?  Can't you simply respond to the previous post? 

And your resulting insults are superficial and not relative to the conversation. 

Foreign companies do business in the United States.  The fact that they do and that there is a trade deficit is reality.  You try to over think your arguments and they come across as specious.

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
There isn't any freaking conversation because your premise is erroneous.

For example, those automakers are not here IN the US because of our generous attitude. They are here because we 'forced' them to because we (our automakers) couldn't compete with their *labor market cost*, and our competing products were dying a very ugly death commercially. They were coming up with Celicas, 240Zs, Rabbits and Beetles; we were coming up with Pintos and Pacers.

So you see, your elementary knowledge of what actually happened illustrate your elementary understanding of what is going on.

Have you looked up the word *feminist* yet?

LMAO

Celicas and 240Zs. Boy, do I remember those. Love 'em.

I also remember why the Japanese manufacturing came to the USA. GQ is right that we "forced" them when we imposed those damn trade barriers. But man, that was so 1970s.

What these companies found out was American exceptionalism.

I'll explain.

In Japan's case who remembers the 1973 Toyota Celica Liftback? (AKA Japanese Mustang) Like this classic example, Japan's culture was one that was good at repetitive tasks. They managed to miniaturize the world by repetitive tasks. However, their culture would not provide an outlet for improvisation (AKA creative thinking). Enter the sloppy and stupid Americans. Right now Japan's best automotive design studios are in Kali.

For the Germans it was simple economics. They moved to states where there was virtually no health insurance, subpar education and high unemployment and built their factories. Cheap labor and no health benefits. What more can you ask for? Now, who convinced the Germans to do this? American exceptionals.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline fathertime

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »

My vision is forward thinking.  Yours appears to look backwards and dwell on things past. 

We had a generation that would consider the inaction of the world, right now, foolishness and history repeating itselfOur fathers and grandfathers are rolling in their graves at the thought of allowing a new cold war to evolve without even a gesture of defiance.

With all due respect your vision is NOT forward thinking, Mr "Student of History"  Just the post before look what you wrote all about what our 'fathers and grandfathers' rolling around in their graves would think.  Are you their spokesmen?   You are more mired in history, and the posterity of ghosts then you are the issue at hand. Nobody cares what Grandfathers in the grave would think unless you are thinking backwards!   .The issue is not another "Cold War", WWI, etc etc...that is backward thinking and not going to be useful in solving the current problem...facts on the ground are much different than they were in 1914 or 1955...so don't worry your little head, no old men are 'rolling around in their graves'.   All that said, we agree about no troops....and I don't think sanctions are going to make Russia blink....contrary to popular opinion here, they are not stupid...they knew sanctions would likely come.  I don't know if they realized just how weak and divided Europe would be.   I still contend for us it is 'all in' or gtfo......if them is the choices then it should be
easy.  If you or somebody can make the case that sanctions would work, I'd like to hear it, although I'm not seeing it yet. 
Fathertime!   

I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »
...Celicas and 240Zs. Boy, do I remember those. Love 'em..

I remember the *Supra*, only because my buddy's older brother bought one and acted like it was a damned Ferrari. It don't think it saw daylight as he mostly kept it garaged and drove his Tercel everywhere instead.

I don't know where I heard it, but a restored Datsun 240Z apparently commands way up in the 6 figures these days.

My time was when the Mazda RX5 (or maybe 6) was first released. Saw it on the pages of Playboy  :P That was a dream car for me for a long time...then sometime after, and my claim to fame, I got a (almost) brand new 1987 Limited Edition Toyota MR2 with T-Top. Slapped a piggy ski rack and took it up to Tahoe to ski the first month with my buddy. I think I was 20 and was uber-sexy then...

That was just awesome!!...and the car, too!

>:D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:01:27 PM by GQBlues »

Offline jone

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
Who said anything about sanctions?  Not me.  I could care less about sanctions.  I said economic war.  Put things in perspective.  Putin signed a ridiculously low priced agreement to sell natural gas to China. (Oh, they didn't disclose what China is paying?  Imagine that.)  What does that tell you?  He sees a time in the future where he wants to have an assured client buying what he can sell.  That means he sees a time where he believes he won't be selling to the Europeans. 

If you haven't figured your pretty little head around this and other moves he has made, then you aren't getting the big picture either.  Putin already believes he is in an economic war.   He's giving himself options in the event that the US gets its act together and begins selling natural gas and oil to the Europeans. 

I am 'All In' for an economic war with Russia.  The US should immediately be building facilities for distribution of Natural Gas to our friends in Europe.  In cooperation for such a commitment, we can then request that the Mistrals not be sold by France.  We can request that Holland not have an 80% commitment to buying natural gas from Russia.  Oh, and did I mention that such a move would narrow significantly the balance of trade?

We're sitting there playing mumblety peg with the Keystone Pipeline.  One set of serious moves by the US government to push oil through such a pipeline and natural gas depots on the East Coast and all of a sudden Europe has no problems confronting Russia in a fashion that will make Putin's head spin.  Unless, of course, he's already anticipated all of this because his plans go much further than Ukraine.

Not forward thinking, huh?  We pulled out of Russia back in February/March of this year.  We took a marginal loss to remove our assets.  People leaving only three months later experienced over an 80% greater loss than we did.  In the 7 years we had investments there, we experienced a greater than 20% ROI during those years.  That is over a 100% return, even including the cash out loss.

If some of the people on this forum would do as much as they talk then they would be political and business superstars.  I guess this is just a place for losers like me to come and vent against the world. 

Offline fathertime

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »

If you haven't figured your pretty little head around this and other moves he has made, then you aren't getting the big picture either.  Putin already believes he is in an economic war.   He's giving himself options in the event that the US gets its act together and begins selling natural gas and oil to the Europeans. 

I am 'All In' for an economic war with Russia.  The US should immediately be building facilities for distribution of Natural Gas to our friends in Europe.  In cooperation for such a commitment, we can then request that the Mistrals not be sold by France.  We can request that Holland not have an 80% commitment to buying natural gas from Russia.  Oh, and did I mention that such a move would narrow significantly the balance of trade?

We're sitting there playing mumblety peg with the Keystone Pipeline.  One set of serious moves by the US government to push oil through such a pipeline and natural gas depots on the East Coast and all of a sudden Europe has no problems confronting Russia in a fashion that will make Putin's head spin.  Unless, of course, he's already anticipated all of this because his plans go much further than Ukraine.

OBVIOUSLY Russia has China to fall back on....that is not news....and my head is not pretty! 

If you think that Economic war is the way to go, that is fine....I don't think it is at all feasible or worth it...and don't I think there is enough buy in nationally to make it happen anyway.  People generally don't think this issue is THAT important and should suddenly be a national priority.  I really question if we have the clout to push Europe into something they would probably rather not bother with.  If Europe was on board why would the United Kingdom be selling more arms to Russia today?   I can see your idea completely backfiring on us, so maybe we should just keep our powder dry.  I hold the USA should be worried more about the USA, and let the parties closer to the scene handle Ukraine or not handle it.   

Fathertime!   

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2014, 01:04:08 AM »
  You, on the other hand, are constantly massaging your posts. 

I'm with you there jone...
It appears that for some people a post isn't the only object getting constantly 'massaged'! LOL

Offline fathertime

yatsenyuk OUT: who does Nuland want to replace him?
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:15 AM »
Looks like that rada brawl  yeaterday has had some fallout for today.

Fathertime!

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
It has nothing to do with the brawl.   There have been negotiations on various undisclosed matters for weeks, and those talks collapsed.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
It has nothing to do with the brawl.   There have been negotiations on various undisclosed matters for weeks, and those talks collapsed.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-24/ukraine-coalition-government-collapses-as-2-parties-quit.html

...and what they may be, do yo know?

I'm inclined to agree with FT that this may *partially* have to do with the usual theatrics displayed during their session which isn't too comforting to their new overlords' eyes these days. For a minority party, Svodoba is certainly in the thick and middle of it all, don't they?

Offline Muzh

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-24/ukraine-coalition-government-collapses-as-2-parties-quit.html

...and what they may be, do yo know?

I'm inclined to agree with FT that this may *partially* have to do with the usual theatrics displayed during their session which isn't too comforting to their new overlords' eyes these days. For a minority party, Svodoba is certainly in the thick and middle of it all, don't they?

Heh, you say it as if something bad happened.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2014, 09:36:13 AM »
No, they obviously were not receiving what they wanted in negotiations.  I suspect that would be more cabinet clout, but that is pure speculation.

Svoboda played a key role in Euromaidan.  That is why they had so many cabinet seats.  It was also was part of this coalition.  Batkivshchyna could make a coalition with Party of Regions, or vice versa. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »

Heh, you say it as if something bad happened.

Well, sometimes *bad* is *good*. I just don't think it is so with this one. I hope it is, for the sake of everyone involved in the country.

It appears the coalition actively engaged in the Kiev protest/coup/movement/Euromaidan or what ever anyone may want to call it; are quitting.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-24/eu-floats-russian-bank-finance-ban-as-ukraine-vote-nears.html

Offline Muzh

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
Well, sometimes *bad* is *good*. I just don't think it is so with this one. I hope it is, for the sake of everyone involved in the country.

It appears the coalition actively engaged in the Kiev protest/coup/movement/Euromaidan or what ever anyone may want to call it; are quitting.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-24/eu-floats-russian-bank-finance-ban-as-ukraine-vote-nears.html

Well Sexy Man (you don't mind, do you?) I think there has been some pressure to wipe the slate clean. I believe Klitchko and Poroshenko made a deal. In addition, Poroshenko is taking advantage of the situation and trying to shed some of the dead wood (AKA Party of Region loyalist of Yanukonvict) and bring new blood to the Rada. That is what is being hoped for. Time will tell.

Anyway, just for you dude

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »

Well Sexy Man (you don't mind, do you?) I think there has been some pressure to wipe the slate clean. I believe Klitchko and Poroshenko made a deal. In addition, Poroshenko is taking advantage of the situation and trying to shed some of the dead wood (AKA Party of Region loyalist of Yanukonvict) and bring new blood to the Rada. That is what is being hoped for. Time will tell.

Anyway, just for you dude

Oh-man! That's right! I AM the Batman! LMAO...cool cat though. We have a few strays (20) in our boneyard that I've been taking care of the past year as no one else have or will...they have a new kitty same age as the pic, I call him *lil Johnny Wooly*.

Anyway, yeah I hear you. In NYT's report however, it sounds as though PM warns that any early election risks further paralyzing the government and escalate neglecting to adopt crucial amendments to the current budget, thereby further endangering civil/military salary payments. Sounds as though *he* doesn't think such an election is a good idea..dunno

Offline Muzh

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »
Oh-man! That's right! I AM the Batman! LMAO...cool cat though. We have a few strays (20) in our boneyard that I've been taking care of the past year as no one else have or will...they have a new kitty same age as the pic, I call him *lil Johnny Wooly*.

Anyway, yeah I hear you. In NYT's report however, it sounds as though PM warns that any early election risks further paralyzing the government and escalate neglecting to adopt crucial amendments to the current budget, thereby further endangering civil/military salary payments. Sounds as though *he* doesn't think such an election is a good idea..dunno

I think you are seeing a PM channeling Goldilocks.

Offline Gator

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
Bane Cat

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2014, 05:48:07 PM »
Bane Cat

Of course cats come in different breed, and quite possibly different attitude & behavior related to which State they're from. That said, Kali Cats are cool, swift and awesome just as the Kali dudes...

Sexy, too...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1893
Total: 1904

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM