It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 456436 times)

Offline IvanM07

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Hmm. Coughing,fever and headache fair to say I have it gents.

I know I've been a troll but I'll tell you the closest info possible.

I won't lie as the women around me can attest.

I'll exit unscathed)))

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Get well soon Ivan.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Nations, including Russia are creating new restrictions on a daily basis against citizens of nations in the hot zones. It's best citizens stay in or return to their home nation. It's a wild world we're living in now.

Report tells US policy makers to expect 18 months or more of the pandemic with multiple outbreaks. Folks, expect more hardship and no vaccine.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/u-virus-plan-anticipates-18-190626012.html

It's looking likely that it is too late for Russia, Ukraine & Eastern Europe to avoid it judging that cases have started to increase there too as the most recent worldwide Coronavirus map demonstrates:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic

Looks like it's spread is almost inevitable there now. They will be behind the UK and the US but whether that will remain so depends on if they can slow the spread of the virus. Likely after a month or so they will be in the thick of it also. A country like Ukraine with its economy already in a poor way is not likely to fair well. I guess if  it holds up in the FSU that more men than women pass away with it and there are enough severe cases of it then that could add to any gender imbalance, moreso in the older age groups.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BC

I haven't read any reports on that.

Just go to news.google.com and type in 'hospital supplies' in the search field.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
I thought the supply shortage was a bunch of bull but...
I Spoke to my buddy the nurse in northern California.   He said the nurses are about to riot because they don't have enough n95 masks and they are having to treat patients in isolation rooms without protection.   He said it is a near certainty he will be getting the virus and is concerned if he can survive it since he is 100 pounds overweight, with diabetes, previous heart attack, and in his 50's.   

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline msmob

I'll exit unscathed)))

Troll or not, you're young enough and will be fine !

You may yet  be VERY useful - if tested as having had the virus and ( recovered) and anti-bodies present -  to society !    ;)

Take care, Ivan

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:09:13 AM by msmob »

Offline BC

I thought the supply shortage was a bunch of bull but...
I Spoke to my buddy the nurse in northern California.   He said the nurses are about to riot because they don't have enough n95 masks and they are having to treat patients in isolation rooms without protection.   He said it is a near certainty he will be getting the virus and is concerned if he can survive it since he is 100 pounds overweight, with diabetes, previous heart attack, and in his 50's.   

Fathertime!

That is one of the issues Italy has faced.  Right now over 2,000 doctors, nurses and other staff are infected and are not able to help patients.  They also reportedly get hit harder by the virus, maybe because of the vastly increased amount of virus that they are exposed to which just guessing could overload the immune system by hitting hard fast and repeatedly.  All the ventilators in the world won't help if there is no one around that can operate them.

Also, have to remember that the normal workload of hospitals goes on.  Heart attacks and other 'normal' critical health incidents won't stop happening.  The risk is high for these otherwise normal patients getting infected at the hospital.  They become part of the most vulnerable that may end up passing from this 'complication.  China says 4 out of 5 infections were passed on by folks that did not know they had the virus.

Very very nasty stuff.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:13:22 AM by BC »

Offline fathertime

LMAO! It was a metaphor. Who buries their money in backyards these days except you?

BTW, I got one of those finger gloves in my car so I can always have one with me every time I need to press buttons when using debit card. Extra layer of protection baby!

Beautiful snowcapped mountains on the LA horizon this morning...
Oh you silly teaser!    I haven't pulled he money just yet I was too busy, but burying cash is probably safer than leaving it in a place in the house where it could catch fire.  Of course burying it also runs the risk of somebody knowing you have buried it, and coming in and taking it.  My dogs might stop them, but supermarket had no food yesterday so bowser may wind up on the dinner plate by next month. 

Fathertime! 

Offline fathertime

I was going to mention to you two cash hoarders that when your bank card doesn't work, likely the cash won't have any worth either. I had the same thought a few days ago :D
of course this sort of sentiment *Which is true* lends some credence to the people overstocking their little pantry.  If I really believed there was a risk that my goofy money wasn't going to have much, if any value down the road, I spend it all right now at the supermarket or auto supplies store, and I'd store fuel, and anything else tangible.  I'm not there yet of course, but I can see how people can convince themselves to take that route.

Fathertime!   

Offline fathertime

Well Gentlemen, I have my list of stocks that I will sell puts on. Probably 20 min before the close. When market volatility is this high, its best to write the put option. The VIX is near 80. Read up on this strategy if you are unfamiliar with it.
The average with the stocks I am writing against, is a 20% return from the premiums if the market rebounds from here, that's 20% return in 3 months.
  If the market continues to drop, I get the stocks on an average 10% below todays market value and they become long term holds. Each one I feel OK with holding

I'm still concerned about buying at this moment.   It SEEMS there is still more room to go down, a lot more room.  Verizon may be a good choice though if it falls further.

Fathertime! 

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
of course this sort of sentiment *Which is true* lends some credence to the people overstocking their little pantry.  If I really believed there was a risk that my goofy money wasn't going to have much, if any value down the road, I spend it all right now at the supermarket or auto supplies store, and I'd store fuel, and anything else tangible.  I'm not there yet of course, but I can see how people can convince themselves to take that route.

Fathertime!   

Currency is only as good as the country that printed it. Soon enough every transaction will be electronic and cash worthless. Is it here now? I wouldn't think so but in crisis such as there it could easily get there

Offline BillyB

There's a shortage in some hospitals if they get a wave of patients. There is not wave a patients. Our nation has not been hit hard. We are preparing for a hit that may never come.

I'll exit unscathed)))

You have signs of a flu, not COVID-19. Headaches are not a symptom of COVID-19. Get your free COVID-19 test anyway. Take no chances with your or other people's lives.

http://www.uab.edu/news/youcanuse/item/11179-sorting-out-symptoms-of-covid-19-influenza-colds-and-allergies
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gator

if you guys with skin in the game don't sell it by tomorrow, then you will soon have NO skin....

If you believe this, sell your gold (which has been hammered), sell your bitcoin (also hammered), sell your toilet paper, dig up your horde of cash in your backyard........... combine all of your liquid cash..... and buy SPXS (large cap 3x bear ETF).  It has doubled in 3 weeks.

You won't do this.  Why?  Because you are not an idiot.  So why do you post like a crazed idiot? 

Will you please reach inside yourself and attempt to contribute to this discussion in a reasoned manner.   

Offline Gator

Get well.   

Dry cough?  What you describe could be seasonal flu.   Did you have a flu shot?   Call your family MD.
Take some vitamins, fluids and OTC anti-inflammatory med.   Rest in self-isolation.   

Offline Maxx2

Offline fathertime

If you believe this, sell your gold (which has been hammered), 
Inaccurate.  Gold has not been hammered. Down slightly off of very high highs. 

Fathertime! 

Offline Gator

BC, 

Yes, the US healthcare system is showing signs of being stressed, and we are just now at the beginning of the epidemic curve. 

If you believe the US healthcare system response is problematic......

just wait until the financial bail-out starts.   

It will be fraught with mistakes, yet necessary. 

Offline Gator

BC and Sandro,

Please keep us informed about Italy.  Italy (not just northern Italy)  is the Western Democracy canary in the coal mine.

I hope to see more slowing of new infections in Italy.  The real clue will be deaths.   

Guidelines in US:

time from infection to hospitalization  9-12 days
            time from infection to death              3 +/- weeks   

Online Faux Pas

BC, 

Yes, the US healthcare system is showing signs of being stressed, and we are just now at the beginning of the epidemic curve. 

If you believe the US healthcare system response is problematic......

just wait until the financial bail-out starts.   

It will be fraught with mistakes, yet necessary.

IMHO every nation that is dealing with this virus crisis healthcare system is stressed and overloaded. None were prepared to treat even a relatively small portion of the entire population from an additional illness on top of what they already serve on a regular basis. Throw in a pandemic and the problems that follow and all hell breaks loose. BC seemingly has had a tone that the US healthcare system is inferior to Italy and other nations. He points to lack of testing but for me that doesn't begin to quantify his position. I do truly believe the US system is likely one of the best in the world. We won't know where in the curve we are until we're at the end of it, will we?

Offline Boethius

Headaches is a symptom of COVID-19.

typical signs and symptoms include: fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgia or arthralgia (14.8%), chills (11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%).

http://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Hope you feel better soon, Ivan.

Google was used to find the above link.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
"If you believe this, sell your gold"

I can't sell my gold, it's all buried now!!!

if you over 60, sell all your stock, in your lifetime it will be worthless
the crash that is coming will be worse than anything that's EVER happened, even the great depression

sell now, or throw it away next month

I sold EVERYTHING in July, because the underlying numbers were increasingly getting worse BACK THEN....
before the virus...

gold and silver should have fallen through the floor when oil fell, but they didn't.....
wait a year....and see how much food I can buy with a morgan or peace silver dollar or ounce of silver, vrs paper money with the people bartering food
in the USA, after this year, "bricks" of 22 rimfire ammunition will be currency

I collect Weimar period German money, guess what's coming AFTER the deflationary period
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:40:55 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Gator

Therapeutic Drugs

There is much buzz about drugs, already in human use for other indications, that could be a therapeutic measure for COVID-19:

Chloroquine:   anti-malarial drug being tested in various locations with somewhat promising prelim results
             Combination of HIV drugs: different combos are being tested, and yesterday's news reported the trials in China failed for one made by Abbvie.   
             Remdesivir:  antiviral produced by Gilead.  Being tested at breakneck speeds on COVID patients in various locations.  Deemed by WHO to hold the best promise of efficacy, yet it failed in earlier ebola tests.  . 

In addition, some other existing drugs are being considered such as for rheumatoid arthritis (an autoimmune condition). 

If scientists find an effective therapeutic drug, the world will celebrate indeed.   That is more likely than Krimster's scenario. 

Online krimster2

• He/Him
ivan that which does not kill you makes you stronger....

so...
if true, most important thing, keep everyone away from you...
especially grandma....

and don't worry
we're all gonna get it sooner or later, EVERYONE

but...
Flu will totally prank a gazillion people into thinking they have covid

Online krimster2

• He/Him
Gator...
you had a good life, we all did...

just accept what's coming...
because it's all you're gonna be left with...
be brave for your family

I already went into the forest and cried for almost 20 minutes
so my family wouldn't see me....
because I KNOW EXACTLY what's coming...
for my family, I have to be RAMBO, and RAMBO sheds not a tear....in front of others...
it's how the survivors will remember us, our stoicism in the face of death

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:00:53 AM by krimster2 »

Online krimster2

• He/Him
the virus is gonna be BAD...

http://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/us-coronavirus-case-updates-thursday/index.html

zoom in for the final closeup of Howdy Doody...
"goodby kids!"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:40:51 AM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541451
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1776
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 1782
Total: 1789

+-Recent Posts

Re: Trippin in St Pete by krimster2
Today at 12:26:08 PM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Today at 07:34:19 AM

Trippin in St Pete by 2tallbill
Today at 06:20:16 AM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:03:56 AM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:01:18 AM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 01:53:18 PM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:57:05 AM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:55:23 AM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:11:31 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:44:27 AM