It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Why Cyprus is a GREAT place to go with a FSU partner  (Read 10752 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Why Cyprus is a GREAT place to go with a FSU partner
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »
I lived on this island for nearly 10 years.

It is divided on ethnic grounds - no thanks to the Brits divide and rule policy - to keep their military bases ( amid calls for independence)  AND Kissinger's interference in '74 - persuading the Greek Junta to try to overthrow the govt of Archbishop Makarios ( 'Commie in a Cassock') and ended up with Turkey moving in ( Peace movement / invasion - depending on your ethnicity)

I lived in Limassol - on the 'strip' and haven't been there for 10 years

I learnt my 'Russian', there - as much former Soviet apparatchik 'loot' ended up there in the early nineties - during the break up of the USSR. I provided Satellite TV for Brits/ Irish and - later FSU folk

SC has never been there and as our apts were rented out in Sochi - it was the perfect opportunity to look up old friends and see what had changed

Limassol is THE place to live if you need to work -but want to be near the sea. The only downside being the grey sand

As SC and I walked among the eucalyptus trees forming a barrier from the road noise to the beach - every other person spoke Russian rather than being a 'Greek' Cypriot

The menus in restaurants are in Greek, English and Russian  and even shop assistants know Russian - as many are 'Pontian' ( Black Sea ) Greeks who were invited to settle at the time of the break up of the USSR

Then we went over to the 'dark side' - as the Greeks and Turks respectively call each other's side - the north - which is an officially ( UN Sec Council vote ) an unrecognised state.. 'TRNC' - Turkish Republic of northern Cyprus ( only recognised by Turkey )

FSU folk can enter via the Republic - Russians just apply online and print off their visa - and can cross to the north - but as the north is unrecognised one CAN fly there - but only via Turkey and your FSU partner won't be allowed to cross to the south ( 'illegal port of entry') - unless you are married ...

The peoples' may not ( think)  they are able to live side by side  - but are friendly, everywhere.

Post Crimea 2014 - I have noted more RU speakers in the north - which is more unspolit - if you know where to look

It's a great place to get married - as there is easy access to most embassies - need to get a letter to prove one is free to marry and the Brits just need to swear an affidavit

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:35:34 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

Well, having enjoyed the break, SC is still out there - trying to help sell the house for our friends - showing folks around

T'other morning as we chatted on SKYPE  - I was still in bed and SC was sunbathing - we heard a row - screaming - lots of shouting - eventually
Police Sirens and then gun shots ?

Turns out the Landlord of a place nearby was 'giving it the beans' - but with the wife of his tenant - and the husband turned up ( unexpectedly ) and caught them at it ...

There ensured a 'Crime of passion' as the furious husband - apparently' made his wife stab the lover ( the landlord) and the neighbours attacked the attackers ..got it ?

The Police arrived and fired into the air to disperse the revengeful neighbours..

SC ?  She just carried on sunbathing ....

I found this from an Azerbaijan ) newspaper.

http://vesti.az/news/357027

The house is still on the market in this quieter neighbourhood - if any one is interested .....

Offline DaveNY

Well, having enjoyed the break, SC is still out there - trying to help sell the house for our friends - showing folks around

T'other morning as we chatted on SKYPE  - I was still in bed and SC was sunbathing - we heard a row - screaming - lots of shouting - eventually
Police Sirens and then gun shots ?

Turns out the Landlord of a place nearby was 'giving it the beans' - but with the wife of his tenant - and the husband turned up ( unexpectedly ) and caught them at it ...

There ensured a 'Crime of passion' as the furious husband - apparently' made his wife stab the lover ( the landlord) and the neighbours attacked the attackers ..got it ?

The Police arrived and fired into the air to disperse the revengeful neighbours..

SC ?  She just carried on sunbathing ....

I found this from an Azerbaijan ) newspaper.

http://vesti.az/news/357027

The house is still on the market in this quieter neighbourhood - if any one is interested .....

More an honor killing than a crime of passion. Northern Cyprus is Turkish controlled and the husband Мехмет (Turkish version of Mohammed) told the wife, Мерьем (Mariam), to kill her lover because he had taken her 'honor'.

Given the Turkish names, especially the fact that the husband's name is Mohammed, it's reasonable to assume they're Muslim and infidelity is deeply frowned upon in the Muslim world and is typically punished by death. Would the husband have killed the wife if the neighbors and police hadn't arrived? 

Always wanted to visit Cyprus it is reported to have a great climate and is very popular with Russians especially the Russians with lots of money to launder invest.

Offline msmob

More an honor killing than a crime of passion.

Hence the inverted commas around 'crime of passion'  ;)

The 'north' part of Cyprus was relatively deserted as the Turkish Cypriots left - mainly for the UK - and Anatolian Turks were 'imported'

The Turkish Cypriots are very laid back about religion and aren't renowned for such behaviour ..

Offline msmob

Re: Why Cyprus is a GREAT place to go with a FSU partner
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:50:57 AM »
What a complex island this is

First, Police forces:

UN civilian police

UN military police

Turkish army Military Police

Cypriot National Guard Military Police

British Army Military Police

Turkish Cypriot Police

Republic of Cyprus Police

Sovereign Area Base Police ( Brits )

May be the Royal Air Force have police ?

We drove from Kyrenia ( Girne ) in the north to the 'south' Republic of Cyprus in the north registered car, got road tax and and insurance and visited the biggest mall on he island and then off to what I consider the most beautiful beach...  nr Ayia Napa - Makronissos Beach.

This is in the SE corner of the island and was - 20 years ago the preserve of Scandanavians and Brits. Now the FSU folk have discovered it! I would guess 20 percent of the voices were Russian speakers

It is a horse-shoe bay and we found a cove - only 2 sunbeds and an umbrella could fit the tiny beach

Our 'cove' is the last blue umbrella you can see before the boats

http://www.goo.gl/images/Dej2YG

SC even works out on the sunbed ...

We headed back to the 'north' ( Turkish sector) via the British listening posts near Famagusta - once the world's richest city in the 1500's and ate at a fantastic fish restaurant by the sea for less than 10 USD / head - three courses. The bay is one of the closed posts to Syria - Damascus being 100 miles away

Another world

The island has Hellenic, Ottoman, Venetian, Genoan, British - and many more influences

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 01:02:49 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:52:20 PM »
Larnaca

Mackenzie Beach is RIGHT next to the beginning of the runway and we had two 20-something, pretty lasses to the right, 3 making asses of themselves to the left and 2 families behind us - with two Cypriot lads trying to speak Russian to them ;)

It was really interesting to watch the planes on Flightradar24, then see them on finals

Madam - not interested ;)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:36:28 AM by msmob »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:32:00 AM »
Looks like a bit of a bum deal to me Mobe.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 04:25:32 AM »
Due to the potential for unrest in Turkey - Elections coming up - the Turkish Lira has BOMBED ..  It is a great time to buy something in T Lira (Tl)

In the north of the island they use the Tl - as they receive subsidies for their non recognised state - other than by Turkey - in Tl

They are thinking of moving to  the Euro - as the Lira has lost 50 % against most currencies - not sure Turkey will 'allow' that - but one guru warned me of this fall and was bang on

Crossing from N-S everything suddenly seems expensive - those property has been priced in GBP - for years - to counter the Tl problem

I was on a Greek island off Turkey the night Greece could have crashed out of Euroland ( July 2015) so may be my presence will stop this drastic move, too ;)

Where can you buy a four bed house ( 2 with en-suite bathrooms ) with a pool and large gardens for £150k ?

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 04:38:42 AM »
Cyprus is a great place
English is commonly spoken there
a lot of British ex-pats
surprised you could even ski there! 
beaches are great and so is the water
pretty safe
but I wouldn't go there to hunt
seriously guys, Ukrainian villages...

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 04:44:15 AM »
"skata" I've never been on the Turkish side
with all that's going on, not sure I'd want to be in the middle of it
there's always a "catch" when you buy cheap property isn't there
if you want "sunny" maybe Spain
I was surprised at how inexpensive property is in UK now
I'm thinking of something out in the country
and start living part-time

Offline msmob

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 05:34:00 AM »
You could buy  Trench's palace. ..

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 05:30:19 AM »
How long ago was your wedding and was it in the Greek or Turkish part of the island

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 06:03:16 AM »
How long ago was your wedding and was it in the Greek or Turkish part of the island

It was 2007, Limassol.

Back then you even needed to have a letter from the Mayor...no longer ))

I will ask about a Church...as opposed to civil wedding for you.

Sadly, we are about to divorce... although we have been apart since 2012...We lived together for six months before hand as I was Cyprus resident.

Getting divorced in the UK has been a pain as the Greek part of the Marriage Cert had to be 'approved' by a UK solicitor and the UK legalisation dept before the petition could go ahead ))

We didn't rush into things, but it didn't work out.

I have been with another RU lady five years..who has been very patient......

I hold dual nationality... UK and IRL.. but am passionately anti Brexit ...hence the flag change to IRL and wanting to remain an EU citizen...far less issues with a non EU partner in a third EU nation

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:06:23 AM by msmob »

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about second divorce.  My first and only UK divorce took from me figuring out about the other guy in 2010 to the end of 2014.  Total waste of time money and life.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 06:13:51 AM »
Looking back what were the red flags for you..  My ex was way to interested in other guys right from when I met her we were together 20 years but she just got more and more careless about covering her tracks.  I'm now way more experienced but I could always get it wrong again.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 06:17:50 AM »
So now I'm interested in wedding countries based on ease of organisation and likelihood of  British immigration liking the paperwork.  My g f is very orthodox and would like a church blessing after a civil service. 

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 06:25:36 AM »
I really can't bothered getting a UK fiance visa as I just hate the beaurocracy and rude putdowns they sent to a belarus g f who was trying to get a visitor visa to attend a friends wedding in the UK.  Basically immigration sent a letter to a belarus lawyer who was leaving a child behind for a week to attend a friend of ours wedding a prostitute who would not return to belarus.  Our relationship never recovered from that.  Even though we went to Spain on holiday afterwards.

Offline msmob

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »
Looking back what were the red flags for you..  My ex was way to interested in other guys right from when I met her we were together 20 years but she just got more and more careless about covering her tracks.  I'm now way more experienced but I could always get it wrong again.

There was no one else involved on either side...no red flags...just a series of extreme events that we did not endure...

As it happens.. I thought I could never love another...

That feeling lasted about 18 months...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1986
Total: 1995

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM