It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Brief Introduction  (Read 15708 times)

Offline Intrepid Traveler

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Brief Introduction
« on: February 28, 2021, 07:45:51 PM »
Since everyone is warm and welcoming and a moderator has accommodated my request to fix my name (I had a lowercase "i" as the first letter in Intrepid), I thought I should be neighborly and introduce myself.

Quick Background

I am a single male in my late 50s. I have no kids and, aside from work, no real obligations.

Although I have a technical background, I enjoy communications. I took a course two years ago that provides me with credentials to teach English as a second language. Prior to taking the course, I have helped dozens of people from lesser developed countries on the internet with some of their important correspondence, most often university entrance letters. Most of the people that I helped were women from FSU countries. Over that time, I have developed a few permanent friendships but nothing romantic.

Plans

I would like to go to Saint Petersburg to learn Russian for a year. While attending classes, I would like to find a special person to share my life with. When I read about Saint Petersburg, it seems that men are in demand. Of course, I am sure that depends upon the guy. I am reasonable looking and in reasonable shape.

Why learn Russian? It gives me an additional reason to stay in Saint Petersburg for an extended period. I would like to immerse myself in its history and culture. And if I meet someone special, it gives both of us an opportunity to see each other over a longer period to help ensure that we're a good fit for each other.

What steps am I actively doing to move to Russia for year or meet someone special. The honest answer is nothing. That is why I plan to be in lurking mode for a while.

Until COVID-19 is over and my finances are in strong shape again, I am not making any definitive plans. And because I am not making any definitive plans, there is no point initiating contact with women.

I already have an outstanding offer from one of my former "students," who is an attractive doctor in her late 30s in Moscow. She implores me to come and visit, so I also plan on visiting her when I do make my way to Russia.

Women

I am not big on a lot of correspondence with women prior to meeting them face-to-face. Emails, Skype, or whatever might go very well, and then when you meet, not so well. So I would prefer to either set something up and let her know I am coming soon or just meet women when I am there.

My doctor friend always flirts with me, and we laugh a lot together when we have our Skype calls. We often chat for a couple hours at a time, and we usually chat every two or three months. Even though we get along great, we do see some things in life differently. And because she has lived and studied in Europe, she does not have much interest in traveling to a different country to live there. She is a Muscovite and wants to remain so. That said, she will remain one of my closer friends and will always have a place in my heart.

How Serious am I?

Going to Russia has been a dream for a while. Although my desire is there, until I actually make physical moves, I have not done anything substantive. We all know people who talk a great game but never deliver. So until I am ready to put my plans into action, I am not that serious.

So I hope to learn from others so that I can avoid some pitfalls and make faster progress when I do get moving.

Regarding my name "Intrepid Traveler," that, too, is aspirational. If everything comes together as hoped, I can be a nomad if I so choose.

I hope you enjoyed this introduction.

One last comment: even though I enjoy communications, I often skip words when writing quickly. I apologize in advance for any further typos.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:21:30 PM by Intrepid Traveler »

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Brief Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 08:14:54 PM »
You have the perfect plan, follow it!
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 10:32:00 PM »

+1

Nothing to add here but, Russia is a great country. I am currently considering to locating there with my Russian wife after retiring in a couple of years. I have been many times (16 times if my math is correct) and the direction the US is currently going, I think it might be a good decision. I love St. Pete and if you're prepared, you will too. We've all got to be some place and the world isn't the same as it was when I started this path. 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 12:14:30 AM »
I would like to go to Saint Petersburg to learn Russian for a year. While attending classes, I would like to find a special person to share my life with. When I read about Saint Petersburg, it seems that men are in demand. Of course, I am sure that depends upon the guy. I am reasonable looking and in reasonable shape.

St. Petersburg was my favorite city to visit in Russia. I'm not sure Russia is going to want you for a year straight though. Depending on your visa, you may have to leave Russia after so many days or months.

There's so many things to learn in life, a new language is not on my list. Many of the girls over there will judge you on other factors. Some men come here and lack social skills and think learning a language will help them. I recommend they communicate with and date as many girls locally to improve their social skills first if they want to be successful with the ladies.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 02:42:50 AM »
Good plan, go for it. And do not let people scare you about how bad Russian politics are.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 03:51:43 AM »

St. Petersburg was my favorite city to visit in Russia. I'm not sure Russia is going to want you for a year straight though. Depending on your visa, you may have to leave Russia after so many days or months.

There's so many things to learn in life, a new language is not on my list. Many of the girls over there will judge you on other factors. Some men come here and lack social skills and think learning a language will help them. I recommend they communicate with and date as many girls locally to improve their social skills first if they want to be successful with the ladies.

Billy is right, but if you can combine both, language and social skills you are a winner...
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »

It is more of a dream than a plan. IT said he is 'not that serious yet'
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline LAman

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 08:13:47 AM »

It would be minimum of one day to reset 6 months. My friend in Moscow has been in Russia for 6 years now. He got an education visa so didn't have to leave!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:10 AM »

Thank you for the ringing endorsement. I hope my plan comes to fruition.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 11:05:46 AM »
+1

Nothing to add here but, Russia is a great country. I am currently considering to locating there with my Russian wife after retiring in a couple of years. I have been many times (16 times if my math is correct) and the direction the US is currently going, I think it might be a good decision. I love St. Pete and if you're prepared, you will too. We've all got to be some place and the world isn't the same as it was when I started this path.

The world certainly is changing, isn't it? And wow, sixteen times. You must consider Saint Petersburg a second home already. At the gym, I know some retired folks who chose to reside in Central America for several years. But they came back to Canada because of health care considerations. What are your thoughts concerning health care?

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »

Great comments, BillyB.

When I looked a year or two ago, it was possible for Canadians to get a one-year, multiple-entry visa. The person had to fulfill certain criteria, though. When I looked at some of the language schools, it seemed that most mentioned renewable three-month visas. If I were unable to get a one-year visa, then I would have to make a trip to one of the Baltic countries or somewhere else every ninety days. It's not a showstopper.

Learning Russian is not on on everyone's to-do list. I enjoy learning learning new things. While good with numbers and logic, I also know that I am slower than average in learning languages. To compensate, I plan on having one-on-one instruction so that I can move along at a comfortable pace. I also have the luxury of not needing to achieve a certain level by a certain date.

I understand and agree completely that those who lack social skills will still find life challenging in Russia. While no Casanova, I am not your stereotypical, shy introvert, though I am an introvert. I am comfortable talking to and being with women. Once you get to know women, regardless of how beautiful they are, you find that they are just people with their own challenges, just like the rest of us. Once I get beyond the second or third date, things tend to progress smoothly. And even the first couple of dates usually go well, too. I find those the most challenging because I am trying to read the other person while making sure I am providing a positive impression. Once some of the uncertainty is removed, the situation becomes easier.

I used to work in a northern location that was heavily dominated by men. So I may not be as practiced as others who have more experience. But I am comfortable that I will be to navigate around potential relationships. That said, one can always improve, regardless of how skilled or experienced.

I also plan to be busy in Saint Petersburg immersing myself in cultural activities. And I might even tutor one or two people in English. So I am sure that I will come across many women.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 11:42:03 AM »
The world certainly is changing, isn't it? And wow, sixteen times. You must consider Saint Petersburg a second home already. At the gym, I know some retired folks who chose to reside in Central America for several years. But they came back to Canada because of health care considerations. What are your thoughts concerning health care?

I've only been to St Pete once. Spent almost 2 weeks that time and loved it. I do plan on going back for another visit sometime. Health care in Russia sucks, to put it plainly and simply. That said, money takes care of all problems healthcare wise in Russia. The care is available at a price. That may or may not be a deal breaker for us in the future

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 11:43:13 AM »
Good plan, go for it. And do not let people scare you about how bad Russian politics are.

I plan to steer clear of politics. I know from my Russian-doctor friend, that the political situation is not great and that many are unhappy.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 11:44:59 AM »
I plan to steer clear of politics. I know from my Russian-doctor friend, that the political situation is not great and that many are unhappy.
That has been true for the last 200 years. :P
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »

Billy is right, but if you can combine both, language and social skills you are a winner...

While I might not be a winner, I hope learning Russian increases my odds of finding a great partner. Even if it doesn't, I am sure I will enjoy the process.

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 11:48:47 AM »

It is more of a dream than a plan. IT said he is 'not that serious yet'

You're correct. I tend not to suffer fools gladly, and I am cautious about those who talk a great game but don't deliver.

Until I taken meaningful steps, it is a dream. By meaningful steps, I mean that there is a serious commitment of time and money. Until then, this is a dream.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 11:56:09 AM »
That has been true for the last 200 years. :P
And perhaps even longer.

For those that might be interested, Robert K. Massie wrote Nicholas and Alexandra, Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, Peter the Great: His Life and World, The Romanovs: The Final Chapter. I thoroughly enjoyed his books because they were fun to read while providing an historical understanding of the country's recent developments.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 11:57:55 AM »

It would be minimum of one day to reset 6 months. My friend in Moscow has been in Russia for 6 years now. He got an education visa so didn't have to leave!!!

Yes, I am sure that there are ways around the visa issue.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 12:02:20 PM »
I've only been to St Pete once. Spent almost 2 weeks that time and loved it. I do plan on going back for another visit sometime. Health care in Russia sucks, to put it plainly and simply. That said, money takes care of all problems healthcare wise in Russia. The care is available at a price. That may or may not be a deal breaker for us in the future
Some advice that is given to Canadians is to buy health insurance from a Canadian bank. The four or five large Canadian banks tend dominate everything financial in Canada. And if we do not require to US heath care, then the cost of insurance goes down considerably, perhaps as much as 40 percent. If a Canadian is happy with the health care in Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries, then perhaps not having access to US health care could reduce the cost.

It's another item I need to investigate further.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »
Some advice that is given to Canadians is to buy health insurance from a Canadian bank. The four or five large Canadian banks tend dominate everything financial in Canada. And if we do not require to US heath care, then the cost of insurance goes down considerably, perhaps as much as 40 percent. If a Canadian is happy with the health care in Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries, then perhaps not having access to US health care could reduce the cost.

It's another item I need to investigate further.

Good insurance may or may not be the answer. I suspect that depends on exactly where you happen to be and when you happened to require excellent healthcare. I do know that concerning healthcare in Russia cash on the barrel can be helpful. Again depending on when and where you are. Standard HC in Russia can kill you. The promise of payment from an insurance company might be as bad. I personally do not know as I've never needed to test it. I have some first hand experience through some members of my wife's family but of course they are Russian. There are health insurance companies in Russia that might prove a better option. I will be looking closer at this in the future though. For your visit I would suggest a good insurance company and make sure they will pay for expenses out of country and Russia specifically. Just in case have a medical slush fund in case you need it

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Brief Introduction
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
Here is my generic advice for Newbies

WARNING FOR ALL NEWBIES GOOD STUFF FOR ALL TO READ BELOW

My first piece of advice is to do a ton of research, read until your eyes bleed.
Here are some good places to start.

1. Read the Ten Commandments
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=1740.0

2. Read the thread Pursuing FSUW 101
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=14615.0

3. Read the Free EBook
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=47

4. Read all the trip reports you can. You can find mine here
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=3432.0

Second piece of advice
As you read you will have questions, you can either use the search function or
you can come back here to this thread and ask them. When you ask questions
you will get a lot of free advice. Some of this advice will be excellent, some will
be good and some will be more dubious.

Your job is to NOT GET OFFENDED and sift through the advice using what would
be helpful for you, your goals, your personality and your situation and then ignore
the rest. You are relatively anonymous here (my advice is to keep it that way) and
nobody knows anything about you except what you write here.

Udachi! (that means good luck in Russian)

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »
 :welcome: IT

I suggest preparation is the best thing you can do for the moment. Travel is still going to be difficult and probably unwise for the next few months till enough of the vaccine gets around. Until then try learning the language through self learning methods, check out the thread Camera Guy has started for suggestions on resources for that. Like yourself I'm not great at picking up on learning a language so breaking the back off it by learning a little bit before you go will help you to avoid struggling in class while there. It should also make travelling easier and feeling more comfortable there as although a fair number around St. Pete' s will be able to speak English not all will and some things will be easier knowing a little basic Russian.

If you can get into teaching English over there then you will have a source of income as well. Otherwise you'll need a fair amount of savings and/or an independent source of income. For most Russian women a guy who can provide is off importance so that can be a bigger pull than knowing the language as it's the way society is geared up that way over there these days. I think that you have read up on Russian history is good as it gives you a good context about the country and no doubt gave even more interest in it. Keep us in touch with your progress :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 07:15:02 PM »
Good insurance may or may not be the answer. I suspect that depends on exactly where you happen to be and when you happened to require excellent healthcare. I do know that concerning healthcare in Russia cash on the barrel can be helpful. Again depending on when and where you are. Standard HC in Russia can kill you. The promise of payment from an insurance company might be as bad. I personally do not know as I've never needed to test it. I have some first hand experience through some members of my wife's family but of course they are Russian. There are health insurance companies in Russia that might prove a better option. I will be looking closer at this in the future though. For your visit I would suggest a good insurance company and make sure they will pay for expenses out of country and Russia specifically. Just in case have a medical slush fund in case you need it

A friend from the gym who used to live in Central America as a retiree until he came back to Canada because of easier access to health care suggested the following: if you plan on living abroad in a country where you don't like or trust its medical system or services, arrange with a air ambulance company in advance of getting sick. You don't want to be negotiating when you have other pressing concerns.

I agree that more work is required for addressing medical insurance. I am more inclined to use a Canadian or American insurance company that provides international health insurance. This is a to-do item.

Thank you for your comment.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 07:26:46 PM »
A friend from the gym who used to live in Central America as a retiree until he came back to Canada because of easier access to health care suggested the following: if you plan on living abroad in a country where you don't like or trust its medical system or services, arrange with a air ambulance company in advance of getting sick. You don't want to be negotiating when you have other pressing concerns.

I agree that more work is required for addressing medical insurance. I am more inclined to use a Canadian or American insurance company that provides international health insurance. This is a to-do item.

Thank you for your comment.

In St Pete it may not be as big of an issue but the bigger question is where you are when you need healthcare, will they accept the insurance? I've always had insurance when traveling abroad but I also quietly questioned that if something happened to me health wise would they actually pay.

I had to file on some travel insurance once. I called them at the time of the incident, they told me to pay and I would get reimbursed. Needless to say it didn't quite work out that way

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
Here is my generic advice for Newbies

WARNING FOR ALL NEWBIES GOOD STUFF FOR ALL TO READ BELOW

My first piece of advice is to do a ton of research, read until your eyes bleed.
Here are some good places to start.

<snip>

Thank you for your post, Bill. I look forward to reading your trip report.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1897
Total: 1908

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM