It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Latvia Removes Installation of 'Crucified' Putin  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Latvia Removes Installation of 'Crucified' Putin
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
Authorities in Latvia have dismantled an art installation featuring a lookalike of President Vladimir Putin being crucified after complaints from the Russian Embassy, a news report said.

The open-air installation, which appeared earlier this month close to the former headquarters of the KGB in Riga, drew indignation from the Russian Embassy in the Latvian capital, which said in a Facebook post that it had sent a protest note to Latvia's Interior Ministry.

The statue showed a man with a close likeness to Putin suspended on a cross and wearing a crown of thorns, while passersby were encouraged to drive nails into it, RFE/RL reported Wednesday

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/latvia-removes-installation-of-crucified-putin/521973.html

Here is a photo of the statue:

What are your thoughts?

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Latvia Removes Installation of 'Crucified' Putin
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:20:30 PM »
I think that effigy needs a mink coat.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Steamer

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/latvia-removes-installation-of-crucified-putin/521973.html

Here is a photo of the statue:

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are if you can dish it out you'll be expected to take it.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

lordtiberius

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
These Balts online preach European values, blah, balh, blah.  I am not a European, but you that are, don't you have this thing called Freedom of Speech?

Offline fathertime

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »
These Balts online preach European values, blah, balh, blah.  I am not a European, but you that are, don't you have this thing called Freedom of Speech?

Imagine the uproar if we had a similar display in a public square of Obama hanging from a tree, or crucified.  It would be torn down, and people would probable be prosecuted for something or another....or maybe more riots!    Obviously there are limitations to freedom of speech.

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

lordtiberius

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »

Imagine the uproar if we had a similar display in a public square of Obama hanging from a tree, or crucified.  It would be torn down, and people would probable be prosecuted for something or another....or maybe more riots!    Obviously there are limitations to freedom of speech.

Fathertime!   

Well, touche . . . with all rights come responsibility

Offline sleepycat

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:25:41 AM »
The dummy figure is of a normal physique and not the physique of a dwarf, therefore how can the Kremlin say it represents huilo? 
:cluebat:

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »

Imagine the uproar if we had a similar display in a public square of Obama hanging from a tree, or crucified. 

Fathertime!   

Personally, I believe that would be a matter for celebration in many places.  ;)

Ask Ant.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 06:36:46 AM »

Fathertime!   

That would fall under hate crime.

lordtiberius

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:27:58 AM »

Personally, I believe that would be a matter for celebration in many places.  ;)

Ask Ant.

I am not offended.  Its free speech.  Are you afraid of speech?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »

Fathertime!   

U.S. presidents are burned in effigy routinely, including in Russia.  Recently, in Crimea, Obama and most Ukrainian politicians were burned in effigy.  A Russian state sponsored "celebration" in Crimea with Ukrainian tanks and strong Nazi symbolism did not provoke a response from Ukraine's embassy.  Obama has also been used as a target for archery practice in Russia.  No outrage, AFAIK, and certainly no complaints from the American embassy.  But I am not surprised an authoritarian country which controls a great deal of the media emanating from within its borders would complain.  Evidence of an immature democracy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:19:31 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »

You think? So what's changed?

Media Didn't Care About Protest Signs Threatening Bush 

See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/08/20/media-didnt-care-about-protest-signs-threatening-bush#sthash.Dvjepb9t.dpuf

Effigies have been hung, burned, crucified, shot, beheaded or otherwise depicted gross bodily harm to living individuals for centuries. 

I'm not sure what the artist was trying to convey with his depiction of Mr. Putin on a cross but my historical (as opposed to the biblical) understanding of crucifixion is one of unjust persecution and/or sacrifice for one's beliefs. Is it possible what the artist was trying to convey is not hatred but sympathy towards Mr. Putin?

U.S. presidents are burned in effigy routinely, including in Russia.  Recently, in Crimea, Obama and most Ukrainian politicians were burned in effigy.  A Russian state sponsored "celebration" in Crimea with Ukrainian tanks and strong Nazi symbolism did not provoke a response from Ukraine's embassy.  Obama has also been used as a target for archery practice in Russia.  No outrage, AFAIK, and certainly no complaints from the American embassy.  But I am not surprised an authoritarian country which controls a great deal of the media emanating from within its borders would complain.  Evidence of an immature democracy.

They do seem to whinge a lot over insignificant matters. By making the complaint the Russians have drawn more attention to the depiction than it ever would have got if they'd ignored it.

Brass

...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline jone

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
Someone spent good money on that suit.  I wonder if its still usable?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »
Someone spent good money on that suit.  I wonder if its still usable?

LMAO. :D

Brass

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 06:40:28 AM »
I'm not sure what the artist was trying to convey with his depiction of Mr. Putin on a cross but my historical (as opposed to the biblical) understanding of crucifixion is one of unjust persecution and/or sacrifice for one's beliefs.

No, Brass, it's not.  It has been used for thousands of years, and is still, for example, a recognised form of punishment in the United Arab Emirates (although I imagine there would be an outcry of monumental proportions were it ever to be applied).  For more (fortify yourself first), see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

There's a fairly graphic sequence in Robert Fabbri's fictionalised biography of Vespasian about how the future Emperor's older brother crucified a young member of a gang of rustlers that they caught stealing their cattle.

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
No, Brass, it's not.  It has been used for thousands of years, and is still, for example, a recognised form of punishment in the United Arab Emirates (although I imagine there would be an outcry of monumental proportions were it ever to be applied).  For more (fortify yourself first), see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

There's a fairly graphic sequence in Robert Fabbri's fictionalised biography of Vespasian about how the future Emperor's older brother crucified a young member of a gang of rustlers that they caught stealing their cattle.

I did not know this, Kiwi. Thanks for the edification. :)

Brass

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
And here is the FSU connection:

excerpt
"It has been reported that crucifixion was used in several cases against the German civil population of East Prussia when it was occupied by Soviet forces at the end of the Second World War."[95]

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1895
Total: 1906

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM