It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Propaganda War  (Read 407999 times)

Offline Doll

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: The Propaganda War
« Reply #925 on: September 26, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »
Herr Putler is consolidating the zombies.

Russia Steps Up New Law to Control Foreign Internet Companies

And this coming from the epicenter of world-wide hacking.
Heh, another Russian "industry" that Putler has deep-sixed.

OMG!
Hahaaaaaaaaaaa
You forgot Edward Snowden!
You, Americans, have always being watched.
Go, read what he (Snowden) said.
Difference is- Putin openly says about control, you are told that you have "freedoms".

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:58:04 AM by Doll »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #926 on: September 26, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
It is not about being watched.  It is about blocking sites that do not register, and store information in Russia.

I don't think Edward Snowden needed to tell anyone with a brain that government monitors internet traffic.  The Russian government currently is no different.  It, like Israel, pays individuals to post on comments sections in newspapers, in a futile attempt to "guide" opinion.  However, the U.S. does not block sites from other countries, just because that site is not registered in the U.S., or stores data in the U.S.  That is the difference.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Doll

« Reply #927 on: September 26, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »
Boe, the US 'internet" does same- quite often I can't get to some Russian sources. They just don't say it openly here.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #928 on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »
I've never had any issue opening any site from Canada or, when travelling in the US, in America.  Sometimes, Russian sites are blocked as security concerns, but I get the same message with some American sites.  I then decide if the site is safe, or if I am not willing to proceed.  However, it isn't the US government blocking those sites, it is either Microsoft or my security programme.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Doll

« Reply #929 on: September 26, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
I've never had any issue opening any site from Canada or, when travelling in the US, in America.  Sometimes, Russian sites are blocked as security concerns, but I get the same message with some American sites.  I then decide if the site is safe, or if I am not willing to proceed.  However, it isn't the US government blocking those sites, it is either Microsoft or my security programme.
So, you're in Canada and are saying that nothing is blocked in the USA?
How do you know that the reasons are?

Offline Drew

« Reply #930 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »

It is always quite amazing to me that Russian born people can live in USA for many, many years; yet they still believe the propaganda about USA that they grew up with in Soviet times, or even after Soviet times.

And this comes from those who are otherwise intelligent and know full well the large and continual lies that the Soviet citizens lived with and found out were lies after collapse of Soviet Union.

Offline fathertime

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #931 on: September 26, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
That is ok

Of course it is 'ok' but how does Holder's resignation relate to V. Putin?...or should it be assumed that you were having an impulse control problem when you typed it here because they appear to be two different subjects ?

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Boethius

« Reply #932 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »

I also stated when I travel to the U.S.  In the past two years - Hawaii, California, Washington state, Idaho, Montana, Minnesota, Illinois, and Florida.  Not once did I ever have problems accessing any site.  I do notice that with Russian sites, my security programmes do block some as being "suspicious".  They do that with some Western sites as well.  If I know the site, I go around the block.  If I don't, I usually don't.

lordtiberius

« Reply #933 on: September 26, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »

or should it be assumed that you were having an impulse control problem when you typed it here because they appear to be two different subjects ?

Fathertime!   

why are you creating antagonism?

Offline fathertime

« Reply #934 on: September 26, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »
why are you creating antagonism?

If you think that question was antagonism that is REALLY lame.  I was giving you further opportunity to clarify how you related Eric Holder's resignation to Putin.  Just because I did you the courtesy of asking you a question that doesn't equate to it being antagonistic.  On the surface they appear like to two different topics and trying to figure out how you related them together could have been interesting, but based on your strange defensive responses I am suspecting your original statement was just pure silliness, so I'll just leave it at that if that is how it has to be.   :)

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

lordtiberius

« Reply #935 on: September 26, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »
I withdraw my comment

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #936 on: September 27, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »
Boe, the US 'internet" does same- quite often I can't get to some Russian sources. They just don't say it openly here.

Brain, I want brain.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

lordtiberius

« Reply #937 on: September 27, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
For Doll

lordtiberius

« Reply #938 on: September 29, 2014, 06:12:12 AM »
They don't call Moscow
 - a Nobel Peace Prize Winner

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-dont-call-moscow-theres-234603911.html

Offline Boethius

« Reply #939 on: October 06, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
Disinformation campaigns, a staple of KGB policy toward the West in the 1970's and 1980's, have returned, and are slightly more sophisticated.  Here is a recent disinformation campaign, tied to numerous Russian sources, this one, from Russia's ultra nationalists.  We see the effects even among unthinking Westerners (not, generally, on this forum) who ape the terms "Banderites" and "fascist junta" to describe Ukraine's current government.  Excerpt, but it is an interesting article at the link -

Material Evidence is a photojournalism art gallery documenting various aspects of the conflicts in Syria and Ukraine, claiming to give "the whole reality about the countries involvoed in civil war" and posting the question "who's next?"

Prior to arriving in New York, the exhibit toured in Berlin and was promoted by Russian network RT, where organizers lashed out against the perils of democracy:

“In the last decades the international community has been observing, once again, a distortion of what is considered the ‘rules of democracy’, which are constantly broken by political dictatorships,” organizers of the exposition say. Democracy, they argue, should result in minimizing conflicts and confrontations. Instead, the drive for democracy is tainted in blood.

The messages on their official site do little to help viewers understand more. Below is an excerpt (grammar preserved, emphasis added):

The evens of the last months in Ukraine have almost led to the dissolution of Ukraine as a sovereign country.

Bloody collisions on the «Maidan Independence Square» in Kiev resulted in an upsurge of nationalists-banderovtsy groups on the ground who where the main force behind the overthrow of the last president. This uprising could not be ignored by the Eastern parts of Ukraine, which are mostly populated with Russian-speaking people. The residents of the eastern and southern regions of Ukraine strongly oppose «benserovtsy» and «Westerner Oligarchs» who had come to power. Accordingly the Autonomous Republic of Crimea held a referendum on the separation from the Ukraine and its reunification with Russia.

While the curator of the NYC gallery states that the Material Evidence event was “backed by crowdfunding and private fundraising efforts,” RT’s coverage admits that Material Evidence is organized by Zhurnalistskaya Pravda (Journalistic Truth, JT), a Moscow-based newspaper with a heavy anti-Ukrainian slant ( a recent article mockingly asks readers how many Kharkiv residents will survive until the spring).  Journalistic Truth is also advertising a number of cash prizes for journalism via the Material Evidence site totaling over $93,000. In other words, they are not on a shoestring ‘crowdsourced’ budget.

http://ukrainianpolicy.com/new-yorks-anti-ukrainian-art-gallery-and-the-far-right-russian-network-behind-it/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:49:48 PM by Boethius »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #940 on: October 06, 2014, 01:03:23 PM »
Disinformation campaigns, a staple of KGB policy toward the West in the 1970's and 1980's, have returned, and are slightly more sophisticated.  Here is a recent disinformation campaign, tied to numerous Russian sources, this one, from Russia's ultra nationalists.  We see the effects even among unthinking Westerners (not, generally, on this forum) who ape the terms "Banderites" and "fascist junta" to describe Ukraine's current government.  Excerpt, but it is an interesting article at the link -

http://ukrainianpolicy.com/new-yorks-anti-ukrainian-art-gallery-and-the-far-right-russian-network-behind-it/

Which more or less proves that "Russian Times" and other Putin financed efforts are repositories for "journalists" who could not otherwise find paying work in the West.

Offline JayH

« Reply #941 on: October 07, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
Putin Leads State Campaign to Close the Russian Mind - The Washington Post
The editorial of The Washington Post writes about the decision of the Russia’s government that suspends the country’s participation in FLEX, a highly respected, 21-year-old student exchange program that brings Russian teenagers to the United States for a year of study.

Censor.NET reports about this, citing The Washington Post.
Read also: Russia Suspended the Largest Russian-American Educational Program - Tefft

"Pavel Astakhov, the country's child rights ombudsman, explained that Russia had to cancel the Future Leaders Exchange (FLEX) after a student decided to stay in America after his program ended - with "a U.S. homosexual couple."
The decision is one of many swipes Russia's government has taken at the West lately as tensions over Ukraine continue. It also reflects many of the strands of intellectual cowardice and cultural reaction that Russia's leaders, led by President Vladimir Putin, have over the past several years woven into a mandate to rule.
Read also: NATO Can Put Troops Wherever It Wants To - New Secretary General Stoltenberg
There is homophobia. Mr. Putin's government has engaged in an evil assault on one of history's most vulnerable minorities. Russia last year adopted a law forbidding " propaganda of nontraditional sexual practices " among minors.
There is xenophobia. The American Councils for International Education, which runs FLEX, avoids pushing a political agenda on the students, leaving it up to them and their American hosts to engage in a cultural exchange that might - or might not - involve discussion of international politics. "For nine long months, not a single day passed when I didn't talk about Russia with enormous, boundless love," a FLEX alumna recalled on social media after her government axed the program. We don't believe the Russian government is afraid of a student or two overstaying the exchange. Rather, the country's rulers fear what the vast majority who return will be like when they get back - less susceptible to Mr. Putin's Cold War mentality and rhetoric premised on painting the West as a perpetual adversary.
See also: U.S. Armored Forces Started to Deploy in Baltic States. PHOTOS
Then there is Mr. Putin's ongoing crusade against civil society and anti-corruption movements. His government has persecuted nongovernmental organizations, including human rights campaigners, gay rights organizations, women's groups and anti-discrimination outfits, passing laws that designate them "foreign agents."
From Mr. Putin's perspective at the head of a highly corrupt cronyist state, organizations such as American Councils pose a threat merely because they have integrity. The competition for a slot in one of its prized exchange programs isn't rigged to benefit local bosses; for once, students succeed based on merit. Countries such as Kyrgyzstan, Georgia and Ukraine have gone one better and tapped American Councils to administer their university admissions exams. Mr. Putin has instead decided to limit the organization's work.
Read also: Russia Brain Drain after Putin Crackdown - BBC
Mark another chapter in the state-led campaign to close the Russian mind. As usual, it will be Russia's people who suffer," The Washington Post concludes. Source: http://en.censor.net.ua/n305719
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #942 on: October 08, 2014, 02:45:33 AM »
Putin Leads State Campaign to Close the Russian Mind - The Washington Post
The editorial of The Washington Post writes about the decision of the Russia’s government that suspends the country’s participation in FLEX, a highly respected, 21-year-old student exchange program that brings Russian teenagers to the United States for a year of study.

On both my trips I met young people who had been on student exchange visits to the USA, which I realise now were almost certainly part of the FLEX programme.  They had returned to Russia full of the possibilities that they could see for their own country to move forward by picking up on certain ideas that they could see worked well where they were hosted, and could work equally well in their home cities.  Were they able to implement these dreams?  Unfortunately I have no idea.

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #943 on: October 11, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
Interesting article for Russian speakers, about the individuals who have been transported back to Russia. Russian victims of the war:
Груз-200 из Украины в Россию

http://echo.msk.ru/blog/evasiljeva/1386700-echo/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #944 on: October 25, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »
For Putin supporters:
Recent quote from the President of Belarus:

“Don’t believe Western Ukrainians are Fascists, they are normal people,” Lukashenko said.

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #945 on: October 28, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
Russians are fooling themselves if they think they have the freedoms that we have here in the West. Not even close. For example, the media here is allowed to write articles about the NSA spying on citizens in the USA. We have freedom of speech. We have TV shows that criticize the government. Shows like that are commonplace. In Russia? There is the fear of being locked up for some idiotic reason. Like the mothers who are complaining about their dead soldiers returning from Ukraine.
  We have heard reports from the pro-Russian rebels, who say the government in Kiev is a fascist regime. Russians hear that report. Rebels repeat it, and yet the recent election has shown us that the politicians who have been elected are NOT fascists.
Relevant article:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/10/28/ukraine_wins

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #946 on: October 28, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #947 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
Russians are fooling themselves if they think they have the freedoms that we have here in the West. Not even close. For example, the media here is allowed to write articles about the NSA spying on citizens in the USA. We have freedom of speech. We have TV shows that criticize the government. Shows like that are commonplace. In Russia? There is the fear of being locked up for some idiotic reason. Like the mothers who are complaining about their dead soldiers returning from Ukraine.
  We have heard reports from the pro-Russian rebels, who say the government in Kiev is a fascist regime. Russians hear that report. Rebels repeat it, and yet the recent election has shown us that the politicians who have been elected are NOT fascists.
Relevant article:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/10/28/ukraine_wins

That is a very good article about the election which just occurred in Ukraine; everyone who claims to be interested in the future of Ukraine should read it.

excerpt
"For the first time in its young history as an independent state, the Ukrainian government is now one overwhelmingly composed of figures oriented towards a Western future. This is what most scares Vladimir Putin, who is unlikely to relent in his efforts to render the country a failed state for having the audacity to move out of Russia's orbit. Now, more than ever, Ukraine needs the help of those who profess to stand for the ideals of freedom and democracy."

Offline JayH

« Reply #948 on: October 29, 2014, 02:05:10 AM »
Russians are fooling themselves if they think they have the freedoms that we have here in the West. 

One of the things that makes me laugh(not) is Ukraine has a free media and open information now. One of the big ongoing battles in Ukraine was the attempt of the Yanukovych regime to control the media and information flow.

The fact that they were unsuccessful proved to be a major factor in their demise-- something Putin will have almost certainly taken note of.
Open discussion is fundamental to the democratic process -in the west we take it as a given right and expectation.

In the current crisis one of the first major Russian pushes in the east was to get control of the information flow--to try and use control to promote the pro Kremlin propaganda. Even now-- how would those in the east have any idea of what is really going on? We see people who have fled to Russia being used to promote anti-Kiev propaganda that can easily be seen to be ridiculous-- that is if you can see alternative views!!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

The Propaganda War- banned web sites list banned in Russia
« Reply #949 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:30 AM »
The web site that lists banned web sites was banned in Russia

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2208
Total: 2217

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM