It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: RIP Rising Russian Tennis Star passes away  (Read 17903 times)

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: RIP Rising Russian Tennis Star passes away
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
RIP young lady.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/archive/segment/54c10ee402a760dc9600002a

While any death at age 23 is tragic, the only reason this has made the news is that she has been compared to Anna Kournikova in the looks department.  While she was a pretty young woman, "Russian tennis star" is totally inaccurate - her career earnings were $5,351, her highest world ranking was 947, and there are several players younger than her in the top 20 who have already earnt millions of dollars.  Her crowning achievement as a player was to reach the quarter-finals of an ITF Challenger tournament - hardly the stuff of legends.

That said, I'm sorry that her family have lost a daughter, and hope that time will eventually heal their wounds. (I know that's trite, but what more can you say?)

Offline Gator

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:40:37 PM »
While any death at age 23 is tragic, the only reason this has made the news is that she has been compared to Anna Kournikova in the looks department.  While she was a pretty young woman, "Russian tennis star" is totally inaccurate - her career earnings were $5,351, her highest world ranking was 947....

Yes tragic.  And while ranked only 947, Anna Kournikova was not much better.  I don't believe Anna ever won a pro tournament. 

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:00:03 AM »
Yes tragic.  And while ranked only 947, Anna Kournikova was not much better.  I don't believe Anna ever won a pro tournament.

Sorry, Gator, but you've got to be kidding.  When her name is mentioned, so many people simply think of her looks and assume she had no talent.  She was ranked as high as No 8 in the world in singles, and was No 1 in doubles.  In her first US Open, aged just 15, she made the fourth round in the singles and the quarter-finals in the doubles.

Although she didn't win any WTA singles titles, she did win two ITF tournaments, and made the semi-finals at Wimbledon in 1997 aged just 16.  Her 16 WTA doubles titles included two Grand Slams with Martina Hingis - Australian Opens in 1999 (aged 17) and 2002 (aged 20) - and she was a losing semi-finalist and finalist at the French Open, and twice a semi-finalist at Wimbledon.  She also made finals in mixed doubles at the US Open and Wimbledon.

She was only 21 when she retired due to on-going back problems, yet had already earnt over $3.5 million in prize money.  It's a shame that we'll never know what she could have achieved had her body stayed sound.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »
Sorry, Gator, but you've got to be kidding.  When her name is mentioned, so many people simply think of her looks and assume she had no talent.  She was ranked as high as No 8 in the world in singles, and was No 1 in doubles.  In her first US Open, aged just 15, she made the fourth round in the singles and the quarter-finals in the doubles.

Although she didn't win any WTA singles titles, she did win two ITF tournaments, and made the semi-finals at Wimbledon in 1997 aged just 16.  Her 16 WTA doubles titles included two Grand Slams with Martina Hingis - Australian Opens in 1999 (aged 17) and 2002 (aged 20) - and she was a losing semi-finalist and finalist at the French Open, and twice a semi-finalist at Wimbledon.  She also made finals in mixed doubles at the US Open and Wimbledon.

She was only 21 when she retired due to on-going back problems, yet had already earnt over $3.5 million in prize money.  It's a shame that we'll never know what she could have achieved had her body stayed sound.

Is earnt really a word in NZ?   :D

Offline jone

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »

Her body still looks pretty sound to me:

I have to put a note at the bottom:   Larry1 will be very upset that I posted this picture above.  He'll be upset that I beat him to it.  (Trouble with the keyboard this morning, my friend?)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:35:22 AM by jone »
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »
Her body still looks pretty sound to me:

I have to put a note at the bottom:   Larry1 will be very upset that I posted this picture above.  He'll be upset that I beat him to it.  (Trouble with the keyboard this morning, my friend?)

I would never post such a pic. It objectifies womyn. ;D

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
I would never post such a pic. It objectifies womyn. ;D

Yeah, Broads don't like that

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
Is earnt really a word in NZ?   :D

Yes.  Why do you ask?

Offline Gator

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
Sorry, Gator, but you've got to be kidding. 

Not kidding, just forgetful combined with not caring.  Thanks for setting the record straight.  I do recall Anna receiving far more attention than what I thought she deserved.  Pretty girl, and she leveraged he looks to become a multi-millionaire. 

BTW, I played a lot of tennis when younger.  Highest rating, 5.0, maybe 5.5 if I had a lenient evaluator.  Good enough to be competitive but not good enough to take the club championship (never made it to the finals).  Stopped playing when I could no longer reach the corners and had to say "Good shot" rather than blast one past my opponent.  Stopped following it on TV too.   Disliked doubles.  Found golf instead as one can be a physical wreck and still play. 

Maybe I am wrong again, yet 21 is not exactly young for rising tennis stars. 

Maybe Sergei Federov did something to injure Anna's back.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 05:34:13 PM »
I do recall Anna receiving far more attention than what I thought she deserved.

That was a pretty common reaction, but not really borne out by the facts.

Quote from: Gator
Pretty girl, and she leveraged her looks to become a multi-millionaire.

She was a good enough player to become a multi-millionaire solely from her tennis prize money.  The fact that her modelling career was also successful doesn't negate that fact.

Maybe I am wrong again, yet 21 is not exactly young for rising tennis stars.

You're not wrong, but she won her first Grand Slam tournament at 17 - that's pretty awesome in my book.  She had been troubled by various injuries for quite some time before she finally called it quits.  When I look at how her contemporaries have fared (Hingis, the Williams sisters, Henin and so on), I do wonder just how much of a mark she could have made IF she had stayed sound.  Of course, her subsequent life has been pretty awesome too!

Offline Gator

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:47:17 PM »

She was a good enough player to become a multi-millionaire solely from her tennis prize money.  The fact that her modelling career was also successful doesn't negate that fact.

Star athletes make the big money from endorsements and how it is invested, not prize money. 

You're not wrong 

Thanks, I earnt that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:49:37 PM by Gator »

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
Star athletes make the big money from endorsements and how it is invested, not prize money. 

Of course, but her prize money alone would set most people up for life.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »
Yes.  Why do you ask?

I was just wondering. I've never seen it used

Offline Gator

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 07:37:13 PM »

You must have dreamt a lot in school because you learnt nothing.   I too thought Kiwi misspelt it.   So I lookt it up in the dictionary.  It is acceptable yet "uncommonly used," proving once again that Kiwi is an uncommon man. 

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
You must have dreamt a lot in school because you learnt nothing.   I too thought Kiwi misspelt it.   So I lookt it up in the dictionary.  It is acceptable yet "uncommonly used," proving once again that Kiwi is an uncommon man.

I'm open and flexible enough that I can learnt new words. That's the way I rollt  ;D

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »
Yeah, Broads don't like that

But Dames do.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 04:02:04 AM »

You must have dreamt a lot in school because you learnt nothing.   I too thought Kiwi misspelt it.   So I lookt it up in the dictionary.

:D

It is acceptable yet "uncommonly used," proving once again that Kiwi is an uncommon man. 

It's extremely common in parts of the world where real English is spoken.  There are various other irregular verbs which follow the same pattern, showing once again why non-native speakers have no chance of acquiring our complete lexicon without resorting to grievous bodily (or grammatical) harm.  :'(

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/learnt-vs-learned

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 07:15:08 AM »
There are various other irregular verbs which follow the same pattern
The irritating aspect of irregular verbs - in any language - is that they usually include verbs that are most frequently used, as if this was responsible for messing them up ::).

Surprisingly for the orderly German mentality, regelmäßige verbs are defined "schwache Verben" (weak verbs), and unregelmäßige verbs "starke Verben" (strong verbs) :).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:17:41 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »
:D

It's extremely common in parts of the world where real English is spoken.  There are various other irregular verbs which follow the same pattern, showing once again why non-native speakers have no chance of acquiring our complete lexicon without resorting to grievous bodily (or grammatical) harm.  :'(

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/learnt-vs-learned

This most likely is the reason I've never seen it used. In this part of the world American English is King rather than the King's English. Comprende?  ;D

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/earnt

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 04:48:37 PM »
Comprende?  ;D

Jawohl!

Quote from: Faux Pas
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/earnt

I think you need to find another dictionary!

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 05:21:11 PM »
I think you need to find another dictionary!
Well, US Merriam-Webster and UK Oxford Dictionaries are each naturally upholding their own favo(u)red versions of the language ;) - and former Dominions/Commonwealth realms (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Union of South Africa) understandably are more influenced linguistically by Britain for historical reasons.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
Well, US Merriam-Webster and UK Oxford Dictionaries are each naturally upholding their own favo(u)red versions of the language ;) - and former Dominions/Commonwealth realms (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Union of South Africa) understandably are more influenced linguistically by Britain for historical reasons.

I'm just surprised that an institution as well-regarded as Merriam-Webster doesn't list this (and presumably doesn't include that version of the spelling for the other words in the link I provided to the OED).  I would have expected to see at least some reference along the lines of what Gator posted above.

Of this group, "learnt" is the most obvious one to supplant the "-ed" suffix.  "Learned" here is always used in the second sense of the word (learn-ed, as in intelligent, well-read, etc).  You never hear people say, for example, that they "learned something new today" - it's always "learnt."

Offline Gator

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
Fom Wiktionary:

earnt

1.(chiefly British, uncommonly used) simple past tense and past participle of earn

Usage

Written, this is an uncommon (<0.5% as common as earned in the British National Corpus) but entirely acceptable alternative form of the simple past and past participle earned. This form is, however, more commonly spoken than written. 

In my opinion, it looks bad and sounds bad, as if it were hill billy lingo.   I would expect anyone saying "earnt" to also use "ain't."

What is wrong with American English?  We spell faster (colour, enthrall), and use fewer syllables (aluminium)  We know how to pronounce "Herb's herbs."  And I do not need to use captions when watching an American film ("Cor blimey guv'nor!").   I can rest my case with one word - Cockney.    Please don't counter with ebonics.  However, what do I know, having been raised in Appalachia (supposedly our accent was close to Old English because we were isolated for generations).

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
A strong US school of thought has long been in favour of "simplifying" written English - e.g. tonite rather than tonight.

Personally, I have long come to the conclusion that simplifications all too often mean reducing things to lower, mass-acceptable levels: as a non-linguistic example, consider fast food vs. cuisine ;).

Years ago a referendum to "simplify" written German was fortunately dismissed by voters.
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2235
Total: 2245

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM